Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I can’t imagine what this episode cost in licensing for all the excellent music choices. I loved every second of it.

The CW is co-owned by CBS and Warner Brothers, so it's probably mostly stuff from their catalogs. If you're gonna want to re-watch it I recommend buying a physical copy when it's available, I know a lot of the music for the early seasons of Supernatural got loving gutted when it moved to Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Shows with expensive or annoying to license songs usually get gutted for the home media release tbh

e: that said netflix has broadcast rights for Riverdale in several countries (it's how I watch it weekly) so it may be safe in some form due to that but :shrug: your best bet to hold onto the music something aired with is piracy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

esperterra posted:

Shows with expensive or annoying to license songs usually get gutted for the home media release tbh

I saw a thing recommending you buy old Supernatural DVDs instead of watching it on Netflix is why I mentioned it.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I'm glad Grant ran the numbers on what year the flashback took place in, but after "Game Lad" I'm pretty sure all the music that was obviously a decade out-of-date was totally on purpose. They knew it would gently caress with people.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm pretty sure all the music that was obviously a decade out-of-date was totally on purpose. They knew it would gently caress with people.

It was a 2018 pastiche of a 90s pastiche of 80s classic The Breakfast Club. I don’t know what’s so complicated about that.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Like... Why though? Just have it be the 90s.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I was hoping for a more clear 90s pastiche considering most of the parents are played by people who famously played teens in the 90s. The weird 80s/90s mashup was kinda weird-- but like I've already said the whole episode just felt weird to me tonally, anyway, as much as I did enjoy it.

Besides the show is already kind of out of time despite being set in the present. Having the 90s of Riverdale not be fully 90s is fine.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HitTheTargets posted:

Like... Why though? Just have it be the 90s.

Because it was obviously a Breakfast Club send-up? A bunch of misfits bonding in detention? They could have made it a Not Another Teen Movie send-up, but that's already a send-up, so it's redundant.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I'm just saying they could reference Breakfast Club without stealing it's dang soundtrack is all.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm just saying they could reference Breakfast Club without stealing it's dang soundtrack is all.

Why would you ever do that, though?

Having your 2018 flashback to 1992 be an explicit parody of movies from 1982, 1985, and 1987, complete with soundtracks, is amazing and I don’t know why anyone would ever want to change that.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i saw the breakfast club recently and it hasn't aged well. otherwise a clever idea. some of the main cast (betty and jug) have better acting range than others imo.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
What was so 90s about it? It felt pretty late 80s to me

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

early 90s was extremely late 80s

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

d0grent posted:

early 90s was extremely late 80s

Can I just say that the 80s were better than the 90s in every conceivable way.

Except maybe like Doom and Wing Commander.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
That was a good episode. But when teen dramas start doing episodes about the parents, it usually means they’re running out of ideas. Combined with this stupid game thing, I do wonder how long the show has left.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

Can I just say that the 80s were better than the 90s in every conceivable way.

Except maybe like Doom and Wing Commander.

you can say whatever wrong poo poo you want, it's 2018 and everywhere is just hell anyway

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

idc much about the semantics of 80s/90s/early 90s

I just wanted more 90210 and less Breakfast Club.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Jingle Jangle Jughead playing DND is boring as gently caress. Give us more Archie cage fights.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

^burtle posted:

Jingle Jangle Jughead playing DND is boring as gently caress. Give us more Archie cage fights.

I was gonna say the jail stuff has been comparatively predictable... But then a firebrand happened.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Riverdale is getting fuckin real.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

That episode started off pretty bad, but ramped up and got awesome real quick.

The G&G stuff is still rough and it'd be hard to see it getting any better.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
This show is a beautiful fever dream.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I am Jughead and this show is Gryphons & Gargoyles.

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is the Gargoyle King.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Fartington Butts posted:

That episode started off pretty bad, but ramped up and got awesome real quick.

The G&G stuff is still rough and it'd be hard to see it getting any better.

I don’t love this G&G stuff. I’d rather it was just a super dark/camp teen drama. Leave the supernatural stuff to Sabrina.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

My burning Riverdale question is thus: when tf are we gonna get Ronnie hooking up with Reggie and Betty hooking up with Veronica (e: i wish ugh) Archie. We've had three seasons of Veronica and Archie and I demand my classic Archie love triangle gdi!!

e: I like the G&G stuff more now that it's p overtly connected to seemingly everything else going on. If they tie it around to the Farm as well I can see it working out well.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Betty and Veronica vowed they'd never have boy drama between them after they made out at the beginning of season one. But yes, I'd do unspeakable things to get an Archie/Betty relationship.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shneak posted:

Betty and Veronica vowed they'd never have boy drama between them after they made out at the beginning of season one. But yes, I'd do unspeakable things to get an Archie/Betty relationship.

And teenage girls have never gone back on that kind of promise before?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

After watching each new episode of this show, it just feels like I've hallucinated it all in a fever.

Teenaged Shawshank fight club, Dungeon and Dragons town-controlling cabal? I'd love to just sit in on the writer's room. The amount of times they've alluded to a plot and just dropped it makes me feel like absolutely nothing gets cut and it's just that meme of Charlie from Always Sunny on his red string board, only there's like eight Charlies and the board is covered with pictures of KJ Apa shirtless.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Like, I don't hate Jughead or Bughead or w/e nearly as much as I used to, but I don't come to trashy teen dramas for monogomous relationships between sexy teens gdi I'm here for the drama. Especially in a show based on Archie!!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Funny this is coming up. At the beginning of the season I said the same thing to my wife. Remember what Kevin said in the premier of the show ‘ArchIe and Betty are end game.’ This show will 100% have Archie and Betty end up together. It’s from the same producers of The Vampire Diaries.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel like the show was not ready for how insanely popular Bughead became lmao, I would not be surprised if they are endgame even whenever we do get an inevitable Archie/Betty storyline. She'll almost def end up with Jug in the end I bet.

Shame b/c Betty was always best grill for Archie in the comics imho

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The writers will literally get death threats from insane teenage girls if they ever break up Bughead long-term.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

esperterra posted:

I feel like the show was not ready for how insanely popular Bughead became lmao, I would not be surprised if they are endgame even whenever we do get an inevitable Archie/Betty storyline. She'll almost def end up with Jug in the end I bet.

Shame b/c Betty was always best grill for Archie in the comics imho

Betty might be the best girl for Archie, but Archie isn't the best boy for her.

Or anyone really.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Archie's a big ol dope and I respect that

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Shneak posted:

The writers will literally get death threats from insane teenage girls if they ever break up Bughead long-term.

Getting death threats is in the job description for working in teen television. Also, Archie should end up alone.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

esperterra posted:

Like, I don't hate Jughead or Bughead or w/e nearly as much as I used to, but I don't come to trashy teen dramas for monogomous relationships between sexy teens gdi I'm here for the drama. Especially in a show based on Archie!!

Ugh, exactly. They’re far too happy together. If Bughead is end game, then fair enough, however in the mean time they need to give them some sort of drama. Betty and Archie need to get together because it’d be TERRIBLE and that would be perfect for a teen drama.

This show does seem to love cosy couples though. Even Cheryl is boring when she’s in love.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Betty might be the best girl for Archie, but Archie isn't the best boy for her.

Or anyone really.

yeah but have you seen his abs?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Betty and Jughead will break up when their actors break up so all the drama crosses over

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

yeah but have you seen his abs?

We could all recognize those abs anywhere.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Betty and Jughead will break up when their actors break up so all the drama crosses over

Wait are they dating in real life? That is 100% going to result in an on screen break up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Wait are they dating in real life? That is 100% going to result in an on screen break up.

Ronnie and Reggie's actors are currently dating, too.