Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
"death cob for cutie" is just a character too long for a name change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Epsilon Plus posted:

that's a top-tier tourney team name though

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

yeah if .29 isn't full of incomprehensible changes it will definitely be my name of choice

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Epsilon Plus posted:

yeah if .29 isn't full of incomprehensible changes it will definitely be my name of choice

death cob for Khufu

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Replace Tomb with Corn Maze.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Epsilon Plus posted:

... I probably should have made this post before I got mobbed and cobbed

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?lang=en

edit: oh my god that is eleven years old

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Epsilon Plus posted:

if you want this, buy it but leave off a letter and PM me :)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Is crawl still poo poo? I stopped playing when they made traps just w random diceoll when moving which meant classes without powerful escape tools or had drawbacks that made escape difficult just automatically sucked because you were one move away from getting shafted into Norris and getting oneshot.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

Is crawl still poo poo? I stopped playing when they made traps just w random diceoll when moving which meant classes without powerful escape tools or had drawbacks that made escape difficult just automatically sucked because you were one move away from getting shafted into Norris and getting oneshot.

yes
the good news is that it finally became so poo poo that people started forking it so now you can play whichever variety of "Crawl, But Good" suits your tastes

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

if you want this, buy it but leave off a letter and PM me :)

god bless this man

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Actual DCSS post: if you're playing primarily a melee fighter, but you want to memorize a utility spell like Blink or Swiftness, is it better to just train Translocation or Air Magic or w/e, or do you also want to do Spellcasting alongside it? I've got a minotaur going with their traditionally dogshit Spellcasting aptitude, and if I can avoid putting a ton of points into it, that would be rad.

The formula for spell success involving skills is [Spellcasting / 2] + [Average(SpellSkills) * 2] which suggests that the skill(s) for the spell is definitely more important, and also that I probably want to put at least a few points into Spellcasting at some point (for if I want to get more than just one utility spell). I can also increase these skills much more quickly when I'm doing something like Lair or Orc, or even further down, which I guess raises another question: when should you start training skills like this?

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 18, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Whether it's better to train Spellcasting or the spells depends on what you're trying to cast, and how much you care about MP and (in non-trunk) spell hunger. If you plan to learn and cast a lot of spells, Spellcasting is usually better, unless they're all from one or two schools, or you have some crazy good aptitudes. Minotaurs have such a dogshit Spellcasting aptitude, though, I'm pretty sure it's almost always better to just train the spell schools you want.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I think even if you're just trying to cast some low level spells spell casting is still useful? Since it seems to be 4:1 in terms of level effectiveness, and exp per level goes up significantly per additional level of a skill, there's presumably many points at which 4 more levels of spell casting is going to take less total exp than one level of translocations or w/e.
As to when it's a good idea to do so, I guess it's mostly when you feel your core skills are good enough for the time being that adding utility is worth the investment?

Einwand fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 22, 2022

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I just rolled a super fun combo on gooncrawl DsAc of Wu Jian with monstrous mutations: antennae, claws, talons, spines, powered by pain. artifact is fencers gloves (+EV +riposte +dex), and I have a necklace of acrobatics. At CL13 I have 45ev when not attacking, and wu-jian + riposte just lets me walk around groups of monsters, spinning, riposte-ing, and having them impaled on my spines. Confusing touch for tough enemies. Will be a little bit of a bummer when claws3 drops the gloves off of me, but the attack power will be nice. I'm basically like a spinning executioner demon.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

If there are two skills that I want for what I'm doing, I just train the cheaper one first which is thankfully visible in the M screen these days.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Had some fun winning wirh djinn again. This time I realized the joy of Tentacle Monsters beating up Orbs of Fire. Also had the disgusting combo of Ozo freeze and ignition to absolutely delete crowds.

And then next game dcss lag told me to go gently caress myself and kill my character.

Oh well at least there's offline.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Annointed posted:

Had some fun winning wirh djinn again. This time I realized the joy of Tentacle Monsters beating up Orbs of Fire. Also had the disgusting combo of Ozo freeze and ignition to absolutely delete crowds.

And then next game dcss lag told me to go gently caress myself and kill my character.

Oh well at least there's offline.

How do you play in the early game as djinn? What order do you level skills? What god do your worship? I'm not really sure how they interact with the magic system at all other than "they use HP instead of mana to cast spells." Usually I go through LearnDB but it is sorely lacking on djinn info.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

WITCHCRAFT posted:

How do you play in the early game as djinn? What order do you level skills? What god do your worship? I'm not really sure how they interact with the magic system at all other than "they use HP instead of mana to cast spells." Usually I go through LearnDB but it is sorely lacking on djinn info.

I play Fire Elementalist to spam Scorch to solo most monsters and run away when health low. I Worship Ashenzari because due to only using spellcasting, you have a much smaller pool or Curse Gifts to get and therefore more likely to get Self to boost health for a bigger pool of hp to tank hits and spam magic, and spell casting to get even more magic. Also Djinn gain spells every odd level up to level 27 with a guaranteed level 9 spell.

I level spellcasting, fighting and stealth to get castable spells. I use every single spell to get out of a jam. And thanks to Djinn's innated rF++ you can even tank your own Inner flame hexes when hexing an enemy for even more damage.
http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Djinni
http://crawl.chaosforge.org/List_of_spells_by_level

EDIT: Is there a way to keep Fedhas from trying to murder me? the mushroom bomb tower has a tendency of attacking and ignoring friendly fire.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 1, 2022

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
I'm picking up the game again after a while and playing Trunk, and I got a wild character to start off with, a HOMo who found within the first couple floors of the game an unenchanted Crystal Plate Armor, and this

quote:

+10 hunting sling of Eciqokh {flame, *Slow rF+++ rCorr SInv}

I decided to switch to start training slings because wow that's an excellent randart, but happened to notice when trying to figure out what god to take in Temple that apparently heavy armor and slings conflict with each other? I'm eating an extra turn on every attack with it.

Not sure what direction to take the character then. Are slings a trap and should I just stick to pumping my strength and going Makhleb or Beogh or something in heavy armor, or is this worth going with?

https://pastebin.com/SXyF7CWg

Pastebin for the character, just arrived in Temple and decided that this is where I need to figure out what to make this character into. I could really go in any direction.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I don’t have the numbers, but Crystal Plate Armour is way too heavy for your current skill in armours. It’s probably made worse by your strength, but I’m phoneposting and I forgot it already. You can try to wear CPA in less than 10 levels, especially if you focus on being a heavy armour guy - just not yet.

The sling is great, and really cool, and probably near-worthless in a few levels. Once your generic scary enemies list starts phasing out Ogres and starts including anything with AC, the sling will not do enough, even at +10. You’re fine to train it, just be aware that there’s a real cost to your skills and you run the risk of spreading yourself too thin. One of the big advantages of non-spellcasters is how consistent and strong you are when doing what you’ve trained for. Taking skill xp away from your primary weapon reduces accuracy and damage you deal AND increases the attack delat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I agree with Chakan about the Hunting Sling being great for now but not a good long-term investment, both because a +10 Hunting Sling is a midgame weapon at best, and more importantly because that *Slow will get you killed sooner or later, once fights start dragging out. If you really, really wanna go Slings, worship Okawaru so you'll get ammo and, eventually, a good fustibalus, plus the usual benefits of weapon/armor gifts and some of the most straight-forwardly useful god abilities. Alternatively, since you're an orc, you could worship Beogh and sit in the back row firing away while your followers wade into combat for you, slowly drifting from Slings towards using your excellent Invocations aptitude.

And in either case, I'd switch to a lighter armor until you get your Armor up more, but if you don't have access to anything worthwhile, it's probably fine. Just don't stop training Armor for a while, and prioritize that over Shields once you hit 4 for your buckler.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 1, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Have slings changed much over the years? I had a HaHu ages ago who 15-rune'd using slings and eventually a long sword. Cleared Hellion Island with the sling, it held its own throughout extended.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Hunting slings are the worse ones. I don't know how it was changed in the Great Ammo Deletion, but they used to have a base damage slightly worse than a mace. If it was a fustibalus it would have longer legs, but it would still struggle on high AC or HP targets.

The advantage of hunting slings is that they're an easy-to-use swap.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Prism posted:

Hunting slings are the worse ones. I don't know how it was changed in the Great Ammo Deletion, but they used to have a base damage slightly worse than a mace. If it was a fustibalus it would have longer legs, but it would still struggle on high AC or HP targets.

The advantage of hunting slings is that they're an easy-to-use swap.

It looks like, in absence of sling bullets, they instead just bumped up the base damage of all slings by 2.

Seems like they're going for Slings to basically be the ranged weapon you can use a shield with, as they have the best 1-hander, but all the 2-hander launchers are way stronger.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Chakan posted:

I don’t have the numbers, but Crystal Plate Armour is way too heavy for your current skill in armours. It’s probably made worse by your strength, but I’m phoneposting and I forgot it already. You can try to wear CPA in less than 10 levels, especially if you focus on being a heavy armour guy - just not yet.

Looked into it because I can never remember the to-hit penalties from heavy armour and CPA has 23 encumbrance, the max in the game. It gives an 8-point malus to to-hit at your current situation, so the sling is offsetting it enough that you're probably not feeling it now but if you swap to something more normal for your level, like a +2 melee weapon, you're gonna be hitting air pretty frequently.

Arzaac posted:

Seems like they're going for Slings to basically be the ranged weapon you can use a shield with, as they have the best 1-hander, but all the 2-hander launchers are way stronger.

Two-handed ranged is so fun once you have it set up, but I've splat so many centaurs on d6 thinking I would be fine because of how strong they are.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Also, now that I'm digging into Crawl updates, it looks like they did give Long Blades a unique effect, after riposte's removal: unlike most melee weapons, their damage now scales with dex instead of strength.

It's a bit boring maybe, but honestly I'm just glad they did find a way to differentiate Long Blades.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Ended up leaving the hunting sling behind, while going slings sounded fun I really want to start building up a better win-rate first.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Jerker/morgue-Jerker-20220501-191331.txt

quote:

Jerker the Champion of Chaos (Hill Orc Monk) Turns: 67201, Time: 04:13:13

HP: 155/262 (273) AC: 45 Str: 24 XL: 27
MP: 40/40 EV: 13 Int: 10 God: Makhleb [******]
Gold: 7611 SH: 0 Dex: 16 Spells: 26/26 levels left

rFire + + . SeeInvis . S - +6 executioner's axe (vamp)
rCold + + . Faith + (shield currently unavailable)
rNeg . . . Spirit . h - +8 crystal plate armour
rPois + Reflect . V - +1 hat {Will+}
rElec . Harm + G - +4 dragonskin cloak
rCorr . Rampage + v - +1 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
Will ++++. W - +1 pair of boots {rampage}
Stlth .......... k - amulet "Xawiw" {Faith Harm rC++ Regen+ Dex-4}
HPRegen 1.33/turn n - ring of protection from fire
MPRegen 0.27/turn t - ring of protection from fire

@: lightly drained
A: deformed body, strong-willed 1, passive freeze, poison resistance
0: Orb of Zot
}: 4/15 runes: barnacled, slimy, silver, gossamer
a: Renounce Religion, Minor Destruction, Lesser Servant of Makhleb, Major
Destruction, Greater Servant of Makhleb

very solid win, had some decent artefact rings but those rings were my only source or rF+ besides that old sling so I was using them in Zot. Nearly died to a shaft into Sojobo and Mara in Vaults, and to a pair of Orbs of Fire in Zot 5.

Couldn't believe my luck just waltzing into a vamp Exec axe. That + Makhleb heals made it very hard not to just glaze my eyes over and tab through everything from then on.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

girl dick energy posted:

I agree with Chakan about the Hunting Sling being great for now but not a good long-term investment, both because a +10 Hunting Sling is a midgame weapon at best, and more importantly because that *Slow will get you killed sooner or later, once fights start dragging out. If you really, really wanna go Slings, worship Okawaru so you'll get ammo and, eventually, a good fustibalus, plus the usual benefits of weapon/armor gifts and some of the most straight-forwardly useful god abilities. Alternatively, since you're an orc, you could worship Beogh and sit in the back row firing away while your followers wade into combat for you, slowly drifting from Slings towards using your excellent Invocations aptitude.

And in either case, I'd switch to a lighter armor until you get your Armor up more, but if you don't have access to anything worthwhile, it's probably fine. Just don't stop training Armor for a while, and prioritize that over Shields once you hit 4 for your buckler.

Worth mentioning that they were playing on trunk, so some of this is outdated:

-Ammo is no longer a thing, so going Oka for returning ammo isn't necessary anymore.
-Shield breakpoints are no longer a thing. Shield penalties now scale always the way up until they're removed at skill level 27, regardless of what kind of shield it is.
-Ranged/long sword damage now scales with DEX, so it's almost always worth pumping DEX and wearing light armor. Heavy armor causes massive penalties to ranged attack speed, and while it can be counteracted with significant STR/armor skill, it's rarely worth the exp investment to do so.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

dolphinbomb posted:

-Ammo is no longer a thing, so going Oka for returning ammo isn't necessary anymore.
-Shield breakpoints are no longer a thing. Shield penalties now scale always the way up until they're removed at skill level 27, regardless of what kind of shield it is.
-Ranged/long sword damage now scales with DEX, so it's almost always worth pumping DEX and wearing light armor. Heavy armor causes massive penalties to ranged attack speed, and while it can be counteracted with significant STR/armor skill, it's rarely worth the exp investment to do so.
Whoops! Think I've been playing Gooncrawl too long.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

dolphinbomb posted:

How does DEX vs STR compare in melee builds like that? Haven't done a melee dude in a very long time.

Sounds like if you are going hybrid ranged/melee your melee weapon should be Long Blades category. Is this true? What race/class combos does this make better in the current patch?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

An all in on dex demigod might be interesting now. If I recall, they got rid of the EV step down functions, so you should be able to get really high EV with good offense. I don’t know how that will compare to strength and heavy armor.

One of my favorite crawl characters is DE archer/caster hybrids and this should be great for them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The easiest apples-to-apples comparison is to roll a Minataur with a dex-based background (gladiator?) and crank dex on him, and see how how you personally feel he fares compared to the Str variant. I remember trying it before and giggling at all the horn counterattacks, so if that's still in it's probably the strongest option if you want to roll such a character.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

From a while back, but congrats! That first win always feels really good, especially after a decade of attempts. :D I had a similar experience last year which I recorded earlier in the thread.

Well done!

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

Best randart I've ever seen. I'm almost considering taking my TrBe to polearms for this bad boy.

I know it's the wrong decision but jeez that's good.

EDIT: Stepped down stairs was completely surrounded by Azrael, 3 hell hounds, and four fire elementals. Died. :rip:

Dee Ehm fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 3, 2022

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Dee Ehm posted:

EDIT: Stepped down stairs was completely surrounded by Azrael, 3 hell hounds, and four fire elementals. Died. :rip:

Seems like you should have used the glaive

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I just lost a really nice demigod that had effortlessly tabbed through v:5 to a nasty ambush on zot: 1. Hubris strikes again. Berserk dragons, draconians and an orb of fire would probably have been fine, but a zot trap summoned a tormentor and I got pushed off the stairs by a dragon.

At any rate, a pure dex, light armor character, at least with demigod stats, seems pretty decent now. All the dex was adding tons of damage, and 60+ EV is a really solid defense (not that it protected against torment). Light armor made it easy to pick up passage of golubria and manifold assault as well, which were very powerful. I think I’m going to try another, this time with IE as background since I never got ozo’s armor, and probably go for 1h + shield as well.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Are there updated guides on how to 15 Rune the Reworked Abyss and Hell Runes? I am struggling to find a reliable method to make extended Hell less painful.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I haven’t done hells in ages and I probably never will unless I get a character I really love. 3-4 runes is enough and more than that drags on a little long.

I can say I don’t think strategy in the abyss has changed all that much because I just got the abyssal rune last night. Run away from everything you can. Stealth is very useful. If you have a tough bruiser or a stabbed, it’s easier than V: 5 as your 3rd rune. If you’re a blaster, it can be considerably harder because lots of noise plus limited MP makes it easy to draw more enemies than you can handle. I guess wretched stars are a much higher priority target now, since you can’t clear the mutations until you pick up the rune, but otherwise there’s nothing new, really, you are just more encouraged to play it optimally and spend the least possible number of turns there.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

So I've reached the midgame (fully cleared Lair and Orc, mostly cleared Dungeon) as a DeNe of Kiku and I've never gotten to this point as a stabber hybrid before, need some advice on my next plays:

Here's my character as of now:

And this is potential spells:

So, I still haven't picked a Kiku gift. With that +9 flaming dagger I'm leaning towards the necronomicon, because I think my weapon is good enough to carry me for a while. I'm not sure where to focus my skills next at all, hexes for Invisibility seems like it has good synergy but I'm pretty sure enemies all start having sInv at this point. I guess I could keep pumping Necro if I go book as well. Those are my only thoughts, any and all advice on skills, spells, next branch (elf v shoals v snake), would be appreciated.

As a side note the Demonic Magic mutation is loving sick and has been carrying my rear end.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If this is gooncrawl (I see MR on the stat page instead of Will so I'm assuming it is) keep your eyes peeled for spell books with Bjorngor's Vile Clutch and Infestation. Those spells are ridiculous and will carry you to a basic 3 rune win by themselves.

Definitely grab the book from Kiku, pain is a pretty lackluster brand to begin with, and especially at the point you get it from Kiku max piety.