Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I like Resistance a hell of a lot more than i thought i would. Just wish being Mastermind didn't mean waiting in queue for 20 minutes. I think it is part people wanting to play that role more and part some matchmaking shenanigans. Sometimes queue is super short around 1-3 minutes then othertimes (most of the time) it's like 10+

I dare say it's...balanced? I have had games be a stomp in both directions so i suppose that's a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

I dare say it's...balanced? I have had games be a stomp in both directions so i suppose that's a good thing.

Don't you bring that evil in here.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Orv posted:

Don't you bring that evil in here.

I will dispel the evil fog i have brought by saying that now i've gotten some more playtime in, it's pretty clear that Masterminds are weakest right when you unlock them. You will have lovely premade decks you can't edit until Level 5 and even then you will still want to level up more to unlock better cards and passive abilities which means playing as the same Mastermind over and over, more than likely getting some frustrating losses in until you can manage to tweak things. Meanwhile the survivors are strong out of the gate and don't need any additional gear or any unlocks to be decent. You just have to work together a bit when in an actual match to not get destroyed.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Totally forgot I bought DbD and I remember enjoying it for a while as killers before something shiny took away my attention. Had an okay match as Trapper. Didn't tunnel anyone, they got three gens done before the first one died. Second one disconnected when I hooked them. Got the last two. It was simply run of the mill killer wins, didn't dominate or do any lovely poo poo.

me: gg

gently caress you oval office

pussy rear end gently caress

This poo poo cracks me up.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Every time I see something like that I miss the Friday the 13th community, where no one gave a gently caress who won or lost, as long as it was funny

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Well, I've been enjoying DbD as the Trapper. People use the same routes and you really can lock down a game fairly quick. Using the carry two perk seems a bit OP, but that's just me. I guess as I rank up I'll start being matched with people who know other tactics.

That said, in a few days there is a new killer being released! Seems like people are all clamoring for Candyman or Pennywise.

I've also been watching DbD streams on Twitch while working and it's quite enjoyable. DbD makes for a good background game to spectate. A lot of games aren't like that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Philthy posted:

Totally forgot I bought DbD and I remember enjoying it for a while as killers before something shiny took away my attention. Had an okay match as Trapper. Didn't tunnel anyone, they got three gens done before the first one died. Second one disconnected when I hooked them. Got the last two. It was simply run of the mill killer wins, didn't dominate or do any lovely poo poo.

me: gg

gently caress you oval office

pussy rear end gently caress

This poo poo cracks me up.

Always remember in DbD the thing the killer isn't supposed to do by some bizarre 'gentleman's agreement' that I've never actually seen is what helps them win the game. I got sick of it after the umpteenth 'how dare you use <Perk>' when they've all got Dead Hard and Decisive Strike and etc. Especially when there's like... let's say three killers with genuine map pressure.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
With Franklin's Demise, all killers can apply map pressure.

edit: Seriously though, every time I think about picking back up DBD I can just look at my steam profile and I get all the best parts of it. I guess at some point I'm gonna drag myself back to prestiging The Ghost Face though.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 22, 2020

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I don't mind the unwritten rules really. I'm just having a chill fun time playing, and I think watching so many streams has desensitized me to people getting salty over literally anything. It's funny. Still havin' fun, so I'll keep playin'.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Honestly lightborn is the best perk because survivors will just keep trying to blind you even well after they should have figured out you're using it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
New killer: Pyramid Head! "The Executioner"

Looks great, map looks great.

Cross play with PC/PS4/XB1/Switch coming by end of year! Anyone who has played Call of Duty which also has cross play this way knows it's a loving amazing move. HUGE pool of players, and as odd as it sounds, the console warriors can be just as brutal - the kbm superiority was not such an issue as people thought.

Graphics update coming! Higher res textures and looks real nice also!

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 26, 2020

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

We did it, we found the one studio that understands what makes Silent Hill less than Konami.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honour rules in dead by daylight is just a free salt generator. I'll tunnel and camp anyone. I'm not here to make sure they have a good game, i'm here to make sure i have a fun game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'd always heard Dead by Daylight runs terribly on PS4 (framerate issues, mainly), but I have no idea how reliable that is.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PlasticAutomaton posted:

We did it, we found the one studio that understands what makes Silent Hill less than Konami.

Didn't think it possible and yet here we are

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

DeathChicken posted:

I'd always heard Dead by Daylight runs terribly on PS4 (framerate issues, mainly), but I have no idea how reliable that is.

It's not great, but it's certainly playable, I played it for about 12-18 months before I switched to PC.

On the whole crossplay thing, I honestly don't think it will matter much. DBD is not particularly mechanics-heavy. As someone who played on console and then moved to PC and continued using a controller on PC (sorry, I could never get used to kbm), it doesn't matter. Rank 1 survivor and killer using a controller on PC, and when I play killer I only play Deathslinger, Trapper, and Doctor. I'm not even very good at killer, it's just about predicting behavior. I'm more interested in what happens to lobbies - on PS4, survivor lobbies took forever but killer was instant, and on PC I find it is the opposite.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also Walter Sullivan would have fit the game design much better than Pyramid Head. But I guess he wouldn't pull in the "Milk Pyramid Head for all he's worth" bucks

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I watch a bunch of Twitch streamers who play DbD on PS4 and it looks fine, and maybe even faster in some aspects than on my PC so I dunno.

The only Silent Hill I enjoyed playing was the first one, and the only thing I liked about SH2 was Pyramid Head, so... I'm glad to see it in DbD. I'm watching him being played on the new map and it looks cool. He looks likes like he has some pretty great anti-looping attacks.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DeathChicken posted:

Also Walter Sullivan would have fit the game design much better than Pyramid Head. But I guess he wouldn't pull in the "Milk Pyramid Head for all he's worth" bucks

I also would've accepted Memory of Alessa from the SH3 hospital.

It's bordering on genuinely impressive how many people are seemingly determined to not understand Silent Hill 2. I'm more annoyed by this DBD crossover than I thought I'd be.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Pyramid Head looks aggressively silly moving at DbD killer speed.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

PlasticAutomaton posted:

They called her Cheryl Mason. They understand it just fine. They clearly wanted to grab bits and pieces to represent the original three games to an audience that is probably only a little familiar with it.

Like it ain't Silent Hills but loving whatever, ship has sailed on that one. At least they're all in a horror (themed) game this time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TGLT posted:

They called her Cheryl Mason. They understand it just fine. They clearly wanted to grab bits and pieces to represent the original three games to an audience that is probably only a little familiar with it.

Like it ain't Silent Hills but loving whatever, ship has sailed on that one. At least they're all in a horror (themed) game this time.

The problem, and alarm bells related to the problem, of that is that the only time Pyramid Head and Cheryl have been linked together was Silent Hill The 3D One What Were Pyramid Head Was A Super Hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gAJWGYRHVU

Blast this over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J5EOxZE1rc

This and you'll get why this specific pairing maybe should have been avoided.

And that's just the most surface level "Wow really" of this.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yes, I watched that movie. Young sexy Vincent still boggles my mind.

This isn't a new Silent Hill game, it's just a neat crossover that pays homage to a bunch of different poo poo. Harry Mason is a non-character and James Sunderland is not a good fit for DBD. Heather knew full well what Silent Hill was and still went in to box some bitch's ears off. She's the best choice.

No one cares about Walter Sullivan or Incubus. Memory of Alessa might have been interesting but it's easy to see how that would get confusing for players, and it would have left SH2 unrepresented.

If you really need some lore justification, I think some one on the original team somewhere said that Silent Hill keeps a catalogue of all the monsters it's made in case it wants to double dip. If you're sending out some one to The Fog Dimension, might as well be your High Grade Punish Boi. edit: or the chaos option of Mary/Maria

TGLT fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 27, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also for better or worse Pyramid Head is the iconic monster who fits the way Dead by Daylight functions as a game. He's big, scary, chases the player around enclosed spaces, he's got a very recognisable visual design from a distance.

Like, if you ask a random person for a SIlent Hill monster Pyramid Head is one of the ones most people will be able to mention, and he's the model upon which several other video game monsters have later been built. Heck on the lore angle for Dead by Daylight the entire thing is that the Entity feasts of fear/pain/punishment of the survivors, and that's basically Pyramid Heads job, punishing people who desire it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

God DBD fuckin sucks, I saw the Cheryl and Pyramid Head stuff via a streamer on the PTB earlier and groaned so hard, can't wait to watch Pyramid Head be a completely defanged punching bag like all the other killers.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
What sucks about it? Everything I saw looked pretty great. The streamers first impressions were all pretty good. He has some finishing move bugs, but otherwise seemed to be designed around shutting down loops immediately. The new level looked pretty fantastic as well, they nailed the Silent Hill theme pretty good. The survivors who played it have been mixed because a lot of those rooms are traps.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, Pyramid Head is strong. He's particularly good at any loop he can watch people over which is basically the entirety of Midwich. The only issues I've seen crop up for PH players is when they overuse their cage or go for bad shots they can't hit. Those two are gonna go away as people realize the cage is a tool, not an obligation, and that his wave attack punishes hard on a whiff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Can PH actually apply some form of map pressure?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Him being strong means nothing because this is DBD and the killer you see in the PTB is going to be nothing like the one that actually gets released once they find out people are enjoying it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Can PH actually apply some form of map pressure?

If you mean does he tools specifically for it, sort of. He's normal movement speed, but the judgment trails stick around for a very long time and survivors either crouch walk over them or you get to know where they are. You can't use your ranged attack as freely Huntress or Plague, but he's real good at nailing people at loops or in tight spots. Dumping people into cages is a great alternative to slugging and you can speed kill people in the late game to stay on the offensive.

Basically it looks like he's geared to be a low down time killer which means more time generating pressure.

edit: Having finally got in some games as him instead of just against him, his ability to bully people at vaults and pallets is great. It's like winding up a hatchet throw as huntress but with basically zero commitment. If they drop you let 'er rip, if they don't you slap them for not dropping. Using ANC to harass people through walls is also fun. Blind shots through walls during chases are probably too risky but they're satisfying when you land them.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 28, 2020

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
One thing I've seen people doing is when someone is about to corner, they preaim the corner and his effect goes through the corner and out the other side and into them. You basically will need to learn to not loop against him and instead go between loop points to loop points trying to stretch your distance as much as possible. He sorta is like a nurse with unlimited shots through objects. You can even fake people out by simply right clicking quick to make a clank noise and the person running will start to juke as you simply gain.

Unrelated question:

I've started to play Hag a bit and I've seen some videos of better players being teleported and insta-hitting the person who tripped it. How is this possible? I've got my bind set well, and the last match I even saw someone running to a trap so I was pre-hitting the teleport button and when they tripped it, I teleported but they were still out of range. I wasn't using any of the add-ons that extend range. Is there something else that will speed up the teleporting that I haven't gotten yet or an add-on that shrinks the range so I'll be right on top of them?

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 28, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, I put down a meg doing that. I'm curious to see how play against him develops. It seems like right now survivors need to be picky about the loops they run to and look for any opportunity to punish a bad shot.

Wish the PTB just gave us all perks so I could try I'm All Ears out on him. Seems like aura reading perks are just a really good fit for him.

edit: For hag hits out of teleport, you basically want to be clicking the attack button the moment you start teleporting. You'll auto-track and pop them. If it's still not hitting, I dunno might be lag. Scratch that, was checking around to refresh my memory and it looks like at the moment you might actually wanna wait a split second then swing.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 28, 2020

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've had a surprisingly hard time looking this up: What do the giant hands around a survivor icon mean? Does that mean they're about get sacrificed on the next hook?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

I've had a surprisingly hard time looking this up: What do the giant hands around a survivor icon mean? Does that mean they're about get sacrificed on the next hook?

Are they big white fingers that sometimes shake? That means some one is the obsession which matters for a few different perks. If it's shaking, it also means they're being chased.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TGLT posted:

If it's shaking, it also means they're being chased.

Wait are you serious I always wondered about that

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Danaru posted:

Wait are you serious I always wondered about that

Yup. It was something they added a bit back to bring a (v tiny) modicum of parity between SWF and solo queue.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Does this still have consumable perks where you only get to play with powerful perks if you saved up enough of them or p2w?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

There is no p2w in DBD and I don't think there ever was. You can buy cosmetics, but you can't buy add-ons or items or whatever, you can only buy those with bloodpoints and you only earn bloodpoints by playing the game.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The only thing that might be considered pay to win is buying killers for their teachable perks so you can use them on a killer you prefer, but that would be a stretch, IMO. You still need to level those killers up pretty high to unlock the teachables.

Also, asked one of the PS4 streamers if he ever plays Hag and he said he doesn't play Hag or Demogorgon because on PS4 the framerate is poo poo. Every killer he's been playing otherwise looks decent, so.. Wonder if they'll reserve the graphics update coming this year for the next gen consoles then.

Starting to enjoy the hag more tho. Got two 4ks and one 3k(They had a key) out of the three games I played. I can't insta-hit people, but when you port you generally almost always get a hit if you just push forward anyhows. Stringing traps along 3 gens that are where you find your survivors and you're popping all over the entire area hitting people left and right. It's nuts and super fun.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nurse on PS4 is a whole other level of bad as well, don't put yourself through that agony.

*Teleports* - *3/4 of the framerate dies on the spot*