Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Is there a list anywhere of which spells became permabuffs?

Relatedly, does anyone have any tips on how to get into necromancy? I've tried a couple times but I'm never sure how hybridized I'm supposed to be, which gods synergize, etc. The most obvious candidates actually seem kinda at odds with using necromancy yourself.

Absolutely loving all the new features in gooncrawl, they've revitalized my attention in the game that had been flagging since 0.19 or so. DsAr is an absolute blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

FDCj is I think the easiest start I've ever had in this video game?? Battlesphere with free magic darts is completely nutty, and fulminant prism remains an unbelievably strong spell

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I had the greatest hubris and went to abyss:12 to get the rune on my FoFi the other day after getting banished there in the middle of Vaults:5 :shepface: Didn't actually die there though! Died to my own hubris LATER, in a Zig.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Undead have major advantages in tomb and pan over non-undead and demonspawn are an insanely powerful race for extended in the game as is, they could use a little more difficulty (and TSO/Zin could stand to be a little less overpoweringly good for extended.)

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

This VSAc is going...very well. Started off with the shillelagh from the box, which is a lovely usable earlygame weapon, and then found this on like D:4

quote:

You finish putting on the +3 pair of gloves of Demons {*Contam Str+8}.
So I had a pretty decent time! Worshipped Qaz to synergize with the extremely loud shillelagh lifestyle...

...and then found Firestarter on D:13. :getin: That, together with the hat of the alchemist I got from a shop, means I'm basically just a horrifying walking explosions platform. The only difficulty is remembering to swap to shillelagh against rF enemies.

e: Tell me how not to gently caress up this character, this is too blessed for me to just bumble around with.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 16, 2019

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

This character feels...strong.

e: And right as I say that I almost die to Mara, lol. Mara is scary y'all!!

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 16, 2019

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Whoever said to use Devastator with WJC thank you, I am the greatest flying wuxia octopus and I just oneshot a hydra in lair with a wall jump

e: Help, I have no idea how to Op. I've been getting by on WJC actions being absurd with devastator, but every combat is terrifying and I'm not sure what to aim for. Grab book of dreams and work toward time stop as a win condition?

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 20, 2019

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Playing this octopode is terrifying because I do an immense amount of damage but have zero survivability because I have picked up exclusively dogshit rings like "AC+1" or "dex+3" and I already have a rune

e: I think SKULL.GIF was a trunk dev too but his brain got broken by USpol

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Turns out without the exp penalty, summoners rule. Got a FDSu running (haven't played summoner at all in years since I 15-runed a MuSu aaaaages ago) and summoner's traditionally awful first couple floors was largely circumvented by infinite spammals, and those + the dog got me to the point where I could lean on ice beasts and lightning spires.

Have I mentioned that lightning spire is an absurd spell? It's absurd. I pretty much summoned a single lightning spire and nothing else for ~half of my fights in lair.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Teal posted:

Everyone seems to agree Archeologist loving owns so shouldn't this serve as indication maybe it should be considered that you should get more means to access Weird Cool poo poo A Bit Earlier a little more commonly?

I dunno something like very bottom of Orc having some special shop with "you get to pick only one, for free", with 1 random urandart armour, 1 weapon and 1 jewelry.
This would rule. Unrands are really fun and being able to build your game around them is fun. That shop should be pretty expensive for your pick though, they're REALLY powerful and the tradeoff for getting one with archaeologist is a kind of lovely start with high int on what is likely to be a melee character.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Honestly I wouldn't shed any tears if Ac boxes could only have weapons in them. All of the spellcasting/dodging/armour boxes I've gotten have been either dogshit or fine but strictly worse than getting a weapon. Losing boots of the assassin would hurt but it would be worth it for no getting memed on with the robe of misfortune or crown of torment.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Claws 3 straight up removes the gloves slot, doesn't it? I don't know what you could do about that other than making it not do that, which would be problematic for other reasons.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Punk is absurd and nothing about it keeps you from wearing CPA and a large shield so here I am slinging away with 60+ AC

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Any thoughts on what to do with an octopode with devastator? I tried WJC with it and, as advertised, the damage was unreal, but I felt like I was having a really hard time surviving regardless. Thinking maybe gozag to fund jewelry shops?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Tollymain posted:

do whatever you can to increase your defense but i wouldnt suggest trying to switch away really
I meant on a previous octopode that also got devastator, since it seems weirdly common for me :v:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Wizlabs are the worst portals, for my money. Labyrinths are a little TOO easy, sewer is earlygame and rarely bad at all unless you get it on like d:3 and Purgy is there, Baileys are usually worth it, volcano and ice cave are just a check on whether you have the appropriate resist. Wizlabs are the one-two punch of really deadly and not actually very lucrative.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

The robe of vines is a little absurd on a vine stalker. With 5+ HP/turn you can just walk backward for a full heal for most of the game, and for the part of the game where you can't, well, that's what Time Stop, Discord, and Shadow Creatures are for.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

People better than me at Crawl, what is the way to succeed as Dj? Immunity to all fire and rN+++ seem very strong, but I'm either an okay fighter with good resists (in which case I'd rather just play a minotaur or vine stalker and just get resists from gear and be naturally stronger) or an incredibly suicidal caster. 2x spell level as EP cost makes casting usually just seem like a bad idea!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I only barely managed to figure out how to build crawl from git on mac after 45 minutes of concerted effort, so I doubt I can help on the technical side, but if there's any way I can help out with the vote or organizing changelists or anything, I'd be glad to.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I would mostly want wand of healing back if we had working Pakellas. Without him, I agree, harp is a lot more interesting.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Does gooncrawl have stabbing reforms in yet? If so, what are they? Daggers suuuuck.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I have a mostly unused server that I'd like to do something with. Would there any interest in putting Gooncrawl up on the server, or is the game pretty much dead? :(
Game is definitely not dead, Floodkiller has been adding content at a consistent pace.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Why not have player corrode take off like 1-4 (or 1-6 if it's a higher level spell) AC based on spellpower, and start off with rCorrode just on things that deal corrosion themselves and some related monsters like slimes?

My first ever win was SpVM and I would love for poison magic to have something, anything better or more interesting than venom arrow.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I just play crawl to relax, and I can't relax with a gaggle of people watching and judging my suboptimal play, especially if they're being weird and catty about it :shobon:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Faerie dragons are pizza-obsessed creatures who rely extensively on macros that read "Za." :v:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Floodkiller posted:

Added species paging in an incredibly hacky way AKA I just added space for 36 more species (12 per category) instead of doing things dynamically because I just wanted to push something and be done with it. If you fuckers add 36 more species and force me to go back and fix this the right way I will be very sad and upset.

Gonna challenge myself to get challenges working and in before the holidays are up.
This rules, thanks for your hard work.

Is there an official way to submit a feature request? If species count isn't an issue, I think it would be cool to separate monstrous and non-monstrous demonspawn.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Just spitballing here, but a difference I see in a lot of games between damage magic and ranged combat is that the ranged combat users are more mobile and focused on kiting and magic is slower. Could do something like an activated ability that 'f'ires a missile and also moves in the specified direction for reduced move cost, so you end up using like 1.5 auts on attack-move rather than 2.0, that kind of thing.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Prism is an absurd spell. I didn't realize until I started really using it just how high its power cap is, you can continue to use prism for relevant area damage for ages, especially if you have some way of effective kiting (boots of running, being a spriggan, etc).

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I don't have a lot of stake in the dev drama, but I do know people tend to bristle at an attitude of "you, the slavering illogical mob of bullies, vs me, the logical intelligent one only offering a simple dissenting opinion" because it is both self-servingly one-sided and immensely condescending.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

It's just never worth it. It's like trying to fight Mennas as a demonspawn or undead: you COULD, but what reward could possibly be worth the risk?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Regeneration was too good and I don't think anyone will really argue against that, but removing it entirely still feels bad. :( Especially when the replacement in most books is ozo armor, a really awkward spell to use.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

HP rot :shepface: Here we go.

By "too good" I meant that it's applicable in every situation. The benefit for the amount of xp required to get it castable is huge such that you generally aim to get it castable at some point on literally every character who can benefit from it. Ultimately Crawl is a single player game and doesn't need characters to be balanced relative to each other, but the trunk devs take playing for score into account--some would say too much--and regen is a spell that shows up so commonly you can't help but quirk an eyebrow at it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Stabbers really, really did not need a nerf :negative:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Necromutation and blade hands are both good endgame forms for transmuters depending on your build. Some people insit that dragon form is really good but I have never had a good experience with. You are frighteningly powerful but also really vulnerable to a lot of the extended threats. I'll always roll with statue form over it, which is supposedly "bad".

Hydra form is fun but I've never used it enough to form a solid opinion. Its at the very least good at munching through all the chaff in Pan extremely quickly, which is pretty nice.
I like dragon form on draconians, but otherwise yeah I've never been impressed with it on anyone else.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I haven't done much with Chei. Do you have to actually explore areas manually instead of just hammering O and tab? Sounds like effort imo.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

To me games like this (most games?) usually lose a lot of charm when I wiki all the mechanics (and thus spoil myself on mysterious items, learn strategies I’d never have thought up on my own but can’t un-learn) so no wiki is fine.
If you do find you want to look something up (like, for example, you've put 5 hours into a character and met a unique and don't want to find out their gimmick by dying to it), you can get one of the bots on kelbi to join your game and just do lookups through that.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

SpVM was my first ever win, way back in 0.7 or something :shobon: Just patiently kited absolutely everything and got IMB and OOD for anything with rPois.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

I ascended multiple talismancers, just because rods were that awesome. IIRC many people didn't like rods because you had to equip them for use, kinda fiddly. So rather than just let them be evoked from the inventory they were removed. Of course.

Unfortunately with recharge scrolls removed, reviving rods becomes slightly more complicated. You'd need some other way to enchant them, like perhaps with enchant weapon.
Perhaps a god...I'm brainstorming here...Parellas? Pakelli? I feel like I'm onto something :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

To bee honest I kind of miss hive. Yeah it was a "have rPois or suffer" check but so is lair and it was a fun little themed area where you could dig for some early treasure.