Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rosamunde Echstein

Rosamunde's expression brightens noticeably once she realizes she won't be drinking alone while she waits out this miserable weather.

"Well, if it isn't Sister Thekla and Elise! What a sight for sore eyes!"

She gratefully takes a seat, pausing only to leave her dripping coat by the fire (and within line of sight, of course; can't trust anyone these days). She waves to the barkeep and indicates that she wants the same thing her companions are having, then turns her attention to them.

"So, what brings you to this part of the world? I've been chasing gossip of skilled duelists headed this way, but it's all been a wild goose chase so far."

quote:

Name: Rosamunde Echstein
Species: Human
Class: Courtier
Career: Duelist (Fencer-Silver 3)

Height: 5'9"
Hair: Red
Eyes: Green

XP: 125 (Spent: 90/215)

Weapon Skill: 33
Ballistic Skill: 45
Strength: 30
Toughness: 31
Initiative: 30 (+3)
Agility: 30 (+2)
Dexterity: 36
Intelligence: 30
Willpower: 27
Fellowship: 34
Wounds: 11 (+3 Hardy)
Fate: 3
Resilience: 3
Movement: 4

Motivation: Hotheaded Braggart (Rosamunde cannot resist rising to a challenge, even a perceived one, and is equally quick to challenge others when her pride is wounded).

Short-Term Ambition: Force a more famous duelist to admit defeat in a public bout. Preferably Sebastien, but he could be anywhere by now.

Long-Term Ambition: To open her own successful dueling school.

Skills: Animal Care +3, Athletics +5, Dodge +10, Cool +5, Endurance +5, Haggle +5, Heal +4, Intuition +5, Language (Classical) +5, Melee (Basic) +3, Melee (Rapier) +10, Perception +5, Ranged (Bow) +5
Talents: Doomed, Hardy, Marksman, Pure Soul, Step Aside, Suave
Trappings: Rapier, Dagger, Leather Jack, Leather Skullcap, Courtly Garb, Pouch (Tweezers, Ear Pick, Comb), Sling Bag (Clothing, 2 Bandages), 4 Silver Shillings

XP Expenditures (90/215):

Language (Classical) +5-50
Heal +4-40

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rosamunde Echstein

Rosamunde swigs her drink and smiles. "Not unless you've picked up fortune-reading since last we met. One or two more towns without a duelist willing to take a bet or a noble looking to have their wounded pride bandaged, and I'll have to take up caravan guard work."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rosamunde Echstein

"Ha! At least wait until the rain stops before you rile up a mob of sore losers and get yourself thrown out."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rosamunde Echstein

Finishing her drink, Rosamunde sets it down and shakes her head. Was this really what she was coming to? Ah well, no avoiding it. It couldn't always be flashy duels that ended at first blood. Sometimes you had to get your hands dirty to get by.

"Not that I disagree with you about making enemies and becoming corpses, Elise, but I've got 4 shillings to my name and they're headed my way. Might as well put my talents to use. With any luck, a big enough crowd will chase off this bandit's friends and I can get paid for nothing more than being a watchdog."

She stands and waves to Siegward, turning slightly to let him see the rapier at her hip.

"You have my sword."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rosamunde Echstein

Her coat was still damp, yet here she was about to go back out into this awful weather again, and all for an uncertain reward. Still, even if they had to split the pot, surely the head of a notorious bandit would be worth a good amount of silver. And Siegward wouldn't be the type to screw them over, right?

She listens to Friedrich's suggestion with mixed feelings. "I don't mind the thought of sidestepping an ambush, but I will say that walking a game trail in this weather will be even more miserable than the road. If we take it, I hope it's not flooded out."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rosamunde Echstein

Rosamunde ducks a stray branch and mentally curses herself as a fool for the fourth time in the past hour. At this rate they were going to be caught out in the woods after sunset in the middle of this never-ending storm, and this was certainly not like the forest of her childhood. The way the trees crowded overhead and cast shadows was the same, yes, but this place was... more hostile. The biggest thing she'd ever seen in those woods was a young bear, snuffling in the underbrush at a great distance. This place looked like beastmen might be behind the next tree. Or at least, that's how it seemed to her inexperienced eyes.

Just keep your mind on the money, she reminded herself. And she might as well join the conversation to keep her mind off this wretched forest. "I wouldn't worry about your dooming. Nothing against the followers of Morr, but I think they're wrong as often as they're right. They said my mother would 'Meet her end in the blackest of night', but she collapsed at high noon in the middle of a marketplace. I suppose divine visions are... hard to interpret."

Picking up Beat Blade with the XP.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rosamunde Echstein

"We'd be terribly unlucky if we were actually close enough for his 'friends' to hear him. We haven't taken the expected path, after all, so unless they've somehow seen through us I don't expect they're anywhere near. That being said..."

Rosamunde crouches and looks the man in the eye, trying her level best to look intimidating. "If you do try anything, I'll be sorely tempted to put a sword in your eye. I'm being paid for delivering you alive, but no one said in one piece, understand? Now let's give the man some water. If he dehydrates he'll cramp up on the march and slow us down."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rosamunde Echstein

At the mention of unknown tracks and possibly-inhabited caves, Rosamunde immediately thinks of Beastmen and then immediately squashes the thought. She'd never seen a living one and Sigmar willing she never would. No sense in worrying about the boogeymen of the forest when there was a known threat looking for them.

"I'd be happy to get out of the rain, but a cave is... I don't like having my back to the wall. Especially when I'm not sure of what's between me and the wall. At the same time, we know someone's about, or at least they were, judging by that campsite. I guess it's the best option. I can take first watch if you'd like."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rosamunde Echstein

Rosamunde half-starts from the depths of her thoughts. Voices? She draws her sword carefully, trying to prevent it from rasping against the scabbard, and hisses "Manfred. You hear that? Sounds like company."

She glances back into the cave nervously, trying to decide whether or not she should head back and alert the others, and decides against it. She couldn't leave Manfred alone and if whoever was out there found them, the others would hear the noise soon enough.

Rolled 45 vs Perception 35. Picked up 2 Agility advances.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rosamunde Echstein

"Courage, Manfred. I've already said I'm no fan of having my back to the wall, but we're in a natural chokepoint. They might not even find us."

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Rosamunde starts going through a quick series of stretching exercises to shake off the stiffness of guard duty. As Master Henryk had always said back in dueling school, the reason none of the old tales of legendary warriors ever mentioned mid-fight muscle cramps is because anyone who got one died.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rosamunde Echstein

Rosamunde (and presumably Manfred) had slipped out the back of the cave with the others once it became clear they'd found a way out. She listens to Friedrich's report, nodding slowly, and then speaks her mind.

"They found us once when we didn't even take the path they expected. They'll find us again. I say we turn this ambush around and deal with them once and for all."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rosamunde Echstein
Wounds 11/11 --Armor 1 (Head, Arms, Body) -- Fortune 3/3 -- Resolve 3/3 -- Advantage 3

Beastmen! She knew it! She'd only seen one once, and it had been dead at the time. An Ungor, half-rotten and staked upside-down to a tree on the edge of the estate Father cared for. He said that his men made examples of the rare beastmen that wandered into the noble's forests, and that it seemed to work. Small and pathetic as that thing had been, she wondered if such a display really impressed the beastmen, or if they simply didn't have a reason to invade in force.

She snaps back to awareness and curses under her breath as she realizes her introspection has just cost her the initiative. Better to get the bandits out of the way now so they'd have room to decide whether to fight or run from the beastmen. She charges across open ground, nearly slipping on the damp forest floor, but still manages to stab one of the bandits in the arm and assume a more stable dueling position.

Gain 2 advantage from Charging a Surprised enemy, namely one of the bandits that hasn't been hit yet.

SidekickBOTToday at 6:52 PM
@Dachshundofdoom: 1d100 vs 83 (WS 33 +10 Skill +20 Advantage +20 Surprised Target) = 82, SL 0 so 7 damage total before Toughness/Armor.

+1 Advantage for winning an opposed test.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rosamunde Echstein
Wounds 11/11 --Armor 1 (Head, Arms, Body) -- Fortune 3/3 -- Resolve 3/3

Rosamunde keeps her sword raised and her gaze steely until the bandit has backed off far enough, then turns and runs with the others, cursing to herself. What a gods-damned mess this had turned out to be.She couldn't even pretend she'd made it through that unharmed on the basis of skill; only half-slipping on a leaf had prevented that bandit from taking a chunk out of her arm. She had to get better at this if she was ever going to be more than "another egotistical little poo poo playing at being a warrior," as she'd heard city guards call duelists more than once. If that comparison stung, then wasn't it a little bit true? All the practice and rules and honor in the world weren't much use if you were dead or crippled.

Master Henryk had demonstrated pistols for them but refused to let the students practice with them. His opinion was that guns would be the future... once they weren't so prone to costing people fingers. Rosamunde, despite her ego, had always been a natural shot with her father's bow. Comparable skill with the rapier had only come through obsessive practice. She'd dismissed pistols as too easy, a coward's weapon, but maybe she'd reconsider that stance. The last few minutes had made fighting seem much less like a game you could afford to lose.

Buying +5 WS, +2 Initiative, +1 Agility, +1 Heal. I'm now at 5 in all career and advances and skills, but I'll probably stick around to grab Distract before I move on to Duellist. Of course, that depends on how advantage shakes out (since most of the Duelist talents are advantage-related), and also on how quickly I can get my hands on a pistol.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rosamunde Echstein
Wounds 11/11 --Armor 1 (Head, Arms, Body) -- Fortune 3/3 -- Resolve 3/3

"Not really how I hoped this would go, but most of us are still alive. I hate to sound cold, but I'm not volunteering to go looking for those two. They both looked like they could take care of themselves, especially the witch hunter."

Rosamunde surveys the battered and bloody equipment, then the others, and shrugs. "I'm already better armed and armored than anyone here. Take what you like and I might scavenge anything left untouched."

I'm already pretty armored so I'll take a pair of leggings and the mail coif only if literally nobody else takes them. Everything else can go in the sell pile for all I care.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rosamunde Echstein
Wounds 11/11 --Armor 3 (Partial Head) 1 (All) -- Fortune 3/3 -- Resolve 3/3

John Dyne posted:

"Nice work with the beastmen. I'm definitely impressed. So, pray answer me a simple question." The elf leans against his staff, eyeing the group before him. "Just what in the gently caress are a bunch of Imperials doing in this part of the forest, anyways? Are you mad? Suicidal? Stupid? Distinct mixtures of the three? The woods are FULL of those accursed beasts and here you all are, bumbling through like inbred children, right into a battle with the idiot creatures, and yet you somehow bested them."

He shakes his head. "Truly, I am gobsmacked. Kurnous must favor you lot for some unfathomable reason, else you'd be a snack for the carrion feeders."

Rosamunde's initial surprise at the elf's arrival and his ragged appearance is replaced with a spike of misplaced anger. Her ego was already bruised enough without some knife-ear implying she was an idiot.

"I don't know who you are or what you want, elf, but if you always make a habit of introducing yourself by insulting large groups of armed strangers then I very much doubt we're the idiots. We're transporting a dangerous criminal and we'd hoped to avoid his compatriots. How they tracked us down off the beaten path, I don't know."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rosamunde Echstein

Rosamunde's retort towards the elf dies into a smile as Thekla takes care of the problem. Her honor technically satisfied, she moves her hand away from her blade and nods at Friedrich and Wolfgang.

"Let's move along before the beastmen reorganize, if indeed they can be called organized to begin with. I'm in no hurry to find out how many more live here."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rosamunde Echstein

Rosamunde looks uneasily between the forest behind them and the village full of half-naked peasants ahead of them, suddenly unsure of which is worse.

"Sister Thekla, you're more likely to know than anyone: does that look... right? Religiously? I know Taal and Rhya are associated with that sort of thing, but you never know with these backwater types..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rosamunde Echstein

The man in fine garments immediately stands out to Rosamunde, whose own clothes are perhaps a little too nice for running through the woods at night. Of course, the man stands out in general: he's the only person wearing something more sophisticated than a wolf hide. She starts making her way over in the hopes of introducing herself to the two men. Presumably the fellow with the wolf was some kind of elder who might be able to explain just what was going on.