Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
So after being away from crawl for maybe a year or more, I got in the mood again and decided to play a game. Decide to go with an Octopode Assassin.

D1 goes fine. D2 I step into a teleport trap and find myself facing a D2 Centaur. Not to worry, as I avoid him and run immediately into Robin, and turn around again to find Sigmund.

gently caress you too Crawl. Good to be back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Oh hey an Orc Wizard can double tap an attack with a dagger of Electrocution. And it can deal 24 damage in a single hit.

Check those glowing weapons.

Edit: in the biggest brain move, I died to the Blork the Orc's hand axe of execution on my very next character.

Dee Ehm fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 20, 2018

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Hadn't played in years, decided to start a new account and try my hand at it again, and I've got a Gnoll Skald of Ashenzari that is going off right now. I have so many spells and options at my disposal that it's hard to know what to focus on in fights and what spells / items / strategies I'm neglecting. I'm two runes in, trying to decide whether to go for Slime, Vaults or Abyss. It's been a strange game with 33 different shops spawning (plus THREE bazaars!), I've mostly been using Spectral Weapon, BVC and Mana Viper / Shadow Creatures to shove my way through the game, but I know my defenses aren't great and I'm nervous I'm gonna get myself killed doing something stupid.

Here's the moruge as it stands currently. Any advice?

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
code:
3203821 Jerker the Acrobat (level 27, 237/237 HPs)
             Began as a Gnoll Skald on June 2, 2019.
             Was the Champion of Ashenzari.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 5 runes on June 3, 2019!

The game lasted 06:51:04 (70790 turns).
Good game to come back to Crawl with. Borg's Vile Clutch is a nutty spell, Shadow Creatures was even better than I remembered it, and wow Gnolls are able to blast and melee at the same time a lot better than I'd expect. Only a few really scary parts in the game, an early Bailey where I took on an Orc Warlord for an exp pot and acquirement scroll, getting dropped directly into an abyssal rune vault with giant eyeballs and eyes of draining and friends behind grates, and getting Alarm trapped in the Orb Chamber itself. Dispersal traps and Killer Klowns make things way more dangerous than before. I got pig-formed and silenced, with the only way out of the lung being over a dispersal trap that would just teleport me back. I can't imagine how you'd deal with that as a pure wizard or if you didn't have cancellation or something.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
I'm picking up the game again after a while and playing Trunk, and I got a wild character to start off with, a HOMo who found within the first couple floors of the game an unenchanted Crystal Plate Armor, and this

quote:

+10 hunting sling of Eciqokh {flame, *Slow rF+++ rCorr SInv}

I decided to switch to start training slings because wow that's an excellent randart, but happened to notice when trying to figure out what god to take in Temple that apparently heavy armor and slings conflict with each other? I'm eating an extra turn on every attack with it.

Not sure what direction to take the character then. Are slings a trap and should I just stick to pumping my strength and going Makhleb or Beogh or something in heavy armor, or is this worth going with?

https://pastebin.com/SXyF7CWg

Pastebin for the character, just arrived in Temple and decided that this is where I need to figure out what to make this character into. I could really go in any direction.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Ended up leaving the hunting sling behind, while going slings sounded fun I really want to start building up a better win-rate first.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Jerker/morgue-Jerker-20220501-191331.txt

quote:

Jerker the Champion of Chaos (Hill Orc Monk) Turns: 67201, Time: 04:13:13

HP: 155/262 (273) AC: 45 Str: 24 XL: 27
MP: 40/40 EV: 13 Int: 10 God: Makhleb [******]
Gold: 7611 SH: 0 Dex: 16 Spells: 26/26 levels left

rFire + + . SeeInvis . S - +6 executioner's axe (vamp)
rCold + + . Faith + (shield currently unavailable)
rNeg . . . Spirit . h - +8 crystal plate armour
rPois + Reflect . V - +1 hat {Will+}
rElec . Harm + G - +4 dragonskin cloak
rCorr . Rampage + v - +1 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
Will ++++. W - +1 pair of boots {rampage}
Stlth .......... k - amulet "Xawiw" {Faith Harm rC++ Regen+ Dex-4}
HPRegen 1.33/turn n - ring of protection from fire
MPRegen 0.27/turn t - ring of protection from fire

@: lightly drained
A: deformed body, strong-willed 1, passive freeze, poison resistance
0: Orb of Zot
}: 4/15 runes: barnacled, slimy, silver, gossamer
a: Renounce Religion, Minor Destruction, Lesser Servant of Makhleb, Major
Destruction, Greater Servant of Makhleb

very solid win, had some decent artefact rings but those rings were my only source or rF+ besides that old sling so I was using them in Zot. Nearly died to a shaft into Sojobo and Mara in Vaults, and to a pair of Orbs of Fire in Zot 5.

Couldn't believe my luck just waltzing into a vamp Exec axe. That + Makhleb heals made it very hard not to just glaze my eyes over and tab through everything from then on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

Best randart I've ever seen. I'm almost considering taking my TrBe to polearms for this bad boy.

I know it's the wrong decision but jeez that's good.

EDIT: Stepped down stairs was completely surrounded by Azrael, 3 hell hounds, and four fire elementals. Died. :rip:

Dee Ehm fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 3, 2022