Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Pax Ren is the third and my favourite of Phil Ecklund's Pax games. It's a game showing how the advent of capitalism rescued humanity from slavish adherence to religion, or how vested interests suppress innovation to the detriment of mankind, depends on how you play it.
I'm looking for 3-4 players to play while I'll run the game. Experience of the Pax series isn't needed as I'll be posting a little tutorial but it's fairly complex. It'll be fine, you just do what it says on the card.
The Vassal mod has access to expansion and promo cards, which would be thrown in as they seem fairly reasonable. Unless there's strenuous objection, I'd houserule hands to be open, because the nature of PBF makes it silly hiding them. I'd also be displaying which is the dominant religion because I find that victory condition egregiously non-obvious. Essentially I'm interested in seeing what Pax gameplay is like when people can think through their turns, and have less excuse for letting someone else's victory sneak up on them.

Living Rules

Player Order
Softnum - Orange
Admanb - Yellow
Gutter Owl - Blue
CthulhuDreams - Green

Full Gallery of Empire Cards

Potential Victory Conditions - Bolded are activated
Imperial - have 2 more King cards (Suzerain or Vassals, not Republics) in your tableau than any of your opponents.
Renaissance - have both more Republics in your Tableau than any of your opponents AND 2 more Law Presteige than any of your opponents.
Discovery - have both 2 more Concessions than any of your opponents AND more Discovery Prestige than any of your opponents.
Holy - have more Prestige in the Supreme Religion than any of your opponents. The Supreme Religion has more Bishops than both other religions combined AND more Nobles of its colour in Theocracies of its Religion than both other religions combined.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Cool, I'll leave it open for a bit and then start.

Here are the current rules which are good if you know what you're looking for in the index. Here's my promised guide, which may not be good at all

The players in Pax Ren are banking houses, funding endeavours and struggling with each other for dominance. How that shakes down is tableau building with a strong take-that element. A player does 2 actions, the card-market refreshes, then the next guy can take 2 actions, and so on.

The actions. You figure them out

I think the most intimidating thing in the Pax games is the information density on the cards. So, I'll put off talking about them for as long as possible and instead talk about the map:

Europe is divided into 10 Empires, the left-most six are "The West", the right-most four are "The East". Each Empire has at least one city on it (represented by a chess Piece), which shows how many Nobles that Empire can support, telling you their potential military strength. At the start of the game, each card's capitol city (in caps) has the depicted Noble(s), the other cities are empty. So the Ottoman Empire starts very strong, and the Papal States can never be well-defended.
The three colours denote religion (black is Islam, white is Catholic, and red is Reformation). Rooks can only defend their Empire while Knights can also attack others and they're all 1 strength and can take 1 hit. Rooks can also be a Pirate if placed between Empires. They are completely unrelated to Nobles, they just share a component.
Empires are paired with Tableau cards and so players can "own" them, but that doesn't stop other players from being active in the region.

More importantly than military matters are the trade routes. Lets look at Europe a little into the game. See how the capitols have been loaded, and how different the Pirates are.

The black and white lines going through the cards show the Eastern and Western Trade Route, respectively. They always end at the Mamluks and the Holy Roman Empire but where they start can change throughout the game. Cities with spiky-halos are Emporia, and 3 of the 5 will always be covered ("Busted") and are presently out of the game. The non-Busted Emporia show how trade goods currently enter Europe.
I'd also draw your attention to the player-coloured cubes on between the cards. Those are Concessions, and represent your banking house having the right to tax the goods that pass them, which is the main way of earning money. I'll discuss that in detail later. Each player starts with a Concession between their house's shield, can gain more, and can quite easily lose them.

Card Anatomy:

Now, what I've been dreading, talking about the cards themselves. Most of this text can be ignored. The game-important stuff is also split between what matters when playing a card, and what matters when activating a card you've already played. Let's look at Cromwell:

The lower-most band that says West shows that he's from the Western deck and is played to your Western Tableau. Just above that is his location; he effects the English empire card. Above that is his One-Shot. When Played, you may attempt a Reformation in England. The top-left banner shows the forces the Agents he has martialed. He has provided 2 Reformation Knights to contribute to the Reformation. That's it for information pertinent to playing him.
Once played, you can activate him as part of your Western Tableau. Then you get to chose from his ops row either Inquisitor or Tax. Some ops are limited by location, and so Cromwell can only Tax in England.
Finally, there is the icon on the top-right. This shows that while in your Tableau he provides one Reformation Prestige. Prestige is basically a victory point, but as there are many types of victories, there are many types of vp. It's always in that corner though.

The Actions
Purchase from the Market:

Have you played Century: Spice Roads? It's that. But with two market rows. One east, one west, each mostly effecting the matching side of the map. To gain a card, you put 1 florin onto the preceding cards until you reach it. You'll always be paying one as there's the Trade Fair card at the start of the row. If you buy a card w/ money on, you get the money as well as the card. You can't pick up a florin you placed that turn so if you're buying 2 cards in a turn, you buy the cheaper card first. For the second buy, rather than skipping the space you pay onto the card in the same space in the other row. You have a hard hand-limit of 2, meaning if you have 2 cards in your hand, you cannot take this action.

Sell for Florins:
You can sell a card from your hand or Tableau for 2 florins each. Tableau cards can become linked, so if you sell one, you sell them all in the same action.

Call a Trade Fair:
Discard the Trade Fair card at the start of the market. Add 2 florins from China to the pile on there and take one for yourself immediately. Then trace the appropriate trade route from it's start at the Emporium. Each Empire it passes through is reinforced with a Levy, that is a Noble matching the city. You can chose which city gets a Levy. Each concession passed earns the matching player 1 florin from the pile, each Pirate just dissipates a florin back to China. If the pile runs out, the trade fair stops. No more Levies, no more payouts.

Play a Card:
You play a card from your hand to the correct Tableau(to the left of your player card for Western cards, to the right for Eastern cards). If it has one, you may activate its One-Shot ability. These are many and varied but mostly to do w/ grabbing Empire cards, which is good as grabbing an Empire Card earns you a concession, as well as contributing to various victories. Coronation lets you swipe one of the listed Empires from the Empire stack (ie, the empires not in anyone's Tableau). The five different types of Civil War all attempt to kill that Empire's Nobles and if you manage it you control the empire. Trade-Shifts change the non-Busted Emporium. Playing also gives you the option to place the card's Agents. Nobles go into cities, Pawns go into boarders as concessions, Pirates go into boarders too and immediately kill any concession they meet, and Bishops go onto a Tableau card in the same location. Queens don't have any Agents besides themselves.

Tableau Ops
Activates either your Eastern or Western tableau, where each card can do one of its depicted Op. Each Tableau can be activated once per turn. Ops do a variety of things, Commerce gains you money, Repress weakens Empires and gains you money, Siege weakens Empires, Tax attacks players concessions, Execute removes cards. Empire cards have the special March Op where you pay Knights to attack neighbouring Empires to possibly win them over.

Claim Victory
Among the bottom 14 cards of each deck are 2 Comet cards. Comet cards can be bought like regular cards but are discarded immediately (which gets around the hand-size limit). Buying one allows you to activate one of four Victory conditions forever. These vary from having the most Empire cards, to having the most Republics and Law Prestige, having the most Concessions and Discovery Prestige, and having the most Prestige in the Dominant Religion. I believe there's four or such terms I have not introduced. It's a long way off. Anyway, the important thing is it costs an action to take victory. If someone spends their two actions becoming eligible, you better spend your time tearing them down!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

OK, I'll get this running later today. But first, I'll post a bit more of stuff I glossed over or missed out in the last tutorial. First off, Empire cards

Empire Cards are the same as normal tableau cards, but they're on their sides. They can provide Prestige, they all provide a Concession as an Agent, and they all have the Campaign Op. These all start in an Empire Stack and can be added to your Tableau (or taken from someone else's...) in a few ways. When you do so, you can place their Agent on an appropriate boarder. The King is grateful to you for putting him on the throne, and lets you take some tax. Kings matter for the Imperial victory

Empire cards are double-sided. They enter your tableau on the King side (with the Crown icon) but you can flip your own Empires to the Republic side. You can do so by a Straw Man attack on your own Empire. I think the rationale is that Monarchy's the more stable form of government, but Republics require some local knowledge to establish. Republics also provide an Agent, which you may place when flipping them. They can also provide Prestige, which may be unrelated to what's on offer on the King side. I'll post an Imgur gallery of them all in the OP. They have lost the Campaign Op, but have gained the Trade Op instead - some also have the Vote Op. I'll get to what those all mean later. Republics matter for the Renaissance Victory

Repression
Frequently you can displace a unit from the map - if you gain a Concession, why not pay 1 Florin to kick out a competitor? Why not replace those lazy Rooks in your cities with dynamic Knights? If the Empire is in the stack, those pieces simply go back to the pool, but if they are in someone's tableau, they know who to complain to. Any displaced units instead go onto that Empire card, and make more vulnerable to certain One Shots.

One Shots
Coronation

The One-Shot of Queens. A very simple way of gaining an Empire - take your pick of the listed Empires, and place it with the Queen in your tableau. The Empire must still be in the Empire Stack (ie, not in any player's tableau), so you cannot Marry away another player's King, or Straw Man Marry into a Republic, which makes a lot of sense.
They still exist as two cards, so both King and Queen may activate their Ops, but the Queen is now Dependent on the King - lose his card, you also lose hers. It doesn't go the other way.
You can chose not to activate this One Shot and turn the Queen into an Old Maid. Instead of placing her in a tableau, she's tucked safely behind your player card with her Prestige visible. Useful for locking down those points.

Civil Wars

Conspiracy is an attack staged by discontent Nobles, a Peasant Revolt are from the lower orders. In both cases, the defenders are the Nobles on the Empire's map card. Attackers are any Noble Agents the card being played provides and any Pirates bordering the Empire. Conspiracies are bolstered by any Repressed Nobles, Peasant Revolts are strengthened by Repressed Concessions and Concesssions of your colour from the boarders. Battle rules are simple, but I'll get to them later.

Holy Wars

These three are the same, and only differ in colour (ie, religion). Defenders are any Nobles of the wrong religion in that Empire. Attackers are Nobles of the right religion in that Empire, Pirates of the right religion bordering the Empire, and Knights of the right religion from neighbouring Empires (in this game, diagonal connections are valid. The Holy Roman Empire neighbours the Ottomans). There needs to be at least one Heretic in the Empire to trigger this One Shot. If successful, as well as gaining or flipping that Empire's tableau card, you also flip the map card to it's Theocracy side.

Theocracies matter for Religious Victory. Some Holy Wars can target Empires which cannot support that type of Theocracy - you can Crusade into England, whose Theocratic side is Reformation. In those cases, just keep it at, or flip it to, it's non-Theocratic Medieval side. An interestingly fiddly rule is the Conspiracy Civil War can also undo a Theocracy. Peasants love religion, you see.

Battles
The player who played the card gets to make all these decisions. An attacker removes one defender, but also gets removed itself. Keep doing this until you run out of one or the other. If you have at least one attacker alive when it's over, the Battle was won and you claim that Empire card. Any attacking pieces that were not on the board are placed onto the Empire or its boarders until it is saturated, at which point they become Repressed. You may also Liberate repressed units which did not take place in the Battle by placing them on the map. Otherwise, they remain Repressed. Pieces that were already on the board (such as Pirates or Knights from other Empires) do not move.

Trade Shift.

Move the Busted Emporium cover from the named Emporium to the presently non-Busted Emporium. That is now where the Trade Route starts. The now-uncovered Emporium is also a city, and can take Nobles. The now-covered Emporium is now bust, and any Nobles there are Repressed. This particular one requires one point of Discovery Prestige, as the Spice Islands are hard to get to.

Apostasy

Fun Expansion content this one: When activated, all players check both their tableaus (east and west) for the listed Religious Prestiges. If they have at least one of both in either tableau, they discard every card with those Presitges for no compensation.

Note on Cities
The depicted unit, either a Knight or a Rook, only matters for raising Levies. When placing a Noble in any other way, it is player's choice what goes where.

Ops

Again, when activating a tableau, each card in that tableau may do one of its listed ops. Some of these care about the Location of the activated card and some do not.

Inquistor

Untied to location It moves a Bishop of the matching colour around tableaux. Bishops can either hop one card along the tableau they're in, or they may move to any card of the same location as the card they're currently on. Bishops are annoying killjoys and Silence all Ops on that Card except Inquisitor. But religion is the opiate of the masses, and so when a Bishop moves onto an Empire card, you can remove one Repressed piece back to the pool. Finally, Bishops loving hate each other - move a Bishop onto a card with another Bishop, regardless of colour, and they will instantly kill one another.

Trade

Untied to location. Take a florin from the depicted Market row.

Vote

Untied to location. Cause a vote on any Empire in the matching sphere (ie, East or West). If you have the most Concessions on the boarder of that Empire, gain it (or flip it to a Republic). You can place Concessions on non-sea route boarders - they wont make you rich, but they may let you win elections.

Tax

Tied to location. Pick a Concession bordering that location. the owning player must either pay a florin to China or it becomes Repressed.

Repress

Tied to location. Pick one of the depicted units in that Empire and Repress it. Take one florin from China.

Behead

Tied to location. Pick a tableau card that shares the location of the card activating this Op and discard it. If you discard an Empire card this way, then your card was an Assassin and is also discarded.

Siege

Tied to location. Remove a Noble from that Empire.

Corsair

Tied to location. Pick a Pirate that's both of the depicted religion and bordering the Empire of the Activating card. Move to to a neighbouring sea-boarder. If the Pirate lands on a Concession, the Concession is removed. If it lands on another Pirate, they're both removed. It's possible to move a Pirate away from the Empire it Corsaired from.

Campaign

The Op of Kings! Attack with Knights into neighbouring Empires. Pay 1 florin per Knight used and start a Battle using the same rules as Civil and Holy Wars. If you were successful, the conquering King becomes the Suzerain and the Conquered Empire becomes their Vassal. This is represented by the Vassal being placed under the Suzerain. Vassal's can still campaign, but not against their Suzerain. If a Vassal conquers an Empire, the conquered Empire becomes a Vassal to the first Vassal's Suzerain. If a Suzerain is discarded, all of its Vassals go back to the Empire Stack A successful Straw Man against a Vassal will create a Republic, however continued Campaigns against a Vassal will not cause it to become a Republic.

A final note about Location

Some cards have as their location just "The East" or "The West". This means they can perform their One Shot and Ops anywhere in that sphere. However, it also means they can be targeted by any Op or Priest that targets any Empire in that sphere.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I noticed that I still hadn't discussed how to win. I've updated the OP with a list of Victories and I'm just hoping the symbolism of Prestiges is clear enough for people to figure out - Religious symbols are Prestige for that religion, the scroll saying Law is Law Prestige, the ship is Discovery Prestige. There is also a marble statue, which is Patron Prestige. That comes into play if both decks are empty and no one has claimed a Victory by other means, and the person with the most Patron Prestige wins. If that's tied, it's the richest person who tied. No second tie-break.
And I should say, we're playing with expansion and promo stuff, which has a lot of special-power cards. The ones that I've seen appear self-explanatory.

Just to show off a nifty feature this mod has: no need to run off to Random.org! It has a page that randomizes both banking house and seating order.

Order is SoftNumber as the Fugger bank (orange), then Admanb as the Medicis (yellow), next is Gutter Owl as the Coeur bank (blue) and finally CthulhuDreams as Marchionni (green). CD might be interested to know, his house is the only one explicitly involved in the slave trade!

Each player starts with 3 florins, plus florins equal to the number of players who go before them. I'm not convinced how much first player advantage there is, but that's the balancing device.

Turn 0 Europe looks like this. Constantinople has 1 Rook and 2 Knights, which is not clear at all.

And here is the market, which has a lot of Expansion stuff out there already.

Full size

I see a few Apostasies which are unlikely to worry anyone at this stage of the game, and two Torch one-shots. Besides making claiming the specified victory harder, Torches can actually de-activate that victory condition when played which to me is a truly obscene game design decision. There's a very early Trade Shift which wouldn't cut anyone out but would profit the Medicis. It'd be an early blow to the East's fortunes if played but who cares about them? I don't see any viable ways to take an early Empire by force, but there are a few ways to marry in. Theft of the Holy Crown, which may be my favourite story on all the cards here, though the milk soup one is also very good.

Softnum is up. As the market row doesn't refresh until your turn ends, I don't see any reason not to tell me both actions at once.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 13, 2018

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

And Fugger bank leaps from the very end of the Trade Routes to the beginning

Note the little tag on the Hungary map card? This mod has so many nice touches. Let's see what drops down.

Full size

It's a credible threat to Hungarian stability! It's pretty costly at the moment so SN's concession should be safe for a bit.
An odd thing I noticed is that only one of the ten cards in the market come from the base game. It's the Scottish Privateers, the only one whose lower-right number doesn't start w/ an "x". It's also the only one w/ a green dotted boarder, which I do not know why it has.
e: Admanb's up

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 13, 2018

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Which Knight dies?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

No they don't. Check the rules for Battle in the Glossary (and nowhere else, thanks Eklund), first bullet point
"Ruling Class and Pirates. These Tokens never move as a result of a battle"
Agents and Repressed tokens are placed into the conquered Empire, but visiting armies just go back home, which is why it matters as you can either weaken the Ottomans a little bit, or Byzantium entirely. Another thing is the Bishop Agent. You don't have to place them anywhere, but you didn't say eitherway. Valid locations are The Grand Mupti himself, or the Hungary Empire card.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I absolutely did the same thing when I went to the rulebook to check, I then flipped back up to Holy Wars to see if they made an exception, and then back down to Battle and saw that bullet point.

So Corvinius' Black Army failed to stop the Turks from overrunning christendom, but he landed on his feet. You've got to be adaptable in these times.

With the first Bishop out, I should talk about the Supreme Religion. The game starts with two Theocracies, the Catholic Papal States and the Islamic Mamluks, each balancing the other with their one Noble. With the newly Theocratic Hungary still empty and the Mamluk's un-reenforced, that hasn't yet changed.
And the Medici join the Fuggers at the fountainhead. Ad had the option to pay and suppress the Fugger concession instead, but chose not to. Probably a wise move as spending your last florin can be a big mistake.

This war has left half of the East completely undefended. I wouldn't worry about it, as their lucky position at the end of the Spice Road will soon see enough money running through to repopulate the area.

Full size

The most remarkable thing about this card in this market is that it's from the base game. You've got to admire those Greeks though, sending a single Rook against Byzantium.
Gutter Owl up

e: is everyone happy with counting the money on the cards? I can change the distance between coins, or just start writing in numbers in MSPaint.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 13, 2018

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Are you clicking through on the Market image? It links to the same image taken at full-size rather than 65%. I don't actually know if that works on the Awfulap, I thought I was being cute. I'm not proposing to take larger images of the Tabs and Hands because game-important info is visible at 65% and you can read all the fluff when they're in the market.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yep, that's all correct. In gaining Hungary, you may place a concession in a Hungarian boarder. West is free, but not on a trade route so can't earn money. East and South have a concession so you would have to pay 1 Florin to Repress it and put yours down.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fugger Tableau

And Christendom runs back! The Catholics are back and they bring with them the rule of law A democratic wind starts blowing in the east. We also see our first Repressed unit, which I'd say destabalizes Hungary but it can't get much worse.

I have to wonder what the time-scale of turns is meant to be. The Hungarian citizenry must be very confused.

Full Size

We see our first Vitruvian Man Agent banner. Men of genius who provide powerful abilities but aren't involved in worldly thingsl
CD up

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I just tried it and providing the link in text lets awful ap download a readable version. I'll be doing that from now on.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Are you placing the black Rook agent? You can put it into Grenada, pay to Repress the Knight in Toledo (I have no idea why you would want to), or not bother.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Are you placing the black Rook agent? You can put it into Grenada, pay to Repress the Knight in Toledo (I have no idea why you would want to), or not bother.

CD has gone busy on Discord and SN's champing at the bit so I'll leave this undecided for a bit as I don't see anyone attacking Portugal immediately. Weigh in whenever you can CD.

There is no Supreme Religion
Fugger Tableau
Medici Tableau
Coeur Tableau

Just as Hungary settles down for a minute, half of their trade ups and leaves. The Last Sigh also gives Marchionni a nice bit of flexibility in constructing his tableau for as long as that card's around.

I've given the pieces in Constantinople a splay to make it clearer what they have. A lot!

Full size

That completes a round and I'm pretty sure a lot of progress was made.
Softnum up.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 13, 2018

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I just did a quick click-through the cards and didn't spot one. There's one that sets it Novgorod, and 2 others that move it back to Timbuctu. And like, 3 or 4 for the Spice Islands, all needing the Discovery Prestige.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Or he can pay to repress the existing noble. I believe!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fugger Tableau
Medici Tableau
Coeur Tableau
Marchionni Tableau

So that's what hands look like. Now you know.

And the economic activity revivifies the East a little bit.

Full size

And the west sees its first little bit of economic activity. Some interesting cards have appeared or slid further into reach.
Admanb up.

e: forgot to splay the florins.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 14, 2018

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau
Coeur Tableau
Marchionni Tableau

The lovely Margret is no longer on the shelf, and apparently she's eligible to marry half of Europe.

The Mediterranean's the healthiest it's ever been.

Full size

The Western market continues to grow, and we see our first Trade Shift for the Spice Islands. Much like the Eastern routes, I do not think there's a way to reset it back to Byzantium. The Spice Road's long and inefficient!
GO up

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau
Marchionni Tableau

Whatever Algeria was called then is gaining in strength...

As is everywhere else. The entire south of Europe is fully saturated. Look at that!

Full size

The powerful plot has been subsumed, and the west continues to acucmulate Florins. Some of them may even make it to Germany one of these days.
CD up.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau Hand
Marchionni Tableau

Marchionni is pivoting to being an Ops guy. Look at that smug Engineer, you know that guy's smart.

I was going to not post this because it didn't effect the hand-state, but then I remembered the players holdings.

Full size

Sitti-I's time might have passed, but that's still an Islam Prestige you can hold on forever. Which would be nice if Islam was the Supreme Religion.
SN up.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Nunberg or Lubek?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau Hand
Marchionni Tableau Hand

The EU could trigger an Apostasy, but nobody's got more than one card in their Tableau. It could also deactivate Religious victory, but we've not seen a comet. Had a lot of money on it though!

I rooked up Lubek, let me know if you want it changed. I expect it makes little difference.

Full size

And we've got Star Chamber! One of the few cards whose referents I knew beforehand. Still proverbial in Britain for a brutal and unjust court.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It got to Portugal by my count: starts at 4, +2 for a trade fair, -1 for a trade fair, Hungary E, Hungary W, Aragon E, Aragon W, Portugal N. There's a bankruptcy variant w/out Trade Fairs getting two and giving one, it's just what's paid on and what concessions take out. Seems meaner.

Fugger Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau Hand
Marchionni Tableau Hand

I believe that Maggy can call for a vote in Aragon, which Medici would win, which would flip Aragon to a Republic, which would depose her to the discard pile. Very noble lady.

Fairly reasonable looking Europe. England, France and Germany have never seen a single florin.

Full size.

Papal elephant! The PT Barnum of the Papcy! When I first saw this game irl, I found this card by chance and was so delighted by it I waved it in the face of a friend.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau Hand
Marchionni Tableau Hand

This is the first time someone's fired Ops? I don't know what the big yellow arrow for - I believe this mod automates a lot of things, maybe even that. The little arrows to show the order. I just find MSpainting numerals funny.

Coeur's storming! Still no supreme religion as Islam and Catholicism are tied on Bishops.

e:

Full size.

Why make anyone scroll up?

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 16, 2018

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yours!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Ah shoot, a rule i missed.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

As for the the kill, i believe cd means fire the conspiracy one shot, which fails as a conspiracy but does kill a unit.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

OK, you can tax in the Ottoman Empire because the Khepts just killed a Noble, and I need to hear from GO if she wants to pay to keep that concession. I'd also like to hear what City got targeted in case she doesn't. Portugal is Saturated (all cities are full, and the Spice Islands Emporium is busted) and so you cannot tax but only Siege for next turn. Which is an element of the rule I had totally forgotten about, so apologies to all and thanks to GO for catching it. Again, name a city because it might matter for some reasons.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

You are taxing a concession, but the money goes to Levying troops. I guess when an Empire's saturated, the taxman can't bring himself to ask for money he has no clue for how to spend.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Since there was a bit of cross talk: Gutter Owl, will you pay a Florin to keep your concession on the East Ottoman boarder?-
The Ottoman empire isn't saturated as the Klept agent killed a defender in the conspiracy.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau Hand
Marchionni Tableau Hand

And the pivot to being an Ops guy has happened. Very technological, these Marchionnis.

The Ottomans spend it all in one place.

Full size.

Next up Softnum.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

You can't. Spice Islands need a Discover Prestige that's not on the card w/ the one shot.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Since SN was asking in the Discord, Here's a folder of all the cards. There's 150 total and only 60 in the game.

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau Hand
Marchionni Tableau Hand

A big strat in Paxes is "attack the leader". Sometimes though, you just attack who you can.

Marchionni loses its first and last concession, and we see our first Reformation unit that could maybe do some Reforming, if cards came up.

Full Size

Clearly inspired, here comes Luther. A bit far away from the Scots, but the HRE is certainly toppleable without them.

Admanb is up.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau Hand
Marchionni Tableau Hand

----

A little insurance for all the Bishops on the board.

Cleaned out Coffers.

Full size

I like how many cards are just "Some Kind of Pirate". I guess most don't leave their names to history.

GO's up.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau Hand
Marchionni Tableau Hand

----

Breaking out the big bucks. Money in Sierra Madra games is these crummy little bingo chips (for cost/weight/box-size considerations). I never had any issues with the Paxes but John Company had White, Blue, and Red chips for 1, 5, and 10 (as per little chart on the board) and you had to stay on top of changing up because there just weren't enough.

Full Size

Excitingly, there are 14 cards left in the Eastern deck. We've reach the point where it's possible for a comet to cross the market.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Trade takes a Florin from the cards on the market - do you have a preference?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Triskelli posted:

They’re actually White, Red, Blue for 1, 3, 10. It’s a modified base-3 system that’s supposed to be about as efficient as possible. I swapped them with my Clans of Caledonia coins anyway. :capitalism:

Huh! Either way it's definitely the only game where I've reached for a 1, and had the whole table assess what they could do to free one up.

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau Hand
Marchionni Tableau Hand

----

This is getting too long.

Some revenge, and a bit of bleeding

Full size

A comet was not top-decked.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

admanb posted:

- Buy Grand Hetman for net +1 florin.

You cannot. Handsize is a hard limit - if you've got twp, you just cannot buy a third.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau Hand
Marchionni Tableau Hand

----

Things are looking good for the Spice Islands.

And looking the same in Europe. See that Red Rook in the pool? This mod doesn't reset the Piracy layer when returned. Not so fancy after all!

Full size

And there goes the Star Chamber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'm going away for the weekend so don't expect any updates until Monday.

• Locked thread