Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

World Famous W posted:

I'm finally trying gnolls. Gnolls are good and fun. I have nothing else to comment on.

Nice summary of this thread and 2/3rds of the last one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Your complete lack of output is what stopped Octopode from being in smash

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Why don't people like DCSS any more?

Inmates running the asylum syndrome

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I really want to take the engine of DCSS and then put an entirely new 'top layer' (classes, monsters, areas, the quest etc) on top of it. Shame I am code allergic and also, very stupid

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

FR: traps and doors skill that reduces the chance of a random trap occurring by 100% at skill level 1

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Um, how do I beat Tomb now? I just get dropped into a room where a billion things zap the poo poo out of me and if I fight back and kill them, they get to own me from beyond the grave? Do I literally have to keep just running to the upstair and bringing a few up with me over and over?

edit: welp died in Tomb, never ever ever doing that rune again because the dev team removed every possible approach to it :)

tote up a bags fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 10, 2019

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

cheetah7071 posted:

Tomb is just repeatedly hitting >< until your fingers fall off

Not anymore! Because all the downstairs are one-way. It's even wooooorseeee

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Mara is the real final boss of DCSS

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Is there a Europe server that has gooncrawl?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Mordekai posted:

I'm nagging the admin of underhound.eu to add forks.

Hell, yeah!!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Who was it that was working on the underhound.eu guys to host gooncrawl? I will help you persuade!!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I won for the first time. It was easy once I figured out that I shouldn't die.

Also I tried gooncrawl but I turned away in disgust when I saw that it had gnolls use the old player dolls.

In a thread of errors, this is the biggest misplay yet

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Don't post this in the tavern or they'll remove blade hands

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

code:
PLEDGE_TABMANCER,              // After every command, a TAB attack is automatically entered (if possible)
PLEDGE_AMNESIAC,               // After a spell is cast, it is replaced in your memory with another spell of the same level, with the same success %/power
PLEDGE_ZEALOT,                 // After your 2nd rune, you must abandon a unique god each time you want to pick up another rune. Cannot worship Gods who do not punish abandonment
PLEDGE_CHOKOKNIGHT,            // Cannot wield anything except a Choko the entire game
Here are some fun ones! I really like the 2nd one!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Alright, got my weapon at min delay and some HP. Guess I should learn how to see traps now.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Nobody hates people playing crawl more than the people making crawl

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I wanna chat to the person who they’re making the game for at this point. Like, how do they play

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I got back on DCSS too recently, having not really played much in the last few years (previous win was 2017), and although it's indisputable they cut a lot of cool stuff (mutated meat!), it's not as dull as I thought it might be. I should probably do a 15 runer but I always end up doing the three Lair, abyss (which is now much better - dropping back into your lowest level means you aren't waiting forever to go down two levels every time you need to bail), Slime and then dipping into Pan which just feels way more intense than it used to (but might just be me being rusty?). I haven't touched Hells or Tomb yet this patch, but I seem to remember Tomb because a nightmare a few versions ago.

But there's a lot of cool new spells (Plasma Beam and Storm Form are both really fun) so overall it feels better than I remember. Maybe they course corrected?
That last win though just reminded me of how much of a missed opportunity Wu Jian is. Why is the reward for doing sick combos only active during the mega expensive ability? Combo-ing lunge, whirlwind and wall jump back into each other feels badass but you get nothing for doing it unless you pop Heavenly Storm. Serpent's Lash is incredible though and is I assume where most of the WJC power budget went.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

EightFlyingCars posted:

wu jian is secretly a top-tier stabbing god. both lunge and whirlwind give you stabs

Oh that's interesting. I got an Usk VS stabber pretty far but it's very swingy (you have no defense so if a big hit gets through your mana is gone and you're on 1/4hp), hadn't thought of stabbing with Wu, might try it next!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Got a 9 runer with Wu Jian last night, probably could've done 15 (or at least 10, I forgot to do slime, and also went back into Pan having already got all the runes there, which was what convinced me I was too sleepy to not splat and ascended). Wu Jian is super cool and makes the game's combat feel different to "cast a lot of spells" or "hold tab in a corridor", but I sure wish more of his power was on the actual martial moves and not always on Serpent's Lash. But either way he is cool and I like him

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Put down a 15 runer last night, the classic Gargoyle of Oka > TSO with a holy whip. Here's the morgue.

I thought I'd share my thoughts on the game's areas in the order I got the runes, I don't think any of the devs read these threads anymore but whatever:

- Lair, Shoals, Spider, Swamp, Snake are all pretty good I think. I like that the difficulties of the branches vary big time on what character you're running and what intrinsics you found.
- Vaults feel easier than they used to, I remember V:5 killing so many of my dudes back in the day, but that might just be me playing better. I like the monster that casts ice along the walls, (Ironbound Frostheart), it's got a unique strategy to defeat and makes corridors scary instead of safe.
- Slime has a few strats to beat TRJ now, I usually just clear out the outer ring then run at him with buffs up, but I'm aware things like Immolation Scroll + Torment etc are viable. This branch is probably the only "either have these intrinsics or don't come" part of the game outside of extended, and it sucks if you just didn't find rCorr and rC++/Will+++ because you can't even really set foot in it.
- Abyss, to me, is in it's best ever form. The monster mix feels good and the threat of mutation is very real but not overbearing. The only thing that is a bit weird is when you detect the rune you have to then zoom out the map (Shift+X) to see it, which is fine once you know that's what the game wants but there's zero way to figure that out without looking it up or knowing that command beforehand. Also I kinda wish there was a reason to dive lower than Abyss:3. In my run I had to bounce in and out of Pan a few times and ended up in Abyss:4 but it would be cool if there were wizlabs or treasure troves or something down there with increasing frequency or somthing.
- Pan rules, easily the best part of endgame. Three of the lords feel fair (although Lom moving you all over the loving place is pretty annoying if you're melee), but I will say with the rarity and extreme value now of Mutation pots, it is a bit lame to have to go through abyss AND Mnoleg's domain and hope the whole time you don't run out of pots. Slime has mutation as well so it's just asking a lot for a relatively rare resource. I guess what I'm saying is life is a land of contrasts and also bring back purple meat.
- Hell is a chore. I get the concept is hell effects happen on the downstair, so the best strategy is go to through all seven floors in one go, but if you don't and you get the poo poo drained out of you, you're motivated to then go clear that drain before trying again. I literally jumped back into Pan (fully completed) like 3 times so I could farm XP to get rid of drain, because then I'd have to go down 4 flights of Hell stairs and get drained AGAIN just to kill the next 3 monsters, rinse and repeat. The continuous element of the hell effects (no potions in Cocytus etc) are good though. But I just think hell effect is still not quite right.
- Tomb sucks poo poo. Vastly better than it used to be but still a chore. I think the biggest issue for me is monsters proccing the pink teleport traps teleporting the player. There's essentially no skill, you just bounce around and hope the monsters path away from it, or you teleport out and just wait.

Also the two best hybrid spells in the game are Vhi's Electric Charge and Manifold Assault, holy poo poo they are so loving cheap. Lesser beckoning is also great but I couldn't find it.
Anyway that's my words post, thank you for reading and please add back purple meat thank you

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I’ll join the team! Username is Stoats

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I’m sure as hell not going to pull my weight between work and family, but 0.31 tourney starts tomorrow if anyone want to form a goon team and knock off a few points

Not sure why but I'm not appearing on the team list, I have you in my rcfile :(
https://crawl.develz.org/tournament/0.31/players/stoats.html

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I had it as

code:
# TEAMNAME SummonAwfulThings
# TEAMMEMBERS Tommu Vadun Stoats epsilonplus puppykicker
I'll try
code:
stoats
in case its case-sensitive?

We're full at the moment -- I should really roll a new character after raging out over tabbing my stupid overpowered minotaur to death with a million options at 2AM

Still no luck - might be a problem with LLD. Feel free to swap me out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Ok, I added you in stoat's spot, sorry about that stoats.

No worries! Bring home some wins!