Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pathetic.
Awful Games Done Quick 2018 Survivor

Always eat the purple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pathetic.

Internet Kraken posted:

When I said it didn't feel fair, Gammafunk told me that 170 or something people had gotten the golden rune, so it was clearly fine. Also there's no problem with Tomb being harder, because its extended!

I'm just so defeated. I thought finally coming back for my 100th win would be a grand and meaningful venture but it ended in bitter tears. And yeah, "just play gooncrawl", well call it stupid but I care about my online stat page. It gave me goals to work towards. I liked tournaments and the challenges they gave to me. There are incentives to play regular Crawl over Goon Crawl that kept me going back to it, but at this point its not worth it anymore.

I might try doing small things for Gooncrawl just for fun. I know this sounds insanely stupid but it was a little dream of mine to one day make content for this game. No idea where I would even start with that though, I know fuckall about coding.

I mean, keep playing trunk if you're desperate for sweet online stats, but play gooncrawl if you want to actually have fun

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pathetic.

bad crawl devs posted:

Scroll of brand armour

Among other problems, boots of running far outstrip any other armour brand, and having this scroll would just mean that you dump it into every pair of boots you find, and usually don't get running anyway (because it's rare). We might as well just increase frequency of boots of running, rather than adding this new item.

The obvious response of "just don't let players get boots of running via branding, brand armor sounds fun though, might be neat for people who desperately need rpois or the like" seems to have missed them entirely

it's the perfect example of them zeroing in on min-maxing competitive play and not thinking for even a second about the benefits of a thing before discarding it

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pathetic.

Re: Permabuffs:

maybe combine some ideas: extra MP taken is increased by some amount proportional to failure rate, until you reach some failure % threshold (say, 30%), after which you just get the buff as usual?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pathetic.

PMush Perfect posted:

Good loving Christ, there's seven levels of this literally-constantly-respawning enemies poo poo?

Abyss has up to 27 levels

I had to dive to Abyss 19 to get the rune, on my most recent three runer

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pathetic.

Cardiovorax posted:

That might be a bit too low. In my post I suggested 90% as the cutoff point, which I usually consider the point at which a spell is becomes reliably combat-castable, but I'm open to suggestions. It's really more about stopping shenanigans like Mr. D:2 Scissorhands up there than anything.

Personally I feel like ~20-30 is where I start just waiting and wasting time until it succeeds, the elimination of which is the best part of permabuffs, though I usually don't combat cast since I dislike the playstyle, and your point there is very much valid

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pathetic.

Cardiovorax posted:

What if spell level factored into it? Let's say instead we make it 20% base cutoff plus SL * 10% (up to a maximum of 90%) instead and leave everything else as suggested. At low levels and for weak buffs, it probably won't affect you much, but once you get in the realm of spells like Blade Hands, a minimum 70% base success chance before MP reduction kicks in seems like a fair compromise to me.

I like this! I'm not proficient enough at the game to determine the best possible numbers to use, but this seems like a good way to both allow for out of combat buffs that you'd tediously apply to be permanent, without making it too easy (as it currently seems to be) to help yourself *in* combat

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pathetic.

Or you could be my lava orc fighter and just descend because you keep killing things and want an exit when things get hairy, and it appears under you each time

And then spawn 5 spaces from the rune inside the runevault

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pathetic.

PMush Perfect posted:

I didn't know Crawl had PVP.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pathetic.

Malmutate is terrible and should never return

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pathetic.

I really donít think malmutate adds anything to the game beyond being a rng check on how many cure mutation potions (or mutation for the newer set) you find

And it actively makes the joy of eating the purple worse since you end up curing the fun stuff along with, like, your berserkitis

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pathetic.

Maybe keep malmutate gone from everything because it adds a random chance to gently caress you over and no actual complexity, even for per-fight mutations

However!

If we restricted hypothetical temp malmutates to small lists you could do fun things with specific enemies causing specific subsets of temporary debuff mutations, because now itís a known quantity and can be planned for

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pathetic.

I love mutation god

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pathetic.

i like labyrinths as a change of pace, and I'm ALWAYS in favor of more cool portals

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pathetic.

I love labyrinths, personally

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pathetic.

tylertfb posted:

Purely aesthetic idea: Add the Jory Death Blood Explosion effect to the Bloodbane sword.

yessss

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pathetic.

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Hey all. If I have no experience with Dungeon Crawl at all (but a touch of experience with roguelikes) will Gooncrawl make sense to jump on into or do I need to play DCSS first to understand the mechanics in the fork?

gooncrawl has very similar mechanics and the same complete lack of a functional and thorough tutorial, but gooncrawl is more fun and a bit less punishing, so you can just start in gooncrawl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pathetic.

Haifisch posted:

The cool kids have their rc files set to autobutcher and also autoeat chunks.

hell yeah