Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
hi yes I agree nat20 is a bad mod, which is why I will play this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Sorry, I mean

I'm a Nat20 aligned serial killer

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Podima posted:

If it’s real mafia I withdraw my signup.

:agreed: :same:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

of course this is real mafia, just like Nat is a real bad mod

hmmmm

strong point

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

N0 cop on pod, he scum

##vote Pod

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I have received another n0 cop on Asiina, reading “cult”

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

##vote Pod

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pod probably has a post restriction, but it’s an annoying one, so

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Asiina posted:

This is bad. Also I realized my pre-game vote didn't count so I'm free!!

##vote GX

My role would make me depressed to use because I don’t like arguing, so by all means, feel free?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I wonder if Nat randomized any roles, or just came up with stuff for everyone and then gave it to them

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

chaoslord posted:

Hm. I need to make a few more posts today I think I'm only at like 5/10 so far

hmm

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

mine was easy to understand! :sun:

:same:

I just hate mine because it's more fun for Nat than for me

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Xad posted:

feel free to make a more worthwhile vote anytime

are you trying to bait an argument with noted mod-proclaimed town player bee-fowx-nehn?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Podima posted:

GX reads as neutral to me despite the "oh it's a posting restriction" thing, I feel like they wouldn't instantly jump to emotional appeals as scum?

I'm not sure what you're trying to call out as an emotional appeal, but please elaborate

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Podima posted:

it was this:

Hmm.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I'm playing under protest, I only wish I was scum

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Podima posted:

Hello Gene! While you're here, could you please drop a couple of reads, town or scum? Even gut feelings would do.

nah, I signed up for nat 20 is a bad mod mafia, not nat 20 is a bad mod but let's play this super seriously mafia

if I see something I think is weird, I'll post about it, but I don't feel like writing lists or w/e

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

I should be around for deadline. Obviously prefer dancer. GX is probably my second choice from this post:

Just seems like a pre-exused reason to coast and not play which is not helpful

It's exactly that, except it's not an "excuse" so much as a blatant statement of intent

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Oh we're definitely going to talk about this in postgame

suffice it to say that nat 20 definitely handpicked my role, and it's so utterly ridiculous that I cannot conceive of this as a functional setup

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

if the setup is too ridiculous to take seriously, why bother to try and avoid pointless claiming, don't tease us like this

I want the reveal in postgame because Nat will enjoy me actually using it

which I will do...not today, because I don't feel like it, but perhaps tomorrow night

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Asiina posted:

tbh I agree with you CL

I don't know why Pod is trying so hard when it was a joke signup for a joke game.

I agree but I kinda get it

Humalong promises fun, so ##vote Humalong

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

oh hahahaha

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Asiina posted:

Awww, you got it buddy!

Now the next step is to realize....it's never a joke.

mlyp

chaoslord posted:

Yeah I noticed that too or else I was going to silently do that for sure and see how long it took folks to notice much like with KB's av

don't touch my assless chaps gangtag though, it's v important

I don't have an image editing program on my computer or I'd make it transparent and optimize it

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Asiina posted:

I'm already in bed but I can do it in like 30 seconds tomorrow.

Aww, thanks! :yayclod:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Yeah, imagine thinking pod had a pr

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

hold off on the coup until I use my role, which will require me to be more awake

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Nat20 sucks, this game is a disaster, and I'm definitely not just saying this because he's mercilessly crippled poor Podima

What a ruthless, cruel, and code-obsessed dork of a mod, he is, a bad mod, even

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

"Oh man I'm GX and I think a town the lunches correctly 9 days in a row should lose."

I, too, don't understand the basic concept of a 14 wincon game having, shockingly, many mutually exclusive winconditions

maybe I'll just go and attempt to ruin the game, then refuse to participate at all beyond sniping about it

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

Man perhaps a 14 wincon game is a bad idea.

And maybe day ending vigs are going to be used in the most obvious way possible.

Who could have predicted these basic aspects of mafia?

Like if you want to shittalk me in my games at least make yours vaguely decent first.

See, here's the thing.

I know what I did wrong, and the 14 wincons: not actually one of those things, aside from players bitching over it. If pioneering about 10 different mechanics, alignments, and/or roles in the same game had a mishap or two, that's still quite a good goddamn success.

Perhaps the blatant, obvious intention for the dayvig to be conserved until you needed it, and used to protect you otherwise, was too subtle for you. Maybe if you'd kept it for a day and seen the alignment screwery — incidentally, giving you ample reason to retain your protective role — you'd have realized, but Ol' Premature-Nat's just got to kill someone 6 hours in, ending D1 before any benefit can be gleaned from it. The most pro-town of moves, surely, absolutely, definitely, but shame on me for assuming you'd think before acting.

But let's talk games, Nat. Let's just talk about the ones I've been around for. Let's start with DBZ and the robot cult, a failed attempt at balancing a cult mechanic around a set of players who through blind luck got the chance to be recruited and thus shoved everyone else into an oh-so-fun game of "guess which town player isn't anymore". Let's talk about the time chamber, which incentivized pure spam and chaos in a way utterly infuriating to experience. Let's talk about the scumteam that directly swapped to becoming town while retaining all their scum tricks. (Let's not talk about player-specific things though, because this is an argument, not a blood feud, hahaha.)

There's Yugioh, and though I'll grudgingly admit approval of your extensive card creation mechanics, "just spread 'em and let god sort 'em out" is the laziest modding methodology on earth. "Well, I made these cool things, my job here is done. Player experience? What's player experience? I'm running a game, and not an exhibition? Huh?"

I made a few prototype errors while seeing how far I could push the basic structure of mafia without things collapsing, sure. What's your excuse?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Also, Asiina, here's a much more optimized non-transparent version of the gif, for when you've got time and/or motivation to help me out more:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

GeneX posted:

Also, Asiina, here's a much more optimized non-transparent version of the gif, for when you've got time and/or motivation to help me out more:

oh wait lmao you already used this one, hmm

well, my image editing knowledge is 0, so

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

SolusLunes posted:

Watching Nat and GX slapfight is just exhausting and dumb.

mlyp

Natural 20 posted:

It's funny that you still don't understand vig methodology when you get one and you're, y'know, actually good at mafia. I get target murdered early in almost every game at this point so either sit dick in hand and do poo poo loving all or I can dump down a vig using past metas to actually hit a target.

And guess what, I did! Because I'm really really loving good at mafia.

And speaking of games, DBZ2 is a goddamn amazing game with a single flaw that is not accounting for the existence of goddamn Lumpen. The cult mechanics meant an entire scum team could switch to town because it made for awesome flavour and the game would still work, but apparently people hate cults, aka playing games of mafia so much that they'll throw their toys out the pram because there happens to be one in the game.

And the time chamber, christ the time chamber was like watching a chimp try to understand quantum physics. A smart town, a sensible town, would have seen the postcount powerup and collectively chosen not to spam to hell, but you guys couldn't do that so you made a hell of your own making. Hell an even cleverer town would have set up a trap for to see if they could bait scum posters into posting for powerup gains.

Seriously though, you criticse Yu-gi-oh? And your central criticism is literally "You shouldn't have RNG" IN A GODDAMN MAFIA GAME BASED ON A CCG?

It's like you come from this bizarre alternate dimension where you haven't figured out that I'm a goddamn mafia genius.

People should be looking at this game and not being like "WTF is this game" but like "I wonder how Nat actually managed to balance out all this madness." But no, they don't, because they, like you, do not appreciate the gift that is Nat goddamn 20.

And spoilers, if I can mess up on a game with four alignments then you doing 14 is like a cat trying to learn how to rollerblade.

I totally understand vig methodology, and I know you do too, which is why "lol it's a dayvig, I'm gonna shoot right now" is so frustrating! Killing someone so early on when you have a power strong enough to completely change endgame, or lynch someone you think is suspect that people don't agree with you on, is really, really powerful. Having indefinite lynchproofing as a way of insuring that you can say whatever you want during the day, scumhunting aggressively and ignoring all pressure on you, should have lent itself very well to your off-the-wall (but sometimes scarily accurate) casing methods...but you instead decided to kill the day, KB, and your own interest in the game. Like, that role existed because of a game I played like 7 years ago on the MSPA forums, where I had it, misfired, and still caught an entire scum faction on my own. And I didn't even have the lynchproof incentive to not fire it off! If you, who I will admit are a very good player, will just ignore the blatant and correct usage of the role, then that says something real strong about how restricted dayvigs need to be made in order to not precipitate a mass firing.

Lumpen...okay yeah, I'll give you that one. But I think you underestimate how dispiriting it can be to learn that there's a cult out there that you're a target for, how it drastically warps every player's posting with the knowledge that they or anyone else can never rely on observations from anything but the current day, and how it's a functional noose around the neck of people who made innocuous claims early on without knowing or suspecting mechanical significance to their revealed information. Cults share the flaws of mason recruiters, serial killers, traitors, and markers, all in one, and their upside is so massive that they can't be given insurance for their equally massive fragility. One recruiter is too few, a BP'd recruiter is too weak, a lynchproof recruiter is too strong, and multiple recruiters are broken messes. Quitting a game because a cult is present is maybe a tad strong, but it's not at all unreasonable to be angry about one being around.

The time chamber...if you'll accuse me of not knowing dayvig psychology well enough to guess at inevitable non-optimal usage, then I'll throw it back threefold for the time chamber. Much like your lurker guns, the time chamber benefits a very specific playstyle more than it does a specific faction, and also like lurker guns, it's decidedly impossible to manipulate without either shutting down discussion from talkative players, forcing spam from one or two players, or getting into a rat race. It was only usable by town or by scum being loving moronic, but it still hurt everyone because of how it was usable.

Yugioh was a cheap shot because I liked saying "let's talk games" and then realized I didn't have a second example of a moderator fuckup on your end :v: RNG games are fun.

Anyway, you can respond, I'm done with this argument beyond complete skepticism that you're willing and able to balance any game, even with role madness. Somehow (the answer is: meticulous theorycrafting and most roles having roughly even chances of victory, with those chances small by virtue of the alignment minefield), my game with 14 alignments ended up pretty drat balanced, which is more than I can say for your card game mod abdication central or alignment swap saiyan land.

Bifauxnen posted:

GX can you roleclaim yet christ

Soon™

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Podima posted:

Also I'm expecting Nat20 to confirm GX as town, imgay-style.

My role had exactly zero mechanical relevance, though I probably could have argued my way into being modkilled.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

a role that says "person X is town" doesn't prove poo poo

I have the ability to target someone at night, and have that person then be announced as town. There was nothing said about the person needing to BE town for this to occur.

wait

isn't that sal's claim, too?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

YES THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING AUUUUGH

no, like, it's straight up the exact same claim, I didn't quite realize

and since you were curious, my role was that I could precipitate a 10 post argument with nat20 at any time by posting a specific phrase. A very serious, powerful role in this serious, powerful game.

I'd been trying to set it up so it would be innocuous after I did a lot of complaining early on, and thus make it seem like he just snapped after I went too far, but I decided that I wanted to just use it now, since a) Nat likes arguing and he's a friend, and b) I was getting antsy about having to be negative and rude, because my fatal flaw is my inability to fully let go of grudges or emotions, not my being mean or catty, and I was constantly worried I'd go too far and/or end up actually sad

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I still expect nat to murder me in the next mafia game we're together in, tho :v:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Podima posted:

I don't think I've been this let down since a certain someone decided to flip back to the wrong side of a conflict at literally the last possible moment.

*insert wilted rose emoji*

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Bif (or Sal, I guess, if you’re not lying), I suggest seeing if you can get Nat 20 to say that Asiina is town

I’m too lazy to check who claimed bif is town credit first but that’s probably useful info to have

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

How about the “confirm someone else” bit?

I could definitely buy nat handing out the same role twice, but making one a quack version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Bif, is that your claim too? Read to me as you were auto-proclaimed (sure, I won’t say “confirmed”) and you chose someone else, too

• Locked thread