Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I started playing again. Gnolls seem fun, had a Xom worshipper that did pretty well with a quarterstaff of chaos and a billion of every type of ammo. Not having weights seems like ammo will need to be rebalanced in some way. Xom is still dumb, but at least easily amused by enemies being hasted.

This I just need to vent: then I splatted a felid transmuter in ice form, because shatter does double damage to that and one shot me from full health. That's a fun way to spending 2.5 hours learning one piece of super dumb trivia. I could stand crawl having fewer dumb edge case that never comes up until it kills you. Ice beasts are made of snow and ice, it's not like LRD works (or shatter does double damage) on orcs even though they have perfectly deconstructable skeletons inside them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

quote:

19034968 LeastActionHero the Grand Master (level 27, 298/298 HPs)
Began as a Naga Transmuter on Jan 7, 2020.
Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 15 runes on Jan 9, 2020!

The game lasted 08:52:18 (81741 turns).

My first ziggurat clear. :toot:
Statue form is so good, it's a bit disappointing that there's nothing really better for transmuters to aim for. I killed one of the hell lords with dragon form just because I could, and I tried to use hydra form on one of the pan lords but that went very poorly. Necromutation was sort of an upgrade, since I could use more armour slots and was immune to torment, but it was hardly satisfying the way that getting firestorm castable is.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
So I was working on the crab challenge, but the sacrifice pledge doesn't recognize that I abandoned Thanks crabma for Acrabumet. I can't get into the shrimpish mines.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I assumed so as I was at 6* and got the message "your understanding is complete" or whatever it was.

quote:

11762 | Lair:1 | Reached ****** piety under Ru

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Floodkiller posted:

I'll look into this. On an assumption did you save and quit sometime between when you abandoned and when you tried to enter the branch?

I can't say I specifically remember, but I probably did.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Floodkiller posted:

I've been trying for a week and I still can't get this to reproduce. If you or anyone else encounters this for Spiteful or Justice (the two I think this would be a problem with, but in different spots if it were occurring), please record exactly what you did to potentially cause it so I can troubleshoot further.

I reproduced the problem. In a single session on eatthepurple, fork: gooncrawl
Started a spiteful hermit crab IE
got to 6* piety with Ru ('understanding is complete', amulet of faith does nothing)
found the orcish mines
Went back to to Temple
Prayed at vehumet, joining vehumet at the same time as abandoning Ru
Then I didn't get the 'pledge is complete' message
And then I couldn't enter the mines.

In comparison, in a different game where I did abandon Ru as a separate action (a-X), everything worked normally.
Is there any easier way to test this than actually playing the game?

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
If I'm up to date, it's +1 to hit and damage. This is in no way like a weapon with 1 higher base damage, it's actually much weaker (this may require you to have decent weapon skill, but using a weapon you are not skilled with is a poor idea anyway). It might be like a weapon with 1 higher accuracy.

I think accuracy is less important anyway, because you normally have 'enough' from increasing your weapon skill to hit the min-delay.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
It was bound to happen eventually

quote:

1400785 LeastActionHero the Swordmaster (level 27, -10/249 HPs)
Began as a Gnoll Archaeologist on June 17, 2020.
Was a Follower of Uskayaw.
Killed from afar by Toyjoh the pandemonium lord (26 damage)
... with a great icy blast
... on level 1 of the Depths on June 20, 2020.
The game lasted 10:52:58 (91741 turns).

In conclusion, I still have no idea how weapons work. I'd have thought I could kill that guy, alone, from full health with my incredible 52 base damage weapon. Instead he repeatedly ice stormed me while I missed or did barely any damage. Would my other weapons have been better? :shrug:

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
The right thing to do would have been to run away effectively much sooner, though he was much faster than me. The scalemail was a nice find, as it was a way to get regen while in lichform without giving up the amulet of faith. I could have gotten like +5 ac if I switched to something highly enchanted. Maybe more if I used all my scroll enchanting some random dragon armour or platemail, but then I'd be dropping my EV by a 10, and giving up level 9 spells?

Honestly, I wouldn't have thought punk or cerebovs sword would actually have been better. I was clearing out levels with one weapon or another for kicks, and I wasn't taking any more damage with the dark maul than anything else. Maybe because I ordinarily took no damage?

Gnolls are kind of exhausting just because everything is potentially an option. Maybe I should play felids for a while.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I know perfectly well what the delay is, and I know how valuable mindelay is on all weapons with a base damage in the range of 0-20. I had been using dark maul more or less successfully since Lair. It's not like I blindly stumbled into killing every other pan lord by chance.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
You know what I don't miss? Eating brown chunks.

I feel like the only time the hunger mechanics has really felt properly interesting is the way it interacts with berserk. Getting 1 use of berserk rage, unless you have gourmand or eat a ration, meant that trolls and kobolds made noticeably easier to play berserkers in the early game.

In theory I guess it also made spriggan conjurers less attractive, as you wouldn't want to be spamming spells that cost hunger if you're living off just bread rations.

Now, fulsome distillation and the myriad of chunks, that was great. I wish it had been expanded to even more types. Undead could leave undead meat, which distills to something causing miasma! Demons and stuff make elemental meat, leaving elemental clouds!

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I think more likely is they just get rid of the soft cap and make it cumulative. Trying to dive for 6k turns/level of xomscumming probably isn't enough to get anything worthwhile. And you can hang out in the abyss or pan forever, but by that point you can scour the abyss for everything anyway.

Better yet would be to make xom less dumb as a god. Is there anything else worth waiting around for? God wrath maybe? But I figure if you're timing out god-wrath you could probably survive indefinitely in the abyss - and this could be avoided by making god-wrath dependent stuff besides time.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I just got a 3-win streak, so it does seem off. But then I died to an ant as a DEFE, so I decided it was probably just that I played a string of strong characters. Also buff ogres please.

I mean look at this overpowered jerk. Why on earth can I dodge while wearing crystal plate (it's because of the gloves).
code:
1800684 LeastActionHero the Slayer (level 27, 244/268 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Fighter on Dec 21, 2020.
             Was the Champion of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Dec 22, 2020!

The game lasted 04:02:31 (67913 turns).

LeastActionHero the Slayer (Minotaur Fighter)      Turns: 67913, Time: 04:02:32

Health: 244/268    AC: 52    Str: 28 (36) XL:     27
Magic:  35/35      EV: 20    Int: 14      God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   4775       SH: 20    Dex: 13 (25) Spells: 26/26 levels left

rFire    + . .     SeeInvis +   a - +8 mithril axe "Arga" {speed, MR+}
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   c - +0 shield "Xosyetai" {+Inv rF+ rCorr Int+5}
rNeg     . . .     Faith    .   S - +10 crystal plate armour
rPois    +         Spirit   .   O - scarf {cloud immunity}
rElec    .         Reflect  +   T - +5 pair of fencer's gloves {+Riposte EV+3 Dex+10}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   K - +2 pair of boots "Nuirgh" {-Cast Str+4 Dex+5 SInv}
MR       ++++.     Clarity  +   U - +5 amulet of reflection
Stlth    ..........NoCast   +   Q - ring of protection from cold
HPRegen  0.54/turn              A - ring of Vytur {rPois MR+}
MPRegen  0.24/turn

@: no status effects
A: retaliatory headbutt, hooves 1, horns 3, slimy green scales 1, clarity,
strong 1

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Most important is that there are playable skeletons. The archeologist background is also really good, especially with gnolls IMO.

There are some things removed from Trunk, like regen, and wands of haste, and centaurs, that Gooncrawl has kept. And a bunch of other stuff.

The best QoL is probably that a bunch of spells are implemented as permanent buffs that reduce max MP, rather than needing to be recast. This is especially great for transmutations, and just nice for stuff like regen and repel/deflect missiles.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
In my opinion I'm not sure that's a good fit for crawl. The Spelunky ghost is a good way to encourage people not to trawl though every part of a level, but that's okay because most parts of most levels only contain gold. In crawl that random corridor you explore could well be the tile with the only ring of resist fire in the dungeon. Plus with a punishing clock you might want to not use autoexplore, which would be terrible.

I'm not sure crawl needs a mechanic to encourage moving through the dungeon. Xom-scumming would be fixed more easily by making Xom get worse if he's repeatedly bored, and otherwise there's just no point. It's not like there are good (non-tedious) options to have to rest less - even if you run around at 50% HP, you're still on average healing as much damage as you take. Having to use the most food-efficient methods sounds like a boring consideration -oh, my conjurer had better get the dagger out to deal with these sheep, can't waste the food on spells.

I don't know I'd want to see cooking, but copying the vampire system of various effects at different hunger levels (like +/- HP, MP, breath/exhaustion recovery rate) would probably fit most within the current system. Being -20% HP would be something to avoid very strongly, but it wouldn't be "I'm screwed because only half as many rations spawned as usual".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Because it's poor design to let players always think "hmm, I might have survived if I had just sat in the temple hitting 5 until a got a sweet set of mutations and a few helpful items, but I didn't because that's boring/feels kind of like cheating/is literally called scumming by the community".

You could just not xomscum, but Xomscumming isn't a meta-strategy like choosing a stronger race or background (or even just outright cheating), or aiming for a speedrun or highscore. It's something that most characters could do near-effortlessly. I think it could even be automated, so it's not like it would involve a time commitment, except uninformed or technically unskilled people.

From another angle, I don't think most crawl players would support adding a god with the explicit purpose of enabling xom scumming, so it isn't something that should be left in the game because it happens to be possible now. I personally also think Xom should have an increasingly deadly response if you're being boring, that seems very on brand.