Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I don't drink coffee, but I do drink 40 to 50 ounces of diet soda a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Lazyhound posted:

I want to buy an espresso machine but I’d feel like an rear end in a top hat spending $400 on a coffee grinder to go with it.

If you spend 400 on a coffee grinder, the you would be an rear end in a top hat

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
My coffee grinder was like 8 bucks. It's a little handheld thing that you put the beans in and crank a handle on. A minute later, you have enough fresh ground coffee for 3-4 cups

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Dregs posted:

If you spend 400 on a coffee grinder, the you would be an rear end in a top hat

I agree, but on the other hand the small plastic electric grinders you can get for $50 are kind of shoddy and probably won't last you more than a couple years tops. There's a good price point probably somewhere around $100-150 I'd guess. 400 is way too much.

Or like the dude above me said you can just get a cheap manual one and that'll last you forever.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Gone Fission posted:

what? a normal coffee grinder can do a very fine grind.

Consistency of size is important, and you do have to shell out to get it.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Skypie posted:

What the gently caress is this???

- butter must come from grass fed cows
- also add mct oil
- also add collagen powder
- blend it all in a blender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YjLMdx3YZY

what the gently caress is this https://www.bulletproof.com/products/whole-body-vibration-plate

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Cocaine is better as a wakefulness agent, and work aid. As well, it's better recreationally

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Fallows posted:

Just quit a 1g/daily habit that spanned years cold turkey a few weeks ago. I don't drink coffee though, pills are about 100x cheaper.

uhh coffee is cheap as gently caress too dumbfuck

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013
Just steal coffee from work idiots

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uwPZ4OmRY4

(skip to 30s in)

In the future, keurigs still suck rear end.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't drink it often, but when I do, it's LaJava brand and done proper in a moka pot.

Deal with it.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

The Dennis System posted:

I don't drink coffee, but I do drink 40 to 50 ounces of diet soda a day.

lol

I drink a lot of loving coffee. Drinking some right now. It sucks.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Flashback to the time SniperWoreConverse told the forum that he drank like, five pots of coffee a day but stopped because he had begun to pavlovianly associate the smell of coffee as the smell of piss and couldn't stop thinking that he was drinking piss.

thats the straight dope
Apr 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Y'all gently caress with barrel aged coffee?

https://www.moderntimesmerch.com/collections/barrel-aged-coffees

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

That is some straight up retarded bullshit I tell you hwat

Like seriously coffee is the best when it's as fresh as possible. That's just complete idiocy.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Flashback to the time SniperWoreConverse told the forum that he drank like, five pots of coffee a day but stopped because he had begun to pavlovianly associate the smell of coffee as the smell of piss and couldn't stop thinking that he was drinking piss.

This is also why my dad stopped buying Golden Smacks or whatever that cereal with the frog mascot was

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Lazyhound posted:

I want to buy an espresso machine but I’d feel like an rear end in a top hat spending $400 on a coffee grinder to go with it.

I bought a decent espresso machine and a grinder for like 16 bucks total at a local thrift store. Sure, it's not a fancy burr-style grinder that you need for espresso, but it gets the job done. Just remember to get a tamper to press down the grounds in your portafilter. This helps give you more consistent shots(or "pulls" if you lucked out and got a lever style machine at goodwill). Also, if you make espresso at work your break room smells like a cool coffee house all day long and that's pretty rad too :)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
7-Eleven coffee is good. Literally better than Starbucks.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Telebite posted:

- butter must come from grass fed cows
- also add mct oil
- also add collagen powder
- blend it all in a blender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YjLMdx3YZY

what the gently caress is this https://www.bulletproof.com/products/whole-body-vibration-plate

This is the most hilarious diet fad that grifters have sold idiots in the last decade lmao

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

"just loving shove butter down your gullet, idiot, it's healthy"

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Chinatown posted:

They just started offering cold brew at my local 7-Eleven and it's leagues better than Starbucks.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

vyst posted:

They just started offering cold brew at my local 7-Eleven and it's leagues better than Starbucks.

Starbucks' coffee isn't good, but it's still better than Tim Hortons coffee, which somehow has a stranglehold on Canadian culture.

Second Cup ain't bad, though.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
self-medicate your ADHD with coffee

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

mojo1701a posted:

Starbucks' coffee isn't good, but it's still better than Tim Hortons coffee, which somehow has a stranglehold on Canadian culture.

“Culture”

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

mojo1701a posted:

Old people will choose consistency over quality every time. Everything Tim's offers is incredibly mediocre, but gently caress ever trying anything new. :bahgawd:

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm drinking Folger's with a lil' bit of skim right now

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It's a psychoactive drug and everyone is abusing it and it makes people psychotic. Lots of what's wrong in modern society can be directly traced back to skyrocketing tea& coffee consumption.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Coffee, tea, caffeine and risk of depression: A systematic review and dose–response meta‐analysis of observational studies

quote:

Six articles 22-26, 28 including 327 697 individuals and 5253 cases of depression were considered for the analysis of the extreme categories of coffee consumption and depression. RRs with 95% CIs of depression for the highest versus the lowest (reference) coffee consumption category was calculated for seven datasets and resulted in a 24% decreased risk of depression (RR = 0.76, 95% CI: 0.64, 0.91; Fig. 2). However, small heterogeneity was found among prospective and cross‐sectional studies (Fig. 2). Among prospective, all studies reported decreased risk of depression for higher intake of coffee, while the main contributor for heterogeneity was the study of Ruusunen et al. 22 due to large 95% CI (the study accounted for only 49 cases of depression of 2183 individuals). Among cross‐sectional investigations, the study of Omagari et al. 25 reported a much lower risk estimate than the others and very large CIs due to small sample and low number of cases (89 individuals and 15 depressed patients). Visual inspection of the funnel plot suggested asymmetry toward the study of Omagari et al. 25 (Supporting Information Fig. 1). Possible reasons may be study size, study quality, and lack of adjustments for any confounders. After exclusion of studies one at a time, absence of the study of either Ruusunen et al. 22 or Omagari et al. 25 did not change overall risk estimates, but leaded to significant reduction of heterogeneity (I2 = 0%) and confirmed a significant reduced risk of depression among prospective studies (RR = 0.90, 95% CI: 0.84, 0.97). Subgroup analyses were conducted to test the stability of results (Table 2). Overall, higher coffee consumption had a protective effect against depression in all subgroups except when analyses were not adjusted for dietary variables or social isolation (Supporting Information Table 1).

A dose–response analysis per 500 mL/day increase of tea consumption suggested significant reduced risk of depression associated with tea consumption (RR 0.85, 95% CI: 0.74, 0.98; Fig. 3), yet with evidence of heterogeneity and conclusions of subgroup analyses due to the aforementioned study of Guo et al. 24 (Supporting Information Table 2). Visual inspection of dose–response effect (Fig. 3) revealed no significant correlation between tea and risk of depression (Table 2). However, the study of Guo et al. 24 showed also a subgroup analysis by caffeinated or decaffeinated beverages, resulting in a significant decreased risk of depression for the second and the third highest category of caffeinated tea consumption versus the lowest (reference). Therefore, two additional models including risk estimates from (i) caffeinated and decaffeinated tea and (ii) caffeinated tea only showed a potential reduced risk of depression for increased intake of tea (Supporting Information Table 2 and Supporting Information Fig. 3).

not an endorsement fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 11, 2018

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Before I had to quit coffee for medical reasons, I was totally a coffee snob.

If you want the good poo poo buy Dominican or Jamacian Blue mountain coffee as the beans, grind them yourself, and run it through an actually good espresso machine (the kind with a scoop you turn by hand, not that automated kind). The result is a shot so powerful yet mellow that it has zero of that acidic bite at all. No need to turn it into a latte. Blew my loving mind first time I tried it.

Coffee that good costs at least 30 bucks a lb. though :(

Protip: if coffee gives you GERD or other acid related issues, low acid blends exist. If you’re not near a coffee shop fancy enough for that, drink cold brew. The way the beans are treated makes them less acidic and even trash-tier coffee shops like Dunkin Donuts have it now.

Grimtooth
Dec 4, 2004

Fred Meijer has a posse....

Chinatown posted:

this is said as if starbucks is great instead of expensive

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Grimtooth posted:

this is said as if starbucks is great instead of expensive

I’m not saying this to be smug but all Starbucks products taste REALLY acidic for some reason. Like the bile at the back of your theoat before you puke level of acidic. I worked at a Starbucks during college and asked why, a manager said all of their beans were over-roasted.

Honestly for decent tasting cheap morning commute coffee, I really like McDonald’s iced drinks.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

mojo1701a posted:

I like Tim's b/c at least it's cheap, and it still tastes good cold. But it is def garbage tier compared to p much anywhere else.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

joke's on you I was born with depression!!

cnut
May 3, 2016

Cantaloupe posted:

I'm drinking Folger's with a lil' bit of skim right now

:thermidor:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

oh wait i actually read it now

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

extra row of teeth posted:

I’m not saying this to be smug but all Starbucks products taste REALLY acidic for some reason. Like the bile at the back of your theoat before you puke level of acidic. I worked at a Starbucks during college and asked why, a manager said all of their beans were over-roasted.

Honestly for decent tasting cheap morning commute coffee, I really like McDonald’s iced drinks.

Yeah, it's the one way they can keep a homogenized "flavour" for their beans is by roasting away any nuance. There are some coffee types that are more acidic as well. A darker roast also has less caffeine, I think.

esperterra posted:

I like Tim's b/c at least it's cheap, and it still tastes good cold. But it is def garbage tier compared to p much anywhere else.

Oh, yeah. It's a great way to get an energy kick, both because it's a caffeine jolt and the flavour is like dunking your head into ice water. There's a reason why a double-double is the preferred method of drinking it.

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Old people will choose consistency over quality every time. Everything Tim's offers is incredibly mediocre, but gently caress ever trying anything new. :bahgawd:

That, too. At one point, my old town had two across the street from each other. The older one ended up being the "smoking" one, and the new one became the "non-smoking" one. Before the law changed about 20 years ago, that is.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I always loved when people would be pissed we didn't have dark roasy brewed in the morning sometimes at my old job, because they wanted it 'stronger' and would argue with me when I'd tell them the lighter roasts have more caffiene anyway lmbo

Dark tastes better but it cooks that poo poo off

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

mojo1701a posted:

That’s because Tim Hortons coffee is just straight up murky hot diarrhea water sprayed firehose-style into a cup from the rear end of some trailer trash Canadian fuckwit whose diet consists only of bagged milk and tree bark and in summation gently caress the the entire blighted wasteland that is Canada and I cannot wait until it’s annexed by these GREAT UNITED STATES and turned into a sanctuary where we can release our pedophiles and other criminals into the Wild.

Also I like the convenience of my Keurig.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I live in BC and I have never seen a bag of milk in my life. Not unless it's industrial poo poo for a creamizer machine.

Is it an east coast thing or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Yes, it is/was.

• Locked thread