Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
DECISIVE STRIKE!

JUKES!

APPREHENSIVE HIGH SCHOOLERS!

quote:

Hey everybody! It's time for a consolidated Aysmmetrical Horror Game Thread - because there are a few which are dead and dying, some which are holding steady, and some which are up and coming. I'm not sure any one of them deserves their own thread at this point - so here's a place where we can talk all about these dumb games we love and hate and love to hate.

What the hell are these games?
Asymmetrical Horror games generally pit one person (the killer) against a group of multiple players (survivors) who have to escape or otherwise defeat the killer by accomplishing some objective. This 1v4 or 1v8 or 1v(whatever) formula can be a lot of fun in the right circumstances because there is always a power disparity between the players. It's gratifying as a player to stomp all over a weaker character who's next to helpless, and it's also gratifying to make the more powerful character screw up and fail at this. It's salt and satisfaction all the time.

DEAD BY DAYLIGHT

Status: Holding steady - yet much the same as it always was: A toxic cesspool with moments of good fun.

Old thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779036

DbD has been around for a while. Many thought Friday the 13th would signal its downfall - but the playerbase of DbD is rock steady thanks to its continuing popularity among streamers. Much like Friday the 13th - it's much better played with friends. The community is widely known to be toxic as hell - which can be both fun and frustrating. Be prepared to be poo poo on heavily from people who are way too good at this game (and know it). Also it's lots of fun to make these people disconnect and rage. It's really not a bad game and is the current standard to measure all these games against.

Somehow, someway, DbD continues to be the juggernaut in this arena. BHVR has steadily been making strides toward killing the game by refusing to address the longstanding problem of the game ending too quickly for the killer. BHVR has now several times shown themselves to be very biased toward survivors.

What is the standard survivor main like, you ask?

Apple2o posted:

Yeah, he's not complaining about the meta guys. I am a survivor main, not a killer main. Clearly.

I only play killer 95% of the time because I would rather farm the poo poo players, than have to rely on them to survive.

And like I give a gently caress about "making an rear end of myself" on the internet. Oh no, some people ill never see in my entire life have a bad opinion of me! What will I ever do?
    It's really quite incredible and we will see if BHVR manages to take down their own game.

Every 12 weeks or so BHVR pumps out another chapter with a new killer, a new survivor, and a new map complete with 6 new perks. This steady flow of DLC keeps people coming back for more punishment - and props to the BHVR design team which can come up with some cool stuff. They have all the talent their balance team misses.

There are lots of veteran players in this thread, so if you're new to DbD or looking for tips let us know!

FRIDAY THE 13th - THE GAME!

Old thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817247

Friday the 13th is an OK ish game which was exponentially better with a group of 8 in Discord. Recent legal battles have basically torpedoed any future content for this game and not many goons play it regularly any more. There's still a very small playerbase - but let's be honest: things don't look great for the future of this game.

HIDE OR DIE

Update: It is trash.

Beta testing was done with some DbD streamers and it looked strikingly like garbage, we'll see if they can pull anything out when it releases.

LAST YEAR THE NIGHTMARE

update It's trash.

https://twitter.com/LastYearGame/status/1045312226616205313

Last Year is a new title attempting to capture the feel of 90's slasher movies. It recently had a closed beta and I got to tool around enough to be versed on the killers, survivors, and basic mechanics outlined below.

(Jennifer Love Hewitt is not a playable character for some reason.)

The Killers! :murder:

Predator Mode / Spawned Mode

The first thing to discuss in this game is Predator Mode which as an ability all killers have to "de-spawn" into the etheral nothingness. Killers can roam rapidly and teleport using this power. Here is where they can lay traps, plant gas, get in their ambush locations, and spawn in.

Spawning requires the killer to both be:
    1) Out of direct LOS (not to say you can't see parts of him when he poofs in or out)
    2) Not too close to the survivors. He can still spawn very close to you around corners and the like.

Likewise he can also go IN to predator mode provided he is out of LOS.

The Slasher

The Slasher is the "gently caress it I'm going in" killer of the three. His basic attack deals very high damage and he can close gaps faster than the Giant. He has a decent health pool - but sustained CC and damage will bring him down.

His insta-kill attack can target anyone underneath a skylight, he will fall down and bury his axe in their skull. The Slasher will be spawned in when the kill animation is done.

The Giant

The giant is the largest and slowest killer. He has the ability to charge a short distance and to grab survivors and throw them. This can be used to great effect to separate and injure a survivor.

The giant has the largest HP pool and the strongest damage dealing capability - but he is exceptionally slow and easy to kite. Technician turrets can chew down his HP pool and he has trouble in wide-open areas such as the gym or some of the classrooms where he is easily run around.

The giant's insta-kill attack can target anyone wandering too close to certain walls. The walls are the hardest to "spot" compared to the skylight or vent - but also have a short range. The giant will be spawned in after the kill animation is done.

The Strangler

The Strangler is the fastest and weakest killer, but has excellent 1 v 1 capabilities and one of the most powerful basic abilities. The strangler is able to grapple a survivor from medium range and drag them over the ground to himself. He then choke-holds the survivor until they can be executed (when they are low HP) or are rescued. In a 1 on 1 fight the strangler can kill anyone very quickly. He can also use his ability to drag survivors down vents or drop down with them while he is choking them.

His insta-kill attack is launched from wall vents where he instantly pulls a survivor in to their demise. The Strangler is NOT spawned in after the kill.

The killers can lay Traps which will ensnare a survivor for a few seconds or until they are rescued. The traps are visible and can be disarmed. Traps are only settable in predator mode.

The killers can also plant Gas on the scrap loot found throughout the game. The gas will go off when a survivor loots the scrap - making their vision blurry and controls reversed for a few seconds, incapacitating them. A gassed survivor cannot do anything until the gas effect wears off.

The Survivors [list]
The Survivors in LY are all high school age teens - each character has a different skin and voice acting but the classes are the only thing which differentiates them further. The jock and the prom queen both have the same HP and the prom queen can be the assault class if they choose.

[removed discord info - ROD MOD]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Bowsette can get it

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
F13 has upgraded to "idk gotta talk to ppl again" rather than "deffo dead as poo poo" recently so :shrug:

hoping last year will be not poo poo but i'm honestly not that encouraged at the moment. the streams i've seen doesn't make it look like there's any genuine passion for the game, unlike when GUN was making F13 and their love for their work was oozing off every word they said.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Coolguye posted:

F13 has upgraded to "idk gotta talk to ppl again" rather than "deffo dead as poo poo" recently so :shrug:

hoping last year will be not poo poo but i'm honestly not that encouraged at the moment. the streams i've seen doesn't make it look like there's any genuine passion for the game, unlike when GUN was making F13 and their love for their work was oozing off every word they said.

I dunno Coolguy - take a look at the STEAM charts: https://steamcharts.com/app/438740#6m

The playerbase has been steadily imploding - there's about 500 die hards still playing but that's nothing great. The devs shot themselves in the foot when they basically announced: "We can't work on this game any more." They could have been "everything is on pause" but they elected to ditch all hope for new content.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah don't get me wrong F13 is still as dead as jason after part 4 until they at minimum release the jason x content they teased back like 6 months ago. you might still be able to open the game but that poo poo is not living. there's a reason i'm cautiously watching Last Year, i have zero hope of F13 coming back.

that said, things aren't quite as definitive as they were just last week.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I shall lurk here, as any good murderer should

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Tripped on a post and fell to my death.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the assassination of the f13 thread by the coward tinfoil papercut

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 18, 2018

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Coolguye posted:

yeah don't get me wrong F13 is still as dead as jason after part 4 until they at minimum release the jason x content they teased back like 6 months ago. you might still be able to open the game but that poo poo is not living. there's a reason i'm cautiously watching Last Year, i have zero hope of F13 coming back.

that said, things aren't quite as definitive as they were just last week.

I'm pretty sure they even announced after the lawsuit over the f13 rights there's no way they can even release the Jason X stuff now unless by some miracle the parties fighting over the IP say "No, that's okay game devs, just release your game and content, we'll all agree to honor your current contracts and then figure out how to split the revenues between us, that's our conflict not yours!" Of course who knows if they really even finished that Jason X stuff, so much as saw the writing on the wall and just stopped.

So Dead by Daylight isn't as terrible as goons and everyone who ragequit it a year ago made it seem. I don't know if it's just had extra time to mature and the devs have tilted the balance to be a little better, or if it's just the majority of folks playing it after it went free on playstation haven't quite found how to break it over their knee yet. It's definitely a flawed game, and really breaks down if the survivors have voice com, but tbh I think it makes for a much better multiplayer game than F13. F13 is a fun Jason simulator but unless you're just goofing off and trying to gently caress over other counselors, it's not really fun if you're not Jason. I'm hopeful stuff like Last Year's respawn mechanic strikes a balance between the whole "The killer doesn't really feel like a killer (for the sake of game balance)" and "Well of course you can't fight or escape, the monster always wins! (for the sake of horror theme)."
But yeah gonna second the playerbase for Dead by Daylight even on ps4 is toxic as gently caress, with random pubbies DCing if they're the first caught by the killer, and you get constant rage messages post match. It feels pretty good though when someone trying to farm you for points fucks up and winds up dying on the hook. That said it's also funny that even though hook camping is now penalized pointwise, and is usually a losing tactic that gets you 1 or maybe 2 kills, many killers still babysit even when it's clear the other players are just gonna use the time to get 2-3 generators done.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
No idea how dead it is on PC, but Friday The 13th The Game is doing pretty well on PS4 since they made it free with PlayStation Plus this month

Also Dead by Daylight is boring and way too one dimensional in gameplay, as someone in the F13 thread noted it's basically just tag in video game form

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

drrockso20 posted:

No idea how dead it is on PC, but Friday The 13th The Game is doing pretty well on PS4 since they made it free with PlayStation Plus this month

Woo! I was getting worried, because I just downloaded it yesterday on PS4

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjNRRn2-zS0

http://www.hidden-source.com/

please do not forget about the original kind of like these games

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I play the Friday the 13th game on PS4 and will gladly murder goons as Jason. PSN name's the same as my SA name.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

On the other hand i revel in the hate messages i get in Dead by Daylight that i get when i play Hag and i just don't get that playing F13, it's a much more chill game in comparison i find even though both games scoring systems go by the "eh, you did well enough on a personal basis to win so whatever"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PSN name is DrRockso_20

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

The Shame Boy posted:

On the other hand i revel in the hate messages i get in Dead by Daylight that i get when i play Hag and i just don't get that playing F13, it's a much more chill game in comparison i find even though both games scoring systems go by the "eh, you did well enough on a personal basis to win so whatever"

yeah they're pretty funny, especially when a smug dork who died and got less points than you is bragging about why they're the better player -or the opposite, when you piss off a killer enough that he chases you the whole game and brags that he finally killed you (and let 3 other dudes escape alive)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Frog Act posted:

the original kind of like these games

Ah, the glory days of AVP 2000 species multiplayer with player ratios set to around 1:3:5 Predators/Marines/Aliens.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 22, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Ah, the glory days of AVP 2000 species multiplayer with player ratios set to around 1:3:5 Predators/Marines/Aliens.

i'm just immortalizing this because you're inevitably going to fix your post

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Coolguye posted:

i'm just immortalizing this because you're inevitably going to fix your post

:negative:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've been wondering if you can truly make a competitive game a horror game. Certainly these games have the superficial trappings of horror: blood, tense music, dark environments, scratches, flickering lightbulbs, rusts, hooks, ghosts, zombies... but outside of the startling moment of the killer being where you didn't expect him to be, can these games really be called scary? They're not absorbing in the same was as traditional horror games can be, simply by the hectic nature of competitive gaming, which means you can't really put yourself in your character's shoes as much. And since these games are meant to be played over and over with different people, you'll see every horrifying moment hundreds of times before you truly master the game, completely gutting their effectiveness. Then there's the fact that you're using voice chat...

Doesn't make them bad, just a thought exercise.

Coolguye posted:

the assassination of the f13 thread by the coward tinfoil papercut

I resent being forced to post in a thread that calls Dead By Daylight not bad.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 22, 2018

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
As middling as the design and presentation of LAST YEAR is, I'm still intrigued to see how it'll all play out. Like the trap system and killer being easy to take down in a group seems to be a huge part of the game, so how is it going to play? How is it going to encourage players to split up and take risks? We've seen so little and I want to know so much!

Also.

Lurdiak posted:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
That's not saying it's good.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Also the more I see of Hide or Die the less optimistic I am for it. Current builds looks like the killer is a survivor with an axe. The gameplay demo they showed seems to very intentionally obscure any clear shot of the killer.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I've been wondering if you can truly make a competitive game a horror game. Certainly these games have the superficial trappings of horror: blood, tense music, dark environments, scratches, flickering lightbulbs, rusts, hooks, ghosts, zombies... but outside of the startling moment of the killer being where you didn't expect him to be, can these games really be called scary? They're not absorbing in the same was as traditional horror games can be, simply by the hectic nature of competitive gaming, which means you can't really put yourself in your character's shoes as much. And since these games are meant to be played over and over with different people, you'll see every horrifying moment hundreds of times before you truly master the game, completely gutting their effectiveness. Then there's the fact that you're using voice chat...

I dunno I've gotten spooked quite a few times playing F13 as a Counselor

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there's been a few sessions of F13 where I've had legit anxiety. My friend got pretty scared the first time he played it as well.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think the funniest moment I ever had in that game was as Jason, chasing around a group of like four people who were audibly plotting to kill me. The ringleader stops to loot a shelf, I turn on Sneak and get behind him, he turns around. "OH FOR gently caress'S SAKE"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

When tech advances to the point that dynamically generated maps are reliably as good to play on as pre-designed ones, combined with having players only use in-game communication (this will probably never be enforceable outside of competitive/LAN environments but it'd be nice if people did it more just to get in the mood)... maybe. The enhanced interactivity and immersion of VR could come into play here as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

drrockso20 posted:

I dunno I've gotten spooked quite a few times playing F13 as a Counselor

It can definitely jump scare, that's for sure.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Playing F13 with a good set of head phones can definitely give me a good spooking.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TheBizzness posted:

Playing F13 with a good set of head phones can definitely give me a good spooking.

Agreed, it plays best with headphones

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Modern Warfare 2 used to make you go into game chat if you were in a Xbox 360 party in any game mode outside of the designated Team Tactical gamemode. No game in Cod or any game since then has made you do that. For quite obvious reasons as the internet slowly turned into a cesspool overtime but i would kinda like to see a return to that for games like these. Dead by Daylight could certainly take advantage of it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
There is no way you actually enforce that outside of a dedicated server/active moderator though. It's just not happening.

Group of friends, sure.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I brought this up in the Friday the 13th chat, but it's about this...

Lurdiak posted:

Which, whilst said tongue in cheek (on my part anyway haha), is something that really upsets me, because I WANT to love Dead by Daylight so much. I love the killers, I love all the movie slashers popping up but there's something about the game that puts me off. Something more fundamental than the mechanics and the balancing issues. It's the little fact that the killers... they don't kill anyone.

Call me a sick bastard if you want, but I can't help but feel that if the game hinged more on killing the survivors, rather than having a elder-god eat them I'd love it. But as it stands now, whether you're playing as a ghost, Myers or Leatherface, at the end of the day you're just hobbling these kids and that's it.

I know it'd require a massive overhaul to the game as a whole. But if, instead of hooking your victims at certain points, you got some horrific execution scene instead I'd feel like I was actually doing something. Y'know? Does that make sense?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I don't like DbD because it feels less like "survivors running and hiding from killer" and more "4 dudes bully sad clown" in practice. I think White Noise 2 gets the feeling of being the spooky being down a lot better, not only because the sanity and horror effects are a lot more intense, but because the killer gets stronger the longer the game goes on, which makes them a lot more intimidating. (The way to defend yourself in White Noise 2 is shining a flashlight at the monster. They'll get stunned, then teleport away after a few seconds of being able to move again, and the length of time you can walk around after being stunned gets longer and longer the more times you're stunned.) and DbD has no similar mechanic. Survivors can self-heal as many times as they want (as no one in the world doesn't run that perk) and a killer endgame is no more powerful than one at the start, and is no more likely to be able to get a kill, barring certain specific perks.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Drunken Baker posted:

I brought this up in the Friday the 13th chat, but it's about this...

Which, whilst said tongue in cheek (on my part anyway haha), is something that really upsets me, because I WANT to love Dead by Daylight so much. I love the killers, I love all the movie slashers popping up but there's something about the game that puts me off. Something more fundamental than the mechanics and the balancing issues. It's the little fact that the killers... they don't kill anyone.

Call me a sick bastard if you want, but I can't help but feel that if the game hinged more on killing the survivors, rather than having a elder-god eat them I'd love it. But as it stands now, whether you're playing as a ghost, Myers or Leatherface, at the end of the day you're just hobbling these kids and that's it.

I know it'd require a massive overhaul to the game as a whole. But if, instead of hooking your victims at certain points, you got some horrific execution scene instead I'd feel like I was actually doing something. Y'know? Does that make sense?

Killing someone is a game mechanic you unlock through perks and offerings. There's actually a lot more options than there was at launch.

Reverse bear-trap
Any Mori offering
Hex: Devour Hope
Rancor
Tombstone / Judith's Tombstone (Myers)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I still think the Myers tombstone is kinda lovely.

Yay, my idiot teammates fed Myers and he gets to instantly kill me despite this being the first time he's seen me all game because i've been avoiding him like a clever person!

It's kind of the problem I have with Rancor too. I get why it was introduced but being Rancor'd at the end game is ugh. I don't think i'll ever run that perk as killer. Feels super scummy.

Drunken Baker posted:

It's the little fact that the killers... they don't kill anyone.

Call me a sick bastard if you want, but I can't help but feel that if the game hinged more on killing the survivors, rather than having a elder-god eat them I'd love it.

I thought it was part of the lore that the killers are being toyed with too which is why they have to do the sacrifice bullshit?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah I really think many of those DbD complaints are based on where the game was at before a bunch of changes. At it's core though yeah it's a lot more 'gamified' and adds artifice that makes it feel more like a slasher themed vs game than an attempt to capture the dread of a horror movie as a game. So I totally see where between that and earlier questionable decisions to overly balance towards helping survivors why it doesn't sit right for a bunch of people.

I'm hoping they reverse the score punishment on healing though. Especially now that there's a hook camping penalty. But I also can see why they want to discourage hook babysitting since it's a losing strategy for killers usually once you're not facing new players.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the lore is that killers are former survivors that have lost all hope of ever escaping the Entity's domain and now work for it because it's preferable to getting killed forever.

it's still not a delightful existence, mind.

also my hot take on why DbD is bad is because it has fewer core mechanics than literal schoolyard tag and they just keep hanging a bunch of random mechanics off this insanely fragile basis so nothing feels sane/makes sense/works nicely. due to the lacking core, most anything you do has a good chance of breaking poo poo, so the game's default status is wonky as gently caress.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Coolguye posted:

the lore is that killers are former survivors that have lost all hope of ever escaping the Entity's domain and now work for it because it's preferable to getting killed forever.

it's still not a delightful existence, mind.

also my hot take on why DbD is bad is because it has fewer core mechanics than literal schoolyard tag and they just keep hanging a bunch of random mechanics off this insanely fragile basis so nothing feels sane/makes sense/works nicely. due to the lacking core, most anything you do has a good chance of breaking poo poo, so the game's default status is wonky as gently caress.

You're more than entitled to your opinion. I think once you fully learn all the mechanics and how they interact it can be fun. You get poo poo on some games - but there's few things as satisfying as downing some douche who' has been teabagging you with a well-executed mindgame.

Opinions aside, the game is healthy:

https://steamcharts.com/app/381210

Compared to:

https://steamcharts.com/app/438740

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i always find it hilarious when someone brings up stuff like this up like it says anything about the game's quality. candy crush is more 'healthy' than the other two combined, it doesn't make the game good or well designed, it just makes it accessible.

also, i played DbD for something like 80 hours and was routinely in 5 or less ranking on both killer and survivor. i know how the game works, unless we want to assert you have to play it for 100+ to truly grok the game (which is a pretty big indictment of it all on its own). it works like poo poo.