Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

I really feel like barding needs to be collapsed into just barding. Literally nothing is more frustrating than finding tons of Naga bardings over the course of the game and never finding a Centaur one or vice versa.
Though you'd probably leave Lightning Scales and Black Knight as specific to the species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

Species idea: Fulgurite, lightning-infused flying djinni-like creature that moves slow as poo poo naturally (as they're pinned to a spot they've magnetized,) but has a low-cooldown blink that costs nothing, starts uncontrollable and becomes controllable by XL14 or something. Flying and cannot land, Natural rElec, increased EV maybe, no boot slot (as they need their grounding point,) but no other armor slot restrictions. Good AE and Conjurations, low HP and bad Fighting, good Polearms and Staves skill. Terrible, terrible EE and charms (they're made of constantly coruscating energy and thus hard to self-buff whatever meat they've got.) Maybe have some various magnetic racial features.

Also just so you can finally play a gently caress.

Edit: It occurs to me that a lot of this is basically just what Barachi are. Well,

mdct fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 23, 2018

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

Sage Grimm posted:

A mace is just a blunt axe, after all.

But a whip is a leather sword

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

Like: not doing the postgame, I guess???

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

Any change that removes purple chunks as a thing you can just get and eat is a bad one

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

Make the 18 Bronzemen trial into an entire level-spanning vault in the depths imo

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

Jesus christ, welcome back to D7 for a while, I guess

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

I remember reading a translated set of opinions of Crawl from around the world, and the Korean ones were almost all about how the constant removal of features was always annoying, even if there was some begrudging acceptance that it made the game more accessible to play, so, yeah, it's like exactly how this thread thought of the main dev branch. The moment it became removal for its own sake, that's what broke bad on it everywhere.

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

WJC, a god that was supremely cool and was never more powerful than just being a blaster of Vehumet or whatever, is the sad story of the devs making worse and worse with every release iteration for absolutely no reason, completely against the wishes of the gods' original creator and without meaningfully taking their input.

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

If DCSS was ever, ever intended to truly be designed for new players, they would have touched rebalancing the early game from start to Lair even once, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 1, 2011

Don't steal them.

Out of Depth monsters have always been a much more aggressive and active dissuader of sandbagging levels for EXP than the food clock ever was to begin with, and that's a mechanic that's been in the game forever.