Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lio Rush is so bad that I had enough Raw like ten minutes in or whenever he showed up and watched something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

If Judy Bagwell is still alive and not on the card then they can gently caress right off with that nonsense

If she's dead then nevermind

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm seeing them on desktop and it's annoying

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol what the gently caress

Is that Cena's voice pitched down slightly or just some guy because the way he speaks actually sounds like Cena and it's weird

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Lol I'm dying at the Cody Rhodes story in the latest Botchamania. I hadn't heard that one before.

Also Trips "It's getting cold" which I can only assume was 2 hours into the match.

My favorite was that weird portland wrestling promo where the guy said ILL BUST OUT A MOVE ALL OVER YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I hope the terrible poo poo the Saudis are doing keeps getting attached to WWE's name

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

"You may have heard about Jamal Khashoggi being murdered and chopped into pieces, but on November 2nd at WWE Crown Jewel, it'll be Undertaker and Kane getting CROTCH CHOPPED INTO PIECES"

lol

Ad by Khad posted:

Who's the lady with the sombra hair

Ember Moon

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Ad by Khad posted:

oh ok

is she any good

She's fun to watch and looks unique.

Someone who watches more often than me would have to answer your question on her being good. My answer is "I think so?"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

sonicice posted:

Not only that but just now from WaPo:

Lol

He really shouldn't have answered that spam email about a saudi prince needing you to help him with a money issue

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Shawn Michaels facial expression shows that he knows what he got himself into

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I always thought Finn Balor was a weird name choice until just now when I learned his real name is Fergal Devitt

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

VJeff posted:

They actually explained his name once, during the one-month span Balor was actually taken seriously on the main roster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJwLrarYTJ0

That was a great video, thanks for posting it. I'd never seen it before. Now I want to watch an entire series of Irish folklore and history narrated by him.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I didn't know they signed a 10 year contract lol

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

that photo of steph lmao

Look im a people this is how a people and not a robot would smile

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Vince back out of something? They'll probably double down.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Look the only thing that matters is, good or bad, there's a reaction.

The Big Dog Method (TM)

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

rovert posted:

I don't know what to make for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10sLjvov0jg

He's having a good time and not being bogged down by the bullshit, good for him

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I know you post tons of serious news and stuff but I also appreciate when you show a sense of humor

lol

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

cams posted:

it would be so awesome if this killed the wwe

Eh worst that will happen is they'd lose the oil money deal and have a minor PR black eye that would be forgotten quickly because most of their base audience has a memory so short they have to show multiple recaps for what happend in that same show ten minutes ago

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

How many very public murders and admissions of guilt for said murders does it take for your PG company to go "eh we should probably create some distance"

So far the number is above 1 so lets see how high it goes

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 12, 2018

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

https://nypost.com/2018/10/11/richard-branson-halts-1b-project-with-saudi-arabia-over-khashoggi-disappearance/

quote:

Virgin Group founder Richard Branson has suspended a $1 billion investment project with Saudi Arabia due to the disappearance of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi.

Branson made the announcement Thursday as US Senators sparked an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the mystery of the missing US resident and Saudi critic.

“What has reportedly happened in Turkey around the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, if proved true, would clearly change the ability of any of us in the West to do business with the Saudi Government,” Branson said in a statement.

Virgin Group just paused a 1 billion dollar deal to try to save face - your move WWE

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

WWE couldn't write better villains for their storylines if they tried!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Tomahawk posted:

took 3 for benoit

That's right I forgot Benoit has the current high score

Most WWE/WWF murderers in history stopped at 1 before it was covered up

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

TV ratings are a work anyway.

2.9 out of what? How can they tell who's looking at the tv

WWE started counting pets a while back to game the system

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Love how every other show is getting $500mil regardless of ratings. Looking forward to seeing what Bryan Fuller can do with that budget on season 2 (of many) of American Gods

I just finished the first season after sleeping on it for too long and goddamn

Saw recently that the Deadwood movie finally started filming and I hope it does well so long after the show ended because Ian Mcshane deserves way more praise than he gets

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I wonder what news outlet will need to pick up this story before they cave

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Wika I appreciate that when you strike you spin and strike in all directions at once

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

rovert posted:

Can't say much without betraying honest confidences but I will say WWE's ties with Saudi are deeper than what's public. If a real reporter looks really into things it could be really damning.

I believe you because they'd be backpedaling already if deeper things weren't involved especially being a PG family friendly company in bed with people that just got caught doing some really gross poo poo

"Monitoring the situation" or whatever they said is damning in itself when Virgin Group put a 1 billion dollar deal on hold to save face for the moment. You know that agreement is going to be unpaused at some point but it definitely shows WWE should be in damage control mode and not "wait and see how bad it gets" mode.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Have to imagine there are many journalists trying to crack that story open right now - it'd be a pretty big one now that kidnap, torture and murder are involved

I'm sure there are lots of things being swept up behind the scenes to prevent that

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

This will all blow over then it's 10 more years of The Big Dog

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Two Beans posted:

Don't protect murder supporters.

I doubt his source is a murder supporter or they wouldn't have told him

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Two Beans posted:

If they didn't go to the press themselves, they're supporting.

Supporting murder and supporting self preservation are vastly different things

This is a story about a journalist that was just kidnapped, tortured, then chopped into pieces

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

I can already tell some people here are going to be mad at Dave when Dave publishes the Vince obit (like he publishes obits for everyone in wrestling who dies) and are stunned at some of what he'll have to say, not having done so while Vince was alive and "could have" been punished with another $100mil in a TV deal

The joke here being that he won't actually say anything disrespectful right

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

No offense but it's a bit rich to storm in here and tell people you're sitting on a blockbuster news story from a confidential source that would surely spell the end of WWE if word got out about just how deep they are with the KSA, and then when people provide safe ways to help said source get said word out to the mainstream press, you tell them to "calm down".

I don't normally get involved in rovert arguments but he didn't really do any of that - just simply hinted that there might possibly be deeper things going on which I'm sure we all figured there was anyway being that a 10 year hundred million dollar deal usually isn't just a handshake

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I'm a real journalist (I got business cards and everything. Also, a desk.) but unless this is about an underground fashion ring or leads to a regional theater production I can't help.

How dare you storm in here and call yourself a journalist without burning this story down

I want to know about the WWE backstage underground fashion ring and how Naomi fits all those blinky lights into her clothes and shoes

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

VJeff posted:

I really hope those wrestlers are doing some soul-searching right now.

How much of Vince's poo poo are they willing to take and be party to for a few years of transient celebrity?

sexpig by night posted:

yea it feels like we make a lot of jokes about wrestlers being a part of a lovely brand like WWE acts like but this is probably something that should be a genuine line. Like at least before with doing a Saudi show the company line was 'look MBS is promising to be a reformer and we're trying to help open things up between our countries with entertainment' but...I mean it was bullshit before but this is just insane levels of 'this guy's an evil piece of poo poo'.

It's easy for us to sit back and say things like that though given that we're not wrestlers and WWE is the only company that will pay most of that roster enough to make a living doing what they do. Most of them just aren't good enough to be an AJ Styles on the indies and make the money they are making.

They have no control over what gross poo poo their employers get into and walking away does sound like a thing to do when you don't have to explain to your family you quit your job over a saudi journalist. I'm sure they are very uncomfortable with all of it and aren't supporting it just by staying employed. Contracts and non competes are also a thing.

It's complicated and the wrestlers put up with enough independent contractor poo poo without having to also deal with WWE's political troubles because they make bad business decisions - it's a shame. I'm sure they just want to entertain people and make enough money to retired before they are too broken to do it anymore.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 12, 2018

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

GrimGypsy posted:

if one WWE main-roster star was brave/nuts enough to refuse to go, they'd definitely get canned and probably sued but dear god they'd become a public/media darling the likes of which we've never seen

They'd be a media blip for the next 24 hours of the news cycle then forgotten

Then they'd be blacklisted from anywhere WWE decides to pay enough to not hire them

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

So WWE got even more mainstream coverage for this. This time from Fortune.

http://fortune.com/2018/10/12/wwe-saudi-arabia-crown-jewel/

Haha ouch:

quote:

While several major companies have pulled out of state sponsored events in the Arab nation, WWE is, for now at least, proceeding with plans for its “Crown Jewel” pay-per-view event, which is scheduled for Nov. 2.

The company says it is “monitoring the situation” in the country after the mysterious disappearance and possible murder of Jamal Khashoggi, a Saudi government critic and Washington Post columnist.

Executives from Uber, Viacom, HP and the LA Times, as well as venture capitalist Steve Case, have all withdrawn from the Future Investment Initiative, otherwise known as ‘Davos in the Desert,’ citing concerns about the situation in the country.

Yeah that's a bad look

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol Michael Tarver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I can't imagine they'll draw attention to it by addressing it on their programming

Right now they're just closing their eyes putting their hands over their ears and shouting NEENER NEENER I CANT HEAR YOU until it goes away

• Locked thread