Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think David Willis (Walky, Shortpacked, Dumbing of Age, etcetera) once pointed out the insanity of the transformers wiki and I refused to believe it until I went and took a look for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It rules, yeah.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The jointrons are such over the top stereotypes that even 1990s Japan started to downplay them in secondary material and remove the mexican stereotype element basically as soon as the show finished airing. That's impressive.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Shere posted:

I don't know why I thought you were kidding?

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Jointron

:psyduck:

Rule #1 of Transformers: No matter how outlandish it is, it probably happened. This is without getting into Kissplayers.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The most important question is: will this show also star lesbians?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm gonna say "maybe not" if just because I doubt Amemiya wants to do a retread of SSSS Gridman's themes but in reality who loving knows you sure couldn't have guessed any of SSSS Gridman's themes beyond "there's a school and a kaiju" from its first key image.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this time, the guys will kiss

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

this time, the guys will kiss

god, please

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

I'm gonna say "maybe not" if just because I doubt Amemiya wants to do a retread of SSSS Gridman's themes but in reality who loving knows you sure couldn't have guessed any of SSSS Gridman's themes beyond "there's a school and a kaiju" from its first key image.

Yeah, I'm really interested in what they're going to do. I paid zero attention to Gridman until like four episodes in when one of my friends said that I'd really like one of the characters (and it turns out yeah, I did really like her) because giant monsters fighting isn't really my thing, though I did watch a bunch of Ultraman growing up.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dynazenon bringing the BL themes to complement Gridman's yuri is only fair, IMO

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I for one am glad they're using a whole new cast. I loved the original but the ending was so tight and well-crafted it would be a disservice to it and the characters to drag it out. Theres a lot of computers in the world. Let Gridman go help the deal with them instead of spending all his time in Akane's laptop. In fact maybe they should not use the "computer people" angle at all since you can only use that kind of plot twist once.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wark Say posted:

I think David Willis (Walky, Shortpacked, Dumbing of Age, etcetera) once pointed out the insanity of the transformers wiki and I refused to believe it until I went and took a look for myself.
He had a sunday comic thing he would do that was like 3-4 panels and some weirdo obsessively made edits to them like 5 minutes after each week's upload to "actually write jokes" or something.

Willis must have seriously pissed off a TF Wiki dude.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think so, the Transformers Wiki generally has a pretty good sense of humor about itself. It's not super self serious about its subject matter like other fan Wikis.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
hello

I am going to fixer beam this thread back to life

just finished this the other day, i want to propose a bad theory

Sleeping girl was Rikka

Rikka is herself (reasons: she's claimed to be at the 'center' of everything a few different times, she kinda is at the center of every plot point, she's the most real character in the show)

akane is a friend of hers that died, or moved. The devastation in the city is rikka coming to terms with it. rikka blames akane at first but eventually forgives her (of whatever) or flips it on herself

the hand bag on the dresser at the end was the same one from the dream - but she never got to give it to rikka before she passed away (or moved or whatever)

the world is run down because rikka feels she's been left behind

Akane in most of the show is pretty shallow, her dialogue is contrived (not a knock, just anime dialogue) and mustache twirly for more than half of it. Pretty much every character is like this to an extent except rikka (by like this i just mean shallow anime people).

whether or not the gridman characters etc exist or if it was all a dream is up to interpretation. I'm fine with it all being a dream.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Interesting theory. I am sort of curious how (or even if) the upcoming third installment is going to address the matter (we still don’t know when that’s supposed to start yet do we?)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tabletops posted:

hello

I am going to fixer beam this thread back to life

just finished this the other day, i want to propose a bad theory

Sleeping girl was Rikka

Doesn't fit.

Rikka is the character who feels the most like a "normal person" by design, yes. She, Sho, and to a lesser extent Yuta were intentionally written to be "regular people" to contrast with the craziness of the Neon Genesis Junior High students and Gridman nonsense. Since Sho's a massive toku geek, Rikka's feels the most grounded, but the bonus episodes and background events clearly show her as just another person born into the world, not someone who has to be special, both through her interactions with others, and through fleshing out people like her mom and her classmates.

Meanwhile, Akane plays supervillain because, for her, this isn't her world. It's a game, a safe way to blow off stress. It's a place she has to leave, in the end, because being a god keeps her from properly being human. Rikka doesn't need the events of the show, because she's a normal, healthy human being, but Akane needs to be saved.

(The Matrix showing up in the real world is easiest to file as one of those classic "It's not a dream!" moments. We get further confirmation that it's a real world with the final bonus episode, where we check in with the Gridman Alliance again after the finale.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-Io4aHizWvQ

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It didn't show much but it's good to know that it's not dead.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

It didn't show much but it's good to know that it's not dead.

We still don’t have a release date yet do we? Or know what the plot is about for that matter?

Kaptain
Oct 5, 2014

Larryb posted:

We still don’t have a release date yet do we? Or know what the plot is about for that matter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpZpPaEmLI8

April 2021.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ugh. That CGI was not good. I can't say I'm as interested as I was before now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hope the same staff is working on this one.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

To be fair, it's not like Gridman's was much better.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering how the last season ended I’m kind of curious how/if this is going to have any connection with SSSS Gridman (or if Gridman himself will even appear in this). Do we know any actual story details yet?

Also apparently TakaraTomy is attached to this somehow:

https://twitter.com/SSSS_PROJECT/status/1335510541448540165

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 6, 2020

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thanks to Wark for the rebrand. Will update the OP probably whenever first episode airs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

From the Toku thread:

Trogglodyte posted:

SSSS.Dynazenon stuff finally came out today via a stage event that was also broadcast online. Lots of new information plus a PV.
Here's the PV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpZpPaEmLI8

And here's some of the new info, mainly new castmembers+VAs
Main crew, seems pretty clear from this image and the PV that Gauma is in fact the protagonist.

Villains? Assist Weapons?

Mundane supporting characters

Absolute all-star line-up of designers here. Creature designs from the likes of Gotou, Itano, and Taguchi (Yes, Ultraman Z's director Taguchi). Dynazenon himself was designed by Tsuyoshi Nonaka (Designer of the DaiZyuZin/The OG Megazord, bunch of suit designs for Kamen Rider including Kuuga's bike and Kabuto, and last year's Assist Weapons).

And have a couple images of Dynazenon, including the live-action suit they made for him and showed off at the event. Given the choice of designer, it's very blatant that Dynazenon is a transforming/combining robot, so we're definitely gonna get more Yuusha callbacks this season.

Oh, and finally: Tsuburaya Productions will be collaborating with Takara Tomy to produce a new toyline for Dynazenon. Unfortunately the DX toys are still Goodsmile.

If there’s anyone here that understands Japanese, were there any particularly interesting bits of info in the trailer?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 6, 2020

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

My only concern so far is Yume really seems to be Rikka 2.0 from what can be gleaned of her personality in her design and the trailer, and that would be kinda lame imo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dynazenon premieres April 2nd. I assume we still don’t have any actual story details yet?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Still nothing, but there's a whole month until it comes out, might be an interview or something between now and then.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

Dynazenon premieres April 2nd. I assume we still don’t have any actual story details yet?

I mean, to be fair, we didn't know the story details of the first one until somewhere around episode 6.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good point, we do have a sample of the series ED at least though:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fbUSnmE3tWc

I am sort of curious if (and if so, how) it’ll connect with the 2018 series though considering how that ended.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Never having seen the original Gridman, was SSSS.gridman turning out to have an interesting plot that wasn't just monsters fighting something new or was the old one like that too, if in a different way?

Droyer posted:

My only concern so far is Yume really seems to be Rikka 2.0 from what can be gleaned of her personality in her design and the trailer, and that would be kinda lame imo.

Yeah, it wouldn't be the same the second time. If they were going to just do that they might as well have stuck with the old cast.

Still, the last show was good enough I'll give this the benefit of doubt that the studio isn't just a one trick pony.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Did you ever see the American adaptation Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad?

In either case the first Gridman was just your average MOTW style toku show (basically Ultraman in cyberspace). It was ok but SSSS Gridman was a lot better in my opinion.

Someone has uploaded the entirely of the original show to YouTube if you’re ever curious (look up a channel called Gridman Alliance).

You can also watch it via TOKU and Amazon Prime though it requires a paid subscription (I believe Tsuburaya is slowly adding it subbed to their official YouTube channel as well). I warn you that the subs kind of suck though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 3, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if they are keeping quiet about every detail then it's probably just a first episode twist.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Diaclone Reboot, a japanese toyline, currently has a crossover with Gridman, and the story just finished. Had some cool art:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

New Dynazenon trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzZB6Z1YbSs

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If anyone here speaks Japanese, are there any interesting story bits in that trailer?

Show looks good though. I’m curious how/if it’s going to be connected to Gridman given how the last series ended.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

If anyone here speaks Japanese, are there any interesting story bits in that trailer?

Show looks good though. I’m curious how/if it’s going to be connected to Gridman given how the last series ended.

Not really. It's just character introductions and a lot of generic shounen hype lines about reasons for fighting, etc, etc. The song in the end is just "Keeping you in my heart..."

Edit: See below.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 28, 2021

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

-Gauma asks for Dynazenon's name and says it's nice.
-Everybody introduces themselves.
-Gauma: Y'all came here, right? It all starts from now!
-Yomogi: There is a reason why you fight, Gauma. I want to know, now!
-Gauma: Yomogi, there are three reasons in this world to protect something as a person.
-Girl: There are some things (slimy? Can't make it out) that can't be protected.
If you only follow the rules, there might be things you can't protect. (Courtesy of Indiana_Krom)
-Yomogi: I'll protect what I have!
-Gaura: Show it to me if you can!
-Yomogi: Arggh!
-Gauma: Yomogi!
-Girl singing: You carried great wings in your heart.
It's a choir song: Shounen no Hi wa ima
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkltGinNbDU

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Lurking Haro posted:

-Girl: There are some things (slimy? Can't make it out) that can't be protected.
More like "If you only follow the rules, there are things you might not be able to protect.".

I only know enough Japanese to not be totally lost watching an episode of say One Piece without subtitles for example, so take this with a grain of salt.

I could probably make some snarky joke about what you are normally watching when you mistake the Japanese word for slimy/wet "nuru" over the borrowed English word "rule". But the Japanese pronunciation of R, L and N is probably the most likely to throw off English speaking listeners. ;)

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 28, 2021