Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

yeah okay I'll do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Podima posted:

If it’s real mafia I withdraw my signup.

:emptyquote:

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

now I'm in the server and it's time for a policy vote

##vote Toalpaz

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

When did your policy become lunching innocent townspeople. Alternatively, people of townsville.

IF YOU REARRANGE THE LETTERS IN 'TOALPAZ' IT SPELLS 'LYNCH THIS SCUM'

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Mr. Humalong posted:

weird I got 'TO LA PAZ' and dog I am not interested in going to Bolivia right now.

I'm also not good at anagrams.

it's okay, I got your anagram back

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

##vote Bif

Nat 20 is a bad mod. Bad mods lie.

DEATH TO SCUMBIF

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

To help revive the tradition of 'Joke Phase', I'm going to leave a 'Joke Vote' on 'Podima'.

##vote Podima

I am 110% behind lynching anyone who tries to stop the jokephase train with serious posting

##vote PodPerson

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Wait poo poo I wanted to use my night action and make voting superfluous

dammit

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

wait hold on we didn't even have a night, why do I even have a night action

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Monathin posted:

I'm assuming Dancer's flip means that on being lunched there's no night.

Which is honestly :laffo: and I'd give im a solid ovation if it turns out he planned to look shady just for that to happen.

Oh. Well that sucks.

I was planning to lurk all of D1 so I could use my night action and then just shitpost the rest of the game. I don't think I'd be able to lurk my way through D2.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

I don't know if that's forever or just for this night.

I guess we'll see!!

Vote GenericGirlName and find out!!!!

best case of the day so far

lead us onwards, great detective asiina

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Dancer posted:

:ghost: I am freeeee :ghost:

yes but you've damned us all

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Podima posted:

Fakeclaiming as town is rarely, if ever, a good strategy. In general, fakeclaiming as town simply increases the confusion in the game which benefits scum directly. Or even worse, it can lead to town claims coming out at unnecessary times which - also - benefits scum. We saw this recently where Toalpaz incorrectly and foolishly outed a town gunsmith in Ecco's recent Clash of Crocodiles game by fakeclaiming watcher and saying they had seen Rhjamiz visit the kill target. While town still won that game, it was largely on the back of a 3rd party who ultimately still lost the game thanks to confusion over poor town play.

Podima posted:

Cults are inherently broken when used as a baseline, simply because - as I think was actually correctly brought up by GX on Discord a couple of days ago - their "night kill" is functionally a double kill in that it reduces town's numbers by one AND increases cult's numbers by one, accelerating endgame at twice the typical rate. While cults could potentially disrupt scum and force scum to prioritize cult-hunting, in practice this never actually happens because it's functionally impossible to cult-hunt. The only thing you can look for is people's opinions changing, which happens ALL THE TIME anyways because people gently caress around instead of playing Mafia like they should be. Also, the cult recruiter is incredibly weak to being executed, which can just shut down that entire mechanic prematurely.

I have seen some good implementations of cults though - once again citing an Eccogame, Murder of St. Leroux had an interesting setup. The cult was the recruiter plus one recruit, and while there was a lot going on in that game the tl;dr is that the cult recruiter functionally knew who all the town power roles were (because everyone IDIOTICALLY flavorclaimed Day 1) so they had a choice each night - "recruit" a town power role (killing them) or recruit a vanilla townie, which would recruit them - but it would also kill their existing recruit. Thus, the size of the cult was constrained, as was their relative power level from only being able to recruit vanillas. It was a good game, and I'm not just saying that because I carried town to victory.

Podima posted:

Cops in a vacuum suck. Ha ha.

But no, cops are terrible because they stifle discussion, which is the antithesis of a good game of Mafia on the forums. Trackers and watchers are superior as a baseline because they allow opportunities for nuance or flexibility in the results - being tracked to a kill isn't always condemning evidence. Alternately, and I know GX will disagree with me here but I want her to stay focused on the true target of her ire, cop sanities are another mechanism by which you can counter their chilling effect upon the game. That kind of thing does have to be handled with care though, as it can lead to players generally growing disillusioned with their role.

that's not a very nice thing to say to asiina

(for those of you following along, the bolded letters in the quote spell out 'Please no stoooooop fu')

I take this to mean that we should please not stop shitposting, message received

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

also, it's funny that you are using the "forbidden technique" after I saw Max using it in some game recently too! I know I've been told it was way over the top back when I used to do it, and couldve sworn you two on the etiquette team had to be some of the detractors :cheeky:

also what's the forbidden technique

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Watching Nat and GX slapfight is just exhausting and dumb.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Podima posted:

now you know what it's like for us to read your posts

:sidvicious:

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

list...?

If you have a dumb posting restriction that requires you to respond with repeated words in the post you're responding to, please respond using one or more of these words:

Yes
No
I'm going to keep this posting restriction gimmick going, even though I've been given an out by Solus
I'm scum

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

:cripes:

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

##Bomb KB
##vig SolusLunes

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

chaoslord posted:

Deadline when????

Nobody knows. Nat's a bad mod.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Podima posted:

Votecount for Day 2

SalTheBard (4): Bifauxnen, Asiina, Podima, Toalpaz, Podima, Podima, vector_to, Asiina
Mr. Humalong (2): Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Xad, Asiina
Podima (1): Podima, Podima, SalTheBard
Toalpaz (1): Mr. Humalong
GenericGirlName (0): Asiina, Asiina
Asiina (0): Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima
Lynch No One! (0): Xad, Xad, Asiina, Asiina

Not Voting (6): chaoslord, GenericGirlName, GeneX, IcePhoenix, Monathin, SolusLunes

With 14 alive, it's 8 votes to execute. The current deadline is October 16th, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 1 hour.

Okay I suppose I could've looked at votefinder

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

though I guess I ought get a vote in for D2

##vote Toalpaz

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

vector_to posted:

So I used to live in this small village in North Wales when I was a little kid, population of maybe four-thousand tops. Now, this village was situated beneath a mountain called Cadair Idris. Back then, my grasp of Welsh was pretty bad, but I knew Cadair could mean chair, so I used to wonder about what kind of chair must be on top of this thing. Well, one day, as part of some heritage festival in the town, a lady sets up tent as a storyteller, and people would drop their kids off for half an hour and they'd listen to a story about the folklore of the surrounding area. My parents dropped me off, and I remember sitting at the back of a group of maybe fifteen children, as this lady starts telling us the story of a giant called Idris, who used to love watching the stars at night, but he always used to get a bad neck looking up at them all the time. So, one day, he carves out a massive chair, sets it down in North Wales, and starts sitting there every night. So, that's why the mountain is called Idris' Chair.

Now, the story sticks with me, and a few years later, my dad offers to take me for a hike up the mountain, and remembering the story, I jump at the chance. We pack up a tent and some sleeping bags, along with some crappy tinned breakfasts for the next day, and we set off up. The plan was to get to the top on the first day, then camp part-way down, before finishing the descent day 2. Now, I don't remember much of the climb, probably because I was so excited about seeing this massive loving chair on top of the mountain. I had images in my mind of some massive, imposing stone throne, sat right at the edge of the cliff-face. Anyway, we reach the top, and there's nothing but a small cairn of pebbles that people have added to over the years. It's certainly not a chair. So I ask my dad where the chair is, and he gives me this look like I'm retarded. There isn't a chair up here, he says, what are you on about. So I tell him about the story, and he asks me if the storyteller meant that the mountain itself was the chair.

I don't know why it never occurred to me that a giant might be big enough to have a mountain for a chair, but I remember feeling overcome with a sense of understanding when we went down to camp that night.

Would've been much cooler if there was a chair.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

There was but Conor McGregor threw it across the land

hopefully better than he can throw a football

mafia edit: still a better QB than bortles

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

Wait is that a real person?

I thought it was a made up name a character was obsessed with in The Good Place.

nope

the jacksonville jaguars QB is literally named Blake Bortles

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

He was instrumental in winning me a fantasy football championship last year and it was great

I named my fantasy team during his second year in the league 'Bortlestar Galactica'

I drafted Zeke in his rookie year, and traded for Aaron Rodgers

needless to say, I won

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

:emptyquote:

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

You did, in fact, miss something.

This should help you clear up why my role is what it is:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850934

so what I'm getting out of this is that there should be a 'imgay is a jester mafia'

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

Nat was LP/BP town in my game, so it's his revenge. There's a reason my role is called Nat is petty.

Well I mean he's probably right about you being scum though

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I HOPE YOU ALL HATE VOTING BECAUSE WE DOIN' THIS

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

(don't have full volume on if you click this)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A3MZGiiGlYU

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Even if scum kills me tonight they can't stop what I've set in motion

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

Solus. I believe you can stop the scum. Unless you are scum. Then stop yourself.

I am not the scum. I don't even think this will stop the scum.

This will, however, make Podima's posting restriction even funnier.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Podima posted:

Don't you god drat touch me.

YOU'RE

TOO

SLOW

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Xad posted:

I am afraid and excited for what solus may have done

DO YOU BELIEVE

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

chaoslord posted:

1) it is currently night and you can’t vote at night

2) solus has said their night action makes voting superfluous, most of us have interpreted that as we won’t be able to vote

yeah I ain't got nothing to do with why you can't vote at night

who votes at night

voting at night is the death of democracy

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Monathin posted:

Okay THAT has to be solus' thing. Thanks Solus!

of course, my friend

gotta go fast

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

rip me, hoist by my own sanic petard, I was traveling all day today and couldn't computer

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

Nobody roots for me. The poor lonely survivor :(

:ghost: but survivor is a mediocre show now, its genre-defining moment has come and gone :ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

:ghost: RAP. BATTLE. SON. :ghost:

:drat:

• Locked thread