Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
The gym is closed today :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

2020 resolution: do a pull-up ✅
2021 resolution: do 3x5 pull-ups ✅
2022 resolution: do a pull-up into a muscle-up ❌

had a (very minor) stroke in march that put me in bed for two months straight, gained twenty pounds

2023 resolution: do a pull-up ❓

i think it's finally, finally time to track calories, which probably means quitting weed vapes

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

went to the gym 86 times in 2022, probably more than the sum total of all prior years

goin in tomorrow to continue lifting baby weights

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

i say swears online posted:

diet is easily my biggest weakpoint. nothing hits better than a million tortilla chips after a long jog

Same. With my toddler's breakfast rotation I am also eating cereal for the first time in probably 20 years.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Maxed out on the home gym so now it's time to spend some quality time back with the squat rack

2023 goals
- 6 plate squat 5x5
- 4 plate bench 5x5
- 400 lb deadlift 1x5
- do a chinup
- learn to swim
- drop 35lbs of fat
:toot:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

tortilla chips are win

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Business Gorillas posted:

Maxed out on the home gym so now it's time to spend some quality time back with the squat rack

2023 goals
- 6 plate squat 5x5
- 4 plate bench 5x5
- 400 lb deadlift 1x5
- do a chinup
- learn to swim
- drop 35lbs of fat
:toot:

Well done on the progress gentlegoon but an X plate lift is plates per side not in total. Good luck w your goals this year :cheers:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Heres a good deal on whey isolate:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Nutrition-Animal-Isolate-Supplement/dp/B00XQ94L02

If you do subscribe-n-save for strawberry, vanilla, or cookies n cream theres a 40% off coupon so its like $27. Just dont forget to cancel :D

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drat i only see a 5% off coupon there

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Well done on the progress gentlegoon but an X plate lift is plates per side not in total. Good luck w your goals this year :cheers:

I think you simply dont understand gorilla physiology bro.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

try clicking through .. do subscribe n save, and make sure you have a 4lb container of vanilla, strawberry, or cookies n cream. it applied it at checkout for me

i did it like an hour ago, i hope it still works :ohdear:

TheSlutPit posted:

I think you simply dont understand gorilla physiology bro.

could be, but i once made the same mistake IRL and got outed as a n00b .. hoping to spare others my eternal shame

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I can bang out chin ups relatively easily but I can not lift what you people are lifting

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

I can bang out chin ups relatively easily but I can not lift what you people are lifting

they're big fellas

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Yeah you have to check the box for subscribe and save and a separate box for the coupon. I didn't see it at first either.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

could be, but i once made the same mistake IRL and got outed as a n00b .. hoping to spare others my eternal shame

ill take my shame. had the numbers written at home but was posting between sets :eng99:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
15 pounds away from reppin 225 bench with two months and three weeks to go :getin:

also 27 pounds away from reppin 225 on the scale

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Today is the first day I get to go to the gym because I had the sniffles the past few days (never tested positive for covid but who knows maybe it was covid) but I'm feeling fine this morning and I feel like my rear end has gotten less tremendous from not doing deadlifts for a week, which is unacceptable

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Just kidding I'm going to go do a bunch of isolation hypertrophy poo poo :twisted:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

For year 2 I'm going for something different at start; I experimented a bit with weekly strength aims for the bench press and I feel that I managed to hit a nice way of doing things: pick a couple of major exercises, modest increases of weight, alternate to a volume increase goal if too hard. There are plans, of course, but it was nice to find my own groove of progression, so to speak

It's funny that it took me this long to sort out a better methodology for myself in, like, a know-how sense. I started lifting like a decade ago then cycled in and out a few times but this is the time that I have been the most consistent, while also taking it easier than before. This last month was absolute chaos and I didn't go to the gym, having turned my foot a bit early december. Alright, bodyweight stuff at home and there's dumbbells too.

At least for me, figuring out the workout that you can do instead of the one you think you should has been a massive win. Plan "getting a reasonably good bench press number" might happen in 2023 this way lmao

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

As someone whos been reduced to using machines to work out my legs.ever gym needs more leg extension machines.

Every

One

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

there is a guy at my gym who puts every single plate at the gym on the leg press machine, and then barely does a leg press

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

AnimeIsTrash posted:

there is a guy at my gym who puts every single plate at the gym on the leg press machine, and then barely does a leg press

your gym doesn't have enough plates

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

your gym doesn't have enough plates

you don't know his orm

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I only do stuff like that to impress all the babes at the gym &_&

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

you don't know his orm

From watching WSM on ESPN in the 90s I know that you can just leg press several local children instead

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

From watching WSM on ESPN in the 90s I know that you can just leg press several local children instead

shoulda done this instead of the paint cans in Unbreakable

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

dead gay comedy forums posted:

figuring out the workout that you can do instead of the one you think you should has been a massive win

extremely important and underrated life skill

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'll trade you this guy for two guys posting PRs to TikTok

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005
my gym has 6 phone tripods always available to anyone. half of the members have instagrams. but to be a little fair several of our members compete internationally and their coaches live in other countries, and I like being able to record sets to check my form or bar speed

there's general etiquette anyway not to walk in front of anyone's direct line of sight during a top set, so people are pretty good about being aware of walking in front of a camera or w/e

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I used to go to armor gym in Knoxville and that gym was a goddamn fashion show and legit power lifting gym. Like I saw unofficial records in whatever federation getting set there all the time. But there were also a lot of SERIOUS fitness models and influencers or whatever.

Anyway the staff were expected to help film any set that needed filming.

Sounds lovely but most of the staff were 20-22 year old males so you can imagine no one minded filming the instagram fitness model with 1.2 mil followers doing hip thrusts or whatever.

Thats a gym worth dropping in to if youre driving through Tennessee or whatever. Just amazing.

FizFashizzle has issued a correction as of 13:25 on Jan 6, 2023

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

they should build Faraday cages around gyms

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

webcams for christ posted:

my gym has 6 phone tripods always available to anyone. half of the members have instagrams. but to be a little fair several of our members compete internationally and their coaches live in other countries, and I like being able to record sets to check my form or bar speed

there's general etiquette anyway not to walk in front of anyone's direct line of sight during a top set, so people are pretty good about being aware of walking in front of a camera or w/e

I never cared when people would walk in front of my camera when I record myself, it's a shared space and being weird about it just shows that you are the odd one out.
However, I always found it very amusing when they would notice it halfway through walking in front of it and then either do the hurried walking/skipping thing or go arm swinging tumbling backwards.
Luckily, that's not an issue anymore since I'm in a private gym with only a few members that know each other well.

my bony fealty posted:

they should build Faraday cages around gyms
Just have it 2 floors underground, like mine. Juuuust got enough mobile connection to read my program on google sheets.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

I used to go to armor gym in Knoxville and that gym was a goddamn fashion show and legit power lifting gym. Like I saw unofficial records in whatever federation getting set there all the time. But there were also a lot of SERIOUS fitness models and influencers or whatever.

whenever I'm staying in NYC for a week or more I train at Mt Vernon Barbell and it kind of reminds me of this. the staff would laugh at you if you asked them to help film. almost every time I've been there, someone has been training with a full loving film crew, like boom mic, fill lights, etc.

their insta is extremely representative of what it's actually like

the biggest downside is that a lot of NYPD pigs train there and last summer I overheard 2 cops from different precincts doing a dick measuring contest about their department's use of force stats. loving surreal

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 14:07 on Jan 6, 2023

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
so long as you strip the bar and clean your weights up after you're done, idgaf what you do in the gym

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I don't take videos when working out. The only thing worth doing is recording sets and posting.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
charged my spirit bomb tonight and hit 225x5 without rupturing my poo poo!

and then almost flipped the bar reracking the weights one side at a time

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

charged my spirit bomb tonight and hit 225x5 without rupturing my poo poo!

and then almost flipped the bar reracking the weights one side at a time

Congrats! Ive also always wondered exactly how much weight needs to be on the bar for it to flip off a rack. Im usually pretty careful but Im pretty sure Ive had 2 plates on one side without issue. I suppose it depends on how thick the plates are and how far the rack supports are apart.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

TheSlutPit posted:

Congrats! Ive also always wondered exactly how much weight needs to be on the bar for it to flip off a rack. Im usually pretty careful but Im pretty sure Ive had 2 plates on one side without issue. I suppose it depends on how thick the plates are and how far the rack supports are apart.

I've flipped a bar one time in my life, like 15 years ago.

to this day I still alternate sides for every plate no matter the weight.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

webcams for christ posted:

whenever I'm staying in NYC for a week or more I train at Mt Vernon Barbell and it kind of reminds me of this. the staff would laugh at you if you asked them to help film. almost every time I've been there, someone has been training with a full loving film crew, like boom mic, fill lights, etc.

their insta is extremely representative of what it's actually like

the biggest downside is that a lot of NYPD pigs train there and last summer I overheard 2 cops from different precincts doing a dick measuring contest about their department's use of force stats. loving surreal

the hairlight on the deadlifting platform is incredible

i could never deal with this

FizFashizzle posted:

to this day I still alternate sides for every plate no matter the weight.
:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the cascade of poo poo getting knocked over that came after bar flipping was comical

imagine this scene but a separate free weight room at a 24 gym in midtown Atlanta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOZZeuGaQro&t=53s