Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I thought we were talking about the setting, which sucks rear end, but I played it last month before playing Shadespire, which owns.

AoS the game still sucks rear end though, but this isnt the AoS thread tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Moola posted:

Vermintide 2 is so loving good

gotta reinstall that again and check out the new DLC

Look at this guy liking things. What a dweeb. Shill.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Thank you for your input, person who I’m sure has never actually eaten poo poo in their entire life. I (a person who regularly eats hot feces fresh out the rear end in a top hat) know from experience that poo poo is in fact, good!!

Heh, owned

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

Thank you for your input, person who I’m sure has never actually eaten poo poo in their entire life. I (a person who regularly eats hot feces fresh out the rear end in a top hat) know from experience that poo poo is in fact, good!!

Heh, owned

:same:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Broken Record Talk posted:

I think another big draw for 28mm is that a lot of people already own tons of terrain for it. I’ve been looking to get into Chain of Command, and as much as I want to play it at a smaller scale, I don’t feel like replacing the several thousands of dollars of terrain I already have, just to swap to a more interesting scale.
I am in a similar situation. I got into WW2 stuff for Chain of Command at 28mm (because it was cheap and ubiquitous), but all of my ACW stuff is 15mm (because it was cheap and ubiquitous). So now I'm kind of in the unhappy place of trying to decide whether I want to ditch all of my 15mm ACW minis and "scale up" to 28mm for Sharp Practice 2, or resign myself to collecting terrain at two different scales. Decisions, decisions. I probably should have done CoC at 15mm, but gods do all those 28mm mans and tanks look good!

On a different topic: QC/Customer Service. After years of playing the game and many models purchased, I finally got an Infinity mini from CB that was mis-packed. I used their complaint code system (each package has one or more little slips of paper inside with this code on it) and it was super easy. They sent me the missing piece without issue at no cost to me, posted to the US directly from Spain. It took a little over a week to get. It was a super easy, super smooth, and painless process. I was impressed.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hixson posted:

Heh, owned

Spoken like someone who's never had official Citadel Bubblegut Arsemud

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Ilor posted:

I am in a similar situation. I got into WW2 stuff for Chain of Command at 28mm (because it was cheap and ubiquitous), but all of my ACW stuff is 15mm (because it was cheap and ubiquitous). So now I'm kind of in the unhappy place of trying to decide whether I want to ditch all of my 15mm ACW minis and "scale up" to 28mm for Sharp Practice 2

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Hustlin Floh posted:

Spoken like someone who's never had official Citadel Bubblegut Arsemud

:china:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I know, the 28mm Perry ACW stuff looks so goddamned good. :shepicide:

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Personally, I'm not interested in any miniature smaller than 25-28mm base size. I don't care about the setting/gameplay/terrain reasons. Simply that once you get that small I stop giving a poo poo. I don't want to look at it, and there just isn't enough room to make them fun to paint. Not interested.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Moola who do you play as in Vermintide? I like Saltzpyre, because his actor goes full ham and he really does care about the rest of the characters, in his own weird way. Except the elf, which is fitting and proper.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
The only good thing about the Fantasy setting (skaven) is in AoS, so AoS is by default at least as good. But it's actually better because the skaven apparently hosed up a chaos god.

i say apparently because i haven't actually read the fluff because fluff is for suckers

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Nebalebadingdong posted:

The only good thing about the Fantasy setting (skaven) is in AoS, so AoS is by default at least as good. But it's actually better because the skaven apparently hosed up a chaos god.

i say apparently because i haven't actually read the fluff because fluff is for suckers

Skaven also hosed over Nagash AGAIN, at the end of Malign Portents.

If you hate the old stories, that is fine but the Portents stuff was actually well written.

https://malignportents.com/stories/

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ilor posted:

I know, the 28mm Perry ACW stuff looks so goddamned good. :shepicide:

I just bought a few boxes of it.

Spoiler alert, it IS good.

Besides, it's Sharp Practice 2, "starting over" means buying like 2 infantry boxes.

For actual death thread content, ranking up miniatures has literally never been a good or fun thing to do, square bases suck

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Skaven are back now? Interest in AoS reignited.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Mugaaz posted:

Personally, I'm not interested in any miniature smaller than 25-28mm base size. I don't care about the setting/gameplay/terrain reasons. Simply that once you get that small I stop giving a poo poo. I don't want to look at it, and there just isn't enough room to make them fun to paint. Not interested.
Yeah, but you can paint a lot of them really fast!

But no, I totally get you, and it's ultimately why I decided to do WW2 in 28mm.

The biggest thing to consider in terms of scale of miniature is the scale of engagement you're looking to model. For as bad-rear end as I think Imperial Knight models are, that scale of poo poo doesn't really belong in 40K-sized engagements. That's why Epic was so good - it let you play much bigger scale battles with awesome stuff from the fluff like titans and super-heavy tanks and poo poo. As a similar historical example, Chain of Command is explicitly a platoon-scale game. There are ways to do the game up to maybe company-scale for a big multi-player event, but beyond that you're just talking about too many minis in too small an area. You either need a bigger board or littler dudes. I've seen some loving awesome looking 6mm modern set-ups that modeled battalion/brigade scale engagements, but while I think those look really cool, I don't really have any interest in playing historical games at that scale.

Unfortunately, that 15mm/28mm divide is right on that platoon/company scale where my interests lie, so it's a much tougher choice.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Besides, it's Sharp Practice 2, "starting over" means buying like 2 infantry boxes.

For actual death thread content, ranking up miniatures has literally never been a good or fun thing to do, square bases suck

Can confirm. I am building Perry AWI stuff for Sharp Practice 2 and it rules.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Ilor posted:

Yeah, but you can paint a lot of them really fast!

But no, I totally get you, and it's ultimately why I decided to do WW2 in 28mm.

The biggest thing to consider in terms of scale of miniature is the scale of engagement you're looking to model. For as bad-rear end as I think Imperial Knight models are, that scale of poo poo doesn't really belong in 40K-sized engagements. That's why Epic was so good - it let you play much bigger scale battles with awesome stuff from the fluff like titans and super-heavy tanks and poo poo. As a similar historical example, Chain of Command is explicitly a platoon-scale game. There are ways to do the game up to maybe company-scale for a big multi-player event, but beyond that you're just talking about too many minis in too small an area. You either need a bigger board or littler dudes. I've seen some loving awesome looking 6mm modern set-ups that modeled battalion/brigade scale engagements, but while I think those look really cool, I don't really have any interest in playing historical games at that scale.

Unfortunately, that 15mm/28mm divide is right on that platoon/company scale where my interests lie, so it's a much tougher choice.

As much as I genuinely enjoy 30k in general, Zone Mortalis, and Tactical Strike (+), coming back into the game from 3.5 Edition was super weird. Back then, the largest stuff was pretty much Land Raiders. I think that you're right and the general scale creep in terms of what's acceptable in what works best as a "skirmish game" has really harmed 40k. As cool as it is to see Primarchs, I don't think they really belong at the scale that 30k and 40k mostly make sense at.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Has anyone lately cratered as hard as Rackham did? ie: doing a complete 180 from the thing they're good at, and end up killing the company?

Had to go check other companies I remembered being questionable:

Crocodile is still making minis! I thought for sure they were dead.

Reaper has another CAV kickstarter going, but the game seems dead, and bones are the plague, but they sure do churn 'em out.

Surprised to learn DP9 still exists, and has had several successful kickstarters.

Hydra Miniatures! Still exists, and they have a new pulp scifi game on the way.

Brigade Models! Still making minis!

Hustlin Floh posted:

Also does anyone still play Star Wars Legion or did they get sick of there only being like 4 units for two armies? How could that not be fun?!?

I hate myself for buying into that one, but I have not resisted a Star Wars miniature game yet, why develop self-control now?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If I understand correctly, Crocodile is the same guy who did the "with a dash of ancient Greek" Warhammer Dark Elves in 6th / 7th edition.

I keep wanting to use Wargods figures to supplement my collection, but the only thing that would work is the topless bathing elf for the cauldron of blood, and nah I'm good.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Star Wars Legion and X-Wing 2.0 are my current favorites but Shadespire is pretty tempting solely to get some kind of tournament poo poo going; The couple of relatively local game stores I have are terrible about scheduling events for the former two, whereas everything GW has a big enough following that events occur regularly. I just want to put some gosh drat miniatures on the table and roll dice. I don't like the idea of giving GW money still in spite of them shifting from "horrendous" to "OK," and the AoS stuff still remains laughably stupid. Only the skeletons are good lookin and I wish the dwarves were normal fantasy fare instead of their stupid rear end duardin crap.

It would be great if something non-GW managed to get the kind of foothold and consistent presence as a miniature game that Magic has as a card game. I guess it's the inherent nature of the genre that it will always be kind of niche, but I place a lot of value both on hobby and a good ruleset/tournament scene. I want to paint guys very nice and also play tight games with them. A well structured organized play system with cool incentives and rewards and stuff like the Press Ganger program that PP killed off is exactly what games need and always feels like is really lacking.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
The US Brigade Games is still making stuff, too. They do a decent Elvis.

As far as hilarious missteps, I think the Catalyst and Battletech are still somehow around despite their incredibly late release schedule. Either way, it somehow survives and I’ve gotten games in, but drat, the old ruleset is rough. Alpha Strike is a pretty good step forward, although all the delays are getting a bit absurd.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I think Legion is suffering from FFG needing to get their stuff onto boats and out of China reliably enough to maintain what was meant to be a frequent and regular release cycle.

They need a more diverse range on shelves and stuff is stuck in limbo, so the release buzz is stalling.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I had assumed FFG already pulled the plug on Legion and their other Runewars Warhammer-alike.

Which is funny because if they'd launched when GW was at the height of their stupidity, both games would probably have been way more successful.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really like Crocodile Games. Their game has some really great mechanics, especially a really early psuedo integrated turn.

Glad they are still kicking. :unsmith:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

I had assumed FFG already pulled the plug on Legion and their other Runewars Warhammer-alike.

Which is funny because if they'd launched when GW was at the height of their stupidity, both games would probably have been way more successful.

It would also have been nice if the Legion troopers were multi-pose models, instead of having to hack them apart to repose them. Proper plastic would also have been nice.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Also this was a rad post. Thank you for writing it up. Is their DC minis game much the same?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pash posted:

And ya, as stated by others Mantic has been really pathetic on getting Star Saga out to backers. Multiple products have been on retail shelves for like a year before being shipped to backers. A faction we funded has been since released for deadzone without Star Saga backers getting their stuff yet as well and they keep having delays that really don't feel like they should be happening to a Company that has done this many kickstarters. Star Saga has convinced me that I should never back a Mantic Kickstarter ever again. I mean, I thought it was bad when dropfleet was available at retail like a month before I got it but mantic has blown that out of the water.

I have to wonder if they weren't trying a new crew on this or something? Maybe there was some hubris involved since they'd been able to (mostly) deliver on their other kickstarters and they over committed to retail (like Hawk) and had contractual obligations to get poo poo on shelves? I'm not defending them to be sure. I just wish I knew how they went from one of the most reliable kickstarter creators to an absolute shitshow. I'm expecting my Vanguard stuff in the next couple of weeks which is actually a bit early and they're trying to get stuff on retail shelves very quickly thereafter, so I guess they worked out the kinks?

I have a nice display cabinet that I keep everything in so all of my models are in their movement trays if they're not multi-based to begin with. When I game, I just set all my regiments in a box and carry it with me to the game store. I used to be in walking distance, but now it's a short cab ride. Of course, one of these days I'm going to be hit by a car and all of my models are going to be smashed on the streets of Bangkok.

It's also totally possible for AoS to be a playable skirmish game and still not be an adequate replacement for Warhammer Fantasy. The play styles are very different. Sure, Warhammer Fantasy had poorly aged mechanics, bloat, and dumb GW poo poo tacked on, and I had stopped playing it years before it got squatted for those reasons. But Kings of War takes the base and does something rather good with it. It's still not perfect, but it's fast and easy to learn.

If I had the time, and an actual regular gaming group to test play ideas with, I'd want to write-up an "Advanced Kings of War" rule set. I'd add a layer of Psychology, hitting back in Melee on your opponent's turn, Attacker and Defender statlines, rules for charging as a formation, etc. We've messed around with Hail Caesar/Shadow Storm but I think that plays better at 15mm.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

Moola who do you play as in Vermintide? I like Saltzpyre, because his actor goes full ham and he really does care about the rest of the characters, in his own weird way. Except the elf, which is fitting and proper.

I like him too friend, I especially like the barely coherent swears he spits under his breath while you attack things

it's like "haa'vat ya bastard... die... arhhhhh!"

he's a treasure

My fav build is zealot because you can just swing like a madman into a horde and you heal more damage than you take its hilarious

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I also liked the elf back when she could have infinite arrows but I dont enjoy her so much anymore

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not going to care about AOS until they make an AOS videogame.

Because the Old World videogames own a lot, even if the Vermintide devs are pants-on-head donking it right now.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Oooo tell me Vermintide drama

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Moola posted:

Oooo tell me Vermintide drama

Nah I haven't paid that much attention to it, but the Vermintide thread probably has something to say about :fatshark:

Good game, devs should probably stop reintroducing old bugs with new patches though

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Failson posted:

Surprised to learn DP9 still exists, and has had several successful kickstarters.

I have a collection of Heavy Gear minis and backed one of their recent kickstarters (splitting a NuCoal and Peace River order with a friend who has a frankly worrying addiction to buying and flipping mini armies), but I've never been able to get much interest in Heavy Gear down here. I've loved the setting since the first time I saw the RPG rulebook, and I'm a huge fan of the mecha and armor designs, but I'd have an easier* time finding people to play the goddamn Palladium Robotech game with. DP9 didn't even have a presence at Gencon this year, and even seemed sort of surprised when people asked them about it. :smith:

*Ok, this is sort of unfair, as one of the play groups I know includes the guy who originally pitched the miniature game to Palladium. But still!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

LeSquide posted:

*Ok, this is sort of unfair, as one of the play groups I know includes the guy who originally pitched the miniature game to Palladium. But still!

Boy is there egg on his face.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Multibased rank and flank does in fact rule though.

https://imgur.com/a/26RO0

Game and community encouraged artistic licence and conversions also rules.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 12, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ugleb posted:

I think Legion is suffering from FFG

agreed 100%

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
How's BattleTech faring nowadays? Just found out the guys who make the minis for the game (and also a bunch of old Ral Partha fantasy stuff) have their factory in my city.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Time to admit there's only ever been one good miniatures game and that's Battletech, mainly because it has pages and pages on how to make rules for zeppelins that will literally never be used by any actual players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Archenteron posted:

How's BattleTech faring nowadays? Just found out the guys who make the minis for the game (and also a bunch of old Ral Partha fantasy stuff) have their factory in my city.

I swear I had no idea this post was coming