Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I gave up on Trunk when they removed rMut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Einwand posted:

I of course immediately killed that absurdly strong demonspawn on Azrael because I was feeling extremely lazy and tried to tab azrael to death instead of using one of many many many more effective options and got damnation'd into oblivion.

RIP +5 scale mail of Sexjokes.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

I think I'm done with crawl now. Just lost an incredibly strong FoFi in zot5 because I went around a corner and a lich walked onto an alarm trap, resulting in getting dogpiled. Survivable, sure, but then I get loving polymorphed into a bat by a killer klown, who also incidently is wielding throwing nets. Killed in literally 2 moves after that.

alarm traps, honestly, need removing.

You have to admit that's pretty funny though.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gnollcrawl is the Trunk dev's endgame.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The player doing damage isn't in our Design Philosophy.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

After all, we still live in the 80s and highscores are the only thing anyone plays games for.

This is why I name all of my characters "rear end".

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Doesn't Jiyva stat shuffling try to make all your stats equal, so that you're well-rounded, like a slime? I thought that's how it used to work...

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

By 2022 in trunk you just press O and then it tells you if you win or lose based on the win rates for your race and class from previous versions.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The whole point of stone soup is cooking a rock the fastest.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I, too, can only ascend melee dudes.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Maybe he shouldn't have taken it off... :thunk:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm actually okay with going completely foodless. Managing hunger didn't make Crawl any more fun and was mostly just a bunch of extra work. It also sucked having a bunch of inventory slots taken up by food.

Edit: I still miss the Labyrinth though... :sigh:

McGavin fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 11, 2020

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

PG-13 SEX DUNGEON posted:

The new Delver background is hillarious. You start on d:5, on staircase leading down, at clvl1, a (3) wand of digging, scroll of magic mapping, fear and fog, and a potion of haste. I have absolutely no idea how to play it.

Dig up, stupid.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

PG-13 SEX DUNGEON posted:

okay, not only has a delver been won already, a centaur delver has been won. Today. what the gently caress?

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Lightli/morgue-Lightli-20200714-040905.txt

You might have noticed earlier if you actually bothered reading what other people post in the thread:

the Orb of Zot posted:

Centaurs are dead. Farewell, most overpowered species of the game.

Fortunately, there was an incredibly small period of time between the addition of the delver background and removal of Centaurs as a playable species, allowing for me to do one last game and win what will almost certainly be the least played combo in crawl's history.

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Lightli/morgue-Lightli-20200714-040905.txt

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

What exactly is it that makes the current game "impossible to recommend"?

The devs, mostly.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:same:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's a Cubs baseball cap.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: Another bit of flavour gone...

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: Just a rock in some water

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

If you reach the Orb of Zot without a companion, you can only get the fake ending, try again with a friend.

I can't leave without my buddy Superfly!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

This water with a rock in it tastes pretty good.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

AverySpecialfriend posted:

How do you cast spells and not just die immediately on Vaults:5 lol

:hmmyes:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

People really don't give Operation Immolation enough credit for trivializing Vaults 5.

That's what I've been using, and it works great until I eventually get squashed by all the other monsters that are drawn in by the sounds of their friends exploding.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That is not the hypothetically optimal way to play.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Felids should be able to wear hats and capes.

Maybe also boots.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:rip:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The crawl devs really hate it when anybody plays this game.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Jazerus posted:

to use the stone soup metaphor, it's as if there is a group of soup managers who enjoy gnawing on a rock

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I haven't updated Crawl since 0.17.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Oh? So you just turn on the training of skills with good aptitudes? Too simple, boring, deleted.

In an effort to increase run-to-run variation, experiment with new interesting skill effects, while not increasing xp pressure, the new notion of a skill set is introduced. Only one type of skill from a set can generate normally in a given game. Currently there are two skill sets:

The defensive skill set: alternating between Armour and Evasion.
The offensive skill set: alternating between Spellcasting and Fighting.

Watch this space for future exciting skill sets!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Crawl Dev's hatred of the Hypothetical Optimal Man knows no limits.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Immediately after: Abyss is removed because it didn't make sense to keep without a corresponding deity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

death cob for cutie posted:

like Killer Klowns turning you into a pig when you're like 99% through with a five rune game

That is pretty funny though.