Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Araganzar posted:

What sorcery is this, it's a trick, get an axe!

But then where would I get 40 SH from? >=(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

someone awful. posted:

looks like PleasingFungus just changed shields to being "kite shields" and large shields to being "pavises"
Didn't PF quit the Crawl devteam like two versions ago?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Also, remember that this is the endgame. You don't need to explore everywhere (and you really shouldn't), and you don't need to kill everything (though you'll likely have to kill everything in your path still).

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Didn't PF quit the Crawl devteam like two versions ago?

Looks like he's back? Here's the commit anyway

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Also, remember that this is the endgame. You don't need to explore everywhere (and you really shouldn't), and you don't need to kill everything (though you'll likely have to kill everything in your path still).

I got scared of zot so I went and got two more runes on accident, I think I'm just gonna go for it now~

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Kaedric posted:

I got scared of zot so I went and got two more runes on accident, I think I'm just gonna go for it now~

PS I died

EDIT: More context: I teleported in zot5 and got surrounded + 3 orbs of fire, read a teleport scroll (once my berserkitis wore off, thanks abyss), then just chugged healy pots to survive, thought to myself 'hey, ambrosia might be fine just to give me some decent HP before the tele goes off!', quaff it, suddenly remember I worship chei, can't use any abilities because I'm confused -> die

Kaedric fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 11, 2020

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Kaedric posted:

PS I died

EDIT: More context: I teleported in zot5 and got surrounded + 3 orbs of fire, read a teleport scroll (once my berserkitis wore off, thanks abyss), then just chugged healy pots to survive, thought to myself 'hey, ambrosia might be fine just to give me some decent HP before the tele goes off!', quaff it, suddenly remember I worship chei, can't use any abilities because I'm confused -> die

At the point you have 3 OOF around it's probably 100% best to either step from time or teleport then step from time based on how close you are to stepping from time permanently.

I figured out the issue with Jiyva - I ran a MiAc, took Jiyva when I found her, and my last eight mutations were all Lost Mutations. I tagged them and they were all attempts to gain a RANDOM_MUTATION.

Jiyva gifts are supposed to ignore the mutation resistance that tries to keep you at around 15 or so mutations, but when you tell it you want to "gain" a random mutation apparently it can still lose a mutation if it things you have too many.

I kind of take exception to the comment vs the code here:
code:
    if (mutclass == MUTCLASS_NORMAL
        && (which_mutation == RANDOM_MUTATION
            || which_mutation == RANDOM_XOM_MUTATION)
        && x_chance_in_y(you.how_mutated(false, true), 15))
    {
        // God gifts override mutation loss due to being heavily
        // mutated.
        if (!one_chance_in(3) && !god_gift && !force_mutation)
            return false;
        else
            return delete_mutation(RANDOM_MUTATION, reason, failMsg,
                                   force_mutation, false);
    }
That doesn't seem to be doing that. We pass true for god gift and false for force mutation. For it to return false (and thus NOT delete the mutation) all three conditions would have to be true. Even if we passed true to force mutation, which I wouldn't do because god gift means something slightly different, you still would have a 1/3 chance of deleting the mutation.

Also being inside the first if statement if this triggers it won't add a new mutation even if we have forced them. So once you have 15 mutations you won't get a forced mutation, which seems backwards.

So my suggestion is this:
code:
    // total muts / 15 = chance to remove a mutation instead of add
    // Don't do this 1 time in 3 or if a forced mutation
    if (mutclass == MUTCLASS_NORMAL
        && (which_mutation == RANDOM_MUTATION
            || which_mutation == RANDOM_XOM_MUTATION)
        && x_chance_in_y(you.how_mutated(false, true), 15)
        && !one_chance_in(3) && !force_mutation)
    {
        // If a god gift, we won't cause mutation loss, but we 
        // also won't add a new random mutation
        if (god_gift || you.how_mutated(false, true) > 30)
            return false;
        else
            return delete_mutation(RANDOM_MUTATION, reason, failMsg,
                                   force_mutation, false);
    }
I kept the god gift check inside the heavily mutated check so that we would simply stop awarding random mutations once the player has 15 total, and if they have 30 or more it will go ahead and delete one. The one time in 3 should probably be there too but what the heck, we're the eat the purple people.

However, this will not stop adding random GOOD mutations or random SLIME mutations. My feeling is this is going to be moving the needle way to far in the other direction but I'm going to test it out without the 30 mutation brake first and see just what happens.

We probably need to decide on a hard or soft cap for mutations and how stable we want your list to be. My feeling is with Jiyva you should be always changing and evolving which means not locking in mutations and allowing for a method for mutations to return to the silent mutation sea from which they crept.

I recognize some of you will say set the cap at A MILLION BILLION MUTATIONS so go ahead and get it out of your system now or play on goondev once I have Infinite Mutation Mode enabled.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

a million billion mutations is acceptable recompense for all the loot we'll be losing

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also, another Zot thing, if a bit late. In Zot 5, tele extremely aggressively, even moreso than usual. Because of how the floor is laid out you have a >50% chance of ending up right back in the lungs, and if you're desperately trying to tele at 20% health, you probably won't survive to read a second or third one.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 11, 2020

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Kaedric posted:

PS I died

Zerkitis is one of the Unacceptably Bad™ mutations, up there with Teleportitis, Shoutitis and maaaaybe blurry vision. But the first two for sure are so godawful that once you get them it's time to chug mutation potions until they're gone because they are game enders. Unless you're a total caster but even then I would still not want to be left without reliable melee options for dealing with guys one on one to conserve mana.

EDIT: forgot how deadly shoutitis can be at times

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 11, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shoutitis is about on the same level as blurry vision. Not great, but you have to keep in mind that you have it and you'll probably be okay if you adjust your play for it.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I would be mildly sad if Shoutitis went away, if only because I believe I've had two separate runs that paired it with Qazlal and Shield of the Gong. Very thematic.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Blurry vision is now just longer read time for scrolls, right? Used to be % chance of total failure, which was the most rub-your-nose-in-it way of dying to the RNG ever, trying to read the same scroll for the sixth time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Serephina posted:

Blurry vision is now just longer read time for scrolls, right? Used to be % chance of total failure, which was the most rub-your-nose-in-it way of dying to the RNG ever, trying to read the same scroll for the sixth time.
Yeah, it used to be, which is part of what made me hate mutations so much. I actually didn't notice they changed it, I've been avoiding it so religiously. Running around with Blurry Vision used to be essentially a time-delayed suicide - sooner or later, the read failure was going to kill you.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's still extremely dangerous that everything around you gets a free hit when you read.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
At least it's predictably dangerous, though, instead of catching you unawares at the worst possible moment every time.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

FulsomFrank posted:

Zerkitis is one of the Unacceptably Bad™ mutations, up there with Teleportitis and maaaaybe blurry vision. But the first two for sure are so godawful that once you get them it's time to chug mutation potions until they're gone because they are game enders. Unless you're a total caster but even then I would still not want to be left without reliable melee options for dealing with guys one on one to conserve mana.

I had all three of those things.

EDIT: Is the solution to farm abyss until you find enough mut pots? Abyss is what gave me all three of those bad mutations :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The better solution is to play Gooncrawl and just eat the purpz until all your bad mutations are replaced with different bad mutations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kaedric posted:

I had all three of those things.

EDIT: Is the solution to farm abyss until you find enough mut pots? Abyss is what gave me all three of those bad mutations :(

If you are playing non-gooncrawl (which removed malmutate for some reason) then the solution is to memorise all the types of enemies that can mutate you and as soon as they come into sight you consider your options to limit your being in line of sight with them. The most common ones, like Neqoxecs and Shining Eyes are very squishy and they can't mutate you unless they have a direct line of fire. Ranged means of killing them like throwing weapons are good, but if you don't have any of that then use walls or other enemies to block their LoS and lure them in closer.

As a Cheibro, you can use Temporal Distortion which effectively removes you from existence for a few turns and makes them move a bit closer to you, which is an effective way to close the distance without having to walk towards them at half speed.

For Orbs of Fire, all bets are off. They're really tough and take a while to kill, which is one of the reasons that a lot of people save Zot for last because it has a fairly strong chance of just ruining your character.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Berserk level 1 only activates on 1/100 hits and only has a 3% chance for you to pass out after (vs 10% regularly). It's pretty rare to be endangered by that and I never even notice shoutitis.

I would say the deadly ones are in order of danger: teleportitis, blurry vision, berserk level 3, reduced healing, and frail. Actually the worst mutation is mutation resistance as it slows down mutating...

With the new Jiyva so far bad mutations usually go away on the same floor you get them and none of my test characters post turn 20k had any bad mutations.

Temporal Distortion is also very good for an OOF spotting. 3-5 turns where they can't attack and have to move and generally move towards you. 1-2 OOF in melee with 6* Chei and +15 points of protection from stat drain in all three stats is not usually an issue and if the situation is rougher step from time will probably make it manageable unless you teleported into a top lung with nothing cleared.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

He got teleported straight to the orb lmao

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Araganzar posted:

Berserk level 1 only activates on 1/100 hits and only has a 3% chance for you to pass out after (vs 10% regularly). It's pretty rare to be endangered by that and I never even notice shoutitis.

shoutitis is bad in certain areas and harmless in others

berserkitis isn't even dangerous because of the passing out(although that's pretty bad), it's dangerous because it turns off all your scrolls, potions, and spells so your options immediately become limited to "punch it to death" or "run away", and if you can't do either of those things then you just die

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah there's little lasting value in allowing entropy to take its course in a packed house.

cock hero flux posted:

shoutitis is bad in certain areas and harmless in others

shoutitis has a lot in common with your opinion on berserkitis

cock hero flux posted:

berserkitis isn't even dangerous because of the passing out(although that's pretty bad), it's dangerous because it turns off all your scrolls, potions, and spells so your options immediately become limited to "punch it to death" or "run away", and if you can't do either of those things then you just die

Yes but it will only ever trigger if you're melee and if you ARE melee might, 50% attack/movement haste, and 50% more hit points generally make both of those very viable options. It's bad, I try to get rid of it can in no way compare to teleportitis or blurry vision or frailty, although my experience with blurry vision is from before the duration was halved and may be out of line.

Now berserk 2 is dangerous and berserk 3 is just asking for a spat. I would rather have teleportitis and slow scrolls than berserk 3. You'll get 300+ activations in a 3-5 rune game and 10% of them will try very hard to kill you.

edit: vvvv yeah okay berserkitis is quite a bit more dangerous than say slow scrolls with those builds....

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 12, 2020

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Araganzar posted:

Yeah there's little lasting value in allowing entropy to take its course in a packed house.

shoutitis has a lot in common with your opinion on berserkitis

Yes but it will only ever trigger if you're melee and if you ARE melee might, 50% attack/movement haste, and 50% more hit points generally make both of those very viable options. It's bad, I try to get rid of it can in no way compare to teleportitis or blurry vision or frailty, although my experience with blurry vision is from before the duration was halved and may be out of line.

Now berserk 2 is dangerous and berserk 3 is just asking for a spat. I would rather have teleportitis and slow scrolls than berserk 3. You'll get 300+ activations in a 3-5 rune game and 10% of them will try very hard to kill you.

teleportitis is probably the worst one in the entire game, honestly, every time I get it it seems to wait until I win a fight on very low health and then immediately dump me centre stage of the dungeon-wide Smiters Convention

I probably have a less charitable view toward berserkitis because I play hybrid characters a lot, and also melee things as a caster a lot

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Araganzar posted:

I would say the deadly ones are in order of danger: teleportitis, blurry vision, berserk level 3, reduced healing, and frail. Actually the worst mutation is mutation resistance as it slows down mutating...

With the new Jiyva so far bad mutations usually go away on the same floor you get them and none of my test characters post turn 20k had any bad mutations.

Temporal Distortion is also very good for an OOF spotting. 3-5 turns where they can't attack and have to move and generally move towards you. 1-2 OOF in melee with 6* Chei and +15 points of protection from stat drain in all three stats is not usually an issue and if the situation is rougher step from time will probably make it manageable unless you teleported into a top lung with nothing cleared.

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/presbutan/morgue-presbutan-20200211-013340.txt

lol looks like it was berserk 3 I had :( (I thought I had teleportitis but I guess not)

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

SirSamVimes posted:

Lol yep, though I didn't have much choice, the only way in to the orb was blocked by perma tele traps :(

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

This is what I get when I'm not paying attention in D:4:

The kobold hits you with the +10 short sword of Midnight {distort, rF++ Str-5 Dex+3}!
You die...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kaedric posted:

This is what I get when I'm not paying attention in D:4:

The kobold hits you with the +10 short sword of Midnight {distort, rF++ Str-5 Dex+3}!
You die...

So the question is, if you'd lived, would you have put that on and enjoyed carving through the dungeon up until you got to Lair? Because you'd then have to replace it, get inevitably Abyssed, and die instantly.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Arivia posted:

So the question is, if you'd lived, would you have put that on and enjoyed carving through the dungeon up until you got to Lair? Because you'd then have to replace it, get inevitably Abyssed, and die instantly.

I was a kitty cat, so sadly: no.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Every time I load my save with a Formicid wearing the Crown of Dyrovepreva it falls off, forcing me to re-equip it. My file is also crashing on load more often than not, which could easily be related?

Einwand fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 12, 2020

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Had to push some changes from mainline just now to fix a security vulnerability in the Lua libraries, please let me know if anything starts crashing on WebTiles because I kind of just had to import everything up to that point to smash the fix in and I'm tired as gently caress so I didn't look at poo poo past compile errors.

If you have an offline copy, don't worry unless you plan on letting people remote into your PC to play Dungeon Crawl or adding some custom Lua scripts from unknown sources.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 14, 2020

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

I played a lot of crawl maybe 8 years ago, but I more or less stopped playing and just looked in on things now and then to see what was new with the game. I decided to give GoonCrawl a go, and I had a lot of fun with it! The game is still very recognizable, but much improved and streamlined over the years. After splatting a few Faerie Dragons remembering how to play, a miracle occurred:

code:
28186159 greatzebu the Annihilator (level 27, 217/217 HPs)
             Began as a Faerie Dragon Conjurer on Feb 13, 2020.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Feb 15, 2020!

The game lasted 16:11:32 (53061 turns).

greatzebu the Annihilator (Faerie Dragon Conjurer) Turns: 53061, Time: 16:11:32

Health: 217/217    AC: 20    Str: 16    XL:     27
Magic:  45/45      EV: 43    Int: 34    God:    Vehumet [******]
Gold:   7661       SH:  6    Dex: 15    Spells: 3/78 levels left

rFire    + . .     SeeInvis +   a - staff of energy {!a}
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   (shield currently unavailable)
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   k - +1 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rPois rF+ rC+ rN+ MR+ rMut rCorr}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   l - +2 cloak of the Wasteland {+Inv rCorr Int+2 Stlth+}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   X - +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Slay+6}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   V - +2 pair of boots "Letoedghe" {SInv}
rMut     +                      J - amulet "Hiumaech" {RegenMP Int+2}
MR       ++++.                  b - ring of Phasing {EV+12}
Stlth    ++........             u - ring "Foefaatz" {Wiz *Contam rN++ Str+6}
HPRegen  1.46/turn
MPRegen  0.54/turn

@: flying, regenerating, deflect missiles
A: small, unfitting armour, antennae 1, yellow scales 1, camouflage 1, blink,
blurry vision 1, magic resistance 1, poison resistance, shaggy fur 1, strong 2,
wild magic 1, evolution 1, MP-powered wands, magic attunement, magical scales,
able to fly
0: Orb of Zot
}: 15/15 runes: decaying, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian, icy, bone,
abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark, gossamer
a: Stop Flying, Release Permanent Buffs, Blink, Renounce Religion, Evoke
Invisibility

You escaped.
You worshipped Vehumet.
Vehumet was exalted by your worship.
You were hungry.

You have taken the pledge of Madness.
Good for the second-highest score on CEO, but still almost 8k turns slower than Einwand's absurd first-place GnNe.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Floodkiller posted:

I've been trying for a week and I still can't get this to reproduce. If you or anyone else encounters this for Spiteful or Justice (the two I think this would be a problem with, but in different spots if it were occurring), please record exactly what you did to potentially cause it so I can troubleshoot further.

I reproduced the problem. In a single session on eatthepurple, fork: gooncrawl
Started a spiteful hermit crab IE
got to 6* piety with Ru ('understanding is complete', amulet of faith does nothing)
found the orcish mines
Went back to to Temple
Prayed at vehumet, joining vehumet at the same time as abandoning Ru
Then I didn't get the 'pledge is complete' message
And then I couldn't enter the mines.

In comparison, in a different game where I did abandon Ru as a separate action (a-X), everything worked normally.
Is there any easier way to test this than actually playing the game?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Dilb posted:

I reproduced the problem. In a single session on eatthepurple, fork: gooncrawl
Started a spiteful hermit crab IE
got to 6* piety with Ru ('understanding is complete', amulet of faith does nothing)
found the orcish mines
Went back to to Temple
Prayed at vehumet, joining vehumet at the same time as abandoning Ru
Then I didn't get the 'pledge is complete' message
And then I couldn't enter the mines.

In comparison, in a different game where I did abandon Ru as a separate action (a-X), everything worked normally.
Is there any easier way to test this than actually playing the game?

Fixed by forcing you to manually abandon Ru first before joining a new god. Turns out, you could have just joined a new god whenever you wanted anyway because I was forgetting to stop that, but your pledge would be left undone until you rejoined Ru and got to max piety and abandoned anyway.

Normally, for testing stuff like this, you want to run a local copy instead and turn on Wizard Mode (the & key) so that you can just cheat all the values you need to test.

Edit: I finally updated the changelog. Let me know if I missed anything or got anything wrong, I'm sure I did.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 17, 2020

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Not sure if this is a bug or what, but I started a new game as an Octopode Transmuter and I couldn't cast Beastly Appendage. In regular crawl (at least last time I played), Octopodes got a spiked tentacle with that spell.

Also, my Felid "punches" enemies instead of clawing them. Not sure if Claws isn't working or not.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

FR: Put potions of beneficial mutation back into Cigotuvi's Fleshworks, maybe cure mutation too.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Not sure if this is a bug or what, but I started a new game as an Octopode Transmuter and I couldn't cast Beastly Appendage. In regular crawl (at least last time I played), Octopodes got a spiked tentacle with that spell.

Also, my Felid "punches" enemies instead of clawing them. Not sure if Claws isn't working or not.

This should fix the Octopode thing, it was another Abomination related bug.

Will look into the Felid thing if I get time, but flavor text is less important on my radar to fix than an actual game issue like the Octopode thing.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Thanks! I think the Felid thing just occurs when attacking sleeping enemies (You pounce on the helpless X! You punch the X). I can just turn on crablang or buttlang.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Thanks! I think the Felid thing just occurs when attacking sleeping enemies (You pounce on the helpless X! You punch the X). I can just turn on crablang or buttlang.

The Felid thing (and anyone else that uses Claws) was broken since Fists of Thunder were added. By broken, I just mean the fight verbs, the actual claw damage was still in so that's probably why nobody noticed until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

The Felid thing (and anyone else that uses Claws) was broken since Fists of Thunder were added. By broken, I just mean the fight verbs, the actual claw damage was still in so that's probably why nobody noticed until now.

Double posting, but actually I was wrong and oh my god I'm so sorry: nobody has had claw damage since Fists of Thunder were merged in 2018. Whoops, heh heh heh...:suicide: