Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I don't suppose we have an ETA on paralysis not sucking in Gooncrawl? I want to play, but I refuse to play until Paralysis is fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

Anyone know what happened to the tiles version of SS for android? The link from the main crawl page is dead and I can't find it by searching the play store either, just the ASCII version.

minmay objected to the lack of numpad

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

five minutes later: we regret to inform you that gnolls were removed, in favour of another fragile race with above-baseline necromancy aptitudes

MIIIIINMAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jazerus posted:

can't wait until crawl has a single corridor with a single enemy and you just press tab to win

to reduce variability, you see

I uh well

That already exists: http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Linesprint

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Unless it's changed in trunk, isn't malmutate weighted STRONGLY towards negative mutations?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Teal posted:

Imho traps that relocate you be it by shafting or Tele should have a chance to spawn a beneficial, otherwise inaccessible vault with good loot or shop in it and shove you into it.

That sounds like fun. Fun is not competitive.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

When I said it didn't feel fair, Gammafunk told me that 170 or something people had gotten the golden rune, so it was clearly fine. Also there's no problem with Tomb being harder, because its extended!

I'm just so defeated. I thought finally coming back for my 100th win would be a grand and meaningful venture but it ended in bitter tears. And yeah, "just play gooncrawl", well call it stupid but I care about my online stat page. It gave me goals to work towards. I liked tournaments and the challenges they gave to me. There are incentives to play regular Crawl over Goon Crawl that kept me going back to it, but at this point its not worth it anymore.

I might try doing small things for Gooncrawl just for fun. I know this sounds insanely stupid but it was a little dream of mine to one day make content for this game. No idea where I would even start with that though, I know fuckall about coding.

Designing vaults just takes a text editor.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

Did Pan Lords get a redesign when I wasn't looking or is that a new unique?

Ignacio's been around awhile but is pretty rare (only occurs in half of games, in extended, randomly) http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Ignacio

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I think that monster is about to be cut down to size.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

What is the best melee weapon class? I've been playing with polearms because of reaching but are maces better for reduced xp cost? Assuming a full melee character/tank

Itís axes for 2handers, generally. Cleave is absurdly good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Demonspawn archaeologist of Makhleb with the obsidian axe was a ton of fun

a white ugly thing in front of an electric eel was my undoing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Since people were asking, the build on CKO lists human/demonspawn/tengu/deep elf/deep dwarf as recommended races.

Two questions:

1) What are the recommended .rc file additions these days? CKO is a new server, so I've lost all my edits/things I should change. Is CKO the one with gooncrawl scoring or is that another one?

2) Is there a way to remap keys? Ctrl-W gets grabbed by Chrome as "close window", not the all important "set waypoint."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

My archaeologist crate pranked me, it was the Robe of Folly. Oh lord.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I'm worried this character doesn't have enough oomph for Zot: https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Arivia/Arivia.txt

My crate was Punk, but I switched it out for the +9 flaming fustibalus which seems to be doing better. I'm mostly worrying about standing up to OoFs. I still have Elf and Crypt to clear, I guess I can do that and hope I find a better melee weapon or something? Ignite blood is a lot of fun for cutting through trash though. Firebombed V:5 and just stood there in the flames machine gunning poo poo until enough found me by GONG. I guess Gooncrawl doesn't have cMut back so I should carry some regular mutation potions with me into Zot?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Araganzar posted:

Use Punk to soften up anything thats not rCorr, it will make the flaming one hit harder. Zot you want restore abilities potions. Shield of the Gong will help avoid any surprises in Zot 5 although you might want to hang close to the exit and have a nice path to the stairs that has some breaks in LOS. Ignite will take care of a lot of issues and you have torment resistance so just keep herosim up and use finesse + dtrident, do you not have any potions of might? That can make it hard but you have 8 resistance pots so just make sure you have a few restore abilities and you should be fine.

I have might, I just usually donít carry it on me. Itís in my stash on Lair 2 because habits. Thank you everyone!

Oh and the poster who told me about * youíre correct and the best.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Okay, need some feedback again. Here's where I'm at after clearing Elf, Crypt, and Zot: https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Arivia/Arivia.txt

I'm wondering if I should poke my head into extended with this character. I feel pretty beefy (OoFs have not been a problem, ancient liches sometimes land spells that hurt), and I'm thinking this might be a good opportunity to get my feet wet in extended by doing maybe Abyss or Tomb or something?

e: And if I do extended I'm not sure if I should hybridize. I'm guessing I should go dig a murderhole somewhere and switch from Oka to Makhleb, though.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 15, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

You have extended-quality gear right there.

I'd go Slime -> Abyss -> Pan -> Hell -> Tomb -> Zig (if you're feeling ballsy), in that order.

As far as hybridization goes, I'd start with getting your permabuffs on: Song of Slaying, Regeneration, Repel/Deflect Missiles.

Okay, so what's the order of priorities?

Get out of Zot, then switch to Makhleb, and work on invocations/the spellcasting/spell schools for permabuffs? Then do Slime after the wrath has timed out?

e: Do I wait out wrath, or do I have to clear out poo poo to get it to time out?

Arivia fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 15, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

Okay, need some feedback again. Here's where I'm at after clearing Elf, Crypt, and Zot: https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Arivia/Arivia.txt

I'm wondering if I should poke my head into extended with this character. I feel pretty beefy (OoFs have not been a problem, ancient liches sometimes land spells that hurt), and I'm thinking this might be a good opportunity to get my feet wet in extended by doing maybe Abyss or Tomb or something?

e: And if I do extended I'm not sure if I should hybridize. I'm guessing I should go dig a murderhole somewhere and switch from Oka to Makhleb, though.

Did Slime with little issue, now cutting through Abyss. Is Okaís wrath really short or does it go away in Abyss for some reason?

Also I found the warlockís mirror in the Slime rune vault. Is it worth switching to that over the gong?

E: my dump got automagically updated, thatís neat!

Arivia fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 15, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Okay, so I've done Abyss and Pan, and I still have Hell and then Tomb to do.

Here's my dump: https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Arivia/Arivia.txt

I don't have a lot of experience with Hell or Tomb, does anyone have any tips for working through them? Any recommendations in general, for gear I should change, or for skill recommendations? I still don't have rMsl castable, but I'll work on that soon. I've been using the demon trident more than the sling, I didn't want to run out of bullets without Oka backing me up. Oka wrath seems to be done.

e: Oh, and shield selection. Gong has been getting me mobbed a bit, I hopped out of Abyss and switched to the Warlock's Mirror and that helped. But going back to Gong for Pan wasn't bad, honestly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hell yes, got my first 15-runer:

Scariest moment was popping lignify on the Tomb:3 stairs and realizing I couldn't keep up with the other poo poo coming my way despite torment immunity. Had to drink cancellation, rush upstairs, then take on like 4 mummy priests with no buffs. Makhleb regen saw me through thankfully. I think Khufu on Tomb:3 came with a ton of greater mummies to make it more difficult.

Trapdoor tomb or whatever they have on Trunk now must be terrifying. It was enough of a pain with working stairs to stairdance on, let alone one-ways.

e: thanks to everyone for the advice, you made this happen!

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 19, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Pakellas: the original god that was just too fun to ever be allowed to exist in Crawl.

He'd be rather incompatible with Djinns, too, but I suppose you could just put a racial limit on that.

I was glad to get a DD win with Pakellas in the short period he was available. He was too much fun to not get at least a win with.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

someone awful. posted:

there's still teleport traps all over inside of the lungs, though, and if you're making noise clearing the outside bit you'll probably wake stuff up that'll wander into the teleport traps and show up to say hi.

that said, getting ambushed before going in to clear the lungs isn't something i've ever had a problem with so maybe i just don't have the right mindset to understand why you'd want a runed door there vv

e: i did have this z5 layout recently that i seriously appreciated though

How the gently caress did that work? You had to teleport into the lungs?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Araganzar posted:

ITS OKAY ME WIN!

pre:
21084446 araganzar the Archmage (level 27, 201/201 HPs)
             Began as a Faerie Dragon Conjurer on Apr 17, 2019.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Apr 20, 2019!

The game lasted 10:29:30 (72574 turns).

Best Crawlers -
  1.21084446 araganzar  FDCj-27 escaped with the Orb
  2.13866494 Arivia     DsAc-27 escaped with the Orb
  3.13850234 Haifisch   NaAc-27 escaped with the Orb
Was just going to 4 rune then I got CBlink, Singularity, and Necromutation in Zot. Singularity totally bamfoozled Dispater. Also in trouble against Cerebov, just cblinked back, dropped a singularity, and channeled MP.

Took a trap door to Tartarus 7 and wound up in a room with Eresh, Serpent of Hell and 3 Tizimis while in Lich Form.

I really don't think Necromute was needed, I think the key to extended is having spellforged servitor who's only casting Iron Shot / LCS and having a giant evoke for channeling. You could probably shave quite a bit off this time by focusing elemental training but this is about as fast as I'm comfortable going with a caster, I wound up exploring almost all the main dungeon and branches.

Well I had the highest score for like eight hours

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

[quote="Araganzar" post=""494435193Ē"]
edit: well no good armor through Orc, Lair, and D, guess I'll poke my head down into depths to see if there's a fire dragon I ca.. OH MY GOD

Here's a challenge: name a Depths monster that's missing from this picture.
[/quote]

No juggernaut.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Araganzar posted:

Yikes I'm that guy aren't I? I remember your post now but your score isn't showing up on the high scores or on your score page for Gooncrawl.

At least you didn't get your score beat by a guy who only did 15 runes. Sorry, I bet it was cool getting the results screen and seeing you'd beaten Haif's score though, were you aware you would be close?

Hope you get a FDCj going. The secret with that battlesphere is it will shoot at your target (even if you hit something else it will aim for your target) and it will move up to 1 square to position where it can see the target. So you can block it and if it's behind you in a corridor you will have to take a step back. You can shoot through your battlesphere with no issues. I did a poor job explaining that in chat.

Haha, no worries. And yeah the scoring system doesn't seem to have kept my win, which is sad. Idk who to report that to.

I had no idea I'd be number 1, it was a very pleasant surprise! I play for combo wins and titles, not score though, so it was just a nicety and no biggie.

And no worries about the battlesphere thing, I was multitasking against the hockey game and just paid attention to the game after that. I have now lost two very promising FDCjs to Ijyb with a loving acid wand, gently caress him. I've never won with a caster before, so FDCj looks perfect for my next combo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Okay, I got a FeCj to the bottom of Lair for the first time. https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Arivia/Arivia.txt
Any skill or spell suggestions? Nothing's really interested me as a weapon, so I was just going to go with magical staves eventually. I expect Magic Dart + Battlesphere won't work for trash forever.

Vehumet offered me Bolt of Cold, which might be a nice addition to my Bolt of Magma/Iron Shot. I'm currently using Poison Cloud/Fireball to take down enemy groups, so I might need to find something different for the Lair branches.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Araganzar posted:

Magic Dart + Battlesphere will last you until you are into level 9 spells. I would probably get rid of bolt of magma, searing ray, and dazzling spray and get bolt of cold and force lance. Bolt of cold is good in shoals where it will leave behind freezing clouds over water. It's also good in snake where you have a lot of opportunities to line guys up in corridors and narrow spaces, and naga are slow so they can be easily positioned. About 6-8 cold would support, I would keep pushing conj and fire in the hopes you get bolt of fire, ignition, and firestorm. You already have iron shot and shatter.

Clear Orc and Dungeon. Do snake and prioritize fast-moving targets like anaconda, shock serpents, and adder, all of which are cold-blooded and may be slowed by cold. As a felid with reflection, shoot for 29-31 EV and get deflect missiles as soon as you can support the MP reservation comfortably. DMSL is really nice to have in Shoals. Long-term with +4 transloc you want controlled blink and singularity, replace cblink wth disjunction for Zot and the orb run.

As a felid you probably also want spellforged servitor as a free MP caster and blocker. Don't let naga get in melee as they can tear you up and prevent blink with constriction. Long term you may consider some summons even though they are unsupported by Vehumet. Summon Forest is a nice escape spell for Felid that can also really control the battlefield and with your heavy translocation you can get it off with maybe 4 summoning skill.

I mistyped, Iím a faerie dragon, not a felid. I donít think my translocations is that good

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dammit, I got my FDCj to the orb run and then got ambushed by a pan lord who appeared right next to me. Orb delay on teleport sealed my doom.

Dying in the late game always sucks so much.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Oh excellent! Time to work on filling up that page, thanks Floodkiller!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Araganzar posted:

anyone want to guess what artefact I got out of my crate...

pre:
Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Whip              |   134 |       |       |       |       |       ||   134
       Falchion          |    63 |    88 |       |       |       |       ||   151
       Hand axe          |       |       |       |     2 |       |       ||     2
       Scimitar          |       |       |       |       |     3 |       ||     3
 Fire: Fustibalus        |       |    62 |   294 |   746 |  1738 |  1240 ||  4080
       Blowgun           |       |       |       |       |    13 |     6 ||    19

Punk!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I did an ice cave recently that had a blind portal in it and FDA as the reward. Funny swerve, whoever came up with that one.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serephina posted:

Javalins sound good! Boomerangs are a rather goofy mental image, but ok sure. But I draw the line at darts. If it has no weight nor appreciable damage and is just used for it's poisonous effects, the only thing that makes sense are things the size of lawn darts. That's just not a thing I'm ready for, some guy in leather armour flicking out darts with great dexterity going "Take this, and thissss!" while dispensing pub darts.

it's especially amusing because you're australian or whatever

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Is there an up-to-date offline Gooncrawl build for Windows?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Teal posted:

I get that the name "bloatcrawl" is already taken, but specifically as far as species go I will never vote no for adding a new species as long as it's not like, pepe species or something

this

I'm thoroughly uninterested in playing any of them but it makes me happy to see new additions to go along with such serious Crawl staples as "baby octopus" and "literal housecat."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Prism posted:

I was kind of hoping they'd make a changelog so I knew what was different in trunk, having not played it in months.

Sadly, .24 has no changelog, or if it does I can't find it.

Edit: There's no tournament page linked yet either despite the tournament starting tomorrow. all around, I guess.

dumbgeon crawl 0.24 changelog

-no changes to traps

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Oh poo poo tourney???
So are we gonna form some teams or what

that would require playing trunk, so no

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Stockwell posted:

Ah okay, was playing regular .24 and I'm pretty sure I found some sort of mutation potion, at least it affected my stats and I grew horns. Do the chunks work a bit differently?

Pretty much the same. Mutation potions give you more, but the random list of mutations is the same between chunks and potions. (Demonspawn are a race that gains different, more powerful mutations as they level up.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Morgue file here if anyone wants to laugh at how I could have easily beaten Tomb with what I had
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/mor...1103-064041.txt

Weíre not judging you for skipping Tomb but we are judging you for playing trunk

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Glagha posted:

Don't gently caress centaurs.

loving centaurs is some fun and exciting geometry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

I think I'm done with crawl now. Just lost an incredibly strong FoFi in zot5 because I went around a corner and a lich walked onto an alarm trap, resulting in getting dogpiled. Survivable, sure, but then I get loving polymorphed into a bat by a killer klown, who also incidently is wielding throwing nets. Killed in literally 2 moves after that.

alarm traps, honestly, need removing.

I'm just imagining this done in mspaint and it's hilarious

sad, but hilarious

skull dude steps on an alarm clock and then a clown turns you, an ant-man, into a bat and throws nets at you until you die