Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

going to the racetrack and absolutely baffled to discover that even in a 20-horse race there is still a favorite to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

lecturing to the bookie: actually, thinking in probability terms 1)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

wot in the hell happened

The thread's Gellar field failed

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Calibanibal posted:

going to the racetrack and absolutely baffled to discover that even in a 20-horse race there is still a favorite to win

still got it

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Calibanibal posted:

Calibanibal posted:

lecturing to the bookie: actually, thinking in probability terms 1)

lmao

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Iron Twinkie posted:

It's frustrating that any attempts to interact with the liberal crowd on the larger problems our society faces and what changes are necessary are completely ignored. They'd rather post political baseball statistics. Only statistics that say Bernie, whom they love dearly, will never be President and that better things aren't possible mind you. Any data that suggests Bernie and Social Democrat (or further left) policies are enormously possible should be ignored.

It does speak to their mindset though. I think it was Adam Curtis talking about Hypernormalization and how we are in the the situation we are in where he said offhand that change is very scary to someone who has something to lose. I know that is pretty basic but it speaks to the inner narrative going on with these people. They have a real or imagined sense of power and privilege in society and anything that could disrupt that should be avoided at all costs.

I'm not sure if they're even explicitly thinking "I want to avoid a future that might jeopardize my current life where I have a cushy job making six figures." It's more that they're basically okay with the status quo, even if they think it's flawed, and this causes them to have a reflexive reaction that people who reject the status quo must be wrong in some way. There's also a lot of (often classist) cultural elements to their attitude, where they assume that anyone strongly rejecting the status quo is fundamentally immature and unserious, so they go into discussions with a strong gut feeling that the leftists they're talking with are a bunch of dumb babies who probably have neckbeards or whatever.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Calibanibal posted:

What the hell is a horse fry???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SKULL.GIF posted:

just ride it out until they jab you with the pre-surgery relaxant and it's smooth sailing after that
Just FYI this was excellent advice, things turned out fine, and Versed/Fentanyl is a hell of a combo.