Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Floodkiller posted:

That's from a while ago in DCSS. Too many people were hitting the wrong stat by accident (usually while doing something else), so now it uses capitals only to confirm that's what you want.

Another big one you will run into: use the Descend Staircase key to pray at altars, since the prayer button was removed.

what am I, performing a magic trick behind Trog's altar?

Trog hates magic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Jon Joe posted:

Reading through the design docs, I think I have a pretty good idea now how to impliment new species. I'm currently working on an Abomination species, an item-dependent crime against nature. Before I go through all the effort of implimenting it, I'd like to fetch what you all think of the idea.

Just a fluff thing as a negative modifier, but I definitely think Fedhas would absolutely despise this thing, as would the good gods, but I'm more on the fence on the good gods.

Fedhas though? woo, this thing really rustles their leaves.

edit: and Trog, as it's being held together by magic, but that'd probably be too drat cruel

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 23, 2018

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

I would probably never play it, but worshipping Jiyva from the get-go does sound fun and frustrating as all hell

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

the only good elf is a dead elf

thankfully, you can repeat this hundreds of times over in the Elven Halls

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

so, uh, what does it look like when the Abyssal Rune spawns, anyway

I've been wandering in and out of the Abyss for nearly half of this game so far and it hasn't shown up yet

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

I've gotten down to Abyss:10 and have far more rations than when I first started looking for it

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

ah, there we go, my very first 15-rune ascension

code:
678732 NOTAGAIN the Conqueror (level 27, 164/199 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Earth Elementalist on Nov 17, 2018.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Nov 18, 2018!

The game lasted 18:00:19 (179814 turns).

NOTAGAIN the Conqueror (GrEE)                     Turns: 179814, Time: 18:00:20

Health: 164/199    AC: 63    Str: 20    XL:     27
Magic:  54/54      EV: 19    Int: 35    God:    Vehumet [******]
Gold:   8827       SH: 10    Dex: 10    Spells: 8/80 levels left

rFire    + . .     SeeInvis +   o - +9 sacred scourge (holy)
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   a - +3 buckler {AC+3}
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   X - +6 pearl dragon scales
rPois    8         Spirit   .   L - +2 helmet {SInv}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   Y - scarf {rC+ rF+}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   R - +2 pair of gloves {Str+3}
MR       +++++     Clarity  +   e - +2 pair of boots {Stlth+}
Stlth    ..........             s - amulet of the Four Winds {rN+ MR+++ Clar}
HPRegen  0.43/turn              v - ring "Weusolea" {rC+ Int+4}
MPRegen  0.34/turn              y - ring of Muijemul {+Inv rC+ Int+3 Stlth-}

@: no status effects
A: big wings, blurry vision 1, deterioration 1, negative energy resistance 1,
electricity resistance, strong 2, wild magic 1, unbreathing, petrification
resistance, rot immunity, AC +20
0: Orb of Zot
}: 15/15 runes: barnacled, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian, icy, bone,
abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark, gossamer
a: Fly, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility

You escaped.
You worshipped Vehumet.
Vehumet was exalted by your worship.
You were not hungry.

You visited 18 branches of the dungeon, and saw 90 of its levels.
You visited Pandemonium 1 time, and saw 19 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 12 times.
You visited 2 bazaars.
You visited 1 ziggurat, and saw 24 of its levels.
You also visited: Trove, Ice Cave and Volcano.

You collected 17709 gold pieces.
You spent 8882 gold pieces at shops.
visiting that ziggurat before Pan and Hell turned out to be the winning move, since the Book of Annihilations, and thus, Fire Storm and Glaciate, was in there

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 19, 2018

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Internet Kraken posted:

Mulching as a mechanic exists because the devs don't want you to be able to use ranged weapons exclusively. Kind of annoying since it means you have to scrounge for ammunition constantly.

non-artifact weapons now mulch after a certain amount of uses. put those hundreds of weapons you find on the floor to good use!

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Serephina posted:

FWIW my SpEn (from yeaaaars ago) used a lightning rapier for Zot. I also had a Halfling clear out most of extended using an ordinary sling with a random brand. So, uh, biggest&best isn't always necessary.

with this post, duvessa suddenly suggests that weapons that are not heaviest or skill-intensive in class be nerfed to better represent weapon power across the board

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Like I'm not crazy right? I feel like old versions used to have more serious fanfare than "we altered a portal vault and updated Nem (again)"

face up to the fact that the Lava Orc and Djinni version was the best one and let it all go

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Internet Kraken posted:

or casting death's door (not sure how that would of kept me from being teleported)

I'm still of the position that I think it's really funny that the devs insist that you absolutely have to invest in Necromancy to have a shot at extended

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Floodkiller posted:

Totally agree on throwing though, it takes way more investment than Slings with less payoff if you don't have ammo gifts or a find a nice source of throwing instruments. It's only a safe bet on characters who can use large rocks.

They're locked to very few species as well, more or less pigeonholing you into throwing those large rocks. I always wondered why something like Charms didn't have a spell that allows you to levitate and then throw large rocks for the other species.

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

fool_of_sound posted:

My dream for extended is

---Delete hell
---Move one of the former Hell runes to Shining One's Fortress. Move the last floor of Dis into Pandemonium cause it's cool and unique and doesn't overlap with the current Pandalords. Force a unique floor spawn every 5th floor in Pandemonium
---Make tomb a single large enemyless floor with a sarcophagus in each corner than spawns a unique mummy boss and minions. Make each of the four boss mummies give a nasty, non-random, unique death curse that persists until all four boss mummies are slain (which spawns the rune) or your leave the floor (which respawns the bosses). Delete all lesser mummy death curses. The idea is it's an endurance test, and you hae to decided which order to tackle the mummies in based on which death curses are least dangerous to you.
---Move one of the three other former Hell runes to the bottom of Elf, to act as a second alternative to Vault 5/Abyss.

I'm not sure what to do with the last two, but I've had a vague idea to make one of them spawn on a random depths/dungeon floor during the orb run, defended by one of the former hell lords and their minion. The orb would ping you when you entered the floor with it.

Repurposing wizard labs to continue to be random, but contain a single rune (mystic rune?) would be an interesting trade-off and allow for more visits to the Moon

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Hooplah posted:

Cheibriados if you want to be a really good looking corpse

Kikubaaqudgha is pretty good too

Gozag is the best god though

Pakellas is the god of gods, the artificer and tinkerer

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Mainline refuses to accept Poison as a legitimate school of magic and this is where I draw the line

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Sort of tempted to give trunk another go, what with Fedhas being updated. At the very least you don't have to sacrifice rations to get your tower defense game of oklobs going.

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Indecisive posted:

did they remove Passage of Golubria? That was my go-to for tomb for a while, and way easier to get castable in armor than cblink, used that on a FoFi although admittedly that was in .20 almost 2 years ago

I don't think so, but mainline dev enmity for Earth Magic has been ramping up over the last few versions.

edit: oops, that's a Translocation spell but I do wonder, since while looking at the wiki, nothing about MR was listed for Gell's Gravitas. Would that be a suitable option for Tomb?

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 13, 2019

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Mr. Lobe posted:

How so? The grabby hands spell seems like it was a big boon for earth.

They reduced the damage somewhat, but the big kicker was the reduction in destroying the hell out of the dungeon with Lee's Rapid Deconstruction.

It's a change I still haven't forgiven

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

it's less of a development team and more of a development clique

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Ferrinus posted:

Poison's an alchemical discipline, eh? Remind me - do acids have anything to do with alchemy? No? Really, I thought- well, huh, okay

You would think this, but I guess the development team is still hung up on having Poison as a non-endgame school of magic.

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

If I've got one moonshot idea for late-game Poison use, it's this:

Let it synergize with Jiyva worship and allow such worship to do unimaginably goofy things to what was once merely your stings and clouds.

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

PMush Perfect posted:

Grats! If you're playing Gooncrawl, try out a Faerie Dragon Conjurer next, they're a great introduction to playing casters.

Gargoyle Earth Elementalist is also an excellent choice, as you gain quite a good amount of natural AC and you get access to the high power of Earth magic. It's pretty easy to slot in another school if you start coming up against highly armored foes; if you find a book with Firestorm or Glaciate, you'll be able to use them by the time you hit level 27.

It's such a strong combination that it's the one that has carried me through a full 15-rune run and a few ziggurats!

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

PMush Perfect posted:

code:
PoisonMushroom the Ducker (level 1, -2/12 HPs)
             Began as a Skeleton Archaeologist on Dec 22, 2019.
             Slain by a kobold
             ... wielding a +5 short sword of protection
              (5 damage)
             ... on level 1 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 00:00:30 (39 turns).

lmao, slain

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Hell Yeah posted:

I've been playing this game for like 10 years and just got my first 3 rune win. lol

Congrats! If you've been playing for ten years, now would be an excellent time to get another win as a Lava Orc or a Djinni

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Dropbear posted:

I heard some dude had won Crawl something like 43 times in a row.

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

cock hero flux posted:

yes, and then remove trolls also because now they're too close to ogres

unironically remove giant clubs and giant spiked clubs until you can cast Sticks to Snakes on them to make huge rear end wyverns or dragons

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

my only thoughts are why would you blast out evocables like that when you already disallowed people from using multiples by tying the charge between all instances of the item lmao

Pakellas will have their day, I swear

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Perhaps a god...I'm brainstorming here...Parellas? Pakelli? I feel like I'm onto something

PAKELLAS THE INVENTIVE APPROVES OF YOUR CURIOSITY

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

The cowards will put in an ego that's boosted solely by Evocations but have not the courage to reimplement rods or Pakellas.

(or let Nemelex decks spawn at random in the dungeon, because you need to draw Famine on your first pull)

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Gorelab posted:

Generally part of game design is making sure the optimal way to play the game isn't the most tedious because a lot of people will just do the optimal tediousness and then bounce off. However this feels like a worse way of doing a clock than food, to be honest.

I was on-board until I saw how extreme the ramp-up is at the end. You know I can still walk around a little bit and try to not splat something as soon as I see it when I'm starving to death, right?

At the end of the day, there's going to be some sort of item that reduces ZOT TIME and it's going to be a renamed ration.

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

PG-13 SEX DUNGEON posted:

vault of shafts and freezing clouds

a Bathdoom vault where the rock walls are slime walls

also the vault is very, very small and has slime walls

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

bees x1000 posted:

Trunk has turned cloud wands into cloud XP evokables. They've removed a lot of great wands over the years, I wonder if they'll eventually be removed altogether?

Cut here, cut there, and eventually a whole chunk of the game doesn't make sense any more. See: charms.

edit: to clarify i'm not necessarily complaining about this potential change. evokables with charges aren't that different from wands.

I am! Pakellas does not forget!

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Einwand posted:

The only real downside I see to it is making shoals even harder than it already is, by turning every single merfolk javelin into a penetrating one.

At this point in time, given one's ability to see missiles flying at one's self, I'm not sure why there isn't a Dark Souls-style Force spell that just causes every and all things flying at you to immediately pivot in place and fly back towards the caster/thrower/yaktaur.

I know Deflect Missiles is more or less gone, but you would have thought they would have put a more proactive version back into place.

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

Einwand posted:

The latest trunk casualty has been announced, controlled blink.

lmao

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

at this point, the Translocation capstone should just be Lugonu's self-banishment ability

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

cock hero flux posted:

when they remove it they'll put in a fixedart that does what it used to do, though, and then if anyone complains they'll point at that and go "see, it still exists, it's more interesting this way"

the fixedart will be quietly removed a few patches later

I'm all for a god that punishes the devs' intentions by gaining piety only through the sacrifice of rand and unrandarts to gain the powers of said rand and unrandarts

It can be Gilgamesh the Collector because you know he's looking for that one sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 15, 2004

Don't call me a hero.

cock hero flux posted:

add a ghost branch that just contains the entire ghosts file, enter if you dare

put it after Tomb so everyone knows that this is the final area of the game