Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I'm on week three of exercising with only those comically large rubber bands and a 2 foot piece of iron pipe to help with squats and presses. Also a few 2-4 mile runs per week.

I seriously can't get over how good those bands are at putting stress on your muscles. We'll see how I progress but I don't see the need to have a gym membership every again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i dont get why its better than just putting more weight on the bar :confused:

variable resistance, plus it's cheap af. I started doing some lifts with bar + band this week (bench and squat) but I'm not sure I even need it. Doubling up the two largest bands gives me hundreds and hundreds of pounds of resistance on deadlift and I don't have to worry about my back at the beginning of the lift. It's so much easier to reach muscle exhaustion. We'll see what results I get but so far I'm plenty sore without feeling any sharp pains in my joints

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
also

https://youtu.be/3AwbSQeUX0s

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
basically, yeah. The amazing thing for me is in the past 21 days, I've "lifted" hard and to exhaustion for 18 of them. Absolutely no joint pain. I couldn't do my 5x5 routine for more than 3 days per week as my knees and shoulders were killing me.

I do a PPL, 5 exercises per day.

three sets

10 @ heavy resistance, nice and slow
20 @ lower resistance but fast
last set is the heavy band again, slow and to failure

exercises are ones from James grange's youtube or for compound lifts just a 2 foot pipe with bands through the carabiners. I haven't felt this good with a program in a loooooong time

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

sounds pretty fun tbh. any good for rowing? perhaps on a skateboard?

also, do they wear out? if they wear out, can they fail catastrophically under load?

e: i just learned that chains are used in the same way, to increase the resistance progressively as the links are lifted up off the ground one at a time. :coal:

I'm assuming they fail eventually, but they're thick af and they'll show cracking or inability to stretch way before the snap catastrophically

I got these but they're all the same

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07K1823XB?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

I’ll buy big boy rubber bands for 40 dollars, feels like these were insanely expensive not even 5 years ago. maybe it’s trump time dilation

so i ran into my neighbor on a walk a few months ago, hadn't seen him in 6 months. Dude got absolutely shredded using the X3 bar (https://www.jaquishbiomedical.com/x3-bar/), which is when I got interested in the bands. But that product is insanely expensive and the owner is an insane chud piece of poo poo so I put together this from home depot based on something I saw on reddit. 30 bucks of pipe and fittings from home depot

been getting really good workouts in, almost every day with no joint pain. Double up the purple and orange band for deadlifts and holy poo poo it's hard

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
yeah it takes some getting used to. I've been trying to hit failure on all my final sets for each workout and I don't have to worry about that fear of dropping the bar on my chest. I've noticed the soreness is different too, more dull is probably the best way to describe it

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Capntastic posted:

I skimmed their ad copy; how is this supposed to work so well?

it's fitness ad copy lol.

I posted a video above from James Grage who goes over the benefits of bands. I think people have luck with them because you can go to exhaustion, which is what really triggers hypertrophy

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

also I built a pylo box using some plywood I had lying around. Quarantine has been great for my fitness not gonna lie

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
are leftists allowed to lift for asthetic reasons or are we only allowed to do deadlifts (carrying crates of supplies) and shoulder presses (throwing molotovs)

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

dex_sda posted:

I don't think you're supposed to throw molotovs directly up my guy

i didnt want to look up what exercise you use to increase throwing distance

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
as a true leftist i shall train only curls so i can more efficiently punch myself in the face

back on topic, running too much was hurting my shins and my squats started to suffer, so i got a jumprope. I think I like it to get the ole ticker pumping

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

cool dance moves posted:

Make sure you pick a grassy spot for jumping rope, itll absorb the impact better than concrete or w/e. Your shins will thank you.

i got some of those foam tiles for my garage, but yeah i figured that out after day 1

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

gonna combine the two hidden techniques in this thread and do tempo negative resistance band routines until i ascend

i had enormous chunky calves before lockdown, gotta get them back. my quads are still huge at least and my butt has never been hencher

you're in luck because negative reps on bands are brutal

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I've been trying to budget putting together a home gym and obviously the prices on weights are outrageous right now so I'm incredibly interested in this resistance band stuff, but am totally new to it. Do you know of any resources for moving from free weights to bands in terms of how to eg. compose routines or dial in form? If it's just "look up routines and watch youtube vids" that's cool too.

Also your DIY band pipe -- are the ends reducer -> nipple fitting -> end cap and the carabiner goes over the nipple fitting?

yeah that's the setup 1" -> 1/2" -> nipple -> cap

The clips I have on there now work ok, the inside diameter of the small loop was a bit small so I had to grind it down. I'll post a pic of the platform I built, but essentially I use the platform for DL, Squat, OHP bent over rows. I also attach the straps to a bar on the wall or pullup bar as needed. I adjust the tension by doubling the bands over, stacking them or just wrapping them around the clip a few extra times

Regarding routine, I'm still figuring it out. I watched a lot of Grage videos but also looked at the x3 routine he suggests. Right now I'm doing a 6x/week workout PPL

all workouts are more or less this:

10 reps at high resistance
15 reps fast 3/4 range at slightly lower resistance
Last set slow and back on higher resistance and until failure. The x3 dude recommends partial reps after you hit failure, and I've reaaaaly liked this. Once this is at 20+ reps go up a band or tighten the one you have a little bit

Push:

OHP
Standing chest Press with bar
One arm presses with just band
Tricep pushdowns with strap around pullup bar
Chest pressdown (same as the standing cable pressdown, using bar)
Dips without bands (if i'm feeling it)

Pull:

Bent over row (see the x3 routine) - I really like this one, been able to get so much more progress than I ever did with the weighted version
Lat pulldown (or pullup) with bar and band wrapped around pullup bar
Standing curls with bar
standing row using just bands
fly (see Grage's variation on it)
shrugs (only every other time, but that's just preference)

Heavy Leg (and back) day

(only 2 sets, 10 and to failure on the heaviest band you can do)
Deadlift
Front squat
Barbell calf raises (this one is amazing with bands)
Bridges (band is double looped under feet and around the waist) - 2 sets of 20 on this one, second set hold your last rep in the up position as long as you can

Push day (same as before)

Pull day (same as before)

Light Leg and Pylo Day - Lighter bands

Overhead squats (grage video)
Split squats with just band
Deadlifts (lighter weight)

Followed by a 15 minute pylo routine

I'm no expert but it's working really well so far, great burn and great pump and my joints are doing fine

budget:

$40 bands
$40 bar and clips
$10 platform
$50 pullup bar made with iron pipe
$60 foam tiles
$40 pylo box (good for dips too)
$15 jump rope/gloves (YOU NEED GLOVES)/Deadlift straps

$250 or so all in?

Still want to add battle ropes and maybe a punching bag

oxsnard has issued a correction as of 18:04 on Sep 30, 2020

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

fuckin sick, thank you!
Just ordered bands, gloves, and a door anchor. I'll hit up the hardware store later this week to get supplies for the bar (I'd like to build a plyo box too but that'll involve cleaning out the garage first)

can't wait to get started, I'll post a trip report when I do :toot:

ya, lemme know what you figure out as you experiment too

here's the platform, used scrap 3/4" plywood and some miscellaneous wood i had lying around and 3/4" one foot pipes. I snapped a band on week 1 trying to wrap it around wood (those corners will put too much pressure on the band). Drilled 11/16th holes in small pieces of plywood, hand "screwed" the 3/4 inch bar into the holes and then attached them to the platform base with wood glue and wood screws. Screwed the platform top on, I think it's about 2.5 feet wide. The platform is just wide enough for my shoulder length lifts. Notice that the bars are distanced from the platform so the bands don't touch wood. Then I loosely ziptied some nylon scrap around the bars, so the sleeve rotates with the band and puts even less stress on the bands. This gives uniformity since the metal sometimes pinches the band (creating resistance) and sometimes the band slides along the metal

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
3 sets, I spend 30 minutes or so lifting per day

-to failure

again, I'm not a strength coach or anything. Was a competitive swimmer in HS. Club water polo in college

hit 2x bw deadlift a few years ago, but I'm tall and upper body strength gains have always been hard. This routine feels really good and I honestly am not sure I'll ever do the weight room again

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
yeah lmao, I made a bunch of extra stuff for myself, you can get 2 reasonably thick bands on Amazon for 20 bucks. Add a pair of gloves and you can do a shitload of exercises. It's cheap as hell

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I got a running analysis done a few years ago, was totally worth it. I bought the shoes they recommended for $120, but have bought similar replacements online for much less since.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

can you reveal their insights? i haven't had this done, and it doesn't seem like its in the cards for a while. i've only read posts about it.

i think i'm supposed to land on the front of my foot and use my calves to store energy and bounce around, and take lots of quick small steps vs huge long strides? something like that..

yeah its a super slo mo video where they look at the timing and angle of your heel strike. Most running shoes caused my toes to point outwards too much. I get wider shoes with a lower inner arch and a slightly raised heel, they'll show you before and after videos. Feels kind of like pseudoscience until you get the right shoes and take a run

part of it isn't even the landing, but the takeoff (?) where your foot pushes off the ground at a funny angle and you have to compensate with how you land your other foot

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

We've bands

I have to clean up the bar and find my grip tape, but it works perfectly well

I did oxnard's pull day, but I subbed rows for flys

overall, I liked it a lot. It is very weird though, coming from only ever really using free weights and a few accessory machines. The increased resistance at the top of the lift is a funny feeling, and the lighter takeoff makes it a lot easier to work until exhaustion. Speaking of, I only really felt like I did any real "work" on the exhaustion set. But on the other hand, I also feel like I'm basically starting back from zero in terms of form, so I'll keep watching vids and dialing things in and readdress how I feel about that after a few weeks.
I really do like the speed of the routine, though. I was able to knock everything out (including double checking form and loving around with strap setup) in under and hour, which left plenty of time for jogging and stretching.

I've got the stuff for a platform as well as (I think) a flat bench if I can get my wife to help me figure out how to make a cushioned pad that I can attach to a 2x12. I might be able to get started on those this weekend if I can take care of enough housework to free up a little free time.

hell yeah. Lemme know if the soreness feels different in a few days, that's what took the longest to get used to. I kept thinking it wasn't working as well, especially a few hours after lifting, because there was little to no spot pain. But after I got reps/resistance dialed in, I started waking up with that dull soreness all over and realized it was def working

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
also, for sure make yourself a platform, if you wanna squat or deadlift heavy bands, it'll roll your ankles bad

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
yeah, so the worst joints you'll see are on powerlifters and endurance athletes. Super high volume is bad but so is overloading resistance. Lower reps with moderate resistance is a smart move. poo poo, buy a 5 dollar backpack at goodwill and fill it full of rocks

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
if I'm awkward and 6'5" but wanted to learn to fight better, what would be a good option?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I did pylo yesterday, and I'm supposed to lift today but I can barely walk. Will probably just play ck3

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

I woke up famished and wracked with DOMS so bad form aside the bands are having the desired effect

hell yeah. I feel like the soreness is more evenly distributed with bands, does it feel different to you?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
love to hear it. I was blown away when I started it about 7 weeks ago. I'm down about 10 lbs, have def put on muscle. I'm going to my friend's later this week to see how much my traditional lifts have improved

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
btw, I'm drafting a part I want built in CAD right now. Basically, just some clips good for bands you can screw right onto a pipe. China will make that poo poo so cheap

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

Hello, just found this thread and read the past few pages.

If I want to order some resistance bands what should I look for?

get the fat latex bands. They're all the same so get the cheapest ones who have a replacement guarantee and lots of reviews on amazon. Get some poo poo to tie them off to (overhead, waist height). If you want to do "heavy" lifts like squats deadlifts and calf raises, you need to use a platform. You can build a bar or just get a piece of schedule 40 pipe (iron or pvc)

also get gloves. James Grage is a good resource for no bar exercises.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
also, having snapped bands a few times

- try not to pinch them or let them get scratched
- i was really scared that the band snapping could cause injury but the way they give out has alleviated that fear

knowing you're not going to get the same extreme stress on your body you will with big heavy weights, dont worrry about doing more reps instead. Much easier to go to failure without worrying about crushing your body. Take advantage of that

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

cool, i ordered the bands posted a couple posts ago and will read back more about the platform thing, i just skimmed your posts about it earlier because i wasn't sure how essential it was. this is the first time i'll be trying any sort of resistance band training and its been quite a while since ive done any real strength training

what kind of gloves would you recommend? weightlifting gloves?

I use 3 dollar workout gloves from Walmart. You just don't want the stretching band to be clenched against your skin

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
you can buy 80 pounds of concrete from home depot for 4 dollars and fill up pvc pipes and milk jugs. I'm doing that tomorrow with the jugs to add to my pylo routine and throw in some kettlebell accessory poo poo

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Demon_Corsair posted:

Dear resistance band people. Is this a joke?

I just tried a resistance band workout, and other then exercises where I'm reaching above my head I'm using the 1.75 band at pretty much as max resistance as I can.

And I'm in terrible shape. So if after my first workout I need a 2.5 inch band, that doesn't bode well for any longevity with them.

what bands are you using? This is not possible, like, at all unless you're using those super thin yoga elastic bands

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

turd in my singlet posted:

get some garden tool replacement handles and make a few of these of various sizes

https://www.indianclubs.com.au/gada-mace/home-made-clay-pot-gada-mace/

i used a rake handle for the 10lb mace i made and a post hole digger for the 20lb mace. i had to re-finish the post hole digger handle bc it seemed splintery but a small can of satin polyurethane finish was like $10 + a $.50 foam brush and some sandpaper i had lying around

exercising with them looks like this, it's an interesting mix of conditioning, coordination, shoulder mobility/endurance, grip endurance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woLJFXKOnx8&t=61s

note that you will hit yourself with them and drop them a few times when starting out lol, not really a big deal but start light and don't do them on the nice wood floor or too close to the tv or w/e

thanks, that looks awesome

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I squeezed out 5 reps of deadlifts using the purple, orange and red bands stacked and doubled over.

Fuckin brutal

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

prom candy posted:

if I'm getting the rogue bands which one(s) should I get? right now I'm goblet squatting 35lbs 4x10 easily, DB benching 30lbs 4x9, and still struggling on the last rep of DB OHP 20lbs 5x5.

how much are they? I'd just get a cheap set to start, you can play around with, stacking looping and tying them off and then decide if you wanna splurge on a better quality band

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

i think its more a case of theyr all the exact same band with a diff brand on them

apparently there are two types: layered and just a flat extrusion. The former are more expensive to make but might be slightly more durablr

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
i switched my sets around on my PPL routine. One set of either 15 (heavy compound lifts) or 25 (isolation lifts), nice and slow. 30-90 second break and then another set to failure.

The pump i'm getting is insane. My biceps feel like they're about to pop off the bone right now

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
dont take it easy. Run more, wuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
i had forgotten how much more sleep you need when ur getting jacked. Been sleeping 11-5 or so, catch up on emails, get the kids set up for Zoom call school and then I really feel like I need a nap. Before I started strength training, I had been fine on 5 hours