Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jester Mcgee posted:

First try at that combo, not first time ever. :blush:
I know. That's still a hell of a return to Crawl. Welcome back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah crazy as it might sound those changes actually came mostly from Trunk. The devs do sometimes make fun improvements... its just always accompanied by bullshit like the traps rework, which they probably aren't even gonna tweak.

I'm pretty sure I saw gammafunk pooling through deathrates and he considered the increased lethality of Tomb and Zot:5 to be a feature rather than an issue :regd09:
One of these months you're finally going to listen to us about switching over.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Not sure why it exists now, other than to waste acquirement scrolls and make you sad.
Because every time Oka gifts it to me I feel obligated to put it on at least once. Like a Christmas sweater given to you by a senile grandparent.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

Gooncrawl is now being hosted on CKO; thanks, Floraline!
https://crawl.kelbi.org/#lobby

Gooncrawl online scores for CKO can be found on both CKO's personal scoring site (https://crawl.kelbi.org/morgue-test/highscores.html , https://crawl.kelbi.org/morgue-test/best-players-total-score.html) and on Bloodnok's aggregated scoring site (http://gooncrawl.montres.org.uk/).

If there are any issues and you don't want to reach out directly, please post them and I can forward them up.
And now I have to start playing again. Dammit!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Guh, CBRO and CAO are both down, so I'm going to have to rebuild my RC file on CKO. Grump grump grump.

Edit: Skeletons are fun! Rewards good stairdancing/escape route fundamentals, punishes bad ones. That -2 Evocations is super rough, though. It's like being a Deep Dwarf but worse.

Edit2: That said, I might start recommending SkFi^M as a good "not a MiBe" melee start for beginners. YOU GON LEARN.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 26, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Toalpaz posted:

Duly noted!
It might be hard to endgame without the effective oh-poo poo buttons of potions, which means you may end up burning through scrolls unsustainably quickly until you learn good "when and how to run" habits. But if you can semi reliably finish Lair, I'd say you've learned your combat fundamentals (including chokepoints, stairdancing, and knowing when to just book it).

Edit: Part of what makes Skeletons' lovely HP is acceptable is that they're immune to Torment et al., the most common offensive abilities where raw HP numbers are what's most important. You can still get splattered dusted by two-headed ogres with spiked clubs and what not, but that's just combat-but-more-lethal, rather than the completely unique strategy required when something steals half your HP whenever the gently caress it feels like it.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 27, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ugh, after I was doing so well, I just dusted a skelly with +2 plate and a +1 flaming scim before Lair. Polymorphed and flattened Maurice in an open area before he could steal my poo poo, then got caught, still in the open, by an imp with a wand of acid. :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Harp is the replacement for wands of healing.
Yeah. It's an evocable that constantly heals you and makes noise for as long as you do nothing but wait in place after playing it.

Scaramouche posted:

Haven't tried skellies but isn't their low hp melee thing just like vine stalker or gargoyle? E.g. a pain but ultimately surmountable
It is, but it lowers the margin for error fairly significantly, especially on top of their lovely Fighting aptitude.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I personally support the removal of the uberwands for two reasons.

1) Instead of it being something with charges, having on-demand healing and teleports be something you can't run out of makes it more forgiving if you blast through a thousand charges early. Means you aren't screwed if the floorgod decides you're never getting a scroll of recharge aside from the one you wasted while furiously read-IDing.
2) It makes Evocations matter for characters who don't care about most other wands and didn't get a cool artifact.
3) I named the Harp of Healing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tolly's currently probated, we might have to wait a few more days.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

I can look into the drop rate for amnesia scrolls and bump them up if needed.
The problem (IMO) is that spellbook amnesia is gone, but amnesia scrolls weren't increased in frequency to compensate.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Serephina posted:

Shows how much I play nowadays. When did spellbook amnesia go away, and what was it replaced with?
You eat the book on pickup and its contents are added to a list of spells you can memorize at your leisure later.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

I'm finding skeles a bit fragile for melee too, and they don't have the trade-off other low hp guys do like magic bite for VS or super armour for Gargoyle. Reap is obviously a buff but it has drawbacks like you can't get out of trouble as easily. Current guy is at three runes and reap and heroism gets things done (I assume they synergize) but am blowing a lot of tele scrolls to get out of visual range when in trouble. Not sure if it's sustainable for extended especially when you run up against holy/undead damaging stuff more often.
It's why you kind of need either Makhleb (Trog? Okawaru?) or some other way to deal with extended fights, escape isn't really an option. Hell, maybe even Chei so you can just disappear into time and let things wander off. I have lots of Skelly theories.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Race idea: Blind mole-people, have a passive mapping mutation (antenna?), gnoll item-smelling, and enemy-difficulty sense a la Ashenzari. Terrible ranged aptitudes, obviously, but great Stealth apt, Formicid digging, and a high natural MR. "Real" vision range is six.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

HisMajestyBOB posted:

So your vision range is 6, but enemies have 8?
No, everyone had 6, Dithmenos style, so they can't see you at a range outside it. Needs SOMETHING to balance out having... probably blurry vision 3, actually.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

The coding would absolutely be an enormous nightmare. If someone wants to pull request that, be my guest.

Edit: Specifically the different vision ranges thing. If it worked with the same vision rules as everything currently is, it wouldn't be too bad.
Yeah, I don't know where that idea came from. I just meant an auto-Dithmenos thing. It'd be cool, but... yeah, yikes.

Here, putting the idea in game terms:
- Small size
- Antennae 1 or 2, probably one. Styled as having nose-feelers.
- Gnoll-style smell valuables.
- Blurry vision 3
- Claws 3
- Range 6 or 7 vision, a la Dithmenos
- Digging claws or mandibles a la formicids
- Hilariously bad ranged apts (except throwing which is just mediocre), bad dodge
- Really good unarmed apt, stealth apt, good Earth magic, bad Air magic, maybe good transmutation or something, IDK

Edit: Or, hilarious option, make them Large instead of small, and give them regen. Basically Stealth Trolls with a side of Formicid. Troll Mole.

Edit 2: Rock trolls! Bright them back as actually-interesting rock trolls. Someone teach me how to code a species and I'll make it.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 31, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

sixty percent chance to fail at reading scrolls kicks in at just the wrong time
That got changed in 0.16 to just making it take longer. BV 1 takes 5 AU longer, BV 2 takes 10, BV 3 takes 20.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i support mole race. do the reduced sightline thing and flavor it so that enemies have a harder time seeing your character because they're sort of camouflaged due to being a weird dungeon mole that has moss and stuff growing on it.
The question then is why not just give them the Camouflage mutation.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Toalpaz posted:

I've actually managed to get a ez MiFi through Shoals and Snake and through to Vault 4. I hear Vault 5 can get real bad because they basically drop you in the middle of a big fight. While normally I'd be confident about that I see that it can spawn Liches/Necromancers and the only people actually scaring me now are people casting Torment and rapidly depleting my HP.

For a fully melee character, with rC and ac 30 and all that good stuff, do you think it's less risky to do Slime and stair dance without being worried about Torment?
If you've got good (at LEAST **, preferably ***) rF, what you can do is bring some scrolls of immolation down. Read one, kill one or two guys and cause a chain reaction that clears out a lot of the fight. Then, run up the stairs, wait for the noise to gather everything around the stairs again, and do it again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If you're willing to fight the Royal Jelly, you'll probably do fine going for the Abyssal rune instead.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burginator posted:

I figure it was saving me damage by just making archers kill themselves while my spines killed everything in melee. I felt like the biggest rear end in a top hat in the dungeon, everything just killed themselves when they tried to hit me
Try playing a Long blades + Greatshield Formicid with Reflection. You can just wait through fights, it's amazing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Araganzar posted:

Wow apparently Xom can straight up kill you with no tension and at full hits. I didn't think that was possible.

pre:
 27 araganzar the Ducker (level 2, -6/13 HPs)
             Began as a Spriggan Jester on Apr 3, 2019.
             Was a Follower of Nemelex Xobeh.
             Killed by the capriciousness of Xom (19 damage)
             ... on level 2 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 00:07:24 (1739 turns).
I guess maybe because you start with wrath and wrath doesn't follow the same rules?

I'd found a frigging book of misfortune too. On D2. Was going to have invisibility online by Lair. :negative:
#xom_unreasons

Can we have a gooncrawl alternative to the learndb/wiki?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bogart posted:

e: Posted this and immediately died
The Crawl Curse.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bogart posted:

Make Corpse Explosion a Poison spell

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Aumanor posted:

As soon as I saw that a rejected ideas page exists I knew there would be some cool concepts there because the crawl devs are allergic to fun. Would you be able to code that, Floodkiller? Maybe make Ogres grow a second head at a certain level? Or as a possible mutation unique to them?
The only part of that no that makes sense is the religion thing.

Edit: Not because it wouldn't be fun but because I can imagine it would be a nightmare of weird corner case bugs and exceptions and basically a loving nightmare to code.

Edit 2: Someone teach me how to code species

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Araganzar posted:

I FORGOT TO DO SWAMP

also:

pre:
 w - a +1 triple sword of protection (weapon)
   (You took it off a deep elf death mage on level 3 of the Elven Halls)
 57113 | Elf:3    | Identified the +5 scale mail of Masochism {rN+++ MR- rCorr Str+4 Slay+4} (You found it on level 3 of the Elven Halls)
 57217 | Elf:3    | Identified the ring "Doluucw" {Wiz +Fly rPois rC+} (You took it off a deep elf death mage on level 3 of the Elven Halls)
Elf 3 is a death trap but it is a very lucrative death trap.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

I've been wanting a scroll of brand armour for a long time.
Because then hypothetical optimal player might use them to... have fun?

Fake edit: Why do we not call him Theoretical Optimal Man?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Trog just gifted me a +2 Exe Axe of freezing on D11. :stonklol:

Edit: Pincushioned by Nessos. :saddowns:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 4, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bogart posted:

Possible bug: Trog Skeletons can't go Berserk.
Feature request: Skeletons activate reap/berserk by drawing angry eyebrows on their forehead.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bogart posted:

Feature request: skeletons should be able to berserk if they have a bottle of blood to boil.
Actual unironic echoing of this. Potions of blood need more usages. Let non-vampire undead use them as berserk potions.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Considering that FD was specifically designed to be a good and easy caster race, sounds like it's working and we finally have a caster equivalent to MiBe/MiFi.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Now there's an interesting thought experiment. Have any of the other Crawl forks tried to impose the Nethack philosophy onto Crawl's existing structure? In my mind it's like the roguelike equivalent of that 'cursed image' thing.

'You try to push the boulder, but it was actually a boulder beetle!'
'You dip the wand into the potion. The wand turns into a mana viper! It was a potion of mutation.'
'You dip the wand into the potion. It turns into a huge magical tree, crushing you! It was a potion of lignification. You have died. Would you like to see your inventory?'
There's no way triple swords would survive that move.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, who the hell plays Deep Elves any more

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just poked my head into Zot. Is it worth going into extended? Never done it before. I haven't found any brand weapon scrolls and I kinda stupidly used a bunch of my enchant weapon scrolls thinking that Okawaru would for SURE have given me a good artifact triple sword by now. I'm really not looking forward to trying to charge into new territory with pretty good gear but also the world's shittiest swordswordsword.

Edit: Definitely not 15-runing, fuuuuck that. I just mean picking up a few like Abyss, Slime, Tomb, etc.

Edit2: Proud to report, though, that even with a lovely weapon, Scroll of Immolation and RF+++ still demolishes Vaults 5 in an incredibly entertaining way.

Edit3: "Pmush is that really your best amulet?" Yes. I wasted three acquire scrolls trying to get better jewelry and I'm pissed. One of them was my first ring of rCorr at least(?)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 7, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, that. It's still a fairly new feature and a work in progress. I've suggested that we do something like Hellcrawl's interpretation before and I still think it's a good idea. At high success rates it won't matter, but at low rates, it'll effectively average out to the cost of having to make multiple attempts to recast things in combat. Right now, permabuffs are insanely more cost-effective than any targeted spell of equal success rate.
What if the MP cost is literally just increased by your failure chance? That, or +1 MP for every 10% of the failrate, but that feels punishing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I'm gonna hit Slime and see if I have the patience for getting the Abyss rune. After that, I'll consider hell. Especially since I also have a +3 endymion enddemons endemm lightsaber that I'm considering putting my last few enchant scrolls into.

Edit: Is a +0 Trip Sword of Flaming better or worse than a +3 Lightsaber, assuming I have max Long Blades and a few enchant scrolls?

Edit 2:

#minotaur_reasons

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 7, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Good loving Christ, there's seven levels of this literally-constantly-respawning enemies poo poo?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Araganzar posted:

A swap to TSO is probably a no-brainer right now as Heroism is doing nothing for you. TSO's accuracy, negative protection, hp return, pets, massive shield buff, and holy explosions on the other hand would do a whole lot for you. And you could holy brand a second weapon.
I really don't wanna die to Oka wrath. Kinda wanna just lock in the win and play something more interesting.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Moment of truth. I could literally grab the orb now and book it out, I've got Vaults, Spider, Swamp, and Slime. Abyss sounds like a chore right now, and Hell seems even moreso, but IDK if I'm throwing away something spectacular by going for a simple four rune. What do I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And got it! First non-Barachi Gooncrawl win! :toot: (I mean, it was a MiFi, that's not a huge achievement.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 7, 2019