Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Just one, you need nearly $30k to own the pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Wait, is it almost 15k yen for both or just one?

I wish it was only 15k yen.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't get the attraction, neither of them are diecast.

Do they even have any gimmicks? Spring-loaded missiles or the like?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't get the attraction, neither of them are diecast.

Do they even have any gimmicks? Spring-loaded missiles or the like?

You can look under their skirts, but then you feel even more pathetic.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I was phone-posting when I looked at that tweet so I didn't really put 2 and 2 together.

It's life-size figurines. And the crunchy article confirms it's $14,890 dollars. For each.

That's loving insane. And I say this as someone who invests out-of-whack money on recording gear.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's a price point I would say is straight up irresponsible to try and charge people for, targeted directly at otaku with more money than self-control.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like I'm sure there's an anime-fandom equivalent term to a Bloozlawyer/Bloozdoctor but I kinda feel like "would buy a Rikka Takarada real-life figurine for near-15k dollars" is kind of setting up a specific benchmark here.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
Wow my eyes saw the "life-sized" part and my brain must have refused to accept it because I didn't actually process that until now.

At least the 5 digit price tag makes a little more sense to me now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, you can just get a Shattered Glass Optimus Prime for a hundo and it's the same thing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't want to know that there even are people who would by that. That is horrifying.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I don't want to know that there even are people who would by that. That is horrifying.

There are enough people who want to buy those statues that they're going to hold a raffle for the right to buy one.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The ten meter long Mia hug pillow was "only" $1,500.

If I lacked ethics, I'd have a hard time deciding whether to target audiophiles or otaku now...

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Ranzear posted:

The ten meter long Mia hug pillow was "only" $1,500.

If I lacked ethics, I'd have a hard time deciding whether to target audiophiles or otaku now...

Just brand some audiophile headphones with Super Sonico and boom.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Both! The super crystal headphones come with a mascot-tan version on them which doubles as a charging cradle.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cute omake manga series about the NGE guys.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh, I completely forgot about this. It's nice to see that it's getting translated.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/Kirari_star/status/1258264911831941121

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looks like we’re switching over to a new cast again, that’s fine. Do we have a start date for this series yet?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Twitter consensus seems to be that these new characters are based on Beast Wars transformers.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Super stoked, but I still kinda want an ova about akane having to face real life.

written by inio asano.

:getin:

he's never written an anime before (afaik), it could be his big break!

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 8, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still kind of curious if this will be connected to SSSS Gridman in some way though (at least in the same sense that the previous series was technically a sequel to the original Gridman).

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Larryb posted:

Still kind of curious if this will be connected to SSSS Gridman in some way though (at least in the same sense that the previous series was technically a sequel to the original Gridman).

I'm like 100% sure that Gauma guy is an Assist Weapon. He gives me Dyna Dragon vibes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So for anyone that can read Japanese, does the article mention any story or character information?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

So for anyone that can read Japanese, does the article mention any story or character information?

It's way too low res to read much. The headline is "SSSS.Gridman Team reassembles, Director Amamiya Akira's newest work."

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 8, 2020

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Here's a more high-res picture at least, from the official twitter:

https://twitter.com/SSSS_PROJECT/status/1258675506540494850

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Here's a more high-res picture at least, from the official twitter:

https://twitter.com/SSSS_PROJECT/status/1258675506540494850

This tweet also has the cast:

Gauma: Daiki Hamano
Yomogi Asanaka: Junya Enoki
Yume Minami: Shion Wakayama
Koyomi Yamanaka: Yuuichirou Umehara
Chise Asukagawa: Chika Anzai

I really had to guess the readings.
-e-
Don't mind, I found the correct ones.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 8, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Twitter consensus seems to be that these new characters are based on Beast Wars transformers.
I think the red and black girl upfront is either Terrorsaur (he's red and white in that art but some of his toys gave him a red and black color scheme) or Inferno.

That's all I've got.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I now lament losing my Mega Inferno.

How much exposure did the original Beast Wars get in Japan? I know it had a bunch of spinoffs, but I really don't know how distinct the Hasbro lines were from the Tomy or Bandai stuff. O.G. Beast Wars doesn't seem to fit to me.

I'm now aware of Beast Wars Neo, though. Here's Magmatron, a three-part combiner and Megs-adjacent:

Not a lot else to work with from that set though. Seems safe to assume it's a mix of things if they're all references.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 8, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ranzear posted:

I now lament losing my Mega Inferno.

How much exposure did the original Beast Wars get in Japan? I know it had a bunch of spinoffs, but I really don't know how distinct the Hasbro lines were from the Tomy or Bandai stuff. O.G. Beast Wars doesn't seem to fit to me.

I'm now aware of Beast Wars Neo, though. Here's Magmatron, a three-part combiner and Megs-adjacent:

Not a lot else to work with from that set though. Seems safe to assume it's a mix of things if they're all references.

Didn’t Beast Wars get a 2D animated sequel of sorts in Japan? Not sure if it was any good though.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Not just animated but a manga too, like six different series of spinoffs. I was only barely aware of them.

As best I understand, Beast Machines was Hasbro trying to claw back some influence and control of the series, which is why it was poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

beast wars was pretty big in japan. the original tv series got a dub that was successful, it got a ton of spinoffs made in japan that exclusively aired there, it's very well loved. ironically, the changes made to the line to try and appeal to amercan fans (making the characters look more robotic) wound up losing the japanese fans, who liked the animalistic aspects of the characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtGVeosAth0

the op to beast wars ii is also kind of a bop

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the best part of the jp beast wars spinoffs are the space pirate crew who are also a combiner, but the girl in the crew thinks the combiner is ugly so she just leaves whenever they're about to combine, so they're just hopping around on one leg trying to be intimidating pirates

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Beast Wars II (or any of the Japan only spinoffs) any good? I think it’s been subbed at least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

Is Beast Wars II (or any of the Japan only spinoffs) any good? I think it’s been subbed at least.
Beast Wars II is... okay? It's pretty plotless for the first 25 episodes and the animation quality varies wildly because it was cranked out quickly because the CG cartoon was popular, but it's got the interesting angle of most of the cast including the series' Optimus being young and inexperienced, and some of the jokes are actually pretty funny. And it's kinda charming in a throwback way. You get cheap cash-in action shows these days, but not ones that are 50 episodes long and still sort of trying to tell a big story.

And the last dozen or so episodes are actually really good, the animation gets pretty good and it's clear they're trying to wrap up the story in a satisfying way.

You definitely have to be in the mood for a 50 episode long sci-fi action show with often pretty cheap animation aimed at boys age 7-12, though. It doesn't really do anything above and beyond that genre and demo.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Endorph posted:

also the best part of the jp beast wars spinoffs are the space pirate crew who are also a combiner, but the girl in the crew thinks the combiner is ugly so she just leaves whenever they're about to combine, so they're just hopping around on one leg trying to be intimidating pirates

That explains that one piece gag.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GodFish posted:

That explains that one piece gag.

It does, which kind of surprises me.

I've known about the Japanese Beast Wars sequels for years, but them having enough of a cultural impact to lead to a major gag in the best selling manga of all time is interesting to know.

(I suppose a multi-season show successful enough to get two original full length shows between seasons had to have some level of success.)

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Endorph posted:

I think the red and black girl upfront is either Terrorsaur (he's red and white in that art but some of his toys gave him a red and black color scheme) or Inferno.

That's all I've got.

Don't forget some of the design inspirations in SSSS were super deep cuts like Shattered Glass or convention exclusive characters. You're thinking guy in green must be Waspinator but, haha jokes on you, it's actually motherfuckin Retrax.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I know Retrax because a redeco of him was in the Beast Wars II anime.

That redeco's name was Powerhug. Which is probably the best transformers name ever.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
You forgot one important thing about Beast Wars 2: The Jointrons. Who are Weed Smoking Insect based Mexican Stereotypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I don't know why I thought you were kidding?

TFWiki.net posted:

The jovial Jointron (ジョイントロン Jointoron) brothers don't have time to siesta because they love to fiesta! Not even the horrors of war can dim the energetic spirits of these three caballeros, who never miss an opportunity to shake their maracas, don their sombreros and ay caramba these Meximals are just the worst.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Jointron

:psyduck: