Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sonofsunaj
Mar 16, 2009
So the other day I was at a barn sale, and i bought a couple antique things. One appears to be complete, and the other is missing a class plate in front, but gives a better look at what it is. One is clearly labeled as a "Calcumeter" but a google seach doesn't show anything that looks like this.

They are wooden boxes, a little over 3 feet long, and about 8 inches on each side. Inside is a metal drum, with a piece of paper glued on it with a pattern of numbers that seems to indicate measurements and conversions. Otherwise the only writing on the paper says "Copyright 1983 by O.W. Van Denburgh."

The Glass plate on the front says "Calcumeter" and has a thin clear section to see the drum underneath and one row of numbers on it. It is a yard long and on top is measured off in inches, and below it is measured off in fractions of 1/16th of a yard.

On the right hand side is a little section for price by yard, revealing more numbers on the drum.

There is a wheel on the side that allows the drum to be spun from the side, or the front.

I picked them both up for $25 because i have more curiosity than impulse control. When google got me nothing I contacted a antique consignment company and appraiser near me, and they gave me a shrug but offered to research a appraisal for $150 an hour. That is way more than I am willing to invest in this.

I have to assume that it was made somewhere between 1893 and 1923 or else they wouldn't have bothered to put an expired copyright on it. My best guess is that it is made to help measure out and price bolts of cloth or something else sold by the yard. The term Calcumeter usually refers to a mechanical adding machine patented in 1904 that looks nothing like this.

Sorry about some of the pictures being kind of poor quality, they were done in a hurry and my phone doesn't have a great camera. I can take more if there is an interest, but this covers all the main details. Anyone know what this might be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
It’s for contacting aliens. You use the slide rule thing to select the number of aliens you would like to contact, yelll your message at it (have to yell cuz its old) like “Hey Aliens! gently caress YOU!” Then the other box transmits it to the heavens. Solid find.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
It's a dildo.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
That's a 1968 Chrevrolet Camaro Z/28. Nice find!!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It calculmetes how far you can stick it up your own rear end.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Google comes up with an O W Van Denburg who was an inventor in the 1800s. Seems like he could be your guy and researching more about him may give you more info about your device.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US451584A/en

Ctrl +F "van denburgh" on these.

https://archive.org/stream/scientific-american-1891-05-16/scientific-american-v64-n20-1891-05-16_djvu.txt

https://archive.org/stream/scientific-american-1885-11-14/scientific-american-v53-n20-1885-11-14_djvu.txt

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Are we also getting $150 an hour for this work you cheap bastard

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lolie posted:

Google comes up with an O W Van Denburg who was an inventor in the 1800s. Seems like he could be your guy and researching more about him may give you more info about your device.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US451584A/en

Ctrl +F "van denburgh" on these.

https://archive.org/stream/scientific-american-1891-05-16/scientific-american-v64-n20-1891-05-16_djvu.txt

https://archive.org/stream/scientific-american-1885-11-14/scientific-american-v53-n20-1885-11-14_djvu.txt

This guy invented the backpack mounted pressurizable beverage container so whatever the OP has it's probably retarded.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Pretty sure it's one of those decoder rings for games before they had those anti-piracy programs in them.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Definitely a dildo that contacts aliens

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
It obviously calculates your metres which never took off in the USA due to their primitive measurement system.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I suggest uploading some photos that are of a more reasonable size and without your thumb in the picture.

Solvalou
Aug 31, 2001
They look like encased slide rules. There's some that look like yours in this link: http://www.sliderulemuseum.com/MiscUSA.htm

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
It's a Windows Server 2016 Core, datacenter edition

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Did anybody say dildo?

Cool thread keep us updated

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
you put your balls in the wheel and spin it around, then you use the ruler to measure your cock

sonofsunaj
Mar 16, 2009
Orville W Van Denburg was a cigar salesman in Schuylerville, New York. He held several patents, the pitcher, a painting stand, and a scale.

Its definitely a measurement tool of some kind. It could be some kind of slide rule for a specific purpose, it may also be missing some part or another. But why the drum?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Eleventy.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It's almost certainly for pricing out bolts of cloth. The drum probably contains the prices for all the materials carried at a store.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

autism ZX spectrum posted:

It's almost certainly for pricing out bolts of cloth. The drum probably contains the prices for all the materials carried at a store.

This was my guess too.

sonofsunaj
Mar 16, 2009

autism ZX spectrum posted:

That was my first thought when I saw it too.

The device itself is probably covered by somebody else's patent, and he had a copyright on the paper that was on the drum that was specifically for his use.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Check the sides to see if there's any evidence of it being mounted to a table. I'd imagine it would be mounted at the end of at able so the top was flush with the surface.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My guess would be that it spools and cuts electrical wire to quantum length.

sonofsunaj
Mar 16, 2009
nope, no holes or anything where it would have been previously mounted on something. Given that the wheel is easily accessible from the front (top?) i doubt it was intended to be spun from the side, but there is no sign of it being mounted, screwed, or nailed to anything previously on the side either.

Edit: I was thinking that the wheel might be intended to have some kind of belt or something on it as it seems a little overkill just for spinning a light weight drum, but the gap for the wheel seems too narrow for that.

sonofsunaj fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 9, 2018

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
It's an ancient Mayan calendar. Make sure not to spin it to the end or you'll bring about catastrophe!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Guess you could use it to measure arc gaps and figure out the maximum tensile strength of a substance at perfect heat. :thunk:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
This is a document that's highly redacted in the SCP foundation. Congrats on becoming an anomalous casualty.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

anal circumfrence joke

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

This is a document that's highly redacted in the SCP foundation. Congrats on becoming an anomalous casualty.

It's a device that lets you communicate with 2013.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Definitely some kind of turd measuring / pricing device.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Just a guess but I agree with you OP. It was most likely just a measuring stick for cloth, and you use the drum to set the price per yard, so when you cut a certain length you can immediately see the price for that cut.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 9, 2018

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm no expert, but that appears to be mostly wood to me

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Van Denburgh's Fantastical Wood and Numbers Stick

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That's a numberwang.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
It's a calcumeter OP.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Crack it open op! But do it over a catch basin in case any valuable tique leaks out you can use it for other arcane vintage functions

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Thats a regulation cucumber display case. The international order of cucumbry hasnt existed for so long uts now acceptable to just put your cucumbers in the vegetable drawer but this was a different era, arguably the golden age of cucumbers and you wouldnt be caught dead without one.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
How much do you want for it op?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Gramma had one of those and it's why I hated my parents letting her babysit me. It's an old timey rectal thermometer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

sonofsunaj posted:

Otherwise the only writing on the paper says "Copyright 1983 by O.W. Van Denburgh."

"Antiques" ... congrats on getting ripped off.

Yeah I know, you probably meant to type 1893.

• Locked thread