Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
are you addicted to WEED?!?
no
hahahaha what
gently caress outta here
Most certainly not! I'm insulted by the very inquiry!
i get higher than goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
nerable segment: white gen xers

(C & p from wall street journal so you don't have to go totheir lovely rear end stite)

AUSTIN, Tex. � My name is Neal, and I�m a marijuana addict.

A year ago I wouldn�t have said that, because it would have meant giving up marijuana. I would rather have given up breathing.

When I had my first cup of coffee in the morning, I pressed the little button on my vape pen, waited for the blue glow, took a huge inhale and then blew it into the mug so that I could suck in the THC and caffeine at the same time. Then I took another hit, and another. In the afternoons, I�d smoke a bowl, or pop a gummy bear, or both. At night, I got high before eating dinner or watching the ballgame. Maybe I�d stop getting stoned a little bit before bed, but what was the point? If I went to bed high, I could wake up high, too.

What a time for people to get stoned! Marijuana has left the counterculture, exploded into the mainstream and transformed into a multibillion-dollar industry. Cannabis is now an essential part of any hip wellness and beauty regimen. Netflix offers a marijuana-themed cooking show.

Cannabis should be legal. It has medical uses. Millions of people, most of them black and Latino men, have unjustly gone to jail for selling what should have been easily available in stores. States with the political courage to legalize it have seen their tax rolls bloom and have created thousands of jobs. Also, it�s delicious.

But I�m not a child with intractable epilepsy, or a veteran with PTSD, or a person who just wants to chill a little, or Willie Nelson. Unless you count writing articles about marijuana, I�m not profiting from the industry. I�m just a middle-aged house dad with a substance-abuse problem.

Like most pot addicts in denial, I spent years telling myself that marijuana isn�t addictive, and so I didn�t have a problem. But clearly I did. And I�m not the only one who suffers this way.

Though marijuana addiction isn�t deadly like opioid addiction or toxic like meth addiction, it still wastes millions of lives. Around 9 percent of users become addicted, and about 17 percent of those who start as teenagers. That�s less than the rate for alcoholism but still significant.

I started smoking regularly in the �90s, when I was in my mid-20s. Pot made everything better � food, music, sex, cleaning � and it made nothing worse. I got depressed less often. I laughed all the time.

But I also lost my temper for no reason. Did I yell at strangers in public? Probably. I barely remember, because I was stoned. But I do remember that once, high as a promotional blimp, I got into a bar fight with a former friend and broke his tooth with a beer bottle.

Back when my writing career was booming, I got invited a couple of times to do readings in Amsterdam, a bad gig for a pot addict. Once, after ingesting a couple of THC pills, I dumped a pitcher of water over my head and insulted the Iraqi representative to National Poetry Day Amsterdam. Another time, I pulled down my pants and flashed a crowd of several hundred. If I had any boundaries, weed erased them thoroughly. The boom ended fast.

My son was born in 2002. I didn�t have an office job, so I was around a lot to get high and enjoy the cartoons. I opened a packet of Reefer�s peanut butter cups at his preschool fund-raiser and stunk up the place. But pot wasn�t just an occasional funny thing for me to do on weekends. I got stoned the day my son came home from the hospital and stayed that way, with few breaks, for a decade and a half. Of course I put him in danger because I couldn�t stop getting high. I was a drug addict.

In 2016, I became the Texas correspondent for a national marijuana newspaper, which gave me lots of excuses to get up to Colorado, America�s new weed utopia. With legalization upon us, I started saying things like: �Imagine if you loved coffee but it had been illegal your entire life. That�s what I feel like!� I began to refer to Colorado as �Free America.�

In March of 2017, my mother died. The hour before she passed, I was outside the hospital, getting a shipment of medical gummies from a friend. I was high when I watched her die, I was high at her funeral, and I was high every day for the next eight months. To say I was �self-medicating� to deal with grief would be too kind. My addicted self took grief as a no-limits license to get stoned.

In early November, I had the chance to fulfill my lifelong dream of attending a Dodgers World Series game. I spent way too much money on a ticket that turned out to be fake. So high that I couldn�t remember where I�d parked, I started screaming outside the stadium. If I�d been sober, I would have just called the vendor and gotten a refund. That�s what I ended up doing, eventually. But not before security guards surrounded me.

I looked into a car mirror and saw an old man, sobbing over a baseball game. That was the moment I accepted that I had a problem. Three weeks later, I quit.

I�ve been sober for 11 months. I do the same things with my time that I did before, except that 75 percent of my life doesn�t revolve around obtaining or consuming weed. It�s incredible what you can accomplish when you�re not high.

In many ways, I�m lucky my addiction didn�t have more consequences. I never got arrested. My family stayed together, somehow. But I have lost a ton of dignity and integrity, intangibles that I may never reclaim.

It wasn�t so hard to go cold turkey. I had a couple of twitchy nights, and that was it. But it�s easier to stay off the stuff because I don�t live in a state where it�s legal. I can get weed, but it requires a few steps. Addicts in legal states aren�t so fortunate.

A few weeks after I sobered up, I took a business trip to California. My hotel room was less than a mile away from three recreational weed dispensaries. I paced around and got into the tub with some 12-step literature. Finally, I went to a Marijuana Anonymous meeting in West Hollywood. It was Friday night, and the room was packed with addicts, some my age, but most younger, struggling to recover a life lost to weed.

There�s a reason that Alcoholics Anonymous started in 1935, two years after the end of Prohibition. Alcohol abuse became rampant, and the country almost drank itself off the rails. Will the same thing happen with marijuana?

Marijuana isn�t alcohol or an opioid. You can�t die from an overdose. It doesn�t really evince physical cravings. So is it better to call my problem marijuana �dependence�? Does it matter?

Cannabis should be legal, just as alcohol should be legal. But marijuana addiction exists, and it almost wrecked my life. If you have a problem, you are not alone.

Neal Pollack is the editor in chief of Book and Film Globe and the author, most recently, of �Not Coming Soon to a Theater Near You.�

Look at this loving dick hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is anyone else getting weird characters especially where there should be apostrophes

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
boo this man

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is anyone else getting weird characters especially where there should be apostraphes

Yeah, I was about to ask this. Must be all these weed I'm smokin' IRL

jk, i dont smoko

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is anyone else getting weird characters especially where there should be apostrophes

probably impostrophes in the database or bad page encoding

but yes I see em too

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Weed Addiction Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Stop Smoking Like Nigga Close Your Mouth Haha

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

dont trust the guy who wrote that article he's a narc

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

"like most pot addicts..."

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hell Yeah posted:

"like most pot addicts..."

lmaio

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like a guy who seriously needs to get a job.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

a bone to pick posted:

Sounds like a guy who seriously needs to get a job.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I’ve never gotten violently angry while stoned. This dude has got some loving issues

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i mean weed is ridiculously strong now and if you took the weed away from the daily smoker they are gonna get pissy

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, yes, I am addicted. It negatively impacts my life. But if you're getting angry when you smoke weed you have some major issues already.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
My name is Neil, and I am a loving retard who wrote this article for money like a true retardation addict.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Imagine being so bitchmade that you get addicted to pot of all things.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

i mean weed is ridiculously strong now

yeah it was more ok when old guys smoked weed back in the day but now it's totally different and old people definitely aren't hypocrites in fact they're victims like the concerned citizen in the op

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

REEFER ADDICT posted:

It wasn't so hard to go cold turkey. I had a couple of twitchy nights, and that was it.

Oh my god, what a nightmare.

Please, spare some more words about the horrors of detoxing from weed.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I stopped smoking weed for a week and had withdrawal symptoms such as 'too much food in the house' and 'sleeping at reasonable hours'

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i was high when my mom died and i didnt get to go to a baseball game MARIJUANA IS RUINING MY LIIIIIIIIIIIIFEEEEEE lol

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
someone should give that dude a motherfreakin' super swirlie!!!!

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Yeah like worst you get is some mental fog and it's harder to sleep for a few nights.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

buy TSX:ACB before it gets listed on the NYSE and make some ez $$$

:2bong:

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
who gets violent on weed? seriously this dude was doing something wrong

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Away all Goats posted:

I stopped smoking weed for a week and had withdrawal symptoms such as 'too much food in the house' and 'sleeping at reasonable hours'

the horror :gonk:

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
you try having your vocabulary reduced for 3.5 years

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Replace marijuana with dicks and article still makes sense.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Cancer posted:

Replace marijuana with dicks and article still makes sense.

"When I had my first cup of coffee in the morning, I pressed the little button on my dick, waited for the blue glow, took a huge inhale and then blew it into the mug so that I could suck in the cum and caffeine at the same time"

now the article is way more interesting

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

WampaLord posted:

Oh my god, what a nightmare.

Please, spare some more words about the horrors of detoxing from weed.

I smoke almost every night and got some really butt kicking peanut butter cups a few weeks ago.

Then I had to stop because I couldn't breathe and felt like poo poo.

Once I recovered from my cold I started again.

Then I went to visit my mom and quit cold turkey for 2 days.

She offered me some of hers, but I was on vacation and chose to get drunk off her wine collection instead.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Im on weed for medical reasons and honestly? Both Spice and booze were way more fun (quit both years ago, did Spice when it was brand new and no one knew how dangerous it was). I have to take a LOT of weed to get truly high but it muddles my brain and shuts down its creative center. No matter the strain or method, it�s just kind of boring.

Fake edit: I�m getting those weird punctuation issues too, wtf?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

numberoneposter posted:

buy TSX:ACB before it gets listed on the NYSE and make some ez $$$

:2bong:

my wife bought like 5 shares of some w33d company for like $.50 each just on a lark and now they are worth like $16 cause they annoucned they were gonna make w33d soda or something and really wishing we just like bought a whole paychecks worth of them instead ):

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

a bone to pick posted:

"When I had my first cup of coffee in the morning, I pressed the little button on my dick, waited for the blue glow, took a huge inhale and then blew it into the mug so that I could suck in the cum and caffeine at the same time"

now the article is way more interesting
I started sucking regularly in the 90s, when I was in my mid-20s. Cock made everything better food, music, sex, cleaning and it made nothing worse. I got depressed less often. I laughed all the time.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
I'm the bad man with cottonmouth and glass eyes, yea I'm that high. :420:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

one time i ate so much weed chocolate i had to lie down and go to bed. deadly poo poo.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I have never met a man who got angry while high. I think this dude is full of poo poo.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I'm a federal employee so...

...no

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Hope the clouds of smoke from Canada don't bother you next week OP

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast

numberoneposter posted:

one time i ate so much weed chocolate i had to lie down and go to bed. deadly poo poo.

You monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whores will say anything for money op hope you realize this.

• Locked thread