Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I dunno what the flavor would be but I feel like gooncrawl should have a background that starts with a bunch of purple chunks in its inventory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
^^ Mutationist!

I would be pretty against the abomination having innate screaming mutation. Why? Because it has no mouth and it must scream.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bogart posted:

^^ Mutationist!

I would be pretty against the abomination having innate screaming mutation. Why? Because it has no mouth and it must scream.

Start with innate screaming AND permanent mute.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Floodkiller posted:

Gooncrawl updates:
    Mortal enemies: snakes and boulder beetles.

I got that vault yesterday and loved it btw

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jon Joe posted:

Reading through the design docs, I think I have a pretty good idea now how to impliment new species. I'm currently working on an Abomination species, an item-dependent crime against nature. Before I go through all the effort of implimenting it, I'd like to fetch what you all think of the idea.

Using the small abomination sprite, the species fluff is a wizard who was banished to the abyss, went mad, and escaped decided to create the ultimate species. Using insperation/pieces from merfolk, formicid, octopede, and trolls, with some human as well because it's good filler, he succeeded. However, the thing's mind could barely comprehend its new body (think frankenstein's monster) so it ran away and into the dungeon.

The positives:

8 rings!
2-handed weapons + shield!
Full equipment slots except gloves
Water breathing!
Regeneration!
+1 XP, +10% HP, +10% MP

Now I'm sure that sounds overpowered as poo poo, and that's because it is. Let's look at how this balances out, though.

The negatives:
-2 pips of fire resistence (the stiched-together body holds poorly against fire)
No natural magic resistence (held together with magic, innate resistence would tear itself apart)
The second worst base stats in the game, next to the ghoul
Terrible aptitudes (not sure how terrible yet. At least -1 in all but select skills, and probably -2 in the majority. Also -5 stealth.)

Other negatives im unsure about adding:
Innate shouting mutation
Innate blurry vision mutation

The idea is a species which sorely needs to use most of its slot-enhancements just to cover its weaknesses, with an easy early game, an insanely difficult mid game, and will probably be one of the best species imaginable for late game if you're lucky with items/don't train all over place. Think of it like the opposite of a gnoll.

This sounds awesome and I'd love to give it a shot as someone who masochistically enjoys brutal early-mid games in the hope of becoming god-like by the end.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Started playing this at work and none of the menus are readable. eg if I hit w the box appears that should list out what weapons I can wield but it's blank/empty. I can still equip a weapon but I have to remember which hotkey it was assigned to. Is this a common issue/easy fix or do y'all reckon it's just my work PC/servers/proxies bullshit?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Could we change Veh to stop offering lvl 1 (and 2) spells? They seem like a waste of time if you're already xl 5 or 6 when you find the altar, then need to build piety for the first gift.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Saith posted:

Started playing this at work and none of the menus are readable. eg if I hit w the box appears that should list out what weapons I can wield but it's blank/empty. I can still equip a weapon but I have to remember which hotkey it was assigned to. Is this a common issue/easy fix or do y'all reckon it's just my work PC/servers/proxies bullshit?
Is it downloaded or webtiles? Gooncrawl is on CBRO, which might work better.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Speleothing posted:

Could we change Veh to stop offering lvl 1 (and 2) spells? They seem like a waste of time if you're already xl 5 or 6 when you find the altar, then need to build piety for the first gift.
It works out sometimes if the spell is one of school that you know you want but haven't found any spell books for yet. Helps to get that training going.

But other than that can't say I would care to much

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Veh offering spells that start at lvl1 and go to lvl9 is a huge thematic point. His real benefit are the passives + the lvl9 spells, anything before that is just a cool flavorful bonus that occasionally gives you rare funny nukes. 10/10 never change Veh.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Bad news on the abomination, guys.

The way octopedes are coded, their ring slots 'take up' the slots usually dedicated to other equipment, meaning I can't actually impliment 8 rings without either removing most the other slots (like octepedes) or completely rewriting the code that handles equipment slots (which I don't know how to do).

edit: I might have been dumb and found a fix. Maybe.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 16, 2018

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
In the adventures of programming an abomination, all my problems were caused by typing != instead of == at a single location.

!= != ==

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 16, 2018

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Alright, the abomination is now fully functional as described. Early game is a little harder than expected due to aptitudes, and there's a graphical bug where your rings won't show up on the character screen (but will still show up in your inventory and on the (P)ut and (R)remove menus), but otherwise everything works as intended! Beware orc wizards.

Floodkiller, do you just want me to submit a pull?

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 16, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Aptitudes should be tweaked, I'm sure. A good necro apt seems...

Apt. :c00lbert:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

Aptitudes should be tweaked, I'm sure. A good necro apt seems...

Apt. :c00lbert:

It's already 0 which is good for this species.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Jon Joe posted:

Alright, the abomination is now fully functional as described. Early game is a little harder than expected due to aptitudes, and there's a graphical bug where your rings won't show up on the character screen (but will still show up in your inventory and on the (P)ut and (R)remove menus), but otherwise everything works as intended! Beware orc wizards.

Floodkiller, do you just want me to submit a pull?

Yeah, if you want to make a pull request, I can remember to include it in the next round of voting (warning: it might take a bit before we get to that depending on how long the remaining items for this version take). It will also run continuous integration on it, so you can check for any build errors that may not have popped up before.

Make sure you make the pull request against fork Floodkiller/crawl, branch gooncrawl. Don't accidentally submit it to mainline crawl!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Floodkiller posted:

submit it to mainline crawl!

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

PMush Perfect posted:

Is it downloaded or webtiles? Gooncrawl is on CBRO, which might work better.

Ayyy thanks for this, Gooncrawl works just fine!

e: Any way to save mid-run?

Saith fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 16, 2018

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Hm, I just compiled the latest version (for the first time) and wanted to share it here but the archive is gigantic.

Any tips on what I am doing wrong?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Saith posted:

Ayyy thanks for this, Gooncrawl works just fine!

e: Any way to save mid-run?
Autosave is 100% automatic, also shift-S.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Anyone know what happened to the tiles version of SS for android? The link from the main crawl page is dead and I can't find it by searching the play store either, just the ASCII version.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Pharnakes posted:

Anyone know what happened to the tiles version of SS for android? The link from the main crawl page is dead and I can't find it by searching the play store either, just the ASCII version.

ASCII is probably better for a small screen

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

minmay objected to the lack of numpad

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Floodkiller posted:

Yeah, if you want to make a pull request, I can remember to include it in the next round of voting (warning: it might take a bit before we get to that depending on how long the remaining items for this version take). It will also run continuous integration on it, so you can check for any build errors that may not have popped up before.

Make sure you make the pull request against fork Floodkiller/crawl, branch gooncrawl. Don't accidentally submit it to mainline crawl!

I've sent that, plus another pull request with the Jivya zealot background from the 2.0 specifications. Let's get this thing done!

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Did Gooncrawl change the way the Abyssal Rune is generated? I've been chilling on Abyss:6 for like 30 minutes of real time and I've yet to see the rune.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Mystery Prize posted:

Did Gooncrawl change the way the Abyssal Rune is generated? I've been chilling on Abyss:6 for like 30 minutes of real time and I've yet to see the rune.

Any level below Abyss:5 spawns the rune vaults at the same rate as Abyss:5, I believe.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Noted. It took me another 10 minutes to find it, which is weird; I usually find it pretty quickly if I dive to Abyss:5.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

How does GoonCrawl Abyss work for the rune? I've spent ~20000 turns between 3 and 6 (most on 5, I think) and I haven't found the rune yet. My character o-tabbed through all the Hells except for 7, but I almost got my rear end beat on Abyss:3 (hubris was involved) and a few of the fights on A:5 were easily the hardest so far in the game. Did we change up Abyss significantly or am I just suffering from a lovely RNG?

E: Phoneposting so no chardump but I'm bitcoinbastard on CBRO if someone else can. Gr of TSO, 27s on fighting, maces, armour, shields, and invocations; 20ish dodge, and maxed out resists except for corrosion.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 20, 2018

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I had a similar issue not too recently, rune took forever to find. I ended up needing to go down to Abyss 7 to find the rune.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imo its a p good change, abyss was considered oddly easy considering its supposed to be a hosed-up swirling nightmarescape

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Gooncrawl update: Couldn't get in the mood to work more on permabuffs this weekend, but I went through some pull requests that got submitted by Jon Joe and Metoron!
-Added Jellifiers, a background that worships Jiyva (thanks, Jon Joe!). Drink the (starting) purple! (please feel free to bikeshed the name, I just merged it as is because I would have gone with Slime Knight but that overlaps the abbreviation SK with Skald)
-Re-added Healer background, which worships Elyvilon (thanks, Metoron!). Be healthy!
-Tweaked the harp of healing from 10+(1*Evocations) to 5+(0.75*Evocations), also from Metoron. I would have gotten around to tweaking it myself as well, and this is close enough to the numbers I was thinking of to keep it relevant in both low and high evocation use without going completely bonkers like it was before.

Github seems to be having problems recognizing the Healer and Harp of Healing commits at the moment, so only Jellifiers are 'actually' in at the moment. Hopefully it unclogs itself sometime tonight.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Potential Jivya priest class names:

Primordialist
Dissolver
Oozepostle
Goo Knight
Amoebist
Slimephile
Body Hacker

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
Goosader

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I 15 runed 5 guys today (not from scratch, made save files on new version over the last couple weeks) and had some takeaways, mostly about extended:
- Abyss is kinda boring now. I'm not sure why, but it feels like I can "wrap" abyss (e.g. come across the same place by moving in one direction) much easier in this version of it, especially on Abyss 1-3. This makes it feel smaller and a bit less exciting. The extra levels might make people who go to Abyss 27 more excited, but to me it feels like spreading relatively thin content across even more levels. I will say the "spawn portal after x amount XP" is a great thing though, but it's been around for a while. I think Abyss is in a way better place for the "sent there too early" scenario, but is a bit worse on the "entered on purpose to get the rune" scenario, which is still a net win probably.
- Stores/Bazaars in Pan! Neat! Not useful, but neat. Gives you a bit of an incentive to look around more but generally if you're in there in the first place there isn't anything you'll find in a store that will help. I mostly used it to stock up on sundries like magic mapping, blink, heal wounds, etc. Suggest making another Demon Rune vault based around stores now.
- Throwing can be really awesome! I did a 27-zig almost by accident with a HOFi and kept saying "ok, if I get a crazy hard level I'm just going to blink/run out of there" and I never did. That said, the levels got so big I started just throwing some of 90 or so javelins of penetration I had, and with throw at 27 and at 50 STR it actually is pretty OP. Realizing this made Hell(s) easier too because most of the time I was one shotting Tormentors and other bullshit smite targeters, and because of Penetration it didn't matter if other dudes were in the way. Potent as it is though, it's kind of a roll of the dice that you'll get enough ammo to make it viable (unless you're doing large rocks). I only could because of multiple Mer-zig levels.
- Peak Vine Stalkers can be terrifying. I'm not sure how but I had +17 (gloves of war, +6 ring, +6 amulet) slaying and 52 STR on a M+F 27 Skill with +9 Eveningstar of Freezing. Just mulched through everything. Didn't have rElec and rCorr and had to switch gear to get rF+++ or rC+++ but just didn't care because everything died so quickly. It's a pain to baby them up to level 12 or so, but after that holy moley.

Speaking of Zigs, do they get harder after you finish the first one now?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
They sure do! It was introduced way back in 0.16, because of people like you (and the rash of uber naga). It caps at 13 iterations, but by the 4th or 5th every tile on a floor will be filled by a monster.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Potential Jivya priest class names:

Primordialist
Dissolver
Oozepostle
Goo Knight
Amoebist
Slimephile
Body Hacker

Jiggler

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Vibrationist

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hyedum posted:

Goosader
I like this one.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Would just "Goon" be too on the head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Does anyone have a link to that crazy haifisch run where every purple was a godlike mutation?