Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gauma is gonna have the Dynaboat do a sweet jump off a huge rear end ramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The boat becomes the legs doesn't it? It will just transform into legs and run onto land.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Just like there is always an abandoned rock quarry, there is always some nearby body of water.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In practice, kaiju attacks are always in the city and the city is on a big old river.

Gridman did have that one fight in the field trip, but I think even that had a lake.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It had a lake and a river! They went rafting on it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Episode Idea: A Kaiju attacks and theres no nearby body of water, the team must find a way to fit a trailer hitch onto the Dyna-Car so they can haul Gauma into battle before it's too late!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They'll just have to find a fjord. There is always a fjord!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They might actually do an episode where they have to fight without Gauma present at all and the Kaiju Eugenicists take the opportunity to cause drama in the team without him.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, looks like Dynazenon is following in Gridman's legacy in another way.

Production finished already.

After a lot of shows plagued by disaster behind the scenes, it's nice to have at least one source of worries removed from the math on this one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I sort of hope they keep doing these short little series’ every so often, both have been really fun so far.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 29, 2021

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Yume just flat out having a personal plane from all this will always be low-key funny.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dyna Solider Striker reminds me a lot of Max Gridman, except it was much harder to control. Popeye-like arm proportions on a mecha are cool in theory, but there's a reason why they're not used much, especially when there's some plastic to move.

Like almost any genre of anime, there's going to be the inevitable beach/pool episode, and Dynazenon follows in Gridman's footsteps by being no exception. Also like Gridman, it worked in some important plot stuff. I got a laugh out of Gauma tailing the Eugenicists down the lazy river before falling in himself, and that bombshell about what might have happened with Kano that was dropped at the end there, along with the flashback scene, is starting to make some, but not all, of the pieces come together.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

....didn't we already know that Kano killed herself? Or were we just assuming that the suicide that got talked about in the first ep was hers?

Also - what was with that look Yume gave Chise when they were changing? It wasn't framed like fanservice or anything, it looked like she was looking at her arms, but I'm not sure what was there to draw Yume's attention.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Might be the full forearm glove she's wearing.

The churro scene was delightfully awkward.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Might be the full forearm glove she's wearing.

The only thing I can think of that makes even a modicum of sense is that maybe, given the suicide talk lately, Yume thinks Chise's hiding self-harm scars under there? Feels a little more visceral an idea than I'd entirely expect this show to go, but I struggle to think of any other possibilities.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Spiritus Nox posted:

The only thing I can think of that makes even a modicum of sense is that maybe, given the suicide talk lately, Yume thinks Chise's hiding self-harm scars under there? Feels a little more visceral an idea than I'd entirely expect this show to go, but I struggle to think of any other possibilities.

Could be a kaiju arm but I bet it’s what you said.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah it's definitely about her keeping her left arm covered even at the pool. Something is really off about Chise. There's no way the "she's framed as a hallucination except that all the dynazon gang interact with her" thing is unintentional.

For example, she repeats past Inamoto's "Wanna see something neat?"

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 30, 2021

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Sindai posted:

Yeah it's definitely about her keeping her left arm covered even at the pool. Something is really off about Chise. There's no way the "she's framed as a hallucination except that all the dynazon gang interact with her" thing is unintentional.

She also keeps calling him senpai, which is unusual for cousins.

-e-
No mention of Gauma's Chekhov's tattoo?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lurking Haro posted:

She also keeps calling him senpai, which is unusual for cousins.

Ohhh that's a good catch actually, I'd totally glazed over that

It's definitely weird what they're doing with Chise tho - as has obviously been pointed out, the way she keeps appearing out of nowhere is evocative of a character who's actually just a delusion or ghost or something, and yet even besides her interacting with at least everyone in the Dynazenon team at this point, there's the obvious matter that she seems to be at least real enough and material enough to make a giant robot pirouette through the air.

......I wonder if there's some significance with her not wanting to be the one piloting during a gattai, though.....

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 30, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The final subversion of the lifeguard gag made me bust a gut

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
I am glad they made sure to give us an episode focused on the most important plot element, pool safety

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sindai posted:

She also has the same eye colors as Yume's sister. Figure that's not a coincidence when Yume's eye color is different.

Also, Inamoto is looking a bit sinister with this episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, anybody know what the name of the English insert song in this episode was?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Turns out the swimguard was just Naoto shouting at his kohai.

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1388239381388054534

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So was the female voice telling Yomogi to ask out Yume a callback to another scene or does he just have a girl living in his head? Both options are equally plausible to me.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nephthys posted:

So was the female voice telling Yomogi to ask out Yume a callback to another scene or does he just have a girl living in his head? Both options are equally plausible to me.

It's his boss at work. She told him to just ask Yume out last episode.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

It's his boss at work. She told him to just ask Yume out last episode.

drat, I was looking forward to gender-flipped split personality shenanigans.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, anybody know what the name of the English insert song in this episode was?

It's not listed in the credits, so it's probably an original for the show. The OST will be released in mid june.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah it's probably this show's version of Human Love form SSSS Gridman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCCjeXGqqRM

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

It's not listed in the credits, so it's probably an original for the show. The OST will be released in mid june.

Ah, I wasn’t sure if it was a song they licensed for the show or something written explicitly for the show

Sherd Red
Mar 23, 2012
I AM A HORRIBLE PUBBIE WHO LIKES TO USE REDDIT MEMES PLEASE MOCK ME EVERY TIME I POST
So is Yume's sister in the video supposed to be wearing an autism awareness bracelet? That's what I'd assume but have no idea if Japan uses the puzzle piece or not.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
5.5 features the Eugenicists at Tokyo Beach Land! Onija really just tries his hardest, you know? Mujina gets her churro. :3:
https://streamable.com/xcuhng

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Could be a kaiju arm but I bet it’s what you said.

A theory i've seen online is that there's an Accepter under there. Not sure i believe it but it'd be fun.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Droyer posted:

A theory i've seen online is that there's an Accepter under there. Not sure i believe it but it'd be fun.

You mean like the thing Yuuta summoned Gridman with last time? Interesting idea but they'd presumably have to redesign it to something small enough to fit under a tight glove like that, which almost feels like it'd defeat the point.

Worth thinking about at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

You mean like the thing Yuuta summoned Gridman with last time? Interesting idea but they'd presumably have to redesign it to something small enough to fit under a tight glove like that, which almost feels like it'd defeat the point.

Worth thinking about at least.

Also if she was Gridman’s current host (or at least has a similar power like Anti did), why would she be hiding it?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Turns out the swimguard was just Naoto shouting at his kohai.

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1388239381388054534

thsi really makes the ending of the episode go down easier.

god, i love SSSS

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Something that's been sticking with me is that Yume's reaction to the footage was noting that her sister was smiling. I feel like it's presented for you to assume that Yume is discovering a nice, happy side to her sister... but that means the side she saw at home was not this. So Yume probably saw the depressed, sad, angry side. And while it's nice to have hope that her hobbies were a healthy escape from that... I think the gutpunch will come from the side that the music club saw was a forced one. The sister just forcing herself to smile so that nobody worries about her as her suicidal thoughts grew.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

MorningMoon posted:

Something that's been sticking with me is that Yume's reaction to the footage was noting that her sister was smiling. I feel like it's presented for you to assume that Yume is discovering a nice, happy side to her sister... but that means the side she saw at home was not this. So Yume probably saw the depressed, sad, angry side. And while it's nice to have hope that her hobbies were a healthy escape from that... I think the gutpunch will come from the side that the music club saw was a forced one. The sister just forcing herself to smile so that nobody worries about her as her suicidal thoughts grew.

The thing is, it also mirrors what she said to Yomogi about how they don't know each other that well so he's never seen her having fun. What does that say about Mei?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS