Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Welcome to Mafia Gear Solid Mafia 2: V, a mafia game for 18 players with flavour from MGSV: The Phantom Pain, the best and worst game in history.

Mafia?!
Mafia is a game where an uninformed majority (the town) try and find the faction of informed killers (the mafia, or scum). It's about reading people, gauging reactions and manipulating them to your team's advantage.

This is a role heavy game, in that many players will have more things to do than just post and vote. In this game, some of you will just be voting. Having said that, posting is the most important part of any game. Use actions to help your game, but be warned, relying solely on night actions will hurt your team.

Metal Gear?!
The brainchild of Hideo Kojima, each of the five MGS games sees you take on the role of Snake, a super-skilled soldier on a mission to save the world from a robotic nuclear threat.

If you want to know about the Metal Gear background, go here and spend a week.

The Phantom Pain
The last game and ‘missing link’ in the story, TPP eschewed the linear setup of previous MGS games in favour of an open-world approach.

TPP is the best game in history because of its incredible gameplay, multitude of options available to complete missions and skilful use of dramatic tension.

TPP is also the worst game in history because it’s unfinished, the story doesn’t make sense and because it can get kind of repetitive in parts.

To that end, the best and most interesting parts of TPP don’t involve Big Boss kicking rear end in the field. The core of TPP is the coming together of people from all backgrounds and skill levels to forge Diamond Dogs, an entity which is greater than the sum of its parts.

In this game you will take on the role of members of Diamond Dogs. You will be either working with Big Boss to fulfil his dream, or infiltrating from the outside to complete a mission for Cipher.

Should I play?
MGS is a fun franchise and this game will be too. To that end, if you’re a player who hates fun, this probably isn’t the game for you!

There are many parts of TPP that are goofy as hell and I’m going to try and capture some of that with in-game happenings.

If you want some idea of what you’re getting yourself into, read the previous Mafia Gear Solid game. The setup for this game is a lot more direct action, a lot less “having to PM an action to the mod’s alt to kill Psycho Mantis.”

Discord
There will be some aspects of the game taking place in Discord. It’s not a thing I’ve mastered so bear with me. If you don't have access to Discord, please let me know.

Participation
If you aren’t able to participate for whatever reason, let me know and I will try and arrange a replacement.

Below 10 posts per day is generally considered ‘lurking’ in the community. I don’t have a hard and fast rule to give you here, but be warned - Mother Base has policies for dealing with slackers.

:siren:Rules:siren:
  • Days are at least 24 hours long, starting and ending around 12PM ADST (9pm US Eastern). If I resolve actions quickly enough I'll open up the thread early.
  • Don’t intentionally post between hammer and flip unless it's a great post in which case do it.
  • Deadposting is okay as long as you don’t do it too much and it’s a good post.
  • Votes will be majority of players to hammer (days can end in a no-vote).
  • Although Diamond Dogs may be considered cult-like, this is not a cult game.
  • Mother Base takes in soldiers of all ranks, so not everyone is going to have an S++ role.
  • Non-town players may have been given fake flavour.
  • No editing posts. Make a clarification in a new post.
  • Don’t directly quote mod PMs. If you have any questions throughout the game, PM me.
  • Have fun, and
    :justpost:

Mafia Role FAQ: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Roles

Sample Town Wincon

quote:

You are Diamond Dogs-aligned, and win when there are no longer any threats to your faction.

A note on action results
If you use a night action, you may see that your action succeeded or failed.
An "action successful" result means that you weren't impeded, or that there wasn't another factor stopping you. It does not guarantee that your action had an effect on the target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

1. Amoeba102
  2. Anidav
  3. Anomalous Amalgam
  4. Bifauxnen
  5. Caroline
  6. CubicalSucrose
  7. GeneX
  8. GulagDolls
  9. Hal Incandenza
  10. imgay
  11. Moatillata
  12. Monathin
  13. Retro Futurist
  14. Revolver Anidav
  15. Toalpaz
  16. Tommunist
  17. Venom Soag
  18. xiw
  19. Yami Fenrir

birdstrike fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 13, 2018

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
presign me

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

signing up but fuckin hell how many games are running or recruiting now, this is getting more out of hand than Liquid Ocelot

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Sign me up.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
loving hell.

Put me for replacement spot. If I die in a game want to upgrade to sign up.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Put me in. My dream is to literally be in 6 games at the same time.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Okay this'll be my first actual mafia game

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
In.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I shouldn't join 3 games at once.

But I'm not missing this.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

oh poo poo I haven't actually played this game, how am I gonna come up with a new gimmick to do instead of the alt possession

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the phantom clam

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This looks fairly ok :ocelot:

Revolver Anidav
Feb 12, 2016

"Diamond Dogs? They're pretty good...

But they've got nothing on my doooooooooooooooog...."

Bifauxnen posted:

signing up but fuckin hell how many games are running or recruiting now, this is getting more out of hand than Liquid Ocelot

You rang?

Wait, poo poo, time paradox

(in)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ugh

Revolver Anidav
Feb 12, 2016

Something the matter, brrrrrrrother?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
In, i'll even not poo poo post

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

it's not me this time I swear

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

2876... is birdstrike right?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'll be busy-ish for most of next week but maybe I'll live longer than, like, "not at all" in this one

so in

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

2876... is birdstrike right?

Half of the playerbase is Birdstrike.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm pretty sure there was a mafia game where I got lynched because a bunch of people thought I said something but it was actually the parody account.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Tactical Sexpionage Tourism
kepty ou waitign huh?

I'm in

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hello it’s me. The guy who pees himself in the intro

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Hal Incandenza posted:

Hello it’s me. The guy who pees himself in the intro

but is the door open or closed?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

28766f69642a2930 posted:

but is the door open or closed?

I don't hate fun and I'm dumb enough to play another Mafia game.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
There are going to be so many loving Australians in this game.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Asiina posted:

There are going to be so many loving Australians in this game.

Canadians too, apparently

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

xiw posted:

Okay this'll be my first actual mafia game

Same, friend!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Same, friend!

[b##vote Hal[/b]

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
[It's just a box]

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Stocking up on anti freezing peptides like it's Y2K

Revolver Anidav
Feb 12, 2016

Moatillata posted:

[It's just a box]

*theme stinger*

Revolver Anidav
Feb 12, 2016

wolbachia

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Allow both normal and alt accpunts in as separate players, imo

Caroline
Aug 29, 2018

I am forced to look for clams like a bird. However, did you know that I am very good at looking for clams like a bird? I am even better at eating them.
Can I play too? :3:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
hmmmrh

hmmmmmhhrh

Boss, that’s a rare Afghan Pika. That NGO will pay good money for rescuing it.

Hmmmm.

Caroline posted:

Can I play too? :3:

You’re in.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I would like to observe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
[also - I’m not quite sure if this is a bit and/or whether Asii was planning on playing?]

• Locked thread