Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

"You've been accepted to one of the most prestigious schools in your field. You arrive full of dreams about changing the world, making a difference in the lives of millions. You're going to be a doctor and make your family proud. It is truly one of the happiest days of your life. This is the start of everything.

Three years later

You hate your life more than you ever thought possible. You've taken asinine classes that didn't accomplish anything. Your research is nothing like you've imagined it would be. Your grand idea has been slowly chipped away and pushed this way and that by the whims of your committee that you barely recognize it anymore. You're convinced your supervisor hates you. You look around you and find some solace that almost everyone seems to be as miserable as you are, but they still seem so much further than you. You wonder if you'll ever be done or if this is just your life now. Trudging away at a dissertation that will never be good enough...forever."

--

Welcome to Grad School Mafia, a game for 13 players. This is a role heavy, but not necessarily role madness setup. Discord is required for all players and I'll put up a link when the game is ready to go.

Standard Rules

• Days will be approximately 48-72 hours, Nights will be 24 hours. (Weekends count as 24 hours)
  • Lynch will be majority (days can end in a nolynch)
  • Thread will be closed at night
  • No fake day actions
  • No posting after hammer
  • No posting mod PMs
  • No editing posts
  • No outside communication unless your role says you're allowed
  • Results will be given in the form of "you successfully <blank> your target"
  • Once the game starts I won't answer any questions in thread. PM me if you have questions.

I'm using an adapted version of Pod's Anti-Lurker Rules in this game, please read carefully, because this is new

• If you don't make at least 10 posts in a game day, you will be permanently ON NOTICE for the rest of the game. Tut tut!
  • If you are already ON NOTICE and do not make at least 10 posts on any subsequent game day, you will be FREELY LIGHTS OUT EXECUTABLE the next day. (Your execution will not end the day, but your flip will be posted at the end of the day!)
  • The above rules will be disregarded if hammer happens more than 24 hours before deadline or the game day lasts less than 24 hours (or otherwise based on mod judgment), and will hopefully only be in effect for the first 2-3 game days if you're all good people.

Players
  1. A Sometimes Food
  2. Anomalous Amalgam
  3. b-minus1
  4. CapitalistPig
  5. Dancer
  6. flerp
  7. hambeet
  8. jimmydalad
  9. Kashuno
  10. Kitiara
  11. SalTheBard
  12. SolusLunes
  13. Toalpaz

Asiina fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Please look forward to my game related posts such as

F u mod

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
As a current grad student, this game is relevant to my interests. Count me in

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Yessss take me Professor...

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’m sure if I join all these games, one of them will start eventually :shepface:.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Yeah, I'm a dullard pleb but I can pretend

:science:

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I will audit this class (and replace in when someone drops)

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I don't play mafia anymore but this is great flavor. Can I spectate?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

jimmydalad posted:

I’m sure if I join all these games, one of them will start eventually :shepface:.

Mine is almost ready to start, just need 6 more knuckleheads to sign up. imgay's games will never start.

This is not a signup post.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Poasting2join

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Tommunist posted:

Poasting2join

No.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Let me in so I can feel just as bad about this game as in real life grad school.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

This game promises to bring back horrible memories, pls make me jester so I can authentically wish for death.

I'm in.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

I'll join this! (and not go to grad school)

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Whatevs

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I would like to play.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Bump - FFT just ended. fill this.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'll play

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
I'll play if you still someone.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hi kit!

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
Hi beet!

Or should I say.... murderer?!! :flame:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Hi Asiina I didn't see my name on your list!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Oh wow this is awkward.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

SalTheBard posted:

Hi Asiina I didn't see my name on your list!

Whoops!

I saw your signup on mobile and went "I'll update the list later" and then forgot I didn't do it.

In true grad school fashion, this is how most of my emails to my committee go.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Asiina posted:

Whoops!

I saw your signup on mobile and went "I'll update the list later" and then forgot I didn't do it.

In true grad school fashion, this is how most of my emails to my committee go.

Its ok! Just wanted to make sure I was counted!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

you always count Sal.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Apparently not to Asiina :-(

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

yeah that's what asiina's like though

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty terrible, it's true.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Asiina posted:

I'm pretty terrible, it's true.

Don't you talk bad about Asiina!

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
ok

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I was told this game needed a person.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It does indeed.

Role PMs will go out sometime tomorrow.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm writing up role PMs still and they'll go out late tonight or tomorrow morning, but I'd like everyone to get into the discord server please.

https://discord.gg/f3PRHuu

Viewers, you can join too.

Game won't start until everyone is in the server. Don't worry if you can't see anything when you join, that's fine.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
All role PMs are out. It is now N0. If you have a N0 action please get it to me.

Also waiting for everyone to join the discord server before we start.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm still waiting for some people to join the discord. The game will not start until then.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Meghan sits at her desk in the basement. It's 6:50 PM on a Tuesday. She hasn't seen the sun since she came in this morning at around 8:00, and she knows it will be completely dark by the time she goes home. Still, her supervisor wants this draft by tomorrow, and she knows that she has many hours to go. She idly looks at the pile of grading to do, and hopes she won't get too many emails tonight from students asking for their marks. It will have to wait.

She stands up and walks over to the communal kitchen to make another tea. Some desks around her sit empty, others with students furiously typing away at their own work. A few are just watching Netflix with headphones on, clearly procrastinating. She wishes she was doing the same.

A girl walks into the lounge, a trail of people behind her, all smiling and laughing, breaking up the silence. She knows her by name, but they haven't spoken in years since they took a class together what feels like forever ago.

"Hey Jess, what's going on?"

"My committee approved my dissertation! I'm going to defend! It's finally almost over!!"

"Wow, congratulations!" Meghan says, her smile not reaching her eyes.

"Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get there soon!"

The party moves back out the door, and the lounge is once again quiet. The kettle clicks off and Meghan silently makes her tea and heads back to her desk. Maybe that will be her one day. Maybe.

Jess, Successful Graduate, town-aligned plot device defended N0.

It is now D1.

Please take a note again of the lurker rules. You need to not just make 10 posts, but 10 GAME related posts in order to be safe.

Postcount at beginning of N1:

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (13): A Sometimes Food, Anomalous Amalgam, b-minus1, CapitalistPig, Dancer, flerp, hambeet, jimmydalad, Kashuno, Kitiara, SalTheBard, SolusLunes, Toalpaz

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is October 25th, 2018 at 11 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 2 days, 4 hours.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Wooo! Time for all nighters and misery. Who wants to get some red bulls with me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
And the game begins!

This is going to be the game where I am going to channel Ecco, hunt down every scum and finally stay out of the stupid lurker gun.

• Locked thread