Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Jazerus posted:

this is just embarassing

If you say so. I'm pretty sure in reality you are just terminally bored. At least that's what's relfected in your ostensible comedy posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
He says, while dying on the dumbest possible hill.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

girl dick energy posted:

He says, while dying on the dumbest possible hill.

Are all of your posts sourced from twitter bots

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

What hill am i even supposed to be fuckin' dying on lmao. You stopped attempting to criticise the ranged merge half a page ago and have just been typing tepid generic insults at me since.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Amethyst posted:

I think this discussion is based on a kind of false premise that all ranged have been merged to one. Throwing still exists. They have gone from 5 mostly undifferentiated skill groups to 2, which are differentiated.

So there’s no longer 27 skills any more and I am sad

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Arivia posted:

So there’s no longer 27 skills any more and I am sad

This is legit actually. Need another one to address this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Amethyst posted:

Reply hazy, ask again later

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Amethyst posted:

None of this poo poo is concrete or really applicable to dcss.

so we can only add things to the game that already exist, and also remove things that exist - we cannot come up with ideas to be implemented, gotcha

jesus christ you're insufferable,

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqTjKhYh4fs

Will both of you shut up?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

death cob for cutie posted:

so we can only add things to the game that already exist, and also remove things that exist - we cannot come up with ideas to be implemented, gotcha

jesus christ you're insufferable,

What part of that post would you add? I don't see any of it making the game better. that was my whole point, not this weird free associative spiel you made up

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I am attempting to talk about game mechanics. Go away.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Line of sight isn't really large enough to play much with ranges beyond melee->reach->shooters imo. how much good would a sling with 3 squares of range be? Penetration is already in the game. Anything I missed?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Amethyst posted:

What part of that post would you add? I don't see any of it making the game better. that was my whole point, not this weird free associative spiel you made up
The devteam’s not gonna gently caress you, dude.

Serephina posted:

Will both of you shut up?
Yeah, I should sleep, I’m getting scrappy.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Amethyst posted:

I think crossbows and bows still using separate weapon skills and getting a new unique mechanic where STR/DEX affect attack speed rather than damage would be interesting, which would make the game better.

But I guess because it's not concrete then it doesn't matter

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

girl dick energy posted:

The devteam’s not gonna gently caress you, dude.

Yeah, I should sleep, I’m getting scrappy.

Can you gently caress off with this poo poo, please? I doubt you are even amusing yourself.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I think crossbows and bows still using separate weapon skills and getting a new unique mechanic where STR/DEX affect attack speed rather than damage would be interesting, which would make the game better.

But I guess because it's not concrete then it doesn't matter
It doesn't, you're right. Literally what is the point on speculatively criticizing a design when you don' even have a suggestion? I don't get why you are all pissed off at me for harshly criticising this bad idea when harsh critique is ostensibly the norm itt.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It would be nice to have more bonuses for using a Triple Crossbow. The 1 aut min delay hurts hard compared to bows firing like an assault rifle, slings allowing you to equip a shield and throwing weapons having Big Rock and Piercing properties of Javelins.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

the suggestion is to... do the thing I suggested? do I have to go make a pull request first?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I mean, if you want to.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

the suggestion is to... do the thing I suggested? do I have to go make a pull request first?

Oh sorry i misread. Dex scaling. Eh, i guess? Maybe? why is it good I haven't really thought about it.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I'd rather just do it in my own fork, which I would be starting on next week but my job decided to stick me with teaching yet another miserable class

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Amethyst posted:

Oh sorry i misread. Dex scaling. Eh, i guess? Maybe? why is it good I haven't really thought about it.

fine, okay, let me come up with a weird free associative spiel on the topic whilst making GBS threads

str and dex affecting attack speed for crossbows and bows respectively would be interesting because:
  • it's another lever to pull on for balancing purposes, which is always useful IMO
  • it could potentially create an interesting new playstyle/mechanical twist where the damage you deal is less influenced by your base stats and more affected by your attack speed
    • this could be part of a rework that makes all ranged weapon brands increase damage by a flat value (like electrocution) rather than as a factor of the damage the weapon itself were to do normally
    • could get some fun new ranged-only brands or spells that affect ranged combat, which IMO is incredibly boring
    • maybe we could also get some more ways of temporarily applying brands to a weapon (melee or ranged) since evidently loving Excruciating Wounds is going away???
  • creates a niche for ranged weapons to rapidly take down weak creatures at range before switching to a melee weapon for dealing with tougher foes, an alternative to spellcasting with its own strengths/weaknesses (bring back branded ammo imvho, give it a separate storage)
  • a shakeup of ranged weapons would be a good reason to add some new artifacts for them
    • there are a grand total of five? ranged unrandarts, and some weapon types don't even get one - there's no shortbow, hand crossbow or sling, for example
    • god forbid this game get more content and not less

downsides that immediately come to mind:
  • imagining this would be pretty hilarious on chei followers unless there was some kind of diminishing returns
  • communicating to a player that This Specific Type Of Weapon Works Differently may be kind of tedious, which goes against DCSS being theoretically playable without an outside resource
    • but how loving true is that, even the outside resources are unreliable sometimes

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice

Amethyst posted:

Everyone is reading this and laughing, and wishing I would stop talking about the game.

Honestly yes

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

it's really impressive to develop main character syndrome in a roguelike thread

fine, okay, let me come up with a weird free associative spiel on the topic whilst making GBS threads

str and dex affecting attack speed for crossbows and bows respectively would be interesting because:
  • it's another lever to pull on for balancing purposes, which is always useful IMO
  • it could potentially create an interesting new playstyle/mechanical twist where the damage you deal is less influenced by your base stats and more affected by your attack speed
    • this could be part of a rework that makes all ranged weapon brands increase damage by a flat value (like electrocution) rather than as a factor of the damage the weapon itself were to do normally
    • could get some fun new ranged-only brands or spells that affect ranged combat, which IMO is incredibly boring
    • maybe we could also get some more ways of temporarily applying brands to a weapon (melee or ranged) since evidently loving Excruciating Wounds is going away???
  • creates a niche for ranged weapons to rapidly take down weak creatures at range before switching to a melee weapon for dealing with tougher foes, an alternative to spellcasting with its own strengths/weaknesses (bring back branded ammo imvho, give it a separate storage)
  • a shakeup of ranged weapons would be a good reason to add some new artifacts for them
    • there are a grand total of five? ranged unrandarts, and some weapon types don't even get one - there's no shortbow, hand crossbow or sling, for example
    • god forbid this game get more content and not less

downsides that immediately come to mind:
  • imagining this would be pretty hilarious on chei followers unless there was some kind of diminishing returns
  • communicating to a player that This Specific Type Of Weapon Works Differently may be kind of tedious, which goes against DCSS being theoretically playable without an outside resource
    • but how loving true is that, even the outside resources are unreliable sometimes

add in a stabbing bonus for ranged weapons and/or an invokeable 'aim' ability where you can use up a turn that would fire the weapon to add a slaying bonus to your next ranged attack

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

some kind of stabbing bonus for ranged weapons makes sense, definitely. my immediate reaction to aim actions would be "what key would you put it on" but I guess there is a whole-rear end evoke key that rarely sees use there, huh

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
amethyst only good poster the rest of you dont play crawl just post and complain zzz

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I used to splat so many characters during the workday, but my workload basically doubled and now I have to actually earn my salary :/

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Amethyst posted:

Everyone is reading this and laughing, and wishing I would stop talking about the game.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024?t=jUoNdOvpBY3LzTf6Q-29dQ&s=19

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Amethyst posted:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Dril quotes, diagnoses of main character syndrome. Its like im really here, in the shittiest twitter thread on the web. Thank you everyone.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

amethysts posting is extremely cringe, but the Epic Clapback posts in response are just as bad. please, for the love of god everyone post about crawl, preferably specifically about the fork you actually enjoy playing

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Extremely funny.

I appreciated the effort post about dex scaling. I think its ok maybe?? Id try the fork anyway

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
DCSS has been my good friend for over a decade please stop with the insults. Think of how much you have changed in that time, allow crawl to do the same.

I just looked up my online scores and my first online win was ten years ago this month.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

studio mujahideen posted:

amethysts posting is extremely cringe, but the Epic Clapback posts in response are just as bad. please, for the love of god everyone post about crawl, preferably specifically about the fork you actually enjoy playing

This except I'll also start throwing probations around.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Chakan posted:

Playing gooncrawl, I have an ogre to mid-lair and I’ve started getting GSC online. I started as a hybrid because “if I’m gonna get hit, might as well have chill touch and ozocubu’s to help me” so I have some ability to cast but I’m leaning into my club and building defences before I hit the hard part of mid-game right now. I found a pretty early altar of Okawaru so that’s my god.

I’m not sure what spells I should be on the lookout for, that might make casting particularly worthwhile once I get to turn it back on, or how best to prepare for my first couple runes. Passable AC and EV right now, but I’m working on the EV. Phoneposting or I would just post the log.

This guy splat to a hydra long after I thought they wouldn't be an issue. #ogrelife

The only thing I'll note beyond "you are a giant bag of HP with no defences" is that if you can find the XP to spare for throwing, big rocks hurt enemies a lot more than you think.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mortimer Knag posted:

DCSS has been my good friend for over a decade please stop with the insults. Think of how much you have changed in that time, allow crawl to do the same.

I just looked up my online scores and my first online win was ten years ago this month.

I've played this game for over a decade. I have 116 wins and 1000 games played. Its crazy to think but for better or worse, DCSS has been a massive part of my teenage/young adult life.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

We know, braggart!
but seriously that's some good stats.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Continuing my run with Ice elementalist Palentonga. So far it seems to be the most reliable way to take down gnoll packs and survive early game. Hopefully I'll luck into having Vehemut grant me freezing clouds and Ozocubu's Refrigeration to allow me to breeze through the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
I appreciate whenever someone comes in and stirs poo poo up in here. It feels like there's been more posts in the last month than there were in the 2 years before that.