Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The mummy barding is just elaborate gold ornamentation and the artifact one is a microphone that also conveys fire resistance and the ability to periodically spit hot fire. It would of course be called Mummy Raps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Floodkiller posted:

Just so you don't think I'm actually working at a decent pace, that's July 14, 2018.

Which just makes you even further ahead of schedule. :thunk:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Janissary Hop posted:

Two turn KO by Gastronok the 6% polymorph chance shard shrike. That's me up there unaware I was NOT selecting my acid wand and also unaware that shard shrikes can see invisible.

Maybe the Shrke was still wearing that Hat of See Invisible Gastronok had (or it got melded into it?)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Congrats on the wins, folks!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

hito posted:

Hey nerds, I'm working on an article and hoping there's someone competent at diving through source code history so I don't have to teach myself to do it. Remember that double damage bug in...I want to say the tail end of .15 to the release of .16? Where damage calculated twice on like all melee hits, and it took a non-trivial amount of time for people to notice? I would love to have the exact dates on when that bug was introduced and then found, so I can describe it more precisely + get to the right parts of the old Crawl thread. Actually not even a roguelike focused thing - I'm just kind of informally investigating the idea that being the kind of numerate person who is good at systems like Dungeon Crawl also makes you more blind to real patterns that exist because you know of more reasons why an apparent pattern might just be an illusion. But this is all memories from years gone by so I want to get it fresh before I go *too* far about it.

Is the article going to be available somewhere online when it's done, or is this for some fancy psychology journal or something? Sounds like an interesting read.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

FlocksOfMice posted:

Spend too long on any level and Baron von Blubba appears. He instantly kills you if he catches you and goes through walls, but travels in straight lines of predetermined length only. All enemies turn into food when they die, and the quality of the food reflects how many points they're worth. If you reach the Orb of Zot without a companion, you can only get the fake ending, try again with a friend.

:bubblewoop:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Victory Position posted:

I get the feeling that this is a randart name specific to Gooncrawl.

A shame it didn't spawn with berserk.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wasn't one of Disintergrate's classic uses against Statues, or are those gone now?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Congratulations!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The important thing is you won. Congrats on the first win.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Serephina posted:

That sourceless malevolence thing tickles me pink. Counterplay? Naaaah.

Sourceless isn't even accurate, since the malevolence is coming from inside the dev team.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I've been randomly reading through the Roguelike thread from the start, and it's funny to see even back in 2017 people talking about Crawl devs taking the fun out of things and streamlining stuff down so there's no variety. There were even people pining for a branch that would restore races/gods/features they liked.

I imagine they'll poo poo their pants when I get to the part where Floodkiller announces Gooncrawl.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Lampsacus posted:

Are other DCSS players enjoying any other roguelikes right now? I'm keen to spin some new ones but I'll probably to back to playing, don't judge, that old zombie Rogue Survivor i can't explain why I know it's a bit poo poo I just love it, or literally the original Rogue.

TOME4 and Dungeonmans would be my recommendations that people haven't said yet. I'll also second someone awful.'s recommendation of Golden Krone Hotel.

[EDIT] Also: Tangledeep.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 10, 2022

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BigFactory posted:

What’s the issue with traps now? Holes are fine and add interesting situations in early game. Net traps are pointless and basically the same thing as webs, but they’re harmless. Teleport traps are pretty much beneficial. Zot traps are as dangerous as they ever were but no worse.

I would assume the beef people have with traps is that they're guaranteed to get you now. They went from being generated and thus possibly avoidable to just being on a timer until the next tile you step on generates a trap, because gently caress you. As people said in earlier posts, they took something interactable and cut all the interactivity in the name of streamlining, so its not about counterplay, it's just a guy randomly showing up to punch you in the back of the head on a timer you can't see.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BigFactory posted:

The whole game is about randomly generated stuff.

That's not random generation. That's very targeted generation. Go X steps, trigger a trap unavoidably. At that point its not a trap being triggered, because there was no option to not trigger it, or avoid it, or work around it, or even plan for it, because it doesn't exist until the game decides to trigger it.

That's not good game design. It's not even rational thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If they rolled back the other traps hunting you down on a timer, then at least that's somewhat more reasonable. Though shafts are still pretty dickish to have auto-hit you, given where you can end up.