Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sister Thekla

Thekla nods. "It's the heat, I've always said it. They grow up without knowing the bite of winter. The cold draws in strength, makes you tough." Thekla has been enjoying Elise's company. While the scholar is still not Ulrican, she is Nordland, and that matters. (That Thekla was born in Reikland has never mattered; she is Nordlandic in her soul.) Her own certainty is drawn less from books, which she took to somewhat half-heartedly, and more from sheer family conviction. (The books will come out later, when she has to shout about theology. On matters of folk wisdom, family comes first.)

"Of course, we only ever had it on holidays as a special treat. I've heard that in the far south, they even refuse to touch the leaves directly - they them in cloth! Shameful."

Thekla turns, looking over as Elise points.

"Ah, Rosamunde, wasn't it! Get over here, woman, we have drinks!"

quote:

Sister Thekla, Initiate of Ulric
Motivation: Extremely Ulrican

Short-Term Ambition: Befriend a Knight of the White Wolf and learn to fight better.
Long-Term Ambition: Raise the Nordlander Ulricans to the leadership of the Cult of Ulric.
XP: 465 (Spent: 350)

Weapon Skill: 35
Ballistic Skill: 22
Strength: 30
Toughness: 37 (+5)
Initiative: 26
Agility: 35 (+5)
Dexterity: 25
Intelligence: 32
Willpower: 43 (+5)
Fellowship: 35
Wounds: 16
Fate: 3
Resilience: 3
Movement: 4

Skills: Athletics 5, Charm 5, Cool 5, Endurance 5, Gossip 3, Intuiton 5, Leadership 3, Lore (Reikland) 3, Lore (Theology) 5, Perception 5, Pray 10, Melee (Basic) 5, Research 5
Talents: Doomed, Suave, Hardy, Ambidextrous, Animal Affinity, Read/Write, Bless (Ulric)
Trappings: Clothing, dagger, pouch, sling bag (Writing Kit, 7 sheets of parchment), religious symbol of Ulric, robes, 7p

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sister Thekla

"I'm not one for tricks myself. No skin off my nose if a bunch of fools think themselves stronger than they are, of course, I just won't pretend to be weak."

Ulric is as honest as possible, after all.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 10, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sister Thekla

"Mm...I've no call for a lord's gratitude without knowing if the lord has mettle." She looks over at Elise. "But it does seem an interesting challenge, doesn't it? And if he's so known..." Thekla shrugs. "It might be a worthy task in the name of Ulric. And banditry is worth punishing."

She stands, speaking up. "I assume you fear his fellows will try to free him during the trip, yes?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sister Thekla

Thekla's eyes narrow.

"Craven? I am no craven." She raises her fist and becomes, somehow, louder. "The rabbit lives dying in every moment. He sees his death behind every tree, in every shadow. He fears the worst, and the worst is served upon him in every moment. He flees his death, and he dies in every instant. The wolf sees his death and laughs. He knows that he will not die, for all will remember his final stand, and he will live forever. Thus says the Liber Lupus, the words of Ulric his own self, and I am his wolf!"

She points at Volkhard.

"Bring me an axe."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sister Thekla

Grabbing Bless and some stats. Does that axe I asked for count as a hand weapon?

Sister Thekla moves with the confidence of someone who has no worries about wolf or bear attacks. Beasts have always left her alone, after all. "Are rats really that dangerous, then?" She has put her hood up to protect her hair from the rain and muck, but seems largely unconcerned with the mud coating the base of her robe.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sister Thekla

"Ah. That makes sense." Thekla nods. "Of course, the truth of it is simple - you shouldn't be afraid of your death when it comes anyway. Meet it with glory, and your name will burn long after you go. It is the fear that makes it so terrible, after all. Not that you should throw your life away, either, of course. It's like - well, like Lefty there." Thekla leans down to pat the dog's head. "He's not afraid of what's going to come, is he? No he's not. He's gonna fight his hardest, aren't you, little guy? Yes you are, yes you are..."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sister Thekla

"You'd be a fool to remove his gag in these woods. Or do you think a man in his position would not begin shouting for his allies?"

Thekla shakes her head.

"If you take off his gag, do it with a knife against his throat - because otherwise you risk a fight when we are not at full strength. It is one thing to be brave and another to be foolish."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sister Thekla

"If it's the cave of a beast, it shouldn't be such a big deal - most are more than happy to leave you alone if you don't cause them trouble. ...usually. If it is the cave of a beastman or bandits, however...well, at least we're already prepared for trouble."

Thekla shrugs.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Thekla

Thekla jolts awake, looking around. Darkness isn't great. "Gngh?" She squints, grabbing her axe and rising to her feet once Karl gets out of the way. She mutters a quick prayer to Ulric to guide her senses, looking about her. It's dark, and while she can't usually see that well in the dark, she's tensed up and has the backing of Ulric behind her senses. Hopefully.

7 on a Perception roll; 31 Perception before darkness penalties. Spending 25 XP to boost Agi a little more, working my way up.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Thekla

Thekla frowns. That's - a lot of people, but they don't seem to be aware. She shifts in the dark, gesturing to the others to follow her to the bend. She speaks as quietly as she can, axe at the ready. "Six men at least, and a woman leading them. They'll be looking for us. We missed a passage back here that we can use for ambush." She isn't sure what's back there, but she trusts it far more than the mob outside. "Arms ready. Ulric is with us."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sister Thekla

"While I prefer to fight if they are indeed brigands...we can choose our battlefield." While Thekla doesn't like fleeing, Ulric doesn't forbid either that or choosing when to engage, after all. "I will follow whichever path we take."

It's fairly clear she'd like to prove her bravery but isn't going to push the matter.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sister Thekla

"Aye. I'm all for this ambush." She smiles. "Ulric is with us this day - I can feel it in my bones. But I suppose we can try to take one alive."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sister Thekla

Thekla has lagged behind the others - she has never moved that quickly, all things considered. She is a deliberate, focused woman. As the battle begins, so does her prayer. Her voice rises above the din of battle, and a terrible fervor flows with it.

"Rise, wolves! Sing praises to your king! Father Ulric, whose biting axe is the winter's own teeth, watches us this day! Watch, Frozen Lord, for we are wolves! In blood we are born, in winter forged! Sing, wolves! Sing praises of the Winter King! Our fangs are his mighty axe, our cries a paean to his glory! Our lives are a light in the cold and dark, and we fear not, for the ice is our father and battle our bride! Go, wolves, slay the foes of the King of Gods!"

She raises her axe to the sky, as Ulric's blessing settles over the field. There is no light of divine miracle, no obvious change - but skill and power flow into some of the party.

"ULRIC LIVES!"

Thekla, Karl and Rosamunde each get +10 WS for 6 Rounds, I assume ticking down on my action.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 14, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Thekla

Thekla's retreat involves a lot of chopping at anything in her way, and when she arrives, it is with a splash of blood over her facepaint - not her own. She is smiling broadly as she emerges from the chaotic woods, having finally caught up to everyone else.

"Ulric was with us, eh? Pity about the beasts getting riled, though - I'd have loved to take their heads."

She looks down at the armor.

"And there is Ulric's gift, yeah? Lovely armor, just a bit of blood."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Thekla

Thekla takes the jerkin and one of the spare axes, to wield beside the one she already had. She nods. "Seems our best plan - we still have a job to do."

Grabbing the jerkin, and also have spent enough XP to finish tier 1 of Priest.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Thekla

“Sounds to me like other people avoid you because you’re too drat smug, elf.” She bares her teeth in what might be a smile. “You’ve a funny way of offering a favor, with so many insults. Are you so sure of yourself that you want to insult the honor of a winter wolf?”

She wiped the blood from her face, flicking her fingers to splash it on the elf.

“Or do you not remember what happens to your vaunted woods in winter?”

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Thekla

For a moment, Thekla just stands there, her eyes narrowing. She tilts her head slightly, not unlike a mildly confused dog.

“You say a lone wolf. It seems the vaunted wisdom of the elves is all myth, and the knowledge of wizards is nothing but talk. Or for all your magic, can you not see when a pack of wolves stand together? Ulric’s chosen are never alone.”

As she speaks, her fist flies for Grayleaf’s jaw.

“If you would have peace, remember that when you apologize, you should mean it.”

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 20, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Thekla

Before

Thekla stares at Grayleaf for several minutes after he picks up his staff...then nods, smiling. "Aye - maintain this and we'll be fine friends, elf. You've at least more of the winter's bite than the soft dandies of your kind I've seen in cities."

Now

Thekla's nostrils flare. Pork? Pork would be good...but this festival is odd. Rhya? Taal? She shakes her head. Not her style. This isn't Ulrican, that much she knows.

"It's certainly not the Winter Wolf. Could be Taal, but if so, not one I've ever seen." 'Druchii' sounds like an insult, but not one Thekla understands. "That said, Taalites would know how to down a boar. So would Ulricans, for that matter. So if they're as awful at hunting as you say, who knows?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sister Thekla

Thekla raises a fist in greeting to the wolf-clad man. "The carriage services aren't the best out here, brother." She glancs over at the naked villagers, then back at the man. "What brings you to this...whatever the hell it is? I didn't expect to see another Ulrican anywhere that didn't have a temple."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sister Thekla

"Something like that. Traveling companions, some friends." Thekla shrugs. "I'm on pilgrimage right now, and they either need my strength or are strong enough to be worth considering. This one's yours?" She glances at the well-dressed man.