Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If it follows the pattern of the original show (and it's Americian counterpart for that matter), by the end Alexis will most likely turn on Akane so he can take over as the final boss. Question is, how will she react when her toys are invariably taken away from her (I'm still kind of hoping that there's more to her than "insane sociopath" but then again it could also potentially be interesting if it turned out she really was that depraved and wasn't being manipulated at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Oh my god she's a terrible webnovel protagonist.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Max is right, it is painful watching these two.

Looks like the gang needs to download more RAM onto Junk.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 27, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, we got it confirmed that Akane and Rikka were, at minimum, friends for some time before things started going down. Gives the credits some context, at least.

Also, we had our first double kaiju battle and an explanation for why the heroes don't just blow everything up with all the upgrades at once.

Good times.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
No good times! Terrible times! They promised me they were all gonna go at once and become the biggest gridboy and then they didn't! :( I was so hype even though it felt early.

Anyway, this is just the right kind of silly love drama to enjoy with big kaiju fights.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

In any case, I'm sure Rikka has a bright future ahead of her working in tech support.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Interesting that Gridman has apparently lost his memory as well and nice to see it get confirmed that Akane and Rikka are sort of friends (or were at one point anyway).

It's kind of a pity this is only 12 episodes as this has been really good so far. But depending on how all this ultimately ends maybe we could get a Season 2 eventually.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Frankly, I'd be just fine with a 12 episode show that's good throughout and ends well.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
Man, the support-team were a treat this episode. From genuine support to goofy antics to 'I ain't here to stalk the girls, I'm here to stalk the food'. Even Gridman himself got in on it with attempts at cheering people on without knowing what was really going on. Also, Gorilla-mode has a kicking finisher. I didn't see that one coming.

As for the guest characters. it's funny. At first I thought that the youtube boys were Kaiju created for the purposes of investigation, hence Rika's 'wait, who?' reaction when her friends were all over said group and acted like they'd been having contact for ages. It's not as if Akane hasn't got experience at making human-scale entities, after all.

Speaking of which, turns out that giving Kaiju a brain was a mistake. Should have installed the loyalty-upgrade.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

Frankly, I'd be just fine with a 12 episode show that's good throughout and ends well.
:omarcomin:

I think keeping things lean and mean would work best with the setup so far.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Gridman is a very good boy who just wants his friends to succeed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wark Say posted:

:omarcomin:

I think keeping things lean and mean would work best with the setup so far.

Fair, mostly I just want to see more of this but as long as it stays this consistently good the whole way through I think they can easily wrap this up decently in 8 more episodes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah I feel like that's what we're going for. Show feels to me like it's trying really hard to be tight and pretty succinct.

Also Rikka is so much more interesting to watch than Yuta is that it's kind of unfair. If Yuta weren't the one transforming into a giant not-robot instead of Rikka I'd be calling Rikka the main character, easy

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://barnnn.blogspot.com/2018/10/ssssgridman-voice-drama-episode-44.html

Would like this over a video, but this is some post-episode follow-up for Rikka. She feels awful about the three guys that died and didn't want to bring it up with her friends. Also, she has an older brother.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

That's a pretty important audio drama episode I feel

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Also I guess that Aoi Yuuki tweet was right and Borr is a guy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Nice to see Yuta finally express an emotion. Also, I can't believe "turn it off and on again" is a viable problem-solver now!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Always has been tbh

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
There's literally no problem that cannot be solved by turning it off and on again, and then kicking it a little.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

maninthesuit posted:

Speaking of which, turns out that giving Kaiju a brain was a mistake. Should have installed the loyalty-upgrade.

If anything he's too loyal, and thus, jealous of any other kaijus.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While Akane's great I kind of wish Alexis would actually do something at some point. So far all he seems to do is sit back and let Akane run the show (it doesn't even really seem like he's manipulating her all that much, they seem more like partners if anything), hopefully that'll change as the series goes on as honestly I'm not even sure what his plan is right now.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah I feel like that's what we're going for. Show feels to me like it's trying really hard to be tight and pretty succinct.

Also Rikka is so much more interesting to watch than Yuta is that it's kind of unfair. If Yuta weren't the one transforming into a giant not-robot instead of Rikka I'd be calling Rikka the main character, easy
I think that her VA also contributes to this overall feel a great deal. Yume Miyamoto has done an excellent job of making Rikka feel like an actual teen with her work, like that one scene with her 2 friends in the first episode.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

While Akane's great I kind of wish Alexis would actually do something at some point. So far all he seems to do is sit back and let Akane run the show (it doesn't even really seem like he's manipulating her all that much, they seem more like partners if anything), hopefully that'll change as the series goes on as honestly I'm not even sure what his plan is right now.
His partner is a teen who appears to have a giant chip in her shoulder. Maybe he's like "Jaaackpooot" :dance: as far as he's concerned.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

His partner is a teen who appears to have a giant chip in her shoulder. Maybe he's like "Jaaackpooot" :dance: as far as he's concerned.

He's placing his hopes in her unprecedented, as yet undefined injustice.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

why does the show keep focusing on Akane's feet

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gee let me think

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, idle thought: Before this ep I wasn't sure if the ED was referring to anything that had ever happened or if it was just supposed to be Akane having a weirdo stalker fantasy about Rikka (or just the ED director putting the cute girls in front of the camera), but now that this ep established that they do in fact know each other, I'm going to notice that they're wearing different uniforms in the ED and guess that them hanging out is a specific thing that actually happened while they were in middle school.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

Fetish or something about her character.
It appears as if Akane isn't really part of the class. The class photo in the OP doesn't feature her, at least not how she looks now.
Everything is also hinting at the Gridman Alliance having to save her.
The lyrics when the Gridman blows the windows up are "I've come to save you from boredom".
So Akane might have been a hikikomori or physically frail girl.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

Questions like these don't help the Gridman Alliance!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

There's a non-zero chance that he created this world. Akane may be the most active antagonist, but she's active within his context.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Apparently the guy who commented on Akane's avatar was wrong and it wasn't Alien Baltan. Way to nerd gatekeeper via murder, Akane :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'd prefer something I like to end when it's intended to instead of becoming a soulless zombie, but I'd be happy if there's more after. It sort of depends on how they decide to wrap things up. If everything is in the Matrix (which would sort of fit with how the damage wasn't physical in the old series) and that gets unplugged, then there's not much more to be seen.

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

:iiam:

Wark Say posted:

Alexis has a fetish for being stomped on by a cute girl. :ms:

Lurking Haro posted:

Fetish or something about her character.
It appears as if Akane isn't really part of the class. The class photo in the OP doesn't feature her, at least not how she looks now.
Everything is also hinting at the Gridman Alliance having to save her.
The lyrics when the Gridman blows the windows up are "I've come to save you from boredom".
So Akane might have been a hikikomori or physically frail girl.

The first one fits more with the idea of her getting revenge for petty slights via murder and flipping out on Anti when he fails at it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Since the director already snuck his yuri novella characters in just for fun, couldn't we also just figure the ending is just somewhat meaningless shipbait too?

Good episode. Avoided the episode 4 curse even. Anti/Viral parallels continue at an accelerated pace.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Apparently the guy who commented on Akane's avatar was wrong and it wasn't Alien Baltan. Way to nerd gatekeeper via murder, Akane :v:

I think its actually something from Ultraman.

Also I guess they are using the audiodrama to give more characterization and information because 12 episodes is too short. Cause there's so much important information and stuff overall in those audiodramas

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

boredsatellite posted:

I think its actually something from Ultraman.
That's correct.

This is Alien Reguran.

This is Alien Baltan.

It's an incredibly petty thing to murder over (though that's sort of the idea, even if it was also the interruptions of her questioning and invasion of her personal space that pushed her over), but Akane's a serious kaiju fan.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 31, 2018

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Hogama posted:

This is Alien Baltan.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Good episode, the recurring theme of denial and disappointment was frustrating to watch but it all tied together so well

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Now there's a subtitled version for 4.4, if you like listening and reading at the same time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YynDhzyeGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The way Akane just noped out of there and practically started panicking in the elevator looked a lot like she has massive social anxiety problems. Which would go well with the theory that she's some shut-in/bullied kid/whatever trying to escape life in the Matrix or similar.