Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

I have some vault ideas I'd like to contribute to gooncrawl, but can someone tell me what sorts of values are supposed to go in the value portion of user-definable tile sections? Where can I search for values to place in this area?

Example: If I wanted to place an altar of gozag in a vault, obviously I'd select "A user-definable feature" in the graphical tile editor, but I have no clue what I'm then supposed to set this "J=" to. altar.gozag? altarGozag? altar_gozag? z61fjdjd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

um

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

Let me guess, you're a deep elf.

Edit: Wait, grayed helmet... you're a formicid, aren't you?

Yeah. I hosed up in tomb, though. I was worshiping TSO, but for some reason I got swarmed by actually living enemies - loving phoenixes.

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

Reading through the design docs, I think I have a pretty good idea now how to impliment new species. I'm currently working on an Abomination species, an item-dependent crime against nature. Before I go through all the effort of implimenting it, I'd like to fetch what you all think of the idea.

Using the small abomination sprite, the species fluff is a wizard who was banished to the abyss, went mad, and escaped decided to create the ultimate species. Using insperation/pieces from merfolk, formicid, octopede, and trolls, with some human as well because it's good filler, he succeeded. However, the thing's mind could barely comprehend its new body (think frankenstein's monster) so it ran away and into the dungeon.

The positives:

8 rings!
2-handed weapons + shield!
Full equipment slots except gloves
Water breathing!
Regeneration!
+1 XP, +10% HP, +10% MP

Now I'm sure that sounds overpowered as poo poo, and that's because it is. Let's look at how this balances out, though.

The negatives:
-2 pips of fire resistence (the stiched-together body holds poorly against fire)
No natural magic resistence (held together with magic, innate resistence would tear itself apart)
The second worst base stats in the game, next to the ghoul
Terrible aptitudes (not sure how terrible yet. At least -1 in all but select skills, and probably -2 in the majority. Also -5 stealth.)

Other negatives im unsure about adding:
Innate shouting mutation
Innate blurry vision mutation

The idea is a species which sorely needs to use most of its slot-enhancements just to cover its weaknesses, with an easy early game, an insanely difficult mid game, and will probably be one of the best species imaginable for late game if you're lucky with items/don't train all over place. Think of it like the opposite of a gnoll.

Jon Joe fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 14, 2018

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

Bad news on the abomination, guys.

The way octopedes are coded, their ring slots 'take up' the slots usually dedicated to other equipment, meaning I can't actually impliment 8 rings without either removing most the other slots (like octepedes) or completely rewriting the code that handles equipment slots (which I don't know how to do).

edit: I might have been dumb and found a fix. Maybe.

Jon Joe fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 16, 2018

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

In the adventures of programming an abomination, all my problems were caused by typing != instead of == at a single location.

!= != ==

Jon Joe fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 16, 2018

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

Alright, the abomination is now fully functional as described. Early game is a little harder than expected due to aptitudes, and there's a graphical bug where your rings won't show up on the character screen (but will still show up in your inventory and on the (P)ut and (R)remove menus), but otherwise everything works as intended! Beware orc wizards.

Floodkiller, do you just want me to submit a pull?

Jon Joe fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 16, 2018

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

Aptitudes should be tweaked, I'm sure. A good necro apt seems...

Apt.

It's already 0 which is good for this species.

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

Floodkiller posted:

Yeah, if you want to make a pull request, I can remember to include it in the next round of voting (warning: it might take a bit before we get to that depending on how long the remaining items for this version take). It will also run continuous integration on it, so you can check for any build errors that may not have popped up before.

Make sure you make the pull request against fork Floodkiller/crawl, branch gooncrawl. Don't accidentally submit it to mainline crawl!

I've sent that, plus another pull request with the Jivya zealot background from the 2.0 specifications. Let's get this thing done!

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

I had a similar issue not too recently, rune took forever to find. I ended up needing to go down to Abyss 7 to find the rune.

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

Min-delay is almost always the answer unless 1. It's with a weapon that deals so little damage that you can't get past enemy armor. 2. The non-min has signifigantly better brand/enchantment (if this was a fire, ice, or vampiric giant spiked club...)

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

It's actually dwarves that are a type of gnome.

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

That's a funny way to spell Axes.

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

I played around with a fighter type character I usually do and it was pretty trivial to cast every permabuff by equipping two rings of wizardry and then unequipping them. The only one I needed to train for was Ring of Fire.

Also, hello again! I could not for the life of me figure out how to rebase my commits for the abomination species, so I've just done away with the pull request until and unless people start clamoring for that silly 8-ring full armor badman species.

In other news, I think I'll try my hand at some unrandart changes and additions. At minimum I want to add the change from the main branch that turned the Vampire's Tooth from a +4 dagger of vampirism to a +12 quick blade of vampirism.

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

Saigyouji posted:

frankly the Crawl codebase terrifies me

Ah, finally, I've updated all the code related to X.

*code base screams at me*

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

Whatever Archeologist of Gozag and just keep splatting yourself until you get a godly unlock from the chest. Cheap and not intended by the main branch developers? That makes it all the better!

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

Abyss is definitely way easier than Vault 5. I also tend to do elf before vault if I have at least MR+++ since vaults have elves anyway.

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

I will never not tab.

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

someone awful. posted:

i'm pretty sure archaeologist, like jester and wanderer, would never be recommended for anyone because of how atypical a start it is?

Archaeologist rules actually it's the Demonspawn of classes

Just make sure to play it with something that has good weapon aps

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

tab mara or your character didn't deserve to win anyway

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

Tornado is a melee character's answer to zigg.

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

Araganzar posted:

So worth abandoning shields for this?
pre:
the +12 triple crossbow "Akoblip" {speed, *Corrode rN+ MR+ Int+4}

I'd abandon anything for this

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

Barachi is one of the easier races I've played. Their high skill aptitudes in just about anything you care to do more than makes up for being slow, and hop is Really Good.

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

holy moly im going to use all that poo poo

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

characters aren't real to me until I have a +12 greatsword of planet destruction and +20 crystal plate of "Tab".

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

Yeah I knew about the ring display bug when I made the abomination race; it requires a serious retooling of the hardcoded display and I am not up to the task.

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

What do you have against poor Fucku?

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

I'm trying to play gooncrawl on the servers and it's crashing instantly.

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

Floodkiller posted:

I hosed up in the last patch by forgetting to make a tag for older games before adding a player variable, so it's trying to unmarshal a variable from your save that doesn't exist. At this point I believe I've already hosed the save up so I don't think I can fix it by reverting, you may need to get it wiped.

How do I do that?

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

welcome posted:

Been playing random races as archaeologists and my first abomination turned into my first 15 runer! I don't know if RF-- and lowered MR is enough to balance out three arms and eight ring slots. Also, mummies are scary.
code:
17453393 welcome the Conqueror (level 27, 409/409 HPs)
             Began as an Abomination Archaeologist on Sept 11, 2019.
             Was the Champion of the Shining One.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Sept 13, 2019!

The game lasted 05:14:14 (88981 turns).

welcome the Conqueror (Abomination Archaeologist)  Turns: 88981, Time: 05:14:15

Health: 409/409    AC: 36    Str: 57    XL:     27
Magic:  37/37      EV: 12    Int: 11    God:    the Shining One [******]
Gold:   7915       SH: 35    Dex: 28    Spells: 43/44 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   a - +5 pair of quick blades {pierce, Dex+3}
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   x - +2 large shield {rC+}
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   e - +2 gold dragon scales
rPois    +         Spirit   .   G - +1 hat of the Pure Emperors {Str+8}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   Q - scarf {rC+ rF+}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   C - +4 pair of boots of the Assassin {Detection Stab+ Stlth++}
MR       +++++     Clarity  +   d - necklace of Bloodlust {*Rage +Rage MR++ Int-3 Slay+6 *Curse} (curse)
Stlth    ..........             (no ring)
HPRegen  1.18/turn              (no ring)
MPRegen  0.25/turn

@: berserking, glowing, very quick
A: tentacle arms, two strong arms, no magic resistence, amphibious, 8 rings,
molten scales 1, clarity, regeneration 1, electricity resistance, heat
vulnerability 2, MP-powered wands

Balance?

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

i don't care what your build is, you learn swiftness and never forget it

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

Quick port the vamp brand change to gooncrawl

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

Finally 15 runed an Abomination. Not sure why but killed like 20 in a row, every piece of artifact armour was -F, never found a ring with more than rF+. Ended up having to wear 4 rings of rF and gold dragon scales to get this one through, which made rounding out the other resists difficult. Ended up only having rM+++ but still squeaked through. Also weird thing, had horns mutation, didn't find a single hat (even +0) until halfway through Pan. Never was hoping for Gastronok more in a run I think. Going to try skeleton I think but maaaaaan that early game. Also think I'm really going to miss having 8 ring slots but no way I'm getting on that OcMo train again.

Must have been that secret luck penalty I programmed into Abominations

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I'm shocked how many of my games have included finding Wyrmbane, it's a hideously good weapon and 90% of the time warrants an almost instant swap to polearms.

On the other hand, I don't think I've ever stuck through a game with Short Blades. Stabber is by far my weakest playstyle, I think every time I try it I either learn (by dying to) some new bad habit I didn't realize I'd been carrying around since the Scumummy days, or I just switch to a 'normal' hybrid or blaster focus.

Gyre and Gimble is a very fun shortblade when paired with high slaying bonuses.

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

Tomb really is the hardest branch in the game, the only thing I consider more difficult is the tomb-themed floors of Zig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Joe
Oct 19, 2011

GUESS WHO'S LYING

Grimey Drawer

*laughs in gozag*