Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Tried my first game of GoonCrawl, it went well, I had a decent armor class.

Used an exec axe of freezing mainly. Also had bloodlust with the clarity mutation which made me think about going Oka or TSO and getting more runes but I didn't have great resist gear and I would have had a lot of single pips with some missing ones.

quote:

1847565 araganzar the Axe Maniac (level 27, 300/300 HPs)
Began as a Lava Orc Berserker on Mar 26, 2019. Was the Champion of Trog.
Escaped with the Orb... and 3 runes on Mar 27, 2019!
The game lasted 04:25:23 (68475 turns).

araganzar the Axe Maniac (Lava Orc Berserker) Turns: 68475, Time: 04:25:23

Health: 300/300 AC: 86 Str: 45 XL: 27
Magic: 35/35 EV: 23 Int: 13 God: Trog [******]
Gold: 979 SH: 28 Dex: 14 Spells: 26/26 levels left

rFire + . . SeeInvis . I - +8 mithril axe "Arga" {speed, MR+}
rCold + . . Gourm . O - +3 shield {AC+3}
rNeg . . . Faith . F - +14 crystal plate armour
rPois + Spirit . s - +3 helmet "Jychivu" {+Blink rElec rPois Dex-5}
rElec + Reflect + U - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr . Harm . p - +2 pair of gloves {Str+3}
MR ++++. Clarity + D - +2 pair of boots
Stlth .......... x - brooch of Shielding {Reflect SH+9}
HPRegen 0.60/turn Y - ring "Manyny" {rC+ AC+5 Str+3}
MPRegen 0.24/turn n - ring "Bololo" {rPois AC+6 Str+4 Dex+3 Slay-4}

Some thoughts:
- new spellbook logic is really good
- having wand of haste again is really good
- BOULDER BEETLES
- what is this healing harp? it looked like a trap, refused to use it

Anything new and cool in spells? Probably try a caster or transmuter next...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

World Famous W posted:

Virulence was added added as a player spell so Poison stays viable the whole game now instead of being an exp trap.

I wish I was just in the mood to play crawl again because of all the hard work put into gooncrawl so far. Mood will hit me eventually.

Oh wow, that's frigging awesome. Is there anything in the early-game toolset to handle poison resistant or immune creatures?

I can feel you on the playing, I wanted to play/help with gooncrawl but I got moved into a very unpleasant situation at work and it was a long time between even spectating games for me. I'd like to get 12 more wins in the regular game but it's actually nice to play gooncrawl and not have it show up on my PERMANENT RECORD.

Speaking of:

someone awful. posted:

if you want an easy caster start, faerie dragon is straight-up busted. their free level 1/cheaper in general spells and zero spell hunger let you blast your way through the early game and their crazy +2 in all spells aptitudes will carry you through most of the game. downside is no robe of the archmage, but there are worse flaws to have

This is what I did, fire elementalist, feels like a dark elf that started with a massive AC and EV boost. I found Vehumet at temple and Book of Conjurations, Staff of Power, and Staff of Conjuration on D7 so I have no excuse not to win. I'm tearing up Lair but the way Battlesphere works now is confusing to my unfrozen cavegoon brain. I mean it's killing hydra with flame tongue but I'm constantly seeing it gone, casting it, then it tells me I just turned it off. I guess it's like a constant buff now because all people ever did when it dropped was recast it?

edit: wait, does that 1 mp reduction stack with Vehumet? If it doesn't I guess I messed up? If it does then having a staff of power early is like phhhbblblblblblllt....

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 28, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

Ah, alright. Well, that's still a useful thing to have, so I'm all for it anyway. Or even just coloring your AC blue or something like that. Every spell should have some kind of indicator that it is affecting you.

Yeah I had no idea regen was a permabuff now. Ask me about casting it 3-4x in a row after fights until chat asked me what the hell I was doing. It would also be nice to see how much MP you have reserved, like 47 (53/58) or something.

I did like that I could amnesia Battlesphere and then leave it up for the next 3 branches. Kept RMSL up, I guess as long as you don' t drink cancellation or get zapped by a quicksilver dragon you could cast it and forget it, too.

Game needs more amnesia options for non-Sif casters IMO. Vehumet the SC and level-reserving required doubles down on the difficulty for low-apt SC species. It seems reasonable to offer alternative methods for forgetting spells with an appropriate cost. You'd still have those decisions about keeping spell levels open or overtraining SC but they wouldn't be such a gigantic pain in the crabhole. Could be drain status, permanent skill loss, stat drain, or it could take a long time. Previously this was "lose a probably good book" which was hit or miss but it did mean I could mem a spell from a book knowing if I had to I could forget it.

Battlesphere is still basically a win button, Faerie Dragon probably needs the initial AC and SH bonus adjusted. The new Iskly's Undoing spell is pretty crazy, I pretty much turned Elf into Harrenhal with that. The combo of restore ability potions existing and OOFs doing stat drain made Zot 5 considerably easier as a caster.

I guess I'm going to try a hermit crab next, any advice for those? They seem mainly a melee class, not sure what new spells would make a particular caster start worthwhile.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

Having a finite amount of spells is actually a very good&fun limiting factor that almost every caster will at come across at some point. Hyrbids grabbing mid level util spells, blasty mages having to pick&choose which booms they want as they are all so expensive, and just putting a cap on a Wizard's toolbox.

This. I'm not proposing eliminating this mechanic from the game. With regards to my previous comments, Vehumet's supposed to offer interesting choices via limited-time gifts. Outside of Vehumet there's an interesting interaction between your skill training and spell set.

I feel like I want to see them as often as remove curse. Drops are supposed to generate novelty. My new game as a hermit crab I put on cursed +0 ring mail on D1 and didn't find a remove curse scroll until D8. Was unable to equip any new weapons. That was an interesting challenge. Oka gifting distortion weapons, which I totally forgot about, means now I am rocking a glaive at -2 apt instead of a dtrident. Having a disto weapon in your hand instantly creates some interesting choices with some interesting outcomes and also complicates the decision to equip a weapon in the first place.

Core crawl has a stable of competitive and active players who care about score, care about their huge investment in learning the game, and are both currently and historically highly influential with the development team. The development team members are overall huge fans of draconian feature parsimony. Basically a crawl dev is like little Brad Pitt in A River Runs Through It and every time he runs up to daddy to give him a commit daddy gives it back and tells him to write it again but with two more features taken out.

Floodkiller operates with a "first, do no harm" principle with regards to features which I think is more appropriate to this audience. Goons want to have fun. I think about it as a tabletop rpg like D&D. How much do you like for your Dungeon Master to be a rules lawyer?

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 29, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Why, why is this on by default:
code:
70ed36a | Shmuale Mark | 2016-10-25 23:13:28 -0400

For trunk, make webtiles mouse control on by default.
Don't cherry-pick this.
This didn't used to work this way or the rc I was using had it false on every single server. Just died in Zot 5, ran into 4 OOD at once, was healing waiting for teleport and Einwand popped into chat to see what was up.
Clicked on the screen to turn off chat and my guy started moving diagonally with 3 OOD on me. :negative:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

It's terrible and one of many reasons why the first thing I do in a new server is copy my rcfile over.

Yeah it's NBD not like it goes into my PERMANENT RECORD stats. I got to play 90% of a Hermit Crab Skald and try out all the new permabuffs so I feel like I've done a caster, melee, and hybrid in Gooncrawl. It would have been a 3-streak and that would have encouraged me to play carefully next game which I hate doing.

Floodkiller, thanks for the quick attention on the buffs and amnesia, next time I logged in I could see Inf and Spec on my buffs.

The way the buffs work is really cool, removes so much tedium (cast regen 10x in a row much?), lets you trade off lowering MP pool since you aren't casting for damage. Really well done. Had spec weapon up on at start of D2 in ring mail. I wound up running Song of Slaying for most of mid-game through depths, I found in almost every case having +9 slaying was a good trade-off for making noise.

Honestly, I had absolutely terrible luck with Oka, found my cloaks on the floor and Tiamat, had to get crystal plate from a scroll and a dtrident off Mara. Still didn't really have any issues so I'd say it's a strong start. Spec Weapon is strong as hell and even easier to get and keep up early (20-30% failure). The big sting of early skald is being in light armor until Lair and -6 EV and +2 APT made that no issue. The lack of gloves, boots and hat is something one might not notice until one is facing down multiple OOFs.

I thought I would share a shot of polearm positioning with spec weapon. Polearms really are the best because not only can you position so they are safe they also don't waste nearly as many turns moving.

Here was my setup for Elf3:

This lets you attack one enemy at a time and lets your polearm hit too. Polearm can only be hit by missiles/bolts. If you have to move out or you already have your weapon up, just move one more in and then back to get it behind you. Ideally you dig behind you with disint if you are fighting anything that can blink. With the new permabuff it's easier since the weapon will spawn behind you when you hit an enemy.

If you are where I am in elf3 it's imperative to not peek your head out and let an elementalist see you. Once they do they are going to break out the wrecking ball.

With a non-polearm you would do the same but instead of digging up and left you would dig the two squares marked with a red line instead. Then you sit on the rightmost. That way only 2 enemies can see your weapon and only one enemy can see you.

To position an existing weapon, move in up right then move left and right so you can position your weapon out of the way of incoming enemies.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Bug report: skellington swivel gaze of ire is turning off skill training targets. If you are training Armor to 6 and Reap takes it above 6 it will turn off armor training.

Also, welcome to D2!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

This should fix it.

Also, please post if WebTiles is suddenly broken tomorrow as that means I screwed up a patch to display your total MP when you have MP reserved (which worked everywhere but WebTiles already).

Looks good, and hey, what's this:

quote:

There is an entrance to Ciphea's Book Shoppe here.
You pick up a book of Burglary and begin reading...
You add the spells Passage of Golubria and Darkness to your library.
A scroll of amnesia falls out of the book!
You pick up a book of Dreams and begin reading...
You add the spells Ensorcelled Hibernation, Borgnjor's Vile Clutch, Silence and
Time Stop to your library.
A scroll of amnesia falls out of the book!
Thank you for shopping at Ciphea's Book Shoppe!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I'm taking a Skellington through Hell, currently not wearing Hat of the Alchemist or amulet of Four Winds because that's how bad skeletons need regen.
http://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/araganzar/araganzar.txt

Need a good exec axe, bardiche, or a good large shield trying Tartarus now since it has good loot. Dispel undead scares me but Ereshkigal should be okay if I can clear the Tzitzimitl. With 164 hp, no heals, and eating dispel undeads no idea how I would do gloorx or probably pan because of black stars and random pan lords. edit: yeah and silence doesn't work on Tizitzimitl....may have to bail. Might die.

As a mummy I would solve this with glaciate or LCS. Have 2 +4 exec axes I've burned a ton of brand weapon scrolls on trying to get chopping flaming or freezing.

Apported the Cocytus rune then had to tport away. Decided to come back and try out the martial stance since why the gently caress not someone has to test this crap out.

quote:

78289 | Coc:7 | Noticed Antaeus
78406 | Coc:7 | Got an icy rune of Zot
78756 | Coc:7 | Killed Antaeus

Stance pretty good, the damage shaving is real. Where would I find the particulars? So far it looks like it adds about XL/5 skill to heroisim traits and maybe gives damage shaving based on XL same as for DD?

edit: yah that was was a really bad idea. Hit by dispel undead for 72 then 78. What's funny is my spec weapon didn't come back. Still, fun game. Probably need to have the exec axe going for Tartarus but I think it would be hard regardless. But I wanted to see how they performed. I've never had to really deal with dispel undead before, always had heard it was serious business.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 30, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Relatedly, does anyone have any tips on how to get into necromancy? I've tried a couple times but I'm never sure how hybridized I'm supposed to be, which gods synergize, etc. The most obvious candidates actually seem kinda at odds with using necromancy yourself.

The classic way is to hybrid, go kiku, and take advantage of the pain weapon. Pain brand is best on a fast weapon (aka quick blade) and summons distract so stabber / enchanter is quite good. Vamp Touch offers a method to finish after stabs. Can also go pure melee and use vamp touch to face tank better.

Gozag reasons:

quote:

10539 | D:5 | Bought the +8 lance "Wyrmbane" {slay drac, rPois rF+ rC+ AC+3} for 1131 gold piece

edit: Probably would be best if this wasn't a possible result for a OpAr:

quote:

You have an epiphany! The dusty tome is a manual of Armour! Reading it may be key to unlocking the crate...

Yeah, gonna have a tough time with that, game.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 31, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

someone awful. posted:

it'll give you a good hat or (i assume is possible) shield

It will give a species who can train Armor a good hat or shield! But when I try to read it page one says WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU ARE AN OCTOPODE YOU CAN'T WEAR ARMOR CLOSE THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

gently caress, Wyrmblade that early sounds amazing. I've never gotten it in it's newer form where it powers up - are there any early game draconians that it'll proc off of? Mottled dragons is the earliest I can think of, but they're still rather rare.

There used to be a mottled draconian; it was removed in .20. Also, if one +18 item is good, two +18 items has to be better, right?

quote:

20531 | Orc:2 | Bought the +18 shield of the Gong {rElec rN+ MR+ EV-5} for 1556 gold pieces

Gong is a legit strat for Snake:4, Vaults:5, and Zot:5. Difficult to employ in Elf:3 thanks to diggers but if you employ it I guarantee you wan't have many surprises when you go in.

Won this game, decent artefacts:
pre:
             Escaped with the Orb... and 4 runes on Mar 31, 2019!
              The game lasted 05:25:10 (71020 turns).
Health: 231/231    AC: 39    Str: 21    XL:     27
Magic:  34/34      EV: 30    Int: 24    God:    Gozag
Gold:   748        SH: 34    Dex: 30    Spells: 2/49 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   s - +18 lance "Wyrmbane" {slay drac, rPois rF+ rC+ AC+3}
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   F - +18 shield of the Gong {rElec rN+ MR+ EV-5}
rNeg     + + .     Faith    .   Z - +8 fire dragon scales
rPois    +         Spirit   .   Y - +0 mask of the Dragon {MR+ Slay+3 SInv}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   X - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   e - +0 pair of fencer's gloves {+Riposte Dex+3}
MR       ++++.     Clarity  +   (boots unavailable)
Stlth    +.........NoTele   +   d - amulet "Hamirph" {Regen+ Str-3 Dex+2 Slay+2}
HPRegen  0.88/turn              W - ring "Rephej" {-Tele rElec rF+ rN+ Int+5}
MPRegen  0.24/turn              M - ring "Mehanoos" {rPois rC+ AC+3 Dex+2}
12 polearms left a lot of XP, I got Necromancy up for Borgnor's then I found Infestation on Z:2. Infestation is a spell that lets you watch bugs chase down and beat up OOFs like they are slow old men just trying to cross the street. Also if you are Gozag gold goes flying everywhere when scarabs burst out of people's chests. So use this spell if you want another 10k turns on your score from auto-pickup.

Does anyone know about Blade of Disaster? Vehumet has offered it to my octopode with Glaive of the Guard. I read the commits and it looks like it creates a Fulminant Prism maybe next to the monster? Is it a permabuff? Can you self-own with it?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Here, putting the idea in game terms:
- Claws 3
- Really good unarmed apt
- good Earth magic
- good transmutation

:hmmyes: :honked:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

The question then is why not just give them the Camouflage mutation.

Burrow ability, applies invis and root. You have to break it to move. Maybe if they walk by you you can break it to stab.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Toalpaz posted:

I've actually managed to get a ez MiFi through Shoals and Snake and through to Vault 4. I hear Vault 5 can get real bad because they basically drop you in the middle of a big fight. While normally I'd be confident about that I see that it can spawn Liches/Necromancers and the only people actually scaring me now are people casting Torment and rapidly depleting my HP.

For a fully melee character, with rC and ac 30 and all that good stuff, do you think it's less risky to do Slime and stair dance without being worried about Torment?

As a MiFi before your third rune you should in plate or dragon armour and your AC/EV should be like 40+/30+ or 50+/20+.

Listen to Aston. Run Depths, maybe Crypt, get better defenses. Hit # in game for a game dump and post it here and you can get better advice. Depths are a good indication of if you are ready for your third rune.

Your third rune will generally be Slime, Abyss, or Vaults 5 based on your gear. All three places are newbie traps and the defenses/resists they require are highly situational. The main difference is Slime if things go poorly you can generally escape with 1-2 blink scrolls and there's only one tough fight. Vaults and Abyss you're locked in and you're not getting out without a very large axe or a very disarming personality.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Toalpaz posted:

Ouch, lol I knew rE+ was important to look out for but just died to a couple of cyan ugly things whoops. Probably could have retreated earlier but it really only took it like 5 turns to murder me.

If you are going to die, read blink, then tport if you have to. Ugly things are fast so you can't run, there is a change you will get hit on the first step, even with your boots of running you can get caught when energy randomization gives your enemy an extra turn.

Your skilling and gear choices look fine. Looks like Oka gifted you a hand crossbow, a spear, a mace, a -3 shield, boots of running, and an int cloak. And your Orc shops must have sucked.

Only mistake here is not keeping your resistances in mind at all times post-Lair. Other idle thoughts:
- you had un-ided potions and scrolls of identify
- probably better to wear rpois rn+ ring than rc with rc+ already in play.
- if you ever find yourself wielding distort again it's probably best to risk abyssal and remove it
- using a shield is a trap, never use a shield until you've won 3 games

Probably the best advice to a pure melee is to train your chosen weapon almost exclusively. Generally you want to do this until you are at or close to at minimum delay. If your attack speed is over 1.000 you should have to be able to write a 17 page thesis documenting any time you aren't putting 100% of your xp into your weapon.

If your fighting and armor are under 5 maybe bring them up when your weapon hits 10. Until then every point of xp you put into something else except maybe fighting reduces your survival. Nothing is more important than attacking faster than your enemy. Nothing. If your grandma calls and needs to get to the hospital tell her you will be there when you are attacking at 0.9.

I see people going in at XL3 and turning on 5 skills and I'm like "i hope that extra point of AC is a comfort when a hydra bites you 14 times between swings"

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 1, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Practical Uses of Singularity

Pt 1: Initialization

quote:

Ignacio, Master of Excruciating Pain comes into view. He is wielding an
_executioner's axe of pain.
Space collapses on itself with a satisfying crunch.
You hear a hideous shriek! You hear a screech!
Something bleats, "I will devour thy liver!"
You hear a shout! x2
Ignacio hits your singularity with an executioner's axe of pain!!
Ignacio hits your singularity with an executioner's axe of pain!
Ignacio hits your singularity with an executioner's axe of pain!! x2
Ignacio looks at his axe, then at you, then at his axe, then at you...
Ignacio hits your singularity with an executioner's axe of pain.
_Ignacio hits your singularity with an executioner's axe of pain! x3
You conjure a mighty blast of ice!
The great icy blast engulfs your singularity.
Your singularity partially resists.
The singularity is flash-frozen. The great icy blast engulfs Ignacio.
Ignacio partially resists. Ignacio is flash-frozen.
You hear a shout! You hear a trumpeting! You hear a roar! You hear a bellow!
You hear a roar! You hear a shout!
_Ignacio is engulfed in freezing vapours.

Pt 2: Repositioning

quote:

Your singularity implodes!
Space collapses on itself with a satisfying crunch.
Ignacio gestures.
Ignacio seems to speed up.
Ignacio hits your singularity with an executioner's axe of pain!!
Ignacio hits your singularity with an executioner's axe of pain.
Ignacio hits your singularity with an executioner's axe of pain!
_Ignacio hits your singularity with an executioner's axe of pain!!
A raging storm of fire appears!
The great blast of fire engulfs Ignacio.
Ignacio partially resists.
The great blast of fire engulfs your singularity.
Your singularity partially resists.
_Ignacio is engulfed in blazing flames. The singularity twists Ignacio apart!
Ignacio is engulfed in blazing flames. x2
_The singularity twists Ignacio apart!
Ignacio is nearby!
A raging storm of fire appears!
The great blast of fire engulfs Ignacio.
Ignacio partially resists.
You kill Ignacio!

Singularities are tough! Holy crap!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Game is crashing every like tenth kill in Tomb, seems to be on creatures that have death curses.

Reflection actually doesn't save you a single point of damage. It only triggers when it would have blocked a ranged attack. You might get lucky and kill what's shooting at you which is nice but almost any other brand offers better survivability. Can be super handy in vaults and shoals though, for sure.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah, well I took off my idiot hat and actually looked in morgue and there's these files called crash-(playername).txt

In all of my crashes this is the last lines output:
code:
You destroy the mummy priest!
Zin accepts your kill.
You feel extremely nervous for a moment...
Don't know if it's priests specifically, but those are definitely not the first/only mummy priests killed on the level. I speculate it's one of the death curse effects specifically as Araganzar states. It's also not Slow interacting with the Formicid stasis because the log has previous entries trying that without crashing.

This is the same flavor text as I get on my crashes. This is the item curse, and none of my items are cursed although I've killed quite a few mummy priests. So I suspect the item curse code is what's triggering the crash. Basically these priests are like Tom Cruise in The Day After Tomorrow and when they die they reset the world to when you saved or entered the level. Quite a nice trick if one can manage to pull it off.

Here's one of of the crash files: https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/araganzar/crash-araganzar-20190402-021250.txt

edit: never mind, it's just inflicting a necromancy miscast in the current code so there's probably one that crashes the game, possibly every time it triggers.

PMush Perfect posted:

Try playing a Long blades + Greatshield Formicid with Reflection. You can just wait through fights, it's amazing.

Riposte requires no skill too so if you find a +8 great sword on D2 as a mage go ahead and wield it while you cast.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 2, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
by like Tom Cruise I of course mean they are weird, ancient, short, and animated by the forces of an insane cult.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

It's okay, I won, I don't imagine there's tons of traffic in Tomb now that I'm done turning mummies into highly compressed matter:

pre:
10527437 araganzar the Ninja (level 27, 291/291 HPs)
             Began as an Octopode Archaeologist on Mar 31, 2019.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet. 
             Escaped with the Orb   ... and 15 runes on Apr 2, 2019!
             The game lasted 18:54:07 (165502 turns).

araganzar the Ninja (Octopode Archaeologist)      Turns: 165502, Time: 18:54:07

Health: 291/291    AC: 36    Str:  7    XL:     27
Magic:  66/66      EV: 39    Int: 51    God:    Vehumet [******]
Gold:   10747      SH: 20    Dex: 22    Spells: 0/80 levels left

rFire    + + .     SeeInvis +   w - +7 Spriggan's Knife {stab, MR+ EV+4 Dex+4 Stlth+}
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   I - +3 warlock's mirror {reflect}
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   m - +0 mask of the Dragon {MR+ Slay+3 SInv}
rPois    ∞         Spirit   .   i - amulet "Maogukau" {Reflect Int+5 SH+6}
rElec    +         Reflect  +   R - ring of Makhleb's Condemnation {Wiz rElec MR+ MP+9 Str-3}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   E - ring of Gousaq {rC+ MR++ Int+3}
MR       +++++                  P - ring of Dacegom {rF- rN+ MR+ MP+9 Int+3, HAS RF-!}
Stlth    ++++......             t - ring "Mampa" {+Fly rElec Str+6 Dex+4}
HPRegen  1.58/turn              f - ring "Umyigim" {+Fly rF+ rC++ Str-3 SInv}
MPRegen  0.40/turn              s - ring "Yfatuze" {rPois rN+ Int+4 Slay+2}
                                M - ring "Bibbuevu" {rCorr rF++ Str-4 Int+4}
                                S - ring "Naasuc" {rC+ rN+ MP+9}
Crazy game. Started as Archaelogist, got Glaive of the Guard which in Gooncrawl is a +8 protection with 8AC and Clarity, rCorr, +berserk, and Sinv). Went Gozag, trained up polearms then did spell skills while I leaned on the Glaive to get them going. Starting Shoals I realized I needed vehumet support and mana return and switched.

This was a mistake. Holy crap. When they say gozag occasionally buffs enemies it means EVERY FIGHT with 2+ monsters the toughest guy on screen will get berserked if melee only or hasted if has abilities. And this lasts for 2 XL levels, no wrath reduction for action, so if you do this at XL17 your life will be HELL. Imagine spider where every fight a wolf spider is in your face instantly hitting berserk with +50% hit points.

Anyway, survived that, worked up to L9 spells then got Singularity. Spent about 30k turns in Pan looking for Necromutation and finally just bailed and did Statue Form which worked for Tomb and Tartarus. In retrospect probably should have kept struggling and playing carefully with Gozag for a while longer as the wrath was brutal and after I got practically no ring upgrades from Shoals 1 until my first Zig.

I wanted to give the game a good test and try out all the L9 spells and Singularity is great, cast it almost 300 times. It will be staple in any caster extended due to the fact that you're getting cblink anyway.

I'm trying Archaelogist now on a melee but I played a Naga and got The Singing Sword, which does AMAZING all-screen damage (cleared orc before lair in like 5 minutes) but is not the best long term solution for a naga that can't run.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Wow apparently Xom can straight up kill you with no tension and at full hits. I didn't think that was possible.

pre:
 27 araganzar the Ducker (level 2, -6/13 HPs)
             Began as a Spriggan Jester on Apr 3, 2019.
             Was a Follower of Nemelex Xobeh.
             Killed by the capriciousness of Xom (19 damage)
             ... on level 2 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 00:07:24 (1739 turns).
I guess maybe because you start with wrath and wrath doesn't follow the same rules?

I'd found a frigging book of misfortune too. On D2. Was going to have invisibility online by Lair. :negative:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

Punk, it's a fustibalus. Does 2d4 acid damage on top of normal sling damage and corrodes.
A nice find for slingers.

Nice find for anyone! I got it on this guy late game and it was still crushing stuff in Depths and Zot. Killing Draconians in 3-4 shots and when they get there they are all corroded to poo poo...

pre:
2353336 araganzar the Slayer (level 27, 285/285 HPs)
             Began as a Naga Archaeologist on Apr 2, 2019.
             Escaped with the Orb... and 4 runes on Apr 3, 2019!

araganzar the Slayer (Naga Archaeologist)          Turns: 74499, Time: 04:21:38

Health: 285/285    AC: 53    Str: 37    XL:     27
Magic:  22/28      EV: 36    Int: 19    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   4660       SH: 34    Dex: 24    Spells: 17/32 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   a - +10 broad axe of Husarr {venom, Str+3 Int+3}
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   B - +8 large shield {rC+}
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   R - +10 chain mail of Generosity {MR++ Regen+ Int-2}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   p - +0 hat "Qutiyw" {Regen+ Int+3}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   J - +1 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth--}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   K - +2 pair of gloves {archery}
MR       +++++     Clarity  +   I - +4 naga barding {rF+}
Stlth    +.........             x - amulet of the Four Winds {rN+ MR+++ Clar}
HPRegen  2.37/turn              W - ring "Camizok" {rC+ rN+ Dex+6}
MPRegen  0.21/turn              N - ring "Imor" {rElec rF+ rN+ Str+4 Stlth+}

redneck nazgul posted:

Main fork of Crawl has always been against putting Acid into the Poison Magic school. In their view, Poison Magic is an early game tool that is supposed to fall off and adding acid damage options would give the school longevity.

Reference: https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:planning:wont_do

quote:

Adding acid spells to the Poison Magic school.
Poison is already well-defined, adding spells that bypass all of its drawbacks/advantages does not improve it.
Acid damage is not very different from plain nonelemental damage for players, since acid resistance is so rare and the monster corrosion effect is mostly insignificant.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Aumanor posted:

As soon as I saw that a rejected ideas page exists I knew there would be some cool concepts there because the crawl devs are allergic to fun. Would you be able to code that, Floodkiller? Maybe make Ogres grow a second head at a certain level? Or as a possible mutation unique to them?

To-Do: Implement all features in the crawl dev "won't do" list

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Meanwhile in actual gameplay, I'm kind of stuck here: https://pastebin.com/wVSWGW6q

Oka's gifts have included no resist gear, 2 animal skins, 2 robes, no armor higher than chain, and no plus greater than 3. So my defense are just okay.

I've cleared Vaults 4 and Depths and I can have either MR+++, rC+, or rN+. Being vulnerable to two of these I can't see doing Elf or Crypt as a Formicid. Zot would be doable but certain situations become super unfun.

I have a vamp triple sword and the Damnation arbalest. I have been wearing gourmand to be able to switch. I have Bloodlust which would solve the MR problem if but I wound need to rebrand vamp.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Sage Grimm posted:

I would have said switch to regen amulet to compensate for low resistances but you only have 4 rations. I'd say Abyss-scum at this point.

Oh but I have plenty of rations in the bountiful food shops in the famous Orc 2 Farmer's Market.

I'm going to take your advice, going to do elf with Vamp, then I have 3 brand scrolls if I don't have a better weapon because yeah about starved swapping to damnation before I got gourmand. I just can't not shoot Jorgrun with hellfire...

edit: perfect, what a great elf 3 vault for a Formicid...

... okay it turns out Damnation one-shots anything in elf that hasn't been knighted.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 4, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah in that case I'd say roll the dice on Elf and use the MR+++ to avoid abyssing. Drain etc are totally bad but if you're careful it's more doable than V5

I FORGOT TO DO SWAMP

also:

pre:
 w - a +1 triple sword of protection (weapon)
   (You took it off a deep elf death mage on level 3 of the Elven Halls)
 57113 | Elf:3    | Identified the +5 scale mail of Masochism {rN+++ MR- rCorr Str+4 Slay+4} (You found it on level 3 of the Elven Halls)
 57217 | Elf:3    | Identified the ring "Doluucw" {Wiz +Fly rPois rC+} (You took it off a deep elf death mage on level 3 of the Elven Halls)

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 4, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Dual gods are hard because most of the code that checks to see if you worship a god calls a function that returns the god you worship rather than checking to see if you worship a particular god or not. So rather than being able to change a single function to return Yes when asked if someone worships Chei or Trog, you have to go in to the jillion places that do the check and change them instead.

The easiest stuff to implement duplicates existing features that might be cool in a new context or which are underutilized. For example, applying curare is easy because there's already a simple call to apply curare. However, one runs the risk of taking something cool and rare and making it less cool and less rare. For example, having a curare spell might detract from the joy of using 2 inventory slots to carry a blowgun and curare for the entire game and then never shooting it once.

FYI the function that keeps track of gods' reactions to various conducts is called peeve_map divine_peeves. Example: { DID_CANNIBALISM, RUDE_CANNIBALISM_RESPONSE }

It's a shame, the game name really should be Dungeon Crawl Rude Cannibalism Response.

I've been randomly popping into FDFE games and posting this link for the player:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I have a serious game-breaking bug report.

Every time I click on the chat input box I get this:

And if I click that it puts "what does pie" in the box. That sounds like something I might have said so maybe this is autofill voodoo or something?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Bogart posted:

Feature request: skeletons should be able to berserk if they have a bottle of blood to boil.

FR: skeletons can attempt to grab an orange brain and shove it into their skull through their mouth, gaining +1 int and +2 apt in a random spell school.

FR: skeletons can take a dead vine stalker and graft its corpse onto their bones, gaining a circulatory system and the ability to drink potions but losing torment and hunger protection. This will also work with a pulsating lump.

Got a DD to Vaults in 14k turns, best I've ever done, but I may not have what I need to clear V5 - XL 17, no might, only a few heals, almost no evocables, no relec. I don't know that clearing some depths might be even more dangerous though.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Ok goons, here's a turn count to beat:

pre:
              Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Apr 5, 2019!
             The game lasted 03:27:57 (27413 turns).
I'm happy with this, didn't get anything in vaults, acquired 2 crappy weapons, basically burned through piety in V5 not finding the rune until the 4th quadrant. Cleared Zot5 with a +6 randart battleaxe. No rElec all game.

I'm not good at fast wins, I feel like with a little more patience could have been under 25k turns easy. I backtracked 2-3 times for what turned out to be no good reason.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Toalpaz posted:

What's the deal with shield? Some people say they're good some people say they're bad. What's the truth?

Difference between 1h weapons and 2h weapons is slight and the loss of xp is not a huge deal in a casual game. However, every extra turn fighting in tight situations can be critical. This is especially true in extended when the value of blocking and physical defenses in general are decremented due to the most dangerous damage sources being smite, torment, and certain spellcasters.

When people give advice in Crawl you have to ask them if they are talking about playing for score/speed/win% or not. If you're playing for score, shields are absolutely a terrible idea because you have very limited xp and because 1h weapons kill more slowly. For example, my fast (relatively) DD win in gooncrawl I found a vamp demon trident and I didn't go shields, which seems really weird.

If you are talking about purely win%, shields are a good idea only in the following circumstances:
- you get a really nice 1h weapon and shield early and are a weak combo early
- you are an octopode, formicid or large race that is unarmed or needs the extra defenses
- you are a caster, stabber, or hybrid with weak armor

Otherwise, if you find a good shield early or a good 1h weapon like a demon whip, eveningstar, demon trident, double sword, eudemon blade go for it. It's such a no brainer for high scores that players will take very extreme positions on it, that's why it appears more controversial than it actually is.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
It can be said more simply that 2-handed weapons have an edge in extended and scoring and therefore players on the crawl Tavern or game chat who have reduced empathy and limited perspective will scream at you for using a shield. But really 2H weapons are only slightly better so do whatever.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 6, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
well I just had to quit a game because I left Kiku to join Zin in Temple on D4 and then fast travelled to Orc on like D12 to buy a wand:

pre:
You feel a little guilty.
"You will pay for your transgression, mortal!"
There is a stone staircase leading down here.
You climb downwards.
There is a stone staircase leading up here.
Items here: )))))) [[[[[
There is a staircase to the Orcish Mines, spattered with blood here.
You climb downwards. Welcome back to the Orcish Mines!
That's just the last few lines from my morgue. I had regen up :negative:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

In Nethack, I would die from boiling blood for stepping up to a Zin altar with regen on.
In ADoM, my piety would overflow allowing me to acquire multiple artefacts.
In ToME, it would work the same way but if I were playing a certain combo it would make my character unstoppable.
In CoQ it would probably duplicate all my gear a few times.

edit: restarted as a FDAc, was going to try hybriding with low MP, buffs up, and vehumet for mana return, but on D10:
pre:
the ring of Amorality (right hand) {rCorr MP+9 Int+4 Slay+2}
then on D12:
pre:
_You finish putting on the +0 pair of gloves of the Queen of Swords {MP+9 Int+5}
So I'm going pure caster now. But in theory I think FD could be a decent hybrid or even pure melee.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 6, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Come back into the zot 5 entry vault with the orb and a Pan Lord blocking the entrance turns my Fairy Dragon caster into a pig then casts silence then summons a balrog. And only one lung was cleared because I'd shattered my way to the orb. And this was the only item left equipped: the amulet of Meghain (around neck) {Harm *Drain Str-2 Int+9 Dex+4}

I had to use both phantom mirrors, box of beasts, and phial of floods to get out of the silence, then 2 hastes, 8 heal wounds, and 5 tports as a freaking pig before I finally land outside the vault. Holy crap do you stay a pig a long time...

edit: oh also I hadn't found a potion of cancellation all game either...

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 6, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Remember when I said FD might make a good melee?

enhance...

enhance...

no, no, this can't be possible. ENHANCE.

not possible. enhance.

edit: just got it going on D2....

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 7, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
PET KITTY

NO CURSE THESE D2 BLADE HANDS

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
if someone is actually using crab language other than haif I'll send FK a couple fixes, notably since mage = castercrab, you see a lot of creatures that are barely decastercrabed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
We all live with a slingy crab marine, a slingy crab marine, a slingy crab marine!

also, RARR I'M A FAIRY DRAGON:

The blade hands thing is really more abusive because FD starts with +6AC and +6EV and therefore is a very tough glass cannon. But so is a minotaur with a war axe.

FD is just a strong hybrid start. You can start Sk and have regen, song of slaying, shroud, spec weapon all castable at low failure very fast because you have 5 more AC than a robe user. Or start IE and have Ozo's.

I think maybe not allow permabuffs to be cast unless failure rate is 50% or less like with the servitor. That would prevent total abuse while not making it a pain in the rear end where you feel like you have to get regen down to 5% or you're gonna lose MP or have it go down at the worst time.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 7, 2019