Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Akane would either kinda dig Dynazenon's dino mode, or find it an unholy abomination to all she holds dear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
New Gridman Universe art. Spoiler for the movie

https://twitter.com/Anime_byme_/status/1645105392979181568

Not gonna lie, after the movie, seeing stuff like this feels pretty cynical and a money grab

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We still have no release date for the English version yet I assume?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gridman Universe finally comes stateside on July 3

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2023/06/13/crunchyroll-reveals-anime-expo-2023-plans-including-over-20-panels-and-premieres

Should be noted though that this is a special premiere at AX and not an actual theater run yet

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 13, 2023

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Larryb posted:

Gridman Universe finally comes stateside on July 3

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2023/06/13/crunchyroll-reveals-anime-expo-2023-plans-including-over-20-panels-and-premieres

Should be noted though that this is a special premiere at AX and not an actual theater run yet

sort of tangential to this i just realized the trigger panel this year will be on day 1 relatively close to when the con opens up, that's going to be pain and suffering trying to secure spots for, gently caress

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well hopefully a more public release of the film won’t be too far behind now (do we know if this is getting a theatrical release over here or just going straight to streaming?)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FYI the Gridman movie is out and subbed now (just not officially)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's 360p and was literally ripped from United Airlines' in-flight entertainment

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well it’s better than nothing I guess. What’s the holdup with the official English release of this movie anyway?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Larryb posted:

Well it’s better than nothing I guess.

It's not. Because the movie is nothing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's a few interesting beats and i like some of what they do with the dynazenon cast but well they said 'rikka and yuta didnt get together because thatd be kinda boring' and then they were right

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The saving grace is that it was barely in the movie.

But I almost wish there was more of it because then the movie might have been about something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its weird because its not really good as a victory lap movie either because its not like its just an hour straight of mecha action like how the first girls und panzer movie is with tanks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's not an antagonist until the last quarter of the movie and they are never given a name, a personality, a motivation, or really many lines in general

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not. Because the movie is nothing.

the theme song was pretty sick tho

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah but I've already been listening to the theme song for most of the year

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

Well it’s better than nothing I guess. What’s the holdup with the official English release of this movie anyway?

No idea.

It's especially rough because it's a film built for the theaters. Huge moments that exist primarily to get crowds to cheer, lengthy fights, cool visuals, that kind of thing. And we know from Promare that Trigger mech stuff can sell in the west for theatrical, but... well, nothing.

Shame. It's a fun movie, even if on first watch it kind of felt like it was half animating unused crossover audio dramas and half giant monster fights.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well that sure was a movie that happened, it wasn’t as terrible as I’d expected but nothing to write home about either. I liked they included another live action bit though and the stuff that wasn’t about Yuta and Rikka wasn’t bad. I also liked that Second got to transform and Anti/Knight got a new form (they even brought back that random guy voiced by Naoto from the original live action series).

Akane’s magical girl transformation was a bit weird though but at least we got a good fight out of it

Still have no clue when this is going to be released officially or if they plan on doing more with the franchise (this did seem to wrap up a fair amount of stuff at least). The video quality wasn’t bad either by bootleg standards

Also I forget if it was ever mentioned in the movie but the villain is apparently called Mad Origin

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 22, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So there's another collab with another mobage and this is just getting ridiculous

https://twitter.com/ODEN_BB/status/1756224843539009963?t=yOTG4iKtoOdh1vG3MOkvEg&s=19

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Ah, the Ryza treatment, I see.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lmao and there's gonna be a figure

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the movie must have taken some weird turns

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Big Leg posted:

the movie must have taken some weird turns

None of these have anything to do with the film (which STILL doesn’t have a western release date for some reason though fansubs are available currently)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

None of these have anything to do with the film (which STILL doesn’t have a western release date for some reason though fansubs are available currently)

It even has official subs from playing on an airline flight. It's all the weirder since Trigger had a western released mecha anime film already, and it did gangbusters. Over 2.5 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

It even has official subs from playing on an airline flight. It's all the weirder since Trigger had a western released mecha anime film already, and it did gangbusters. Over 2.5 million.

It was also screened officially at a con a while back. But yeah, it’s weird it still hasn’t come to any streaming platform in the west yet

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 11, 2024