Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Found this in Crypt:3 in GoonCrawl. What the heck is it for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It creates a wizlab

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Oh hey, so it does. I thought I tried Evoking it, but I guess not.

Thanks!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Decided to gently caress around with a quick Centaur Hunter run to warm myself back up for finishing some old characters I have lying around.
It seems crawl has missed me because it has decided to shower me with early goodies.
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.24.0-13-gcf9b319 (webtiles) character file.

lawman0 the Slayer (Centaur Hunter)                Turns: 56031, Time: 02:21:38

Health: 224/224    AC: 48    Str: 29    XL:     22   Next: 93%
Magic:  31/31      EV: 11    Int: 11    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   2446       SH:  0    Dex: 11    Spells: 15/21 levels left

rFire    + + .     SeeInvis .   a - +6 longbow of Suesab {venom, rElec Str+4}
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   (shield currently unavailable)
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   E - +10 pearl dragon scales
rPois    +         Spirit   .   D - -2 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rPois rF+ rC+ rN+ MR+ rMut rCorr}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   P - scarf {repulsion}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   O - +2 pair of gloves {archery}
rMut     +                      m - +10 Black Knight's horse barding {ponderous, rPois rN+}
MR       ++++.                  M - amulet "Pocial" {RegenMP rF+ MR++ Dex-4 Slay+3}
Stlth    ..........             X - +6 ring of protection
HPRegen  0.47/turn              v - +6 ring of strength
MPRegen  0.47/turn

@: repel missiles, quick
A: large, hooves 3, deformed body, speed 2, tough skin 3
}: 2/15 runes: decaying, gossamer
a: Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion

You are on level 13 of the Dungeon.
You worship Okawaru.
Okawaru is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 9 branches of the dungeon, and seen 41 of its levels.
You have also visited: Ice Cave and Desolation.

You have collected 5756 gold pieces.
You have spent 3310 gold pieces at shops.
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/lawman0/lawman0.txt
So the game decided to shower me with PDA, three scrolls of acquirement and a potion of experience as the first thing I drank and more than enough arrows to sustain until Okawaru decided to shower me with them.
Just absolutely disgusting, might go and just do slime as my third rune and get the gently caress outta the dungeon in under 4 hours.
I mostly wish that uncle okie would kick down the storm bow or something instead of gifting random garbage shortbows, otherwise I'm fairly content.
This character basically is performing a driveby of the dungeon. :blastu:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I've been playing this stupid game on and off for several years now and I'm finally about ready to enter Zot for the first time.

code:
Gore Eater the Slayer (Minotaur Berserker)         Turns: 74547, Time: 03:01:07

Health: 243/243    AC: 42    Str: 34    XL:     24   Next: 98%
Magic:  28/28      EV: 16    Int:  4    God:    Trog [*****.]
Gold:   4153       SH: 30    Dex: 14    Spells: 23/23 levels left

rFire    + . .     SeeInvis +   a - +10 broad axe {chop, +Inv MR++ Int-3 SInv}
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   g - +0 large shield
rNeg     . . .     Faith    .   e - +7 gold dragon scales
rPois    +         Spirit   .   (helmet unavailable)
rElec    +         Reflect  +   N - +2 cloak
rCorr    +         Harm     .   q - +2 pair of gloves {Str+3}
MR       +++++                  W - +1 pair of boots of Nugyu {*Drain rElec rC+++ MR+}
Stlth    ..........             F - +3 amulet of reflection
HPRegen  0.50/turn              U - ring of resist corrosion
MPRegen  0.21/turn              M - ring of protection from magic

@: no status effects
A: retaliatory headbutt, horns 3, agile 1, electricity resistance, strong 1
}: 3/15 runes: decaying, silver, gossamer
a: Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility

You are on level 14 of the Dungeon.
You worship Trog.
Trog is extremely pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 8 branches of the dungeon, and seen 44 of its levels.

You have collected 6616 gold pieces.
You have spent 2463 gold pieces at shops.

Other than possibly switching out the rCorr for another pip of rFire, is there anything I can do to maximize my chances of finally winning? I also have a +9 vampiric randart broad axe but it's MR-, and I have an antimagic one I can enchant to +10.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You've got enough MR I'd suggest dumping the MR ring for rF+ or rN+ and having the antimagic broad axe on switch when you're bapping magic users (and there are many in Zot!). Take it slow, magic map each level so you know where the stairs are and don't stick around to fight more than you need to. You don't need the extra experience.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Lawman 0 posted:

m - +10 Black Knight's horse barding {ponderous, rPois rN+}

This character basically is performing a driveby of the dungeon. :blastu:

How's the Black Knight's barding doing for you? Trading your boots slot for +10 is a wicked deal, but I thought that centaurs where generically poor at stuff to make up for their movespeed, which means giving it up is a bit of an eye waggle.

Or is 48AC for a bow user "idgaf" territory?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Serephina posted:

How's the Black Knight's barding doing for you? Trading your boots slot for +10 is a wicked deal, but I thought that centaurs where generically poor at stuff to make up for their movespeed, which means giving it up is a bit of an eye waggle.

Or is 48AC for a bow user "idgaf" territory?

Partially that but also the one ponderous gear only means that I'm just one step slower so I'm still slightly faster than normal.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Other than possibly switching out the rCorr for another pip of rFire, is there anything I can do to maximize my chances of finally winning? I also have a +9 vampiric randart broad axe but it's MR-, and I have an antimagic one I can enchant to +10.
The complete lack of rNeg is a terrible idea. Trade out that MR+ ring for an rN+ ring. Trog's Hand gives you MR++ anyways. Your jewelry in general seems pretty subpar. You've got excellent MR, and you're a MiBe with an antimagic axe. Have you considered (very carefully!!!) clearing Elf 3? It should build you up a ton of piety with Trog, and hopefully the holy grail of Trog weapon gifts: An antimagic executioner's axe. Also some absolutely killer jewelry from the treasure trove (I hope).

And, being blunt, if you're not ready for Elf 3, you're not ready for Zot.

From there, if your resist pips are still looking anemic, maybe try Slime 4? The lack of rN+ would be kinda scary and you'd need to be ready for a single, extremely dangerous and extended fight, but I think you're just about the best possible build for kicking the poo poo out of the Royal Jelly.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 21, 2020

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Another good reason to consider switching to an antimagic axe:
code:
Int:  4
code:
a - +10 broad axe {chop, +Inv MR++ Int-3
A couple turns around an orb of fire could leave you brainless very quickly, which is Bad. (And the one reason your char has to care about what your int is)

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The antimagic brand is definitely one of the larger boons of being a Troglodyte.

Elf is...generally not more dangerous than Zot, I would agree with checking there, if you haven't looted it yet. The vault fight on a really bad day can be almost as bad as clearing the lungs in Zot, but that's uncommon and most Elf threats are much more manageable. Just take the fights with appropriate caution. You'll face many similar threats as to what's in Zot, though significantly squishier and less likely to mob you all at once; spellcasters mixed with high-damage melee blenders, summons, and the occasional risk of being blinked or banished.

Fortunately, antimagic is quite helpful against elfy gits. :orks101:

E: And the Hall of Blades in elf can sometimes provide the exec axe you might be dreaming of, though do that double-cautiously because dancing weapons can be astoundingly dangerous.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If you go into Slime, note that potions of cancellation also remove corrosion.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

PMush Perfect posted:

That's a great tip and I always forget it.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Smiling Knight posted:

Just cleared Vault 5 using death channel for the first time. Playing a beefy Gnoll, so I didn’t even need to stair dance. Just tab and an ever-expanding army of ghosts. Fun and immensely satisfying!

Avoided the posting curse, and took this guy to 15 runes! Never done extended with Gozag before, it was great rolling through an early Tomb with a pair of Greater Mummies and an Ancient Lich as my bodyguards. Ended the game with 20k in the bank, clearly I should have summoned more shops and bribed more liberally.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

PMush Perfect posted:

Gotta be honest, I never knew this, and if I had I would definitely have a dozen more alive characters

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Don’t feel too bad, I do know it and I forget.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Are there other items that spawn the side quest areas like that key does the wizard lab?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

A Strange Aeon posted:

Are there other items that spawn the side quest areas like that key does the wizard lab?

There's a ziggurat figurine that spawns a zig wherever you are when you evoke it.

Aside from that I don't think so? It'd be cool if you could find Caravan tickets that take you to merchant portals.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

FulsomFrank posted:

There's a ziggurat figurine that spawns a zig wherever you are when you evoke it.

Aside from that I don't think so? It'd be cool if you could find Caravan tickets that take you to merchant portals.

Would that be hard to implement? Seems like the code for the wizard key is already there, would just need a few modifications, right? (Knows minimally about coding)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Not too difficult, really. The wizard key probably uses the unused code to generate a "portal" from back when Nemelex had the Deck of Dungeons and, in particular, the Trowel Card.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I wanna finally ascend something simple like a helf or a centaur but I keep loving splatting. (I did finally ascend a FoFi! Only 4 runes, though, because my jewelry was garbage and nothing I did fixed it.)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I, too, can only ascend melee dudes.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

posting to say skeletons (the player race) are the literal worst thing i have ever experienced in crawl :negative:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

FulsomFrank posted:

That's a great tip and I always forget it.

The one I always forget is they remove flaying. In tomb. Surrounded by flayed ghosts.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

someone awful. posted:

posting to say skeletons (the player race) are the literal worst thing i have ever experienced in crawl :negative:

Skeles are the bestworst. Did you ever think that mummies had it too easy? Just take away the flammable, load-bearing, necromantic bandages! Tada!

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I've been splatting MuCKs for a week on Kelbi Gooncrawl; I had one up to 9 runes, then died being stupid and getting confused in a Zig. Confusion is REAL bad for Mummies.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Scaramouche posted:

The one I always forget is they remove flaying. In tomb. Surrounded by flayed ghosts.
:aaaaa:

I'm as likely to remember that as I remember that they remove corrosion, but that's cool to know.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Skeles are the bestworst. Did you ever think that mummies had it too easy? Just take away the flammable, load-bearing, necromantic bandages! Tada!
I like skellies because they really, really force you to develop good habits about when and how to engage things. Reap is extremely good, but also extremely dangerous.

Edit: For real. When you gently caress up and immediately die, you usually know exactly why. "Oh, I shouldn't have tried to fight that ogre without using my wand." "Oh, it was probably a bad idea to battle that hydra out in the open." Etc.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 22, 2020

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Where do you play as a Skeleton? I don't see that option in Gooncrawl or trunk.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

it's on the 2nd page of the race selection for gooncrawl. hit $

I would rather play 1000 mummies than ever play another skeleton, but I still need to win one. the lootbox gods gave me the scepter of torment this time at least

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Scaramouche posted:

Mother of God.

Cancellation confirmed for god-tier potion. Flaying is way worse than Corrosion.

If it temporarily broke -SILENCE from specters, it'd be something else.

Mystery Prize posted:

Where do you play as a Skeleton? I don't see that option in Gooncrawl or trunk.

Skeletons are the one race I want to love but I have never gotten one off the ground and their main gimmick has gotten me killed every time.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I spent way too long trying to get a HOAc off the ground but I finally got some fencing gloves and rolled from there, extended was real smooth and easy. Shame it took 50 dead HOAcs to get past vault, but I'm getting the hang of things again

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.22-a0-995-g3b949e0392 (webtiles) character file.

16601195 MrDespair the Conqueror (level 27, 269/269 (273) HPs)
             Began as a Hill Orc Archaeologist on May 20, 2020.
             Was the Champion of Zin.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on May 22, 2020!

The game lasted 06:39:06 (93909 turns).

MrDespair the Conqueror (Hill Orc Archaeologist)   Turns: 93909, Time: 06:39:07

HP:   269/269 (273) AC: 37    Str: 23    XL:     27
MP:   43/43         EV: 44    Int: 14    God:    Zin [******]
Gold: 6044          SH:  0    Dex: 30    Spells: 59/59 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   a - +3 triple sword of Moral Flaws {holy, +Blink rC+++ Int-3 Dex+5}
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   (shield currently unavailable)
rNeg     + + .     Faith    .   O - +4 chain mail "Nilam" {rElec rF+++ Dex+4 Stlth-}
rPois    .         Spirit   +   v - +2 helmet {SInv}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   N - scarf {Spirit}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   e - +5 pair of fencer's gloves {+Riposte EV+3 Dex+10}
MR       ++++.                  K - +2 pair of boots of the Morning Star {MR++ Str-3 Int+4 Stlth+}
Stlth    ++........             A - macabre finger necklace {rN+}
HPRegen  0.54/turn              I - ring of the Fool {*Drain rElec rN+ Slay+4 Stlth-}
MPRegen  0.28/turn              W - ring of Shadows {Umbra +Inv Stlth+}
                                o - ring of Phasing {EV+12}

@: wreathed by umbra
A: no striking features
0: Orb of Zot
}: 15/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian,
icy, bone, abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark
a: Recite, Vitalisation, Imprison, Sanctuary, Donate Gold, Renounce Religion,
Evoke Blink, Evoke Invisibility

You escaped.
You worshipped Zin.
Zin was exalted by your worship.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

manual of Shields
Gong, gong, come oooon, Gong!

quote:

the +2 Shield of Resistance

Instant Ctrl-Q.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Finally 15 runed an Abomination. Not sure why but killed like 20 in a row, every piece of artifact armour was -F, never found a ring with more than rF+. Ended up having to wear 4 rings of rF and gold dragon scales to get this one through, which made rounding out the other resists difficult. Ended up only having rM+++ but still squeaked through. Also weird thing, had horns mutation, didn't find a single hat (even +0) until halfway through Pan. Never was hoping for Gastronok more in a run I think. Going to try skeleton I think but maaaaaan that early game. Also think I'm really going to miss having 8 ring slots but no way I'm getting on that OcMo train again.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

Finally 15 runed an Abomination. Not sure why but killed like 20 in a row, every piece of artifact armour was -F, never found a ring with more than rF+. Ended up having to wear 4 rings of rF and gold dragon scales to get this one through, which made rounding out the other resists difficult. Ended up only having rM+++ but still squeaked through. Also weird thing, had horns mutation, didn't find a single hat (even +0) until halfway through Pan. Never was hoping for Gastronok more in a run I think. Going to try skeleton I think but maaaaaan that early game. Also think I'm really going to miss having 8 ring slots but no way I'm getting on that OcMo train again.

Must have been that secret luck penalty I programmed into Abominations

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Man, Djinni are a blast to play. I started a DjCK after realizing they don't need to eat so I can scum Xom for goodies, and here's where I'm at now:

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.22-a0-995-g3b949e0392 (webtiles) character file.

Mysteryprize the Djinn Blade (DjCK)               Turns: 214407, Time: 01:55:09

HP:   226/226 (207) AC: 40    Str: 24    XL:     25   Next: 11%
MP:   0/0           EV: 25    Int: 21    God:    Xom [.....*]
Gold: 6094          SH: 18    Dex: 16    Spells: 40/50 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis .   b - +8 autumn katana {slice, Clar}
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   k - +2 shield
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   F - +12 ice dragon scales of Itoteal {rElec rF- rC++ MR++ rCorr Str-4 Stlth+}
rPois    .         Spirit   .   (helmet restricted)
rElec    +         Reflect  .   q - +2 cloak
rCorr    +         Harm     .   y - +3 pair of gloves of Deloran {Str+7 Dex-4}
MR       +++++     Clarity  +   t - amulet "Tauj Dye" {rElec MR+ Regen+ Stlth+}
Stlth    ++++......             m - ring "Kukhluq" {MR+ EV+5 Int+2 Dex+2}
HPRegen  0.87/turn              U - ring of the Lotus Blossom {+Fly Int+6 Slay+3}
MPRegen  0.07/turn

@: flying, studying Armour
A: fire immunity, cold vulnerability, beak, claws 2, horns 2, repulsion field 1,
rugged brown scales 1, camouflage 1, blink, clarity, high mp 1, mutation
resistance 1, negative energy resistance 3, sense surroundings 1, robust 2,
shaggy fur 3, strong 1, sturdy frame 1
The mechanic of reserving HP for spells is really interesting, and Ring of Fire carried me through most of Vaults. This guy feels crazy strong, though I suspect I'm going to have problems with torment when I go into Pan/Hell.

Also, the Autumn Katana I found being wielded by a Fire Giant somehow, and man it's incredible; the +8 enchantment, slicing brand, +3 to hit, 13 base damage, and 0.6 delay compares favorably to a +9 double sword of flaming or freezing.

Here's the rest of the file if anyone is interested.

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 24, 2020

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ugh got to three runes with the next play on a Skeleton but they are just so freaking fragile, and unlike other -20% guys (gargoyle, venom stalker) they get literally no mitigation. Got run down to zero almost instantly by acid blobs despite having rCorr. 15 runing one of these guys is going to suck really hard. It's basically stair dancing: the game.

EDIT-Orc warrior on D2 suck my balls game

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 24, 2020

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I am pleased to report that a DsAc of Qaz with rift, nightstalker, the armor of the dragon king, and spec weap/regen/song of slaying is basically invincible. There's literally one tile-ring of my LOS that I can't poke with my distort stick.

Also, antennae will sense enemies out of your artifically lowered LOS, which is pretty cool.

And of course, just deleting 25% of the enemies you fight makes things go a lot faster.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
What causes me to lose my reserved spells, other than getting dispelled? Often when I try to add another reserved spell, I just lose the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
If something(adding another reserved spell, taking off MP+ gear, losing an MP+ mut, etc) would bring your total mp pool below zero everything gets dispelled automatically, iirc. Adding more reserved spells usually isn't a huge problem unless you're trying to stack a lot of them with high failrates on a char who has very bad mp for whatever reason.