Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay but I'm quitting if I don't get Zero or Sigma.

Sting Chameleon is fine too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SolusLunes posted:

In the meantime, please join the game discord here: https://discord.gg/ChprgmP

If you have access to any out-of-thread communications, you'll be added to it there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj1m1yq4K74&t=115s

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Who's your favourite maverick?

Mine is Sting Chameleon.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

GenericGirlName posted:

I do not know any Mavericks. Zero is not a Maverick so I do not concern myself with them.

Is Zero a maverick? He's the source of the virus and he's a maverick when he first shows up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm Magus from Chrono Trigger.

My Scythe is extra badass.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

GenericGirlName posted:

How do I plug this into my iPhone ?

You stick your dick in it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Atomic Soda posted:

n20 not solved the game yet, v suspect imo

##vote vector_to

Unfortunately I can't break the game open just yet.

I think the vote on Sal isn't scum driven but probably scum supported somewhere because Sal sounding out stuff is consistent with his D1.

Specifically Sal eats D1 lunches a lot so he's now cautious of throwing things out straight away as a result.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
  1. 28766f69642a2930
  2. Anomalous Amalgam
  3. Atomic Soda
  4. b-minus1
  5. Brazen Apothecary
  6. GenericGirlName
  7. GulagDolls
  8. imgay
  9. jimmydalad
  10. Monathin
  11. Natural 20
  12. Revolver Anidav
  13. SalTheBard
  14. Toalpaz
  15. vector_to
  16. Xad

For my reference.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Anyway

Toalpaz posted:

What a stretch. Also put your money where your mouth is instead of feeling that vote out.

##vote Sal

Toalpaz posted:

:agreed:

##unvote
##vote brazen apothecary

Bad vote on Sal early in the day, followed by a pivot to BA with no real reasoning behind it. Reads similarly to their scum game which tends to be terse and kinda just flowing along.

Also I mean, super bad manners to kill the guy that's been away for ages early.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
##vote Toalpaz

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I don't really see what's so egregious about Xad's posting that warrants him being voted over Toal really. Like at least man's stuck to the Sal vote instead of immediately jumping ship when it looked like it wasn't going to sail.

I'm going to be heading to bed soon but I'm happy enough not to move my vote onto Xad and register that I think he's less likely to be scum than Toal.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

28766f69642a2930 posted:

push seems scummy ##vote no lynch

So this is birbs last thing before death.

In this order he states :

He'd vig bminus

Votes Xad

Switches to Toal and then switches off Toal. (this is very abridged and I'm ignoring very early or joke votes)

So you probably look here for scum players.

My suspicion is that we were on the money with Toal and scum are trying to reverse psy us with this NK.

But I'd totally burn the lurker gun to flip minus based on this.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Toalpaz posted:

I don't think scum killed Birb because they were threatening in any way. I'm surprised you and Sal are trying to discern the motivation of the first NK.

There are three worlds. The first is that scum on the first night discuss a target and then choose to kill them upon discussion.
It is unclear to me why under this circumstance throwing out a double bluff to protect a scum member is outside of possibility and shouldn’t be considered.

The second world is that a scum player randomly suggested a target and the scum players agreed to it without much discussion.
In this world, whilst there is no discussion about the kill, there is still subconscious bias in the choice of the kill. Birb might have been initially suggested because the scum player “felt” he was good because they’d seem him mention them or his final play stuck in their mind.

It is unclear to me why under this circumstance that a scum player that was strongly beholden to him would not intuitively think of him as important.

The final world is that scum rolled a dice and killed someone at which point their kill is pure RNG. I’ve not seen a scum team do this ever so I’m willing to rule out pure RNG.

Given this, I am strongly unclear on why analysis of the first night kill is fruitless, or why someone wouldn’t be able to discern at least a little of what I’ve suggested.

##vote Toalpaz

I think this is sensible for the moment.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I feel like Nat20 has a weird tunnel on toalpaz that started with the Brazen Apothecary vote.

I think bold pharmacist is still a good vote.

I think 20 is being weird and sal looks bad hanging on with his conviction, repeatedly... That's kind of a sal thing, but I'm null with him because he is the same as town or scum I find.

Like how is this a weird tunnel. The NK explicitly related to someone who switched off Toal at the last minute, in what possible world do you not investigate that and other claims made subsequently?

Oh yes the world where we're bad at mafia.

##vote Sal

Sal > B.A.

I don't see the case on toal really.

And in the context of the prior sentence where you claim it's Sal's meta this is a bizarre vote.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Xad posted:

Yeah, you know, I don't have a great reason to not vote Sal again, especially given that case.

##vote Sal

also I like that Nat20 is trying to do NK analysis, but why would birb switching off of toalpaz at the last minute mean scum would choose to kill him, if that's what you seem to be implying? Birb saved Toalpaz from dying, I would think you'd want to keep someone like that alive if you were scum

More impotantly, birb switched off of Toal because the "push seemed scummy," and then birb died. If birb died because he was right about the push being scummy, then Nat20, you are looking at the wrong group of people. You should instead be looking at

Atomic Soda
Brazen Apothecary
jimmydalad
gulagdolls
monathin

Of these votes, Atomic Soda unvoted for a second to give toal time to claim, so that seems like the least scummy to me right now. It could be that scum thought they had the numbers to quickly push a mislynch on toal, but AS unvoted (then revoted) and birb ALSO unvoted. I really don't agree with Nat20's conclusion that since birb was killed, it should be me, binus, or toal. That doesn't really make any sense to me.

Natural 20 posted:

My suspicion is that we were on the money with Toal and scum are trying to reverse psy us with this NK.

How could Nat ever think such a thing! His logic is a mystery!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Auxiliary commentary and questioning without offering much in the way of your own conviction. The opinions you offer are unclear and you don't make cases. In this case, I just don't think you genuinely believe your "case" on Toal because "you" don't have one.

You call out toal from among the votes on you, make a small lumpen from d1 votes, have your conviction explained for you by nat20, engage in a non conversation with toal and then without much in the way of your own explanation or conviction you continue on the tunnel toal path.

I feel like you called it out, saw someone building a case for you and latched on.

But yes okay, this is decent content.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Xad posted:

Yeah and I disagree with that read of things, it doesn't make sense to me

Okay you're saying two different things.

If you disagree that's fine. If you think it doesn't make sense then you have issues because "Scum would kill a target in such a way as to mislead town" is a fairly obvious mafia thing. I'm specifically favouring the more complex play because of the way Birb interacted early in the thread.

SalTheBard posted:

I thought Toal was scum on D1, I still think Toal is scum on D2. Nat20 put into words how I was feeling in a way that I couldn't.

So Sal says that I put what he believed into clearer terms.

I say this in favour of a Toal lunch.

Natural 20 posted:

Bad vote on Sal early in the day, followed by a pivot to BA with no real reasoning behind it. Reads similarly to their scum game which tends to be terse and kinda just flowing along.

Also I mean, super bad manners to kill the guy that's been away for ages early.

Sal then goes on to elaborate on his case:

SalTheBard posted:

He seemed scummy on D1. I know that some have said the fact he didn't know the Town Alignment name isn't a big deal, but I think it is. The town alignment is a very unique name and there is no reason for him not to have known it when it was posted. That is pretty damming to me. The fact that we had Toal lined up dead to rights, but only failed because people didn't move their votes seems to me to be scumbros protecting their scumbro. So therefore I will vote Toalpaz.

Interesting, the case Sal makes subsequently has absolutely nothing to do with my reasoning about Toal at all.

How did I clarify his mind when he didn't ostensibly want to lunch Toal for the same reasons as me based on his own words?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Toalpaz posted:

I know what town alignment is...

And scum do too probably.

I'm scum because I didn't immediately answer imgays question? Seems bad Imo but the best defence is casing other people so I will (in a bit phone posting).

Sal, scum also look for easy lunch, and if you give em an excuse like last night there's a chance they all jumped on hoping to make that lunch happen. It really did come out of no where.

You are focusing on me cause I put your name on a silly list for fun under the scum heading, and also because I didn't answer what could be considered a joke post. I think you're over reacting or digging in your heels either because you're self conscious scum and think this is do or die time or just really confused town. I don't see how you can be so sure about me given your evidence.

Later on a poster answered the question right? I can't find their name on my phone but are they confirmed town to you, because they knew town alignment?

Okay so this is also interesting.

Toal notes now that scum would likely have fakeclaims and know what the town alignment is.

But why not note that earlier on D1 when Sal was pressuring him about it?

Toalpaz posted:

What a stretch. Also put your money where your mouth is instead of feeling that vote out.

##vote Sal

There's no actual response or confirmation around what the town alignment is from Toal, which would put Sal's case to bed immediately and by Toal's own reasoning isn't a disadvantage to town at all?

He only grows confident about the town alignment to "know" what it is subsequent to the flip that confirmed town alignment.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Imo this is a bad look on both players for arguing tangentially to the actual case involved. I doubt strongly double scum, but I think there's scum in one of those two picks. I'm happy to stay on Toal for now, but can be persuaded elsewhere.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Toalpaz posted:

Nice chain lunch you're setting up.

I didn't answer Sal because I knew it wouldn't put that case to rest, instead you'd be accusing me of being too eager to please. I wasn't around to full claim because I was in a car on my phone out of town.

This is such a bad case.

At this point I'm pretty sure that scum are okay riding this town apathy to my lunch but I'll be reading and posting later. I encourage more people to read thread and participate so that there's more content tomorrow.

Firstly, why is setting up suspicion clearly bad? Beyond claiming that I'm setting up a chain lunch, where I'm also unclear on it being bad.

Secondly, why is the case bad?

Remember I'm not on you over the reploid thing, I'm on you over the no content votes from yesterday as well as a perception of a scum plan today based on the birb kill. I pointed out an inconsistency in a case I thought was tangential yet you've come down super defensively on that and not on the main body of what I care about.

This screams deflecting scum in my mind.

Anyway the most effective defense of the actual case comes from Xad.

Xad posted:

I disagree with it BECAUSE it doesn't make sense. Why go for a needlessly complicated play? Especially for the FIRST kill. I don't see scum thinking "hey birb caused a nolynch, let's kill him so the thread will think everyone rushing to vote for toal was scum!"

you could just leave birb alive, kill someone unrelated and he'd likely make the argument himself

We have a point of disagreement in that I just don't think it's that complicated a play. I also think that Birb is a relatively high volume and content player so killing him early is also relatively advantageous.

But mostly I don't think it's implausible for a scum conversation to run like.

"Who should we kill?"

"Birb?"

"Yeah that'll really throw everyone."

I think you're ascribing a much more complex thought process to what I'm suggesting than I actually imagine.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

I've never seen reviver let you revive a confirmed town.

That would be broken. I dont believe you sal.

Why would it be broken?

Role madness means you can have stupidly powerful roles meaningfully offset by scum power.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

I will admit, I hadn't thought of that.

This is only a 16 player game. It definitely would shift perspective and vote swing.... I'm doing things but I had an oh poo poo moment. There's a good chance sal is 3p.

He claimed to be like Dr. Light who we know was self-aligned. Just a theory working off of yours, but w.e. I'll be around

The father of Reploids will probably, probably be reploid aligned.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
But also:

6. Flavor is flavor, you're welcome to pursue arguments on it if you want. However, scum were randomly selected from all possible flavor, so Bad Guys may not be scum, and Good Guys may be scum. Additionally while I try to retain flavor justification for many abilities, they will not always match expectations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Revolver Anidav posted:

Let me expand on that.

If you are a good town PR and you are on the road to be lynched, claiming is a good idea. It is of more utility to town to try save you. If you are close to being lynched, flipped and lost to town, the risk is non-existent and the benefit to scum is nil. The longer you draw this out or continue to be stubborn is of negative utility to town. It would also leave us with no other lynch target. As time runs down we would most probably lose you anyway.

Reasons for not claiming when about to be lynched? You're Scum, you do not have a safe claim and are hoping the threat of losing a good town PR (in a Role Madness game) is enough to stop a lynch.

Therefore you equivocating about this is suspect. More suspect than trying to pretend not claiming and being lynched is in towns benefit.

I agree with this. If you're town and about to get dunked there's no loss in claiming, at the very least it means scum have to deal with targetting you the next night which aids other night actions.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Brazen Apothecary posted:

I'm sorry but this is all the most :jerkbag: fake "let's make claims on each other and then challenge each other and fake bs our way out of it" bs happening rn. Granted you're getting away with it bc so many of the rest of the group are silent af. even for only day 2, but point still stands.

I'm not gonna claim bc I'm not dumb and it's loving early in the game and I have a role and I don't want to get killed. just like all the rest of you nerds that aren't claiming.

if you vote me out you're making a mistake. That's all I have to say. I'll vote someone later today that isn't Toal (probably Revolver again, still a good vote) but i'mma think on it a little more.

Going into more detail. The suspicion around Sal/Toal hasn't gone, but it's mitigated by Sal's claim and Toal's fairly reasonable responses to the questions that have come out:

Toalpaz posted:

My answer to you is that if you think my votes were no content (One vote on Sal for being sure about me being scum over a joke post I made about them and a second vote on Brazen for being self-conscious and unvoting-revoting several times d1), why aren't you concerned about the votes on my end of day being low content votes. I've given fair reasons for all my votes, and I'm not sure why you think that they're low content compared to every single other player's vote day 1.

This isn't bulletproof, there are obvious flaws in it, notably ignoring that I was concerned about the rapid switch and quoted the obviously low content votes themselves. Additionally there's deflection later where people switched their votes late in the day, with little content, ignoring that timing of votes means that end of day votes tend to get less justification in favour of going for a lunch.

However, what does to is attempt to engage which is helpful and allays my fears a little. If I view it charitably then in my opinion it's a reasonable response.

The reason the vote has moved to you is that you're not meaningfully responding to the idea that you're low content voting and right now you're hiding behind "I don't want to claim" as your reason for not engaging, which isn't helpful to town at all.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Also lol that we haven't flipped vector yet.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
##vote Brazen Apothecary

That sets -2 but i'm confident in no scum rush this early in the game and I want my vote here because of aforementioned reasons around evasiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

:thejoke:

• Locked thread