Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Victory Position posted:

I've... got to admit, that's probably one of the best randarts I've ever seen. Could have been a ring, but wow.

No slaying bonus? Psh, into the trash it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
So has anyone else noticed that net traps are now the second deadliest thing in the game after hubris?

I finally have a little time off for the first time in forever and was gonna go ahead and finish Greater Minotaur on trunk but this makes Z5 vault just too much of a craps game.

Has it always been this way and I've just forgotten how to clear Zot?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I don't remember the last time I've been caught in one, let alone enough for it to be an issu-
Oh, nevermind, problem spotted. :v:

My recent gooncrawl problem has been an unusal number of D8 ugly things across multiple characters, plus some sort of bullshit D15 vault with multiple guardian mummies and ghouls(including a pack that spawned literally right next to an upstair). Super cool and great.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Got my second win :toot:! In 0.25 this time. (Last one was in 0.12 :corsair:)

pre:
1526353 SavageMessiah the Evocator (level 27, 264/264 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Fighter on Dec 6, 2020.
             Was the Champion of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Dec 8, 2020!

The game lasted 10:17:17 (93994 turns).

SavageMessiah the Evocator (Minotaur Fighter)      Turns: 93994, Time: 10:17:17

Health: 264/264    AC: 46    Str: 28    XL:     27
Magic:  38/38      EV: 20    Int:  9    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   7386       SH: 21    Dex: 21    Spells: 26/26 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   r - +10 morningstar of the Dove {speed, +Inv Dex+2}
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   P - +1 kite shield {rN+}
rNeg     + + .     Faith    .   n - +7 gold dragon scales
rPois    +         Spirit   .   D - +2 hat {SInv}
rElec    .         Reflect  +   O - +1 cloak {rCorr}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   Q - +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Slay+5}
MR       ++++.                  y - +2 pair of boots {run}
Stlth    ..........             S - amulet of Amelumaack {Reflect rPois rN+ Dex+4 SH+5}
HPRegen  0.54/turn              g - ring of Sidgh {rF+ MR+ Dex+3 SInv}
MPRegen  0.26/turn              Y - ring "Yziohoehu" {rF+ MR+}

@: quick
A: retaliatory headbutt, beak, horns 2, blink, cold resistance 1, deterioration
1, fire resistance 1, wild magic 2
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: decaying, silver, gossamer
a: Blink, Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility
I grew a beak! :crow:

Since I've repeated the feat, I guess my next target would be a win with a character that isn't easymode lol.

Also, gently caress klown pies, jesus christ. I hosed up and got turned into a wisp, my stats massively drained (int to 0), and couldn't drink potions. The only reason I was able to escape was that I was close to the stairs, there was only the one klown, and it was a decent distance from me (all by design). After that I burned a scroll of fog for every klown. It's a good thing I skipped crypt, I had to clear the place to get enough XP to get my drat stats back.

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 8, 2020

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Hey nerds, I'm working on an article and hoping there's someone competent at diving through source code history so I don't have to teach myself to do it. Remember that double damage bug in...I want to say the tail end of .15 to the release of .16? Where damage calculated twice on like all melee hits, and it took a non-trivial amount of time for people to notice? I would love to have the exact dates on when that bug was introduced and then found, so I can describe it more precisely + get to the right parts of the old Crawl thread. Actually not even a roguelike focused thing - I'm just kind of informally investigating the idea that being the kind of numerate person who is good at systems like Dungeon Crawl also makes you more blind to real patterns that exist because you know of more reasons why an apparent pattern might just be an illusion. But this is all memories from years gone by so I want to get it fresh before I go *too* far about it.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

hito posted:

Hey nerds, I'm working on an article and hoping there's someone competent at diving through source code history so I don't have to teach myself to do it. Remember that double damage bug in...I want to say the tail end of .15 to the release of .16? Where damage calculated twice on like all melee hits, and it took a non-trivial amount of time for people to notice? I would love to have the exact dates on when that bug was introduced and then found, so I can describe it more precisely + get to the right parts of the old Crawl thread. Actually not even a roguelike focused thing - I'm just kind of informally investigating the idea that being the kind of numerate person who is good at systems like Dungeon Crawl also makes you more blind to real patterns that exist because you know of more reasons why an apparent pattern might just be an illusion. But this is all memories from years gone by so I want to get it fresh before I go *too* far about it.

not a source dive person, but it was definitely identified and fixed during the .16 tournament. i got a MuAM win with that bug (unbeknownst to myself) on a game that went from march 19 - 21 of 2015. i couldn't tell you when it was introduced or the exact date it was fixed, though, or anything about the actual mechanics of it

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Knowing that it was in the 0.16 tournament helped a lot in the code diving, actually! Because Stone Soup tags their major releases I could look for the commits between 0.16.0 and 0.16.1. So the fix was added to the 0.16 release on March 22, 2015 by one of the main devs. A contributor by the name of SeveMonahan actually provided it a day earlier on the trunk and either they let one of the devs know or the dev bot announcement on committal may have clued them in.

Github is also handy in that it links the commit that it reverted, letting us see that the bug was introduced March 6, late into the release cycle. The variable damage_done was not a local variable and was modified inside calculate_damage() in attack.cc prior to March 22. So when melee_attack.cc, line near 431 was changed to be damage_done += calculate_damage(), it meant an inadvertant doubling of all player melee damage.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Sage Grimm posted:

Knowing that it was in the 0.16 tournament helped a lot in the code diving, actually! Because Stone Soup tags their major releases I could look for the commits between 0.16.0 and 0.16.1. So the fix was added to the 0.16 release on March 22, 2015 by one of the main devs. A contributor by the name of SeveMonahan actually provided it a day earlier on the trunk and either they let one of the devs know or the dev bot announcement on committal may have clued them in.

Github is also handy in that it links the commit that it reverted, letting us see that the bug was introduced March 6, late into the release cycle. The variable damage_done was not a local variable and was modified inside calculate_damage() in attack.cc prior to March 22. So when melee_attack.cc, line near 431 was changed to be damage_done += calculate_damage(), it meant an inadvertant doubling of all player melee damage.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much! So 286 is the first page where people could be encountering double damage. Will have to scroll longer to find when the consensus starts twigging on that people are winning more, but it should be interesting to study.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Wow, those changes make Swamp look like absolute hell now. Smaller, the weaker enemies are now gone, and there's now five new horrifying enemies there.

Melum
Oct 14, 2012

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Wow, those changes make Swamp look like absolute hell now. Smaller, the weaker enemies are now gone, and there's now five new horrifying enemies there.

It’s less tedious, but more dangerous in my opinion. In this sense it’s closer to Spider than Shoals now; the fenstrider witch is the meanest of the new monsters with paralyse and agony, the bloated husk the easiest (it explodes on death, kill from range). Bunyip is...a juggernaut lite? Didn’t have much trouble with revamped bog mummies, will o’ the wisps, or eleionoma, but the Goliath frogs can be surprisingly deadly with corrosion and speed. Much like the thorn hunter and shambling mangrove, none of them are that bad individually but with Swamp’s layout it’s hard to isolate them which is when they become really dangerous.

Now, getting swamps and shoals in the same run during trunk, repeatedly? That was hell.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

hito posted:

Is the article going to be available somewhere online when it's done, or is this for some fancy psychology journal or something? Sounds like an interesting read.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I think part of the problem with dev teams like this is they can't leave poo poo alone that needs to be left alone.

Being able to win the game is not a development failure.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The trunk dev team used to be fine, but at some point it tipped over into a group of people that only cared about a small group of high level players and speedrunning. End result is loss of lots of flavor, stuff being made harder for the sake of making it harder, and punishing people for not playing the way the dev team wants you to play.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Haifisch posted:

The trunk dev team used to be fine, but at some point it tipped over into a group of people that only cared about a small group of high level players and speedrunning. End result is loss of lots of flavor, stuff being made harder for the sake of making it harder, and punishing people for not playing the way the dev team wants you to play.
Game dev is a punishing, thankless job, and you need to be a certain kind of stubborn to even start it, much less create something that people can and will tear to shreds for shits and giggles.

Now imagine the kind of person it takes to keep up a job like that, for years, without pay, and you start to understand why the Crawl devs are so tunnel-visioned, narrow-minded, and hostile towards the idea of criticism.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Cataclysm: DDA has had the same problem for years now. Originally it was a game about building gigantic deathmobiles that would make Mad Max blush and chugging mutagen until you turned into a cow with wings and tentacles.

Now you have to watch your vitamin intake because you can under AND overdose. Also you can’t make end game armor because you don’t know how to apply zippers to Kevlar yet.

MayCauseDrowsiness
Jun 13, 2011
I'm enjoying Gooncrawl, but then I find this:

Was this a mistake? The AC boost from +4 to +8 makes it much more useful, but Regen+++ feels like cheating. And it has RMsl on top of all that.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Feels like it should be giving you Ponderous.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

MayCauseDrowsiness posted:

I'm enjoying Gooncrawl, but then I find this:

Was this a mistake? The AC boost from +4 to +8 makes it much more useful, but Regen+++ feels like cheating. And it has RMsl on top of all that.

I feel like a lot of the unrand buffs went a bit too far.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It might just be because of the rather substantial chance of a randart generating with all of jack and poo poo for good or helpful stats. It makes the unrands look way overpowered when they should really be more like the standard for how good an artifact is supposed to be.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Did the game get a lot easier? I have dipped in and out of it over the years, and jumped back in this week after watching someone on twitch.

I did a couple warmup games and now I have a two win streak? I basically played the same dude twice, but still

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A lot of us (myself included) have stopped playing Trunk and moved onto the Gooncrawl fork, so... :shrug:

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I just got a 3-win streak, so it does seem off. But then I died to an ant as a DEFE, so I decided it was probably just that I played a string of strong characters. Also buff ogres please.

I mean look at this overpowered jerk. Why on earth can I dodge while wearing crystal plate (it's because of the gloves).
code:
1800684 LeastActionHero the Slayer (level 27, 244/268 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Fighter on Dec 21, 2020.
             Was the Champion of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Dec 22, 2020!

The game lasted 04:02:31 (67913 turns).

LeastActionHero the Slayer (Minotaur Fighter)      Turns: 67913, Time: 04:02:32

Health: 244/268    AC: 52    Str: 28 (36) XL:     27
Magic:  35/35      EV: 20    Int: 14      God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   4775       SH: 20    Dex: 13 (25) Spells: 26/26 levels left

rFire    + . .     SeeInvis +   a - +8 mithril axe "Arga" {speed, MR+}
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   c - +0 shield "Xosyetai" {+Inv rF+ rCorr Int+5}
rNeg     . . .     Faith    .   S - +10 crystal plate armour
rPois    +         Spirit   .   O - scarf {cloud immunity}
rElec    .         Reflect  +   T - +5 pair of fencer's gloves {+Riposte EV+3 Dex+10}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   K - +2 pair of boots "Nuirgh" {-Cast Str+4 Dex+5 SInv}
MR       ++++.     Clarity  +   U - +5 amulet of reflection
Stlth    ..........NoCast   +   Q - ring of protection from cold
HPRegen  0.54/turn              A - ring of Vytur {rPois MR+}
MPRegen  0.24/turn

@: no status effects
A: retaliatory headbutt, hooves 1, horns 3, slimy green scales 1, clarity,
strong 1

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

A lot of us (myself included) have stopped playing Trunk and moved onto the Gooncrawl fork, so... :shrug:

I'd ask to burn the witch, but it's all flying around about me and you're not even holding a staff. :(

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Those are some drat good gloves. What is +Riposte? If that lets you riposte with that axe, those gloves go from drat good to holy gently caress good.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
They give any weapon the long blade 50% riposte, yeah.

They make long blades have a 100% chance to riposte. They're probably the best gloves in the game barring randarts with absurd resistances.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

PMush Perfect posted:

What's different about gooncrawl? I see it there on the splash screen

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Most important is that there are playable skeletons. The archeologist background is also really good, especially with gnolls IMO.

There are some things removed from Trunk, like regen, and wands of haste, and centaurs, that Gooncrawl has kept. And a bunch of other stuff.

The best QoL is probably that a bunch of spells are implemented as permanent buffs that reduce max MP, rather than needing to be recast. This is especially great for transmutations, and just nice for stuff like regen and repel/deflect missiles.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Under 15 posted:

What's different about gooncrawl? I see it there on the splash screen
To avoid being too glib and/or smug, the main Trunk devteam has started going down a path with their design philosophy that a lot of Crawl players disagree with, altering or removing mechanics that they feel get in the way of it being a speedgame roguelike. Except this isn't a fork, it's just mainline crawl, and casualties of their ruthless refining have been things that were both totally optional and very fun, such as enemies, spells, races, classes, gods, and the entire purple chunk/mutation mechanic. Gooncrawl, by contrast, is organized by our own Floodkiller, and adds in not just stuff that trunk has removed, but also other goon-designed and redesigned things.

To be more glib and smug, mainline Trunk has started pulling all these stupid meats and vegetables people keep putting in the soup because it's getting in the way of the stone.

Putting it another way: Trunk removed High Elves. Gooncrawl put back in Sludge Elves.

Edit: Gooncrawl also completely removes permanent malmutate as an effect normal enemies have, because it's Floodkiller's personal "I hate this and I'm not putting in the work of organizing a fork that has this" mechanic. Most of us agree it's a change for the better. (Most enemies that used to perma-malmutate have either temporary malmutate or just scary-strong attribute drain now instead.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 26, 2020

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Gooncrawl put back in Pakellas, the best god. Mainline Crawl took away a lot of the interesting uses for Nemelex and basically demands that you pick up Gozag these days.

edit: I won't even get started on how much they've messed around with evocables. They really don't like Artificers for some reason.

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 26, 2020

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

crawl removed all of the nuances to the food and hunger system over a series of patches. then, stripped down as it was, they decided that it was a mechanic that had no reason to exist and removed it entirely. its removal immediately revealed several very compelling reasons for it to exist, but instead of reinstating it they instead added an entirely arbitrary background timer that just kills you when it runs out and which the player has no way to interact with.

this encapsulates their entire dev philosophy: this mechanic requires too much player interaction so let's simplify it and make it require less -> this mechanic now has a low game impact so let's cut it entirely and put lazy band-aid fixes over any issues that this causes

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

My kit conspiracy is that they removed food because, well, if everyone's taking Gozag, why punish them when they have the Midas touch? It balanced them out by having to really scrounge for food; that's not so much the case these days with the Zot clock.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

crawl removed all of the nuances to the food and hunger system over a series of patches. then, stripped down as it was, they decided that it was a mechanic that had no reason to exist and removed it entirely. its removal immediately revealed several very compelling reasons for it to exist, but instead of reinstating it they instead added an entirely arbitrary background timer that just kills you when it runs out and which the player has no way to interact with.

this encapsulates their entire dev philosophy: this mechanic requires too much player interaction so let's simplify it and make it require less -> this mechanic now has a low game impact so let's cut it entirely and put lazy band-aid fixes over any issues that this causes
I'm sorry, I fell off of reading this thread for a while. They what.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm sorry, I fell off of reading this thread for a while. They what.

they removed the entire hunger system because it, supposedly, had no reason to exist

immediately after doing so the hot new strategy for guaranteed victory was to worship xom and then just wait in the Ecumenical Temple for literally a million turns until he decked you out head to toe in ultra buff randarts and pumped you up with superman mutations and then proceed to effortlessly steamroll through the entire game as an unstoppable avatar of min-max. this was both foolproof and also just the most degenerate gameplay imaginable and they decided they needed to prevent it. Rather than taking the easiest and most straightforward option where they simply reinserted the ready-made system that had existed in the game for decades to prevent exactly that scenario, they instead decided that the way to go was to just add an invisible timer that causes your character to have a brain aneurysm and instantly die if they stay on one floor for too long.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If this sounds to you like it's so stupid and it can't possibly be true and that there's no one who could have their head this far up their asses, then you'd be correct. It does sound exactly that stupid.

But it's true anyway, word for word.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
They could have had Xom get bored and start tossing demons of increasing feistiness to keep things exciting, but that would have been sensible.

Y’know, like the old floor clock. That got removed, because MuSu could farm the OoD respawns.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 26, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It's so funny to me because the hunger system was mostly useless, it mostly just existed as a balancing factor for a couple of things; notably, Mummies, Spriggans, and Gozag were all balanced around loving with the hunger system in different ways.

But apparently that subtlety was lost on the Crawl devs because they certainly didn't change anything other than taking out hunger and replacing it with worse hunger.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Victory Position posted:

Gooncrawl put back in Pakellas, the best god. Mainline Crawl took away a lot of the interesting uses for Nemelex and basically demands that you pick up Gozag these days.

edit: I won't even get started on how much they've messed around with evocables. They really don't like Artificers for some reason.

I didn't actually do that yet (been working on it this holiday).

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Floodkiller posted:

I didn't actually do that yet (been working on it this holiday).

:black101: HAIL PAKELLAS, GOD OF ARTIFICE :black101:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
So wait... they removed food, and then in a separate change after they realized how degenerate that Xom strat was, introduced the zot clock? Nobody had the foresight to at least connect those dots immediately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

from what i understand you kind of absolutely have to be going out of your way to even worry about the timer, so who cares