Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Will Vehumet ever gift you spells you already know? Just had a chance to buy a book with shatter in as an EE, just as I'm getting close to getting my 3 final spells from Vehumet. Not sure if it'd be a waste of money to buy it or guarantee me an extra high level spell option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/helsbecter/helsbecter.txt

Looking for guidance, I wanna take this deep elf gladiator all the way and get a high score. How do I make sure I get in good shape for endgame stuff? I just cleared out dungeon/lair/orc and my next step is a lair branch.

Mousus
Apr 9, 2009
You can definitely buy books to improve the chances of Vehumet actually gifting you the level 8/9 spells you actually need. Mostly it's only relevant when you are desperate for either firestorm or absolute zero but it does work. Whether it's worth the money is always a question of if there's anything else you can spend the money on.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Under 15 posted:

Looking for guidance, I wanna take this deep elf gladiator all the way and get a high score. How do I make sure I get in good shape for endgame stuff? I just cleared out dungeon/lair/orc and my next step is a lair branch.

If you've never beaten crawl before, just focus on getting a 3 rune finish and don't worry about score.

I'm not terribly familiar with necromancy-heavy characters, but just glancing at your sheet you should be able to take care of swamp fairly easily and spider shouldn't give you much trouble either. I personally avoid slime pits and go for vaults for a 3rd rune just because Royal Jelly is a royal pain in the rear end and golden eyes are the loving worst if don't have clarity or a bunch of MR. Alternatively, you could try going for the Abyss rune, but that could be a lot harder if you don't know what you're getting into.

dolphinbomb fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 31, 2021

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Under 15 posted:

I usually make necro heavy characters into hybrids, going to be tougher as a deep elf but a decent polearm synergizes well with using summons/undead and vile clutch. Mephitic cloud is also nice and cheap and helpful even through vaults. Don't forget you can summon corpses for animating too.

If you don't want to invest in fighting and polearms you'll want some non necro blaster spell; earth will help with clutch which stays good, ice helps with simulacrum which stays good. Having some skeletons/zombies around you constantly makes it that much easier to put space between you and any threat.

If you find a nice longbow you could also use that with portal projectile. Basically, don't rely on just necromancy.

dolphinbomb posted:

I personally avoid slime pits and go for vaults for a 3rd rune just because Royal Jelly is a royal pain in the rear end and golden eyes are the loving worst if don't have clarity or a bunch of MR. Alternatively, you could try going for the Abyss rune, but that could be a lot harder if you don't know what you're getting into.

You also can't summon any good corpses in slime, whereas vaults will give you tons of good meat shields if you can survive the ambush.

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 1, 2021

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

One thing I'm enjoying about getting rid of hunger is that I can go all in with Gozag for my OpTr and kit myself out with artefact rings by the end of early game.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

OK died in the Swamp.

What is the key to new swamp? It has murdered me every time I have gone in there. Why is it so much harder than spider/swamp/shoals?

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Under 15 posted:

OK died in the Swamp.

What is the key to new swamp? It has murdered me every time I have gone in there. Why is it so much harder than spider/swamp/shoals?

What part of it is killing you? I think good ranged damage is just as important as rPois. rPois is more for the drakes and hornets than the poison damage, and with good ranged damage you can blow up the witches and worms before you get paralyzed and harpooned. Everything else seems the same: hits hard but is mostly mitigated by ac, so get really tanky or blow everything up while it's at the edge of the screen. Flying is also nice but not a must have.

I still feel like it's so much easier than snake or shoals

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Under 15 posted:

OK died in the Swamp.

Your guy looks too hybridised. I’m not sure what your plan was but despite putting a lot of exp into stealth, your defences and weapon skills, you hadn’t put enough in there to really be useful IMO.I wouldn’t trust that character to take on swamp enemies in melee. You were also sitting on scrolls (enchant armour etc) which are tempting to save but don’t do you any good if you die. Also not sure of the utility of stealth on a summoning/necromancy build as thought all your summons will be making a lot of noise and waking monsters up.

Please keep in mind I am pretty terrible so my advice is probably terrible.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Yeah, haunt only just came online as I arrived there. I kinda forgot it existed. Basically, my swamp experience was everything hit way too hard, even the ranged attacks, and I had nothing to physically get myself away. I should have gone spider first but I'd reasoned since I had dispel undead, a bunch of stuff just wouldn't be a threat. Unfortunately, it seems like all the actually tough poo poo is alive.

I have a lot of stealth because I'm a DEGl who didn't get necro going until late. Do you guys think there's a better choice? I'd gone for kiku thinking it was a good choice for a character that is going to be late to spellcasting no matter what.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Under 15 posted:

Yeah, haunt only just came online as I arrived there. I kinda forgot it existed. Basically, my swamp experience was everything hit way too hard, even the ranged attacks, and I had nothing to physically get myself away. I should have gone spider first but I'd reasoned since I had dispel undead, a bunch of stuff just wouldn't be a threat. Unfortunately, it seems like all the actually tough poo poo is alive.

I have a lot of stealth because I'm a DEGl who didn't get necro going until late. Do you guys think there's a better choice? I'd gone for kiku thinking it was a good choice for a character that is going to be late to spellcasting no matter what.

Why did you pick DEGl to begin with? DE do not really lend themselves easily to melee. Even so, I'd not have pumped stealth if I was going for a DE melee character unless I found an artefact that would benefit from it or decided to go short blades for whatever reason.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

deep elf has godawful hp growth and basically anything that hits you is going to hit you for like half your hp. you need a way to kill things before they are even remotely close to you

I would suggest picking up vehumet asap and trying to pretend that you didn't pick gladiator as a start, personally

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, Gladiator is pretty much one of the worst classes you could pick for a Deep Elf. Not only are they very weak in melee, they also get major XP penalties to the majority of fighting skills and bonuses to none of them. They're tailor-made for casters and really don't support any other playstyle very well.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Trying to get a high score - DEGl high score is 15 runes in 117,931 turns, which seems pretty do-able, and the record has stood since 2013 so it stands to reason that once achieved I can hold on to it for a long time.

There's some other out there that seem reasonable, like HaAM in 99,897 turns, but DEGl is the lowest and the oldest out there

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Under 15 posted:

Trying to get a high score - DEGl high score is 15 runes in 117,931 turns, which seems pretty do-able, and the record has stood since 2013 so it stands to reason that once achieved I can hold on to it for a long time.

There's some other out there that seem reasonable, like HaAM in 99,897 turns, but DEGl is the lowest and the oldest out there

Not trying to dissuade you from this, but I've been playing this game forever (like, 16+ years), and my 15 rune runs on strong characters are usually well above that turn count. That's absolutely a challenge combo and, really, this isn't the type of game you should be playing for high scores. Those turn counts aren't reasonable unless you are an expert at the game and are purposefully speedrunning it.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Under 15 posted:

Like I said in my previous post, focus on actually winning a game first. If you can't even finish a 3 rune game, you are a very long ways away from being able to attempt a 15 rune run, much less a 15 rune run with a suboptimal race/class combo.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

dolphinbomb posted:

Like I said in my previous post, focus on actually winning a game first. If you can't even finish a 3 rune game, you are a very long ways away from being able to attempt a 15 rune run, much less a 15 rune run with a suboptimal race/class combo.

From their past post, they’ve got a few wins under their belts including a 4 and 5 rune 2-win streak. Still I’d generally agree and recommend going for 15 with a more viable race class combo if they haven’t already before trying to get a high score with a challenge combo.

someone awful. posted:

I would suggest picking up vehumet asap and trying to pretend that you didn't pick gladiator as a start, personally

I think it’s mostly this latter bit. If you check the log of that 8 year old DLGL high score win (in v .12!) you can see they basically never trained weapon skill and jumped into spells hard and ASAP (mystic blast on D2). You will never be good in melee as a DE so don’t try.

Also just have to mention that I saw this in the log and and some Crawl experience are constants and timeless:

21748 | Lair:4 | no
21748 | Lair:4 | god loving dammit
21748 | Lair:4 | i pressed d
21748 | Lair:4 | not q
21748 | Lair:4 | mother gently caress rear end poo poo
21752 | Lair:4 | gently caress you

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 4, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, even if you start as a DEGI, you still shouldn't play like one. That said, if the highscore has been standing for as long as it has, chances are it's because that combination is especially difficult to get off the ground. This is the kind of thing you should realistically expect to take months or possibly years of repeated attempts.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
It’s possible that they used something to do it that’s been removed, too.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Looking for some advice on my OpTm. I'm looking to try and get my first 15 rune win and I'm just going to start hitting extended endgame content. Not sure if I should improve what I'm already okay at (invocations + stealth) or try and build up something new, like getting iron shot + shatter online for ranged damage + ability to knock down walls and steal runes. Also looking for any general tips.

https://pastebin.com/pXm4Jswq

Edit: Also the damage calculations are a mystery to me. Is a +4 slaying bonus still particularly useful at this point or should I switch it out?

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 4, 2021

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

team overhead smash posted:

From their past post, they’ve got a few wins under their belts including a 4 and 5 rune 2-win streak. Still I’d generally agree and recommend going for 15 with a more viable race class combo if they haven’t already before trying to get a high score with a challenge combo.

I think it’s mostly this latter bit. If you check the log of that 8 year old DLGL high score win (in v .12!) you can see they basically never trained weapon skill and jumped into spells hard and ASAP (mystic blast on D2). You will never be good in melee as a DE so don’t try.

Also just have to mention that I saw this in the log and and some Crawl experience are constants and timeless:

21748 | Lair:4 | no
21748 | Lair:4 | god loving dammit
21748 | Lair:4 | i pressed d
21748 | Lair:4 | not q
21748 | Lair:4 | mother gently caress rear end poo poo
21752 | Lair:4 | gently caress you

Yeah, I enjoyed reading his logs, was a good laugh.

I do agree that DEGl can't be a fighter or do gladiator things and have any expectation of winning. I guess it's more of a question like, I have never all-runed a legit caster before, so I'm not entirely sure how it works, especially now. With the exception of my scum-hosed MuSu run from back when Haunt was King, I've always clawed or chopped stuff to death.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I don’t think Kiku is a terrible choice for DEGl, but you need to be pretty familiar with how to use necromancy to kill everything without putting yourself in danger, which isn’t as straightforward as other play styles. If you can make it to infestation, you should be all set for a three rune game, then you can easily branch out into other schools for 15 runes. If you made it to swamp, you can definitely win with a DEGl, it’s just going to be challenging. As for the high score, you’re probably going to need to either not fully clear every floor or have a really lucky run, but just getting 15 runes with DEGl in the first place will give you a good idea of what you need to do.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

team overhead smash posted:

Looking for some advice on my OpTm. I'm looking to try and get my first 15 rune win and I'm just going to start hitting extended endgame content. Not sure if I should improve what I'm already okay at (invocations + stealth) or try and build up something new, like getting iron shot + shatter online for ranged damage + ability to knock down walls and steal runes. Also looking for any general tips.

https://pastebin.com/pXm4Jswq

Edit: Also the damage calculations are a mystery to me. Is a +4 slaying bonus still particularly useful at this point or should I switch it out?

The advice is no longer needed, managed to get my first 15 rune with my mighty Octopode Transmuter. I've been trying to get that rolling off and on for a few years, so glad it finally worked. I think the big chance was going Gozag in the early game, so that if I survived to the mid-game I was in a very strong position with a full set of nice rings which also helped me get my higher level transmutations online early when they're most needed. after I got statue form it didn't quite get into "press tab to win" territory, but it got close.

https://pastebin.com/FiRzSjam

Now that I've got a 15 runner I can delete Crawl and never play it again. Except I didn't clear a Zigg.... hmmm, maybe one more go.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ran some characters in .26 and trunk the species that replaces centaurs is actually loving awful with a dumb gimmick. Berserker is just as powerful as ever, perhaps even more so. I haven't run into any problems with the zot clock yet.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Got a HuFe of vehumet going and being able to quiver spells just makes the game go faster. Pretty much have been doing O--->F and firing off orbs of destruction without any care in the world. Were staves of energy removed? Because I can't remember what my evocable options are now.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

baby delivery truck posted:

I still feel like it's so much easier than snake or shoals

I loathe Spider if only because of the emperor scorpions.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Victory Position posted:

I loathe Spider if only because of the emperor scorpions.

I got owned by it's red poison proc yesterday and that was an awful death.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lawman 0 posted:

Ran some characters in .26 and trunk the species that replaces centaurs is actually loving awful with a dumb gimmick. Berserker is just as powerful as ever, perhaps even more so. I haven't run into any problems with the zot clock yet.
Back up, they replaced centaurs?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Less "replaced" and more "removed."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What's the over-under on how long it takes someone on the trunk devteam to show up and explain to us plebs how the existence of centaurs ran contrary to the true spirit of DCSS?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
PleasingFungus added them, which then allowed a forum favourite Boulder Beetles to make a triumphant return.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

PleasingFungus added them, which then allowed a forum favourite Boulder Beetles to make a triumphant return.

They are also extremely deadly!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Back up, they replaced centaurs?

Yeah imagine centaurs but instead of being good at ranged combat they are good at nothing except weakly rolling into things.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
This all started with Mountain Dwarfs, but did any of you listen? No!

rko
Jul 12, 2017
first they came for the mountain dwarfs, and I did not speak out—

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

This might be one of the most overpowered feeling characters I've done. Got the Trident of the Octopus King as my archeologist drop, went qazal, and then the game decided to give me the Gong, Starlight, and the fencer's gloves after that. Just cleared a Zig without much trouble but I should just escape before I get cocky trying to clear another.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Man I need to go grab some fire resistance to close this one out, really not much to work with except for that nice ring.
edit: Honestly I'm not even sure what I should work in terms of spells with since they removed Charms entirely, maybe I should try ignition?
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.27-a0-287-gd4424db430 (webtiles) character file.

lawman0 the Ruinous (Human Fire Elementalist)     Turns: 106249, Time: 04:59:07

Health: 205/205    AC: 22    Str: 10    XL:     27
Magic:  47/47      EV: 20    Int: 27    God:    Vehumet [******]
Gold:   2390       SH: 12    Dex: 14    Spells: 13/67 levels left

rFire    . . .     SeeInvis +   b - staff of conjuration
rCold    + + .     Faith    .   x - +1 buckler {AC+3}
rNeg     + . .     Spirit   .   J - +2 leather armour {Will+}
rPois    .         Reflect  +   i - +2 helmet {SInv}
rElec    +         Harm     .   Q - +2 cloak {rCorr}
rCorr    +         Rampage  .   n - +2 pair of gloves
Will     +++..                  r - +2 pair of boots {Fly}
Stlth    +++.......             C - amulet of reflection
HPRegen  0.44/turn              f - ring of wizardry
MPRegen  0.30/turn              h - ring of Equilibrium {rElec rC++ rN+}

@: flying, studying 2 skills
A: no striking features
}: 4/15 runes: barnacled, slimy, silver, gossamer
a: Stop Flying, Renounce Religion

You are on level 5 of the Vaults.
You worship Vehumet.
Vehumet is exalted by your worship.
You have visited 11 branches of the dungeon, and seen 53 of its levels.
You have also visited: Ice Cave.

You have collected 10350 gold pieces.
You have spent 7960 gold pieces at shops.
https://cbro.berotato.org/morgue/lawman0/lawman0.txt

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 9, 2021

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

:toot: Think that might have been full zig clear too.
code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.22-a0-1003-g31bc37a129 (webtiles) character file.

15965594 MrDespair the End of an Era (level 27, 249/249 HPs)
             Began as a Demonspawn Archaeologist on Feb 6, 2021.
             Was the Champion of Qazlal.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Feb 9, 2021!

The game lasted 07:45:21 (99982 turns).

MrDespair the End of an Era (DsAc)                 Turns: 99982, Time: 07:45:22

Health: 249/249    AC: 51    Str: 24    XL:     27
Magic:  53/53      EV: 34    Int: 19    God:    Qazlal [******]
Gold:   13760      SH: 58    Dex: 21    Spells: 59/69 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   b - +9 demon trident (freeze)
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   d - +18 shield of the Gong {rElec rN+ MR+ EV-5}
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   R - +6 pearl dragon scales of Space {rN+ MR+ Regen+ Str-4}
rPois    +         Spirit   +   T - +4 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth--}
rElec    +         Reflect  +   H - +5 pair of fencer's gloves {+Riposte EV+3 Dex+10}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   P - +2 pair of boots "Poenk" {rElec MR+ Regen+ SInv}
MR       +++++     Clarity  +   t - amulet of Benevolence {Reflect rElec Str+4 Dex-4 SH+4}
Stlth    ..........             X - ring "Ydol" {rPois rC++ MR++ AC+3 Str-2}
HPRegen  2.31/turn              U - ring of Tur Etsi {rF++ MP+9 Str+2 Stlth-}
MPRegen  0.66/turn

@: regenerating, repel missiles
A: beak, hooves 1, horns 3, large bone plates 3, agile 1, clarity, fire
resistance 1, ignite blood, negative energy resistance 1, poison resistance, 50%
torment resistance, strong 2, evolution 2, magic shield, magic regeneration,
magic link, black mark, flame cloud immunity, MP-powered wands
0: Orb of Zot
}: 15/15 runes: decaying, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian, icy, bone,
abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark, gossamer
a: Release Permanent Buffs, Upheaval, Elemental Force, Disaster Area, Renounce
Religion

You escaped.
You worshipped Qazlal.
Qazlal was exalted by your worship.
You were completely stuffed.

You have taken no pledge.

You visited 18 branches of the dungeon, and saw 90 of its levels.
You visited Pandemonium 1 time, and saw 18 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 1 time.
You visited 2 bazaars.
You completed 1 ziggurat, and saw 27 of its levels.
You also visited: Labyrinth, Wizlab and Desolation.

You collected 19633 gold pieces.
You spent 5873 gold pieces at shops.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Trunk news: Looks like the Good Dev removed curses, rings of *Tele and amulets of Innac. Ash works with ?id now. I like it.

E: Mutations still lovely as ever though! https://cbro.berotato.org/morgue/puppykicker/morgue-puppykicker-20210210-165930.txt

In dragon form i had 500+ hp and one-shotted an orb of fire even, but was so sick of blurry vision and *tele that I just got out with 4 runes.
But also:

quote:

@: confused, mighty, brilliant, dragon-form, resistant, attractive, flying, very
slightly contaminated, lightly drained, invisible, very slow
:biglips:

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

One thing I always liked about ADOM is that finishing the game while too heavily mutated is not a failure condition, but it will get you are more sad epilogue in which you are ostracized for being a horrid unnatural abomination that creeps out everyone around you.