Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hey I decided to try getting back into this game, and I've got a problem. For some reason whenever I try to move south or southwest using the numpad, the game just tells me I don't know any spells. I've tried erasing my rc completely, and it did nothing.

edit: also how do I play gooncrawl

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

lmao how am I going to gently caress this up

I mean the answer is clearly "hubris" but what specifically is going to obliterate me? Note: I got all those muts from a pair of mutation potions I found on D1.

edit:I plan on 15 runing and have the Justice pledge, so let's be real it'll be Tomb or Cerebov.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Captainsalami posted:

You on kelbi?

Project357 but I went to sleep right after posting that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the answer was neglecting to bring rcorr to dis and getting my 50 AC corroded to 24

:smith:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm gonna splat some AbAc because getting incinerated by an orc wizard seems fun.

Does rF-- increase the damage taken more than rF-, or does it just mean that the first pip of resistance we get does nothing?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Getting two different pieces of info here, is this just something that's different in Gooncrawl and therefore the wiki not applicable?

Also, ended up being para'd to death in Spider by Norris, was a fun run though. Managed to find two Octopus King rings before the ride ended.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Zin is the funnest god to worship because you yell at things and they turn into pillars of salt.

Also he gives 2/3 of cheistats for very little piety cost and as long as you can cast Sanctuary you have no excuse for dying.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I vote we make it mandatory that the next crab we get has a racial cloud breath, to make it in keeping with Crawl Crab Lore.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

as an afficianado of dumb languages, what is crablang

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Araganzar posted:

I think you mean

Options are dwarven, jagerkin, kraut, runes, wide, grunt,butt, or crab. Butt randomly replaces nouns with "butt".

Crab language only exists from GoonCrawl. It was removed from vanilla crawl after manman lost a 43 game streak by mistaking a deep elf annihilator for a fiddler crab.

You can mix or match up to 3 of these I think? So "fake_lang=butt,crab,dwarven" will give you a dwarvish crab with a thing for butts. Or you can say "fake_lang=butt,butt,butt" and get 3x the number of butt replacements.

You forgot jaeger. :colbert:

Unless they changed the name of jaeger to kraut?

edit: I erased my entire .rc in an effort to fix the issue with my numpad on mainline crawl, is there any way to restore the default rc? (note: it didn't fix it, but for some reason gooncrawl doesn't have the issue)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oh poo poo.

If I can only have three fakelangs, how am I supposed to use jaeger, grunt, butt and crab?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Well, it turns out that a) daevas can smite while silenced b) silence can't be canceled like other buffs. Rip my ridiculous gnac, effortlessly killed the seraph then died in Zin's temple.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arivia posted:

I will confirm that yes silence does nothing against spell-like abilities in D&D 3e which is presumably what they're referencing. The question is why the gently caress would you take a set of rules that only works to frustrate people in a very complicated tabletop RPG and stick it in your roguelike as well?

Because if demons were affected by Silence it would need to be a 9th level spell.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

PMush Perfect posted:

Descriptions of abilities should be very clear about whether they're affected by silence.

It does state it clearly, I just assumed that calling upon Zin to smite me required speech and didn't bother checking.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Monsters have always been able to use any wand they find, haven't they?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I got zapped by a gnoll with an acid wand on gooncrawl a couple days back, how did that happen?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Turns out my math is bad

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Floorgod gave my GnAc Firestarter on d5, crate gave me Bear Spirit, shops gave me Book of Battle and Book of Power, purple gave me rElec, Clarity and Wild Magic 1.

I can't wait to see how my hubris kills me this time.

edit the answer was trying to do elf 3 before the lair branches in an attempt to find some source of rpois

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 2, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Araganzar posted:

Dang and you cleared Orc, too. I've done this before and I have to say the few times I've just sucked it up and done Swamp, Snake, or Spider with no rpois it's gone better than going to depths or Elf 3. It's usually pretty easy to get swamp dragon armor unless you're gozag.

I forgot SwDA was a thing, whoops.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

How do you not notice that you are no longer setting everything on fire by existing?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Speaking of fire clouds, I just got a lovely reminder that when you have Firestarter and a ranged weapon, as soon as you switch weapons the fire clouds will start murdering you again.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If malmutate is staying gone in Gooncrawl (which I still think is a bad change), can we at least make resist mutation officially be considered a bad mut? If it's not protecting you from hostile mutations, then all it does is resist fun.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I liked it existing as a threat that forced you to address it immediately that wasn't just torment or hellfire.

Also a threat that had lasting effects that you can't just sit around until they go away.

edit: I also liked item corrosion, but burning/freezing scrolls/potions was a terrible mechanic and I'm glad that one's gone.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 4, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You could vary which malmutations you get from different malmuters so eyes are probably giving out -2 strength but orbs of fire have the full suite including berserkitis and friends. Frankly orbs of fire can do anything they want.

I really like this idea.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also while Iskenderun's Undoing is extremely cool, I would like it to stop crashing my game.

edit:

Gnollskills + Cheistats is a fun combo. I can cast any level 9 spell I want in plate armour.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/SirSamVimes/morgue-SirSamVimes-20200205-042442.txt

:toot: Disappointed to discover I can no longer wield bread upon leaving, but oh well.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Definitely switch to Zin, yell the gospel at people until they're confused/paralysed and then shank them.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I miss praying over bodies/altars.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't get why everyone's terrified of Tomb, it's completely trivialised by Silence which is what, a level 5 spell? And if your offense comes from spellcasting yourself, you probably have access to lichform which trivialises it even harder.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Touche, but the thing that hosed me is that Silence didn't shut down the Daevas whereas it shuts down literally everything short of death curses in Tomb.

edit oh, and the death scarabs are kinda dangerous too with the slow.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Maybe you should leave the same level of mut shuffling but make it so if Jiyva gives you a mutation, they always give you the maximum level of it. I feel like that would keep the fun of the shifting nature of a slime god, while taking away the annoying thing where you're just bouncing between baby levels of mutations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

McGavin posted:

Doesn't Jiyva stat shuffling try to make all your stats equal, so that you're well-rounded, like a slime? I thought that's how it used to work...

It was supposedly supposed to adjust to become beneficial to what you're doing, e.g. if you're wearing heavy armour it shifts into strength but it's never been very good at that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

An effect that can be replicated by playing a VS.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

code:
398935 SirSamVimes the Fencer (level 24, -13/189 HPs)
             Began as an Abomination Archaeologist on Feb 9, 2020.
             Was an Initiate of Gozag.
             Killed from afar by Jory (81 damage)
             ... with a crystal spear
             ... on level 4 of the Vaults on Feb 10, 2020.
             The game lasted 02:14:16 (45552 turns).

SirSamVimes the Fencer (Abomination Archaeologist) Turns: 45552, Time: 02:14:17

Health: -13/189    AC: 44    Str: 27    XL:     24   Next: 37%
Magic:  31/31      EV: 16    Int: 15    God:    Gozag
Gold:   4181       SH: 20    Dex: 20    Spells: 13/23 levels left
don't underestimate jory

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That rC- is going to be dangerous.

edit: You're a Chei worshipper so remember: Step From Time is one of the best emergency buttons in the game. You have blurry vision so if you try to use a blinking scroll everything will get a free swing on you, and that goes double for teleportation scrolls. Don't forget you have Step From Time.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 11, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

a million billion mutations is acceptable recompense for all the loot we'll be losing

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's still extremely dangerous that everything around you gets a free hit when you read.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kaedric posted:

I had all three of those things.

EDIT: Is the solution to farm abyss until you find enough mut pots? Abyss is what gave me all three of those bad mutations :(

If you are playing non-gooncrawl (which removed malmutate for some reason) then the solution is to memorise all the types of enemies that can mutate you and as soon as they come into sight you consider your options to limit your being in line of sight with them. The most common ones, like Neqoxecs and Shining Eyes are very squishy and they can't mutate you unless they have a direct line of fire. Ranged means of killing them like throwing weapons are good, but if you don't have any of that then use walls or other enemies to block their LoS and lure them in closer.

As a Cheibro, you can use Temporal Distortion which effectively removes you from existence for a few turns and makes them move a bit closer to you, which is an effective way to close the distance without having to walk towards them at half speed.

For Orbs of Fire, all bets are off. They're really tough and take a while to kill, which is one of the reasons that a lot of people save Zot for last because it has a fairly strong chance of just ruining your character.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

He got teleported straight to the orb lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean we already learn brands of monster weapons on sight, I don't see why more than that is required.