Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Internet Kraken posted:

You know if the devs really didn't think there were enough charms spells to justify it existing as a school anymore, they could of just moved those spell effects to other schools rather than tie them to equipment your character may not even be able to use.

Maybe they could mix charms spells with hexes, since buffs are thematically similar to debuffs. Make a new spell school. Call it enchantments or something. Ya know, just a random thought.

They..did that though? A number of them that were not always cast before an encounter were turned single-school. So Swiftness, Ozo's, Song of Slaying/Wereblood, Excruciating Wounds, Death's Door, and Battlesphere all survived.

Darkness turned into a scarf which is a slot that most species can use. Spectral weapons only showing up on wooden weapons as a brand may be worth revisiting since I'd be hard pressed to want it over say Fire/Elec/Ice or Holy in later parts of the game. Ring of Fire is lost flavour in my eyes; it's a fairly unique spell as an enhancer and putting it on a rarely seen unrandart is not doing it favours.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Sage Grimm posted:

They..did that though? A number of them that were not always cast before an encounter were turned single-school. So Swiftness, Ozo's, Song of Slaying/Wereblood, Excruciating Wounds, Death's Door, and Battlesphere all survived.

Darkness turned into a scarf which is a slot that most species can use. Spectral weapons only showing up on wooden weapons as a brand may be worth revisiting since I'd be hard pressed to want it over say Fire/Elec/Ice or Holy in later parts of the game. Ring of Fire is lost flavour in my eyes; it's a fairly unique spell as an enhancer and putting it on a rarely seen unrandart is not doing it favours.
They mean that hexes and charms used to be a single school, enchantments. The split happened in 0.8.

I'm most bothered by these changes:

ring of flames: shouldn't be reduced to an unrand.
wereblood: it's song of slaying, but undead can't use it and put in a school for unarmed.
spectral ego: strictly worse and more limited than spectral weapon. changing it to hexes/summoning would be ok I guess but then it doesn't fit in a starter book.
Skald was a cool background, but can't exist now.

I won't bring up the charms that have been removed over the years.

edit:
now that I think about it, I would very much prefer the devs went the enchanments path: recombine hexes and charms, tweak individual charms as necessary to give them 'opportunity cost', keep skald, bring back haste and regeneration

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 17, 2020

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Someone PM'd me for an updated build which really just does some wizlab key fixes but here you go:
Linux: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UpXYv9ykaYt8xaTf802IneTieKwtpKDN/view?usp=sharing
Windows: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XWAM-2tPQSeLkNHTKuPuUMg_LUH1wXi3/view?usp=sharing

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Github URL still works as-is? Because I'd really rather just compile it myself.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Github URL still works as-is? Because I'd really rather just compile it myself.

Yep, following the install instructions using Gooncrawl's GitHub URL still works just fine.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Since I'm in gripe mode, I might as well talk about a flavor thing that has been bothering me.

One thing I really liked about races in Crawl is that for a lot of them, they actually showed up as enemies. Some are basic enemies like ogres, while others would show up in the form of unique NPCs. For awhile the number of player species represented through enemies actually increased, such as with the addition of numerous spriggan enemies. Its a small thing but I liked things like this. Especially when the enemies were designed to reflect builds a player might actually use for a species.

But some of those enemies have been removed, either cut entirely or through rebranding to a more mundane counterpart. I only bring this up cause removing centaurs means there's one less of those species that you could play as and see as an enemy. And I liked that for flavor. Plus it also helps you get an idea of what exactly a species is like when you see them as an enemy. I just wish more of the new species got represented as enemies.

This is one of my favorite things too. To this day my favorite win was an agnes, a lajatang wielding spriggan. I mean I had tornado castable, but I was still agnes 2.0. It was so fun.

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011
Hey is there any way you can make it so that cacodemons etc al don't target stealthy characters from 3 whole screens away with their offensive abilities out of los?

Getting roasted by heat seeking dig spell users is not exactly fun or even intended behavior I imagine

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
drat, 200 posts, what hap- oh. :yikes:

Mottie posted:

Hey is there any way you can make it so that cacodemons etc al don't target stealthy characters from 3 whole screens away with their offensive abilities out of los?
I'm pretty sure that's on FK's to-do list.

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm pretty sure that's on FK's to-do list.

That's pretty good then! Sorry for sounding snippy, Gooncrawl is actually really good and I was tilting after almost dying to -48 Corrosion, whoops.

Side note - stealth characters are definitely interesting, but it does feel like I'm living on a prayer when I have 150 max hp, gosh.

E: Crawl science - can you hit yourself with a time stopped enemy? That seems like a very interesting way to die if that is the case

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I have now won every single species in crawl that exists in trunk via xomscumming, and also Centaur on top of that since I did that before it got removed.
28 xomscummed wins, 12 of which were in a single behemoth streak. I even did Troll Chaos Knight because I did it actually legit a few years ago which meant I didn't do it via xomscumming.

I feel like I may actually understand Xom now.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Anyone have advice for demigods? I feel like mine are always lacking a little something in the mid-late game without a god or any high-apt skills I find myself in Depths with low teens on a bunch of skills and no real showstopper to get through hard situations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

the Orb of Zot posted:

12 of which were in a single behemoth streak

Mother-of-God... That's nuts.

How many had really hairy moments that had you sweating?

How do you xom-scum these days anyway?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

Mother-of-God... That's nuts.

How many had really hairy moments that had you sweating?

How do you xom-scum these days anyway?

go to the temple and hold wait until xom has pumped you up into a super mutant, then tell him to gently caress off and hulk smash your way through the rest of the game

Meunkin
Sep 11, 2001

puppiespuppiespuppies
On most characters, I do D:15 and Elf 1-2 before Shoals. Sometimes E:3 too. Crazy?

Meunkin
Sep 11, 2001

puppiespuppiespuppies
This is the shittiest bazaar. It's poo poo. It's real bad is what I'm saying. The chance you get 2 garbage shops is so high.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I haven't even seen a bazaar in forever.

It'd be great if they had a random chance of appearing in Pan or there was an item that could spawn anywhere and multiple times a game that was a whistle or ticket to open a portal to the bazaar, a la Ziggurat Figurines or the Wizard's Key.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

FulsomFrank posted:

It'd be great if they had a random chance of appearing in Pan or there was an item that could spawn anywhere and multiple times a game that was a whistle or ticket to open a portal to the bazaar, a la Ziggurat Figurines or the Wizard's Key.

I think they do spawn in Pan.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/commit/eaf2cae4853b18b2833cd59c5a8a6dfb70ae0725#diff-9445c970822520fb5ebd091fa9ae66e6

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
July 14!

Time to start up a new game!

Thank God for Goon Crawl (TGFGC) and outstanding work as usual FK.

VVVV :( I still appreciate your work. That just means I have had poo poo luck finding bazaars then in the games I've played and the many goddamn floors of Pan I've been scumming looking for Lords and XP.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 24, 2020

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

July 14!

Time to start up a new game!

Thank God for Goon Crawl (TGFGC) and outstanding work as usual FK.

Just so you don't think I'm actually working at a decent pace, that's July 14, 2018.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Floodkiller posted:

Just so you don't think I'm actually working at a decent pace, that's July 14, 2018.

Which just makes you even further ahead of schedule. :thunk:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Here's some actual dev work, cacodemons can no longer corrode you through walls (because they have the insane stat drain Malmutate now):
https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/commit/47aa21b7c3e3bfecf0f8506b0fc7d636f0445a99

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
My current gooncrawl dude is a demonspawn of Gozag with the +regen on kills mutation, the robe of vines (regen +7) a vampiric rapier, and the regeneration spell. Give him an amulet of acrobat and he can bail on any situation and be back to full health real fast. Lets see how I manage to splat him.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Damage spiked, probably. You're really good on recovery and I can't see that character ever die from attrition, but high burst damage would take you down in no time flat.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Cardiovorax posted:

Damage spiked, probably. You're really good on recovery and I can't see that character ever die from attrition, but high burst damage would take you down in no time flat.

A room full hellions...

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

So, uh delvers are interesting.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Reginald Bathwater posted:

So, uh delvers are interesting.

Delvers start with pretty high stealth, and my strategy has been to creep around for the first < and blow mapping there. If temple isn't there, I get all the way back up to d:1 and play it like a normal character unless I feel brave enough to further explore d:5 for temple. Getting your desired diety in less than 100 turns is completely possible.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

Yeah, I wish they had one offensive/hex wand or something so you could gamble on a big kill early. This game grinder was round the first corner and paralysed me instantly, but now I’ve got one up and running. Night stalker kobold is pretty great, I’ll have to try one with Wu Jian for serpents lash across the whole sight range

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

This is probably stupid, but I can't understand why it its not working to at least attempt and hilariously blow up in my face:

I'm in an Ice Cave, and facing an (ostensibly stationary) Ice Statue that I can't take on well myself. But I'm worshipping Hep and have the melee ancestor. I'm trying to use shout commands to send him in there a-suicide-bombing and he keeps following me around as I back up. Is it because of the exclusion zone mechanics? I just want to send the ancestor fella to his death to see if he can put a dent in this thing!

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Summons can't fight stuff out of vision, I think?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Regular Summoning summons can't do that, yeah, and it's probably a rule for summons in general. I think that it might not quite apply to necromancy minions, though? I'm not a hundred percent on that, but when I hosed around with a hacked-in persistent Death Channel spell, I would occasionally get more spectres coming in from off-screen.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I can't remember where it was posted, but someone did a writeup about how Wu Jian is a great choice for spellcasters, and I just ascended a HuIE with one. Between lashing into enemies (I was using absolute zero, and would get closest to, say, a lich to take it out) and lashing away from hard mobs, along with the fog from heavenly storm, I was able to completely control all of my battles. Lash is especially helpful during the orb run because it has a short cooldown. Used walljump exactly once.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Cardiovorax posted:

Regular Summoning summons can't do that, yeah, and it's probably a rule for summons in general. I think that it might not quite apply to necromancy minions, though? I'm not a hundred percent on that, but when I hosed around with a hacked-in persistent Death Channel spell, I would occasionally get more spectres coming in from off-screen.

Guessing my Hep ancestor is a 'regular summon' for the purpose of this rule? I stood in a bit closer (like, in the exclusion zone, lol) and was able to get him to tank the stationary tower. Had it down to a sliver of health before we had to retreat and bail on the cave -- at some point I was spending more in scrolls and potions than I was going to get out of it as a reward, and lol if I was going to be able to take down a frost giant with that character (a too-focused-on-ice damage caster).

I'm still very much a newb and have splatted a lot of characters that 'feel' much stronger than this one via hubris and poor decisionmaking -- I feel like this guy is just going to die to poor skilling decisions or something.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 30, 2020

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

quote:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.26-a0-475-gcf37096eec (console) character file.

Game seed: 8232099744623009018

4484359 Lightli the Bringer of Light (level 27, 258/258 HPs)
Began as a Gargoyle Chaos Knight on July 30, 2020.
Was the Champion of the Shining One.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 15 runes on July 31, 2020!

The game lasted 07:43:17 (606047 turns).

Lightli the Bringer of Light (GrCK) Turns: 606047, Time: 07:43:17

Health: 258/258 AC: 93 Str: 29 XL: 27
Magic: 45/48 EV: 38 Int: 28 God: the Shining One [******]
Gold: 37877 SH: 65 Dex: 18 Spells: 20/80 levels left

rFire + + . SeeInvis + b - +3 staff {rElec rF++ rC++ MR++ AC+5}
rCold + + + Faith . r - +12 tower shield "Xareu" {rElec rF- Str+3 Dex+6}
rNeg + + + Spirit + O - +8 orange crystal plate armour {Archmagi, Int+3 Clar}
rPois ∞ Reflect . D - +3 crown of Dyrovepreva {rElec Int+2 SInv}
rElec + Harm . Q - +1 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth--}
rCorr . Clarity + C - +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Slay+5}
MR +++++ W - +3 pair of boots "Ehinafiq" {*Drain rF+ Str+4}
Stlth .......... K - brooch of Shielding {Spirit SH+8}
HPRegen 1.33/turn F - ring of Robustness {AC+8}
MPRegen 0.31/turn x - ring of Phasing {EV+8}

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Lightli/morgue-Lightli-20200731-020821.txt

Behold the most powerful character I have ever played. I decided to do GrCK again because my first one set for 15 runes had to abort that at the last second so I could squeeze in the CeDe game, and I may as well xomscum my way to glory.

93 AC, 38 EV, and 48 SH without divine shield up, 65 SH with divine shield up.
Every single skill at 27, with level 9 spells at a scant 6% failure rate in OCPA and packing two separate levels of enhancers.
Literally the only things that were an actual threat by the end were tomb floors due to the 10 million death curses and smite spam, and any floor that had something able to inflict silence (Tartarus floors being the biggest worry due to the extreme silence radius on silent spectres, while panlord floors and player ghost floors had the caveat that usually they only put up silence when adjacent to you, and then that left them open to being cut apart by the zealot's sword). Even then, all the actually scary floors were mostly solved by TSO heal on kills anyways, making the entire point moot; regular torment spam floors just had all the torments get healed off immediately after the next shatter.

I only won because I had become so blatantly overpowered that it was now boring, and having smashed 8 zigs into the dust was enough to kind of make the point that further zigs wouldn't actually be enough to kill me if I played carefully enough.

Oh, and press F to spit on xomscumming's corpse; there's finally a clock again that you will almost certainly never actually see unless you play incredibly degenerately and do things like try to xomscum, so don't worry about it.
http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=7adeca9acfde54597739e12cf3f33bb4836654d4

EDIT: Forgot to mention I did tomb for my third rune.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 31, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Guessing my Hep ancestor is a 'regular summon' for the purpose of this rule? I stood in a bit closer (like, in the exclusion zone, lol) and was able to get him to tank the stationary tower.
When I say Summoning summon, I mean the kind that is created by spells from the Summoning school of magic. Those run on some specific code that is not always applied in its entirety to every non-hostile creature the game can create for you. Anyway, yes, it seems that way, but I've never really played Heplilalilulelo so there might be some way around that and I just don't know how to do it. However, I can at least tell you that it's fairly easy to get rid of exclusion zones by following what is written in this article and you're always free to just walk right through them if they're in the way of something important. It's a tool for auto-exploring that is meant to keep you from auto-walking into a damaging area, so feel free to just ignore them and go right through it if it happens to be in the way of something important. :)

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Boots of rampaging are fun, move twice as fast toward enemies, kudos devs

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Boots of rampaging are fun, move twice as fast toward enemies, kudos devs

No rampage lunging, though. With the boots on, you can still lunge from one tile away but absolutely nothing happens two tiles away. Whirwind is also disabled. On the plus side, with serpent lash, you can move four tiles towards the enemy. This four tile instant movement would be so strong with a kobold stabber now that nightvision is in. Dig lunging went out though but I don't do much Fo^wu anymore.

I'm still loving wu for IE, you can hit a guy with hailstorm for times if you storm-storm-lash-storm-lash-storm

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Newest oddity from trunk devs, the replacement of food with an instant death clock that's not visible in any way? That apparently doesn't account for shaft traps in any way.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Just... Why...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

quote:

...and discourage
extremely time-consuming tactics (which tend not to be very fun!)

I don't understand - just choose not to use those tactics or know what you're getting in to in the first place?

I don't post much and I've never ascended but even I know that there are probably archaic or wild things that are weird and time consuming. Those are probably fun for some people and not for others (like me, maybe?) who would just choose not to do them.

Again, as someone who is a bad Crawl player and enjoys the game pretty casually the last thing I want is a sense that the game itself has put me on a clock. Food felt organic and something out of older roguelikes, a system to manage. Don't the players get to decide what is fun and what is not? All I can assume is they're talking about Xomscumming, which I don't understand because I'm bad, but... don't punish everyone else because there are loopholes or weird ways to play the game that became more viable because you gutted an entire system?

It seems like they've done the math but I guess I don't understand what they're balancing here, and that feels bad. I don't want to play a roguelike that punishes me for exploring or taking my time for any reason. And as someone who just plays for fun I certainly don't care if Forum Poster B decides to Xomscum a win or something.