Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

this guy gets it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Nah, clearly the hands are too close together for 4 rings to work because 'magic auras' or however the two ring slots thing is justified.

This doesn't make sense for players using two-handed weapons.

Formicid stasis is often a complete deathtrap, especially on bottom level. And I say this as a proficient Formicid player.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I still plan to 15 rune a Formicid. I had a good run I had to bail at 5 because I just could not get decent resist gear.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 31, 2020

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Question: I've been on a tear with Draconian Transmuter (probably my favorite combo) and most of playing Tm is building Unarmed Combat. But let's say I've got Unarmed Combat of 10, and I find a +10 randart with some pretty good mods. Do I build up maces and flails to take advantage of it, or ignore it since I think only Statue Form would help me take advantage of it? Blade Hands, Hydra/Dragon etc will all meld it away. It seems like a waste but especially for Transmuter I had difficulty deciding where to put my early midgame points after I can cast Blade Hands reliably. I've just been dumping into Fighting, Dodging, some Invo and occasionally Evo

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Zodack posted:

Question: I've been on a tear with Draconian Transmuter (probably my favorite combo) and most of playing Tm is building Unarmed Combat. But let's say I've got Unarmed Combat of 10, and I find a +10 randart with some pretty good mods. Do I build up maces and flails to take advantage of it, or ignore it since I think only Statue Form would help me take advantage of it? Blade Hands, Hydra/Dragon etc will all meld it away. It seems like a waste but especially for Transmuter I had difficulty deciding where to put my early midgame points after I can cast Blade Hands reliably. I've just been dumping into Fighting, Dodging, some Invo and occasionally Evo

That's just floorgod taunting you, like when spriggans find holy executioner axe +10 on D:8.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, unless you're willing to change your entire strategy mid-game, that kind of thing just happens sometimes and there's not much you can do about it.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I figured as much. Once you're in, you're in. I know some builds can pivot later but for Transmuter especially it just seemed like a trap

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zodack posted:

Depends very much on the weapon you find. In the grand scheme of things, level 10 in any skill really isn't that much so pivoting out from that won't hurt you much in the long run. For the vast majority of gear it wouldn't be worth it simply because transmuter endgame is strong enough that you wouldn't really need to do so. The option exists, but you'd need to see something REALLY good to make it worth it.

I'm pretty sure I've had a game with the exact same character archetype as you where I pivoted from transmutations to weapons. The reason was I found loving Wyrmbane in the Lair, and that's one of the most busted weapons in the entire game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's Transmutation's thing, pretty much. It can be very powerful and versatile and for nearly every occasion it has a form that will shore up your weaknesses, if you get lucky with your spellbooks, but the way it limits your ability to use equipment if you go all-in on it is by design also its biggest weak point.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Tm is such a slow start if you find a solid weapon early it can be optimal to convert to Floor God and just turn Tm and UC off forever.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I'm shocked how many of my games have included finding Wyrmbane, it's a hideously good weapon and 90% of the time warrants an almost instant swap to polearms.

On the other hand, I don't think I've ever stuck through a game with Short Blades. Stabber is by far my weakest playstyle, I think every time I try it I either learn (by dying to) some new bad habit I didn't realize I'd been carrying around since the Scumummy days, or I just switch to a 'normal' hybrid or blaster focus.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

I'm shocked how many of my games have included finding Wyrmbane, it's a hideously good weapon and 90% of the time warrants an almost instant swap to polearms.

On the other hand, I don't think I've ever stuck through a game with Short Blades. Stabber is by far my weakest playstyle, I think every time I try it I either learn (by dying to) some new bad habit I didn't realize I'd been carrying around since the Scumummy days, or I just switch to a 'normal' hybrid or blaster focus.

Gyre and Gimble is a very fun shortblade when paired with high slaying bonuses.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Wyrmbane is the exact weapon I was thinking of, I had a Dr or DsTm (rip dobrazupa files) game where I got like Ice Form running then found wyrmbane and only used transmutations thereafter as a flotation device.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

I don't like stabbers/short blades precisely because you've got maybe one artifact that makes it worthwhile and while you can maybe do a few basic runes with it, good luck doing extended without leaning on a shitload of other spells and abilities that make it eventually seem like you should have gone axes, polearms, long blades, blaster mage...

Maybe I'm just salty because it seems like the fun to difficulty ratio is way off with that build but I'll admit I haven't sunk enough time into really learning it.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

kaschei posted:

Tm is such a slow start if you find a solid weapon early it can be optimal to convert to Floor God and just turn Tm and UC off forever.

I'm not a great player by any stretch, so would Tm's "start" be up until you can reliably cast Ice and Blade? I feel like once I hit that point I 1) shred everything and 2) can't decide what to train any more. Especially so if I'm not worshipping Sif.

Usually with Tm on what I'd consider a mildly successful start I'll clear Lair handily and get to Orc and hopefully have other spells to help out, but after that if I don't have new Transmutation spells or AoE support from other spell schools I start getting worried.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'd say so. Blade Hands is when Transmuters go from kinda weakish to DPS monster for most of the midgame.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I honestly get the feeling that Transmuter is the slowest start period. UC is easily the slowest weapon skill to get good, and transmutations feels much the same way. And as a hybrid, Transmuters skills are split between the two as well. I suppose a Wanderer could be worse depending on what you roll, and there's always Chaos Knight as a challenge class, but they're at least reasonably well equipped.

FulsomFrank posted:

I don't like stabbers/short blades precisely because you've got maybe one artifact that makes it worthwhile and while you can maybe do a few basic runes with it, good luck doing extended without leaning on a shitload of other spells and abilities that make it eventually seem like you should have gone axes, polearms, long blades, blaster mage...

Maybe I'm just salty because it seems like the fun to difficulty ratio is way off with that build but I'll admit I haven't sunk enough time into really learning it.

Honestly I don't like stabbers for the same reason. Feels like a lot of what they specialize in falls off later game, so you'd better have a backup for when that happens.

At least if you have to switch over your stabber to something else, the skills you trained aren't totally useless. Plenty of good hexes, and stealth is pretty much always useful. Unlike venom mage. God, gently caress venom mage.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
420 play gnolls erryday all things are useful

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Venom mage for me is miserable early game without some kind of support but it quickly turns into "hahaha fuuuck" if I'm lucky enough to get Toxic Radiance and Ignite Poison at the same time.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Charun posted:

and wouldn't have saved my last death either. I can't even remember what it was now, except that it sucked. like most of my deaths.

I stopped playing when I got shafted twice as incredibly powerful characters that were well on the way to 15 runing while in zot. Decided that I had enough of crawl forever after that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The secret to short blades is you transition to long blades once you need actual damage and can't just rely on stabbing everything 24/7(unless you find a good quickblade, then you can 3-rune with that. Probably).

Or just go Usk and parastab everything into infinity.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Haifisch posted:

The secret to short blades is you transition to long blades once you need actual damage
Which is more viable than switching to another weapon time because they cross-train each other, so you benefit from having skill in one if you want to use the other.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arzaac posted:

I honestly get the feeling that Transmuter is the slowest start period. UC is easily the slowest weapon skill to get good, and transmutations feels much the same way. And as a hybrid, Transmuters skills are split between the two as well. I suppose a Wanderer could be worse depending on what you roll, and there's always Chaos Knight as a challenge class, but they're at least reasonably well equipped.

Honestly I don't like stabbers for the same reason. Feels like a lot of what they specialize in falls off later game, so you'd better have a backup for when that happens.

At least if you have to switch over your stabber to something else, the skills you trained aren't totally useless. Plenty of good hexes, and stealth is pretty much always useful. Unlike venom mage. God, gently caress venom mage.

the key to early transmuter is the fact that sticks to snakes is very very good

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Zodack posted:

Venom mage for me is miserable early game without some kind of support but it quickly turns into "hahaha fuuuck" if I'm lucky enough to get Toxic Radiance and Ignite Poison at the same time.
These are in the VM starting book in 0.25. It's bonkers. Playing OgVM I only feel weak deep in lair branches because I have no god and my backup plan is a spiky stick, but the stick is VERY spiky.

Also orc becomes a cakewalk and in elf the scariest things are the weapons.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

kaschei posted:

Also orc becomes a cakewalk and in elf the scariest things are the weapons.

This is often true for my blaster mages, I find, aside the occasional Executioner spawn and that's basically just a whole bunch of weapons grafted together

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
FDVM walks over the early game even harder than usual. Sting is free and you have smite-targeted poison for 1 MP, not to mention the Mephitic Cloud crutch, so you can basically zero-effort kite almost everything you meet before Lair if you're even a little careful.

I mean, it's a waste of good XP that could go into a spell school with actual endgame spells, but it's fun while it lasts to put Poisonous Vapors on a macro and just delete things the second they come onscreen.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
SpVM was my first ever win, way back in 0.7 or something :shobon: Just patiently kited absolutely everything and got IMB and OOD for anything with rPois.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Haifisch posted:

Or just go Usk and parastab everything into infinity.

Usk + amulet of faith is absurd.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Worthleast posted:

Usk + amulet of faith is absurd.

Dancing so hard you one-shot Cerebov is something that never gets old.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
God drat, Skeletons are just absolutely unplayable. I've taken a half dozen to 4-ish runes, but extended is just so horrible with -20% max hp and no access to potions or regeneration.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Mystery Prize posted:

God drat, Skeletons are just absolutely unplayable. I've taken a half dozen to 4-ish runes, but extended is just so horrible with -20% max hp and no access to potions or regeneration.

Did that change? My version is a bit of date because I'm off and on coding something but Skeles can get Regen from rings etc. Also harp of healing works on them.

That said, the most runes I've gotten is like 7-8 and it's torturous babying and stair dancing. Like I've said, other -20% get mitigation that skeleton gets none of. Really miss mutations as well for some randomness to make the otherwise dreary play interesting.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

Did that change? My version is a bit of date because I'm off and on coding something but Skeles can get Regen from rings etc. Also harp of healing works on them.

That said, the most runes I've gotten is like 7-8 and it's torturous babying and stair dancing. Like I've said, other -20% get mitigation that skeleton gets none of. Really miss mutations as well for some randomness to make the otherwise dreary play interesting.

Nah, the same. Items with +Regen work, but the Regeneration spell doesn't, which is truly incredible if you are able to sustain it.

Froggeryz
Dec 23, 2008
I've avoided Tomb for a very long time due to mainly playing pretty much pure melee for a very long time but I finally went for it with a Gargoyle Gladiator run.
Tomb kicked my rear end pretty loving hard, knocking me down to literally 1hp at one point but I was able to claw it back. https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/Froggeryz/morgue-Froggeryz-20200606-233118.txt

There's a lot of things I could have done better, for example I could have gotten more support spells castable but eh, it worked out in the end anyway.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Froggeryz posted:

I've avoided Tomb for a very long time due to mainly playing pretty much pure melee for a very long time but I finally went for it with a Gargoyle Gladiator run.
Tomb kicked my rear end pretty loving hard, knocking me down to literally 1hp at one point but I was able to claw it back. https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/Froggeryz/morgue-Froggeryz-20200606-233118.txt

There's a lot of things I could have done better, for example I could have gotten more support spells castable but eh, it worked out in the end anyway.

Nice work.

Tomb is such a piece of poo poo annoying branch that I almost save it for last until I've got Silence and Lichform castable just to mitigate the most obnoxious aspects of it and to stomp all the awful mummies since none of their tricks work. And just imagine that in trunk it's even worse.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Silence makes Tomb infinitely easier as a melee character; I will grind out xp for it to be castable on any melee that is going for 15 runes.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Tomb really is the hardest branch in the game, the only thing I consider more difficult is the tomb-themed floors of Zig.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Jon Joe posted:

Tomb really is the hardest branch in the game, the only thing I consider more difficult is the tomb-themed floors of Zig.

Definitely have killed a lot of my characters, but so have Pan floors. There's nothing quite like being in a silence field and a hostile tornado while eating smites and lvl9 spells and acid attacks all at once.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Jon Joe posted:

I think hardest is subjective, dependent upon the character you're playing. For most characters, Tomb is the hardest for sure, but I play a lot of Mummies/Skeletons and Tomb is much, much easier for them; you're immune to miasma and torment, so the dangers mostly include being swarmed by a dozen Emperor Scorpions and smited to death.

Random Pan floors are absolutely the scariest for me, because you can run into almost anything. Teleporting to a new area into a Black sun, a Tzitzimitl, a Hell Sentinel, and a Pan lord that silences you in an open area with no LoS can end a run real fast.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Tomb is much less hellish in Gooncrawl, where the stairs are two-way again. There's no way I'd ever 15-rune as anything non-undead without the Crown of Torment if they were still one-way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Tomb is why I ultimately quit playing Crawl, because combined with the trap changes its just a sick joke now.

Yes, I love having every trap on screen be triggered by the mountain of enemies causing me to randomly teleport around without my control. Definitely feels fair in an area that requires precise movement to not explode.