Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I like taking methylphenidate myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

I like taking methylphenidate myself.

I think that counts as a "highly illegal stimulant" unless you've got a script

could try kratom in a low dose (like half a gram), just don't end up like those goons in TCC who spend thousands on the weird extracts that are probably novel rc opioids

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

*meanwhile blasting 70mg of vyvanse*, huh?

jfc reacquiring strength is a terrible process once you stop training (I stopped in 2019, life happened). then when I got back to it was with just running and some basic yoga/pilates stuff, then pandemic so no gyms. the body has the reflexes/awareness of the state you were, not are and feels like a terrible confusion all around

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dead gay comedy forums posted:

the body has the reflexes/awareness of the state you were, not are and feels like a terrible confusion all around

I can see myself dying because I refuse to take stairs anything but two at a time well into my eighties

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I've completely hit the wall in my training. New goal is to be this guy next winter

https://youtu.be/6IzNfoXsOWs

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011

Business Gorillas posted:

Maybe something in between, like creatine or something

i mean theres nicotine, but ill guess you dont wanna do that. ephedrine is otc and smooths out high caffeine doses in my experience (also will basically completely suppress appetite which is what its primarily used for). don't recommend doing that unless youre in reasonable shape though.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
My gym is reopening in a couple of days because even though gyms cannot be open here right now, martial arts training facilities can, and they used to offer cardio kickboxing classes before covid :D

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

some sort of fish posted:

i mean theres nicotine, but ill guess you dont wanna do that. ephedrine is otc and smooths out high caffeine doses in my experience (also will basically completely suppress appetite which is what its primarily used for). don't recommend doing that unless youre in reasonable shape though.

rewarding yourself with a cigarette for doing workouts is insanely effective

pavlovian conditioning works!

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

how is brosciencelife still going after 10 years. this guy is a master of the craft

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dead gay comedy forums posted:

rewarding yourself with a cigarette for doing workouts is insanely effective

pavlovian conditioning works!

i asked a doctor friend "hey if i'm super active and i get to smoke 2 cigs a day is that cool"

and he was like "huh...i gotta run the numbers but i'm pretty sure, yeah"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

some sort of fish posted:

Habitual ephedrine use as a stimulant is really not a good idea, stay safe out there stimugoons

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
pain? lol

lmao :yaycat: pain is an illusion, my friends

it doesn't exist :yeeclaw:

i could run forever if i wanted to

but i'm taking it easy, just running a couple miles here and there, getting back in the habit :yaycat: satan made this possible! thank you, satan! :350:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I can do pull-upS now instead of just pull-up

fear my rippling greek god body

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I can do pull-upS now instead of just pull-up

fear my rippling greek god body

im losing weight pretty hard so I am supposing that I should go lean all the way to get some drat pull ups going

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pull-ups rule so hard, i love them. so satisfying

i thought dips would translate well to muscle-ups but i am wrong. this is gonna build my boobs

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

lol i could've sworn i had jogged at least 3 miles, maybe even 4

when i stopped it was actually only 2.3 miles lol

still doing something, tho

i've put on 30 pounds since...uh....maybe last july-ish?

so compared to the jogging i was doing before, this is like if i had a 30 pound backpack on rofl :yaycat:

not all of it's fat, but i'm sure a considerable amount is

i've been working as a mover and picking up and putting down heavy things, so i must have gained some muscle

the good news is that if that is true, then i'll have less weight to lose in fat before i'm ripped, which is the goal :yeeclaw: also, when i do get there my legs will just be somewhat stronger because i'm moving more weight at the moment

stretching is so loving important lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

whats the current hotness in terms of workout routines?

ive made my own one for home that works pretty well but im curious

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Communist Thoughts posted:

Probably Stronger by Science templates for strength training, they are like $5-10 bucks for a bunch

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

What equipment do you have?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Greg Legg posted:

I've completely hit the wall in my training. New goal is to be this guy next winter

https://youtu.be/6IzNfoXsOWs

КроссФит

man I love kettlebell anything

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I need advice because I think Im overdoing ithow can you tell if your overdoing it?

I started jogging again fall of 2020 and I finally broke five miles consistently back in November. Not all that fast, 9/9.5 min per mile, but I live in an area thats moderately hilly and Im dropping weight and its great for anxiety so Im happy. But the last couple weeks have been just an anxiety bomb both in my personal life and at work so Ive been going every day M-F last week and this. I feel fine physically and Im not having trouble finishing but Im worried that this is too much for my body. But if its not Id like to keep it up because Ive been feeling really good about it

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I need advice because I think Im overdoing ithow can you tell if your overdoing it?

I started jogging again fall of 2020 and I finally broke five miles consistently back in November. Not all that fast, 9/9.5 min per mile, but I live in an area thats moderately hilly and Im dropping weight and its great for anxiety so Im happy. But the last couple weeks have been just an anxiety bomb both in my personal life and at work so Ive been going every day M-F last week and this. I feel fine physically and Im not having trouble finishing but Im worried that this is too much for my body. But if its not Id like to keep it up because Ive been feeling really good about it

I'm no expert but as long as you have built up to it gradually you're probably fine as long as you aren't trying to set PRs with every run. I hope whatever is causing your anxiety gets worked out though!

I really miss running. The closest thing I ever had to religious experience was in the middle of one of my long training runs when I did my third (and last) marathon.

Karach posted:

КроссФит

man I love kettlebell anything

It's awesome!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I need advice because I think I’m overdoing it—how can you tell if your overdoing it?

I started jogging again fall of 2020 and I finally broke five miles consistently back in November. Not all that fast, 9/9.5 min per mile, but I live in an area that’s moderately hilly and I’m dropping weight and it’s great for anxiety so I’m happy. But the last couple weeks have been just an anxiety bomb both in my personal life and at work so I’ve been going every day M-F last week and this. I feel fine physically and I’m not having trouble finishing but I’m worried that this is too much for my body. But if it’s not I’d like to keep it up because I’ve been feeling really good about it

in my experience if you're overdoing it you will know, both in the short term "ah I did too many miles in one run and now my knees hosed up and I have to take time off" and longer term "ok my legs are consistently cramping I should scale it back some." basically "does anything hurt? no? you're probably fine" is imo a good rule. listen to your body it will let you know if you're hurting it.

another good rule: slow down and run longer. try a 10:30 pace for 7 miles or 11 minutes for 10 or whatever, varied with shorter, faster runs. but also don't increase weekly mileage by more than 10% (except if you're doing a training program that warrants it, maybe). mixed running between slow long, mid-tempo medium, and fast short or intervals is a good way to build more rounded running skills and reduce injury, and will benefit you more than just doing the same 5 mile, same pace run every time. I used to run a 5k every day pretty much exclusively and now do more mixed runs and it's way better.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Thank you both! I really appreciate it. Im not really feeling any significant signs from my body other than normal soreness in the evening and early morning so Im going to keep going and just pay attention to my body. Ive built up pretty slowly over the last year and a half so its not really adding significantly to individual runs so much as not taking a day off in between like I had been. My ultimate goal is to get up to an hour/6.5 miles consistently and see where that takes me, but I can definitely see the benefit of alternating shorter/harder and longer/slower.

Im early 40s and I spent the back half of my 30s let myself go so its just been nice to get back into it

Anyway. Greatly appreciate the peace of mind and encouragement, both of you!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Greg Legg posted:

What equipment do you have?

Barbell and bench and 20, 10, 5 and 2.5kg plates
No rack yet though which is an issue for the good routines

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

despite being an atheist, running definitely feels like a religious experience to me

i actively taunt the gods to keep myself going and i feel like it angers then when i don't give up :yaycat: gently caress em, they can go gently caress themselves lol hail satan :yeeclaw:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cycle touring is where you really see god tbh. i nearly died a half-dozen times and i think about each one every day and wish i could go back

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
it is -5F outside time to shove handwarmers in my wrestling shoes and go deadlift

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Petey posted:

it is -5F outside time to shove handwarmers in my wrestling shoes and go deadlift

The energy I give out from my deadlifting would be enough to warm the greater Boston area.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I squatted today actually

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I never gave a poo poo about aesthetics or strict dieting. I was always content to be some CrossFitting bear looking loving with disproportionate deadlift and squat and clean. Get that furnace going hot enough and itll burn anything. Was also just working through smoldering alcoholism at the time (my life)

But this is day 21 of dry January and strict paleo and yall

At age 36 I still got it. Ive honestly never looked so much like the general idea of a gym bro.

Thinking of going RP starting February.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
RP equals roleplay? perhaps as a good poster?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Petey posted:

gently caress. gently caress

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Barbell and bench and 20, 10, 5 and 2.5kg plates
No rack yet though which is an issue for the good routines

I haven't trained with a rack or a bench for I think 6 years now. If you look up Dan John he has a lot of routines that you can run with just a bar and some weights. They are boring but effective.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Petey posted:

:golfclap:

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Petey posted:

Brutal

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Destroyed my hamstring then immediately contacted covid. Shocking new technique to destroy gains LQQK HERE

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Petey posted:

hey, this thread doesn't have a tagline...just saying mods make it happen

it is 25f out today and I'm debating if I want to do 5 miles today and 9 tomorrow, or 9 today and 5 tomorrow. cold weather running rules

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Petey posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Destroyed my hamstring then immediately contacted covid. Shocking new technique to destroy gains LQQK HERE

i did this but with food poisoning followed by some horrible tropic disease that somehow wasnt covid. took 260 lbs off my deadlift lol