Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like, I know she has a very mercurial mood, but in the latest episode, I'm deeply in the "I want to know what's Akane's deal more than Yuuta/Gridman's" camp, because dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Like, I know she has a very mercurial mood, but in the latest episode, I'm deeply in the "I want to know what's Akane's deal more than Yuuta/Gridman's" camp, because dang.

I think pointing out that, to me, only Rikka and Akane feel like 'real' people right now lends to the virtual world idea. We only really see the day-to-day of these two so far.

They visited Yuta's apartment but didn't knock or go in, he just showed up after she finally called him. There was no actual confirmation toward him being retroactively dead or anything, which could be a fun reveal and explain his memory loss.

Utsumi is always just there too, Tyler Durden style, but that gets flimsier.

This show is turning into actually Akane vs Rikka, and Yuta is just a creation like Anti?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Ranzear posted:

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

so you'd agree that sometimes gay is just gay and we don't need to look for 29 reasons to dismiss it as 'yuribait'? okay

also no, I didn't deal with DitF and I feel healthier for it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Space Flower posted:

so you'd agree that sometimes gay is just gay and we don't need to look for 29 reasons to dismiss it as 'yuribait'? okay

I didn't dismiss anything but people digging for ways to inject that back into the show's narrative, because there's cooler poo poo going on.

If the ED turns out to be relevant, neat! Right now it doesn't fit into the actual show though.

Space Flower posted:

also no, I didn't deal with DitF and I feel healthier for it.

:same:

I've already described this show as an apology for DitF.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 29, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think episode 4 mostly cleared all doubts that the ED is very likely to be canon.

In other news: Are the audio drama episodes decent?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Despite memory fuckery being prevalent so far, that'd be a really lazy way to explain why they barely know each other now, unlike the level of interaction and tropes the ED suggests.

I saw that the audio drama has a lot of background information that the show is leaving out, and someone posted a subtitled #4. Will need to track down the prior I guess.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Here's 2.2...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcwMwpgqw9E

and 3.3...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZSNmaMPzCQ

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Bah, looks like 1.1 has been taken down at least three times. I guess the alternative is :filez:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://barnnn.blogspot.com/2018/10/ssssgridman-voice-drama-episode-11.html?m=1

This guy has translations for all of them.

Edit: I put a link to the translations in the OP, along with a bit of character updates. Might add in the Junior High crew and Anti.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 29, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

https://barnnn.blogspot.com/2018/10/ssssgridman-voice-drama-episode-11.html?m=1

This guy has translations for all of them.

Edit: I put a link to the translations in the OP, along with a bit of character updates. Might add in the Junior High crew and Anti.

quote:

Namiko: For someone from our class, it's gotta be... Akane, yeah?

Hass: Hear, hear! Super cute, but never around the boys. If I was a boy, I'mma nab her!

Takarada Rikka: Gah... I actually get where you're coming from...

Well then.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ranzear posted:

Despite memory fuckery being prevalent so far, that'd be a really lazy way to explain why they barely know each other now, unlike the level of interaction and tropes the ED suggests.

I saw that the audio drama has a lot of background information that the show is leaving out, and someone posted a subtitled #4. Will need to track down the prior I guess.

I don't really see why it would be lazy, given that we've already established very conclusively that something is messed up with the world from the word go that only certain people are able to perceive and Rikka has only gained the ability to perceive that recently. She wistfully gazes off at one of the giant kaiju statues-or-whatever-they-are that she couldn't see until Gridman appeared wistfully while wondering why things are the way they are.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/10/29/ssss-gridman-production-notes-3-4/

quote:

Since sort of indecent behind the scenes notes are a bit of a theme today, let me say that the plan was to get Rikka tangled up with the tentacles, but series director Amemiya vetoed the idea. Fujii tied up Gridman with them during the fight as payback.

Hmm, maybe the Gridman crew is a little bit too horny.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:agreed:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well, episode 4 was actually outsourced and it was the director who put the kibosh on the tentacle idea, so it's actually closer to the opposite :v:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 29, 2018

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, episode 4 was actually outsourced and it was the director who put the kibosh on the tentacle idea, so it's actually closer to the opposite :v:

Episode 3 was someone else too, which explains "the footjob scene". The kibosh probably included some version of "dude, seriously?"

I want to draw a pretty thick line between narrative subtext and fetish injection.

Akane covers most of her skin while in public but takes off her tights, puts on glasses, and is surrounded by trash behind closed doors? Narrative subtext relating to social anxiety.

Multisecond shot of removing tights and wiggling toes? Pushing it.

I hope they continue to stick to the former and still permit the horny aspects, but I think tentacles are right out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, the fetishy aspects haven't really interfered with the general enjoyment of the story so far at least. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rikkas butt and Akane's feet are important part of their characterization ok

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Rikkas buttthighs and Akane's feet are important part of their characterization ok

ftfy

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Me thinks y'all protest too much.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm glad the college boy youtubers are dead.

I also find it interesting that the people didn't come back into the world until the computer was powered on again. Is that computer handling the existence of anyone who went in it? Is this a Star Trek transporter situation where the computer actually destroys you and makes a duplicate?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Considering that you can make a phone call to people inside the computer, Junk is weird as hell.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Or anyone who is able to go into it is an entirely virtual entity, which would include Yuta.

Incidentally, FFX got brought up at lunch. That's a fun parallel.

Ninja edit: How does he have his phone and answer if he's the robot?

I'm starting to think Yuta really is just as much a construct by Rikka as any of Akane's.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

that would actually be a good twist.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ranzear posted:

I'm starting to think Yuta really is just as much a construct by Rikka as any of Akane's.

....poo poo that's loving good

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It actually feels logical, too, given that Anti proved that Akane is capable of making sapient beings.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

poo poo i'm kind of onboard with this theory

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Big reveal happens when the family comes in hauling the real Yuta from their trip

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Big reveal happens when the family comes in hauling the real Yuta from their trip

If this happens I will close my browser window in shock. It would explain so much.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If this is true there is roughly a zero percent chance that Yuta has ever actually existed before Akane dreamed him up, except maybe as a childhood imaginary friend.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

If this is true there is roughly a zero percent chance that Yuta has ever actually existed before Akane dreamed him up, except maybe as a childhood imaginary friend.

I dunno, as silly as it is to put too much stock in the Transformers inspiration, it'd make sense if there was a Yuta in this world, but that our Yuta is from somewhere else.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Then again, what if you flip it around? The humans are Rikka's creations, the kaiju are Akane's, and Yuta is a member of Team Gridman downloaded into a Rikka-construct's body? I mean, this is clearly an unnatural space, and it would fit with the Transformers reference.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I mean, Junk is literally belongs to Rikka’s family, she has more of a tie to it than anyone else.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Then again, what if you flip it around? The humans are Rikka's creations, the kaiju are Akane's, and Yuta is a member of Team Gridman downloaded into a Rikka-construct's body? I mean, this is clearly an unnatural space, and it would fit with the Transformers reference.

If that's the case, it's odd Rikka's mom is part of things.

Where Akane being from outside the system makes sense, since we see her home life is pretty much sitting in garbage making kaiju and her friendships have a certain distance, but Rikka's conversations with her mom so far just feel like, you know, she's talking to her mom. Her friends are close, she treats people like people, and she's unfamiliar with a lot of them. (If I remember right, she didn't know who Arcadia were when her friends brought them up).

Now, Yuta specifically, there's definitely something going on, and the world in general is weird, but Rikka making everyone except her and Akane doesn't sing for me.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
My prediction: before the show began, Akane confessed to Yuta. He rejected her for Rikka, and she killed him via Kaiju. Then she rebuilt a perfect version of him to be her matrix husbando. The reason he can merge with Gridman is because he's a fake, just like the creatures he fights.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I hate all your predictions but the show is good.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Y'know, Junk being positioned in Rikka's house also parallels Akane's computer...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tir McDohl posted:

Y'know, Junk being positioned in Rikka's house also parallels Akane's computer...

Y'know the more we think about Rikka and Akane as like dueling goddesses or something similar the more I like the idea...

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Why have an alter megatron and alter optimus prime analogues if they aren't going to end up punching themselves at some point in the series?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Rikka vs Akane theory is an interesting one, but what I also want to know is: What's the deal with the Neon Genesis Middle Schoolers? So drat curious, and it's just a 12-episode anime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

They aren't even middle schoolers, they even say they are pretty old so I do wonder what the hell they did during middle school during their time