Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
inazumaaaaaaaaa

KIIIIIIIICK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017

Justin_Brett posted:

If anything he's too loyal, and thus, jealous of any other kaijus.

Wrong choice of words perhaps. What I meant was that he's all onboard with killing Gridman because that's specifically the reason why Akane created him, as opposed to flattening whatever little squishy human who pissed her off that day. The fire to fight fire. (He's even got the 'things got serious' forehead beeper!) But when Akane's goals change to 'go slaughter these dudes instead', he just nopes and sticks with glaring at her house waiting for Gridman. That's also why he starts beating up Akane's latest kaiju. HE is the one who must kill Gridman, not some other animated blown-up clay figure.

Maybe I should have called it the flexibility-upgrade, or the teamwork-upgrade instead.

quote:

words about feet
I think that removing her socks and putting on the broken glasses represents her taking off the mask she wears outside.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

maninthesuit posted:

I think that removing her socks and putting on the broken glasses represents her taking off the mask she wears outside.
Yeah maybe, but if so that imagery was chosen because the director likes feet

Speaking of broken things tho, I liked the detail on Akane's broken phone screen. I wondered if that meant anything, then later in the episode she chucked it at Anti and I cracked up. Akane does whatever the hell she wants and she's great for it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

She also lives in a room filled with garbage and doesn't seem to have any parents that we've seen so far (she kind of just comes and goes as she pleases). Akane is an interesting character and I'm looking forward to finding out what her actual deal is.

I could see Anti becoming sort of an uneasy ally later on as well (in the "nobody can kill you but me" sense at any rate).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 28, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah maybe, but if so that imagery was chosen because the director likes feet

You could say that about literally any imagery, tho

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
All I truly know about Toku mostly comes from Henshin History, but Anti is kinda just Hakaider, right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

All I truly know about Toku mostly comes from Henshin History, but Anti is kinda just Hakaider, right?

Same basic principle yes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ranzear posted:

Since the director already snuck his yuri novella characters in just for fun, couldn't we also just figure the ending is just somewhat meaningless shipbait too?

I'm not sure how the latter follows the former

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Motto posted:

I'm not sure how the latter follows the former

Yeah, I mean obviously someone on the team has a foot fetish and the series director is as good a guess as any, but there's nothing fetishy or fanservicey whatsoever about the presentation of Akane's friends. That's pretty much just on the same level as sneaking in Transformers references into the character design.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah, I mean obviously someone on the team has a foot fetish and the series director is as good a guess as any, but there's nothing fetishy or fanservicey whatsoever about the presentation of Akane's friends. That's pretty much just on the same level as sneaking in Transformers references into the character design.

The director wants to gently caress car robots

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

The director wants to gently caress car robots

Can't argue with that logic!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Some of them turn into planes

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
> Catching up, watching ep 3
> Gridman Max Combination Sequence

I’m getting the biggest case of Transformers Energon fuelled Dejon Mustard right now.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Ranzear posted:

Since the director already snuck his yuri novella characters in just for fun, couldn't we also just figure the ending is just somewhat meaningless shipbait too?

What does Akane's mom being a reference to a bad guy leader that turns into a gun mean about 4/5ths of the cast's repressed armpit fetish? Tune in next week to find out, same grid time, same grid channel.

Sometimes a reference is just a reference, man.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

ConanThe3rd posted:

> Catching up, watching ep 3
> Gridman Max Combination Sequence

I’m getting the biggest case of Transformers Energon fuelled Dejon Mustard right now.

Stock footage is extremely my jam.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Stock footage saves animator strain, I'm all for it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also it can serve a valuable dramatic purpose in Toku/Mecha stuff like this if it's not too long

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Larryb posted:

While Akane's great I kind of wish Alexis would actually do something at some point. So far all he seems to do is sit back and let Akane run the show (it doesn't even really seem like he's manipulating her all that much, they seem more like partners if anything), hopefully that'll change as the series goes on as honestly I'm not even sure what his plan is right now.

it feels like he's encouraging and nourishing her antisocial tendencies. to what end i can't say, but it feels to me like he's making her worse and worse

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Condiv posted:

it feels like he's encouraging and nourishing her antisocial tendencies. to what end i can't say, but it feels to me like he's making her worse and worse

True, he is at the very least enabling her at any rate (though unlike Khan Digifier/Kilokhan from the previous series it almost seems like she's the one in charge most of the time). I'm still betting that a betrayal is inevitable as we get closer to the end of the show and I'll be very curious to see what the fallout from that ends up being like.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Condiv posted:

Seems self-evident enough. If she started being better adjusted she might stop making monsters for him to zap into existence, as opposed to making progressively more deranged ones.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I feel like Anti may be the wild card in all this. Not only does he have a mind of his own and is smart enough to bail out when he's losing but because he was created explicitly to kill Gridman that's literally all he seems to care about (hell, in the most recent episode he even attacked another monster for getting in his way). Akane and Alexis may have shot themselves in the foot with this one, especially since the former seems to generally treat him like poo poo.

It also kind of begs the question of why would you create a sentient weapon that you can't control. though to be fair he can't really turn on her either (yet at least).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 29, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

I feel like Anti may be the wild card in all this. Not only does he have a mind of his own and is smart enough to bail out when he's losing but because he was created explicitly to kill Gridman that's literally all he seems to care about (hell, in the most recent episode he even attacked another monster for getting in his way). Akane and Alexis may have shot themselves in the foot with this one, especially since the former seems to generally treat him like poo poo.

I mean, at least for now the same thing that keeps him from attacking anyone but Gridman will presumably keep him from attacking Akane.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean, at least for now the same thing that keeps him from attacking anyone but Gridman will presumably keep him from attacking Akane.

True, she can at least keep him in check even if she can't fully control him (though I'm betting that it's only a matter of time now before the leash breaks).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Larryb posted:

It also kind of begs the question of why would you create a sentient weapon that you can't control. though to be fair he can't really turn on her either (yet at least).

Akane doesn't really seem to plan any farther ahead beyond "[person] has annoyed me, how can i make a kaiju kill them most effectively", so I doubt she really thought of the ramifications of Anti beyond "he should be really good at killing Gridman".

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair, she doesn't exactly think long term in regards to her plans so far and I'm assuming the reason he's still alive is because he probably came the closest to winning out of any monster so far and still has his uses. I just feel like this is probably going to come back to bite her before the end.

Come to think of it, her counterpart from the original series was kind of the same way. Most episodes would generally involve him getting ticked off about some minor annoyance and making a monster to get rid of it, which usually wound up creating an even bigger problem for the general public. He also had this creepy obsession with the female lead of that series and she was sometimes the target of his plans (which might carry over to Akane depending on how the relationship with her and Rikka ends up going).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 29, 2018

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Larryb posted:

True, she can at least keep him in check even if she can't fully control him (though I'm betting that it's only a matter of time now before the leash breaks).

More likely, he'll determine that she's standing in his way from killing Gridman.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The only way to kill gridman is by becoming his friend!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

And then Anti becomes the dyna dragon

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There's supposedly some leaked spoilers (or more accurately synopses) floating around for the entire rest of the show. They're not too in-depth, though they give some idea of what's coming.
Just to compare whenever the official one's posted later (should be in several hours, I think?), though, here's what episode 5's supposed to have according to it: Swimsuit episode, new support gattai (Buster Gridman), new kaiju "Goyabeck"?

Also, some stuff from episode 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o45YLAa3Ir4

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Wooser in the bus too

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Looks like the synopses may be on the level.

https://gridman.net/story/#/05

"Yuta and company head outside of the city for their field trip. Yuta, for the first time since having suffered from loss of memory, is excited. Yuta and the others enjoy their rafting down the river in the mountains until...?"

Of course, this would be the class trip mentioned in voice drama 3.3.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Anti will realize that the only way he can kill gridman is by becoming human.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Anti will realize that the only way he can kill gridman is by becoming human.

anti uses his fully human hands to hurl a brick at gridman's junk 386, finally securing victory

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

anti uses his fully human hands to hurl a brick at gridman's junk 386, finally securing victory

Or he’ll just empty a bottle of Pepsi over it. Gridman defeated!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I wholly expect something like that to happen, Yuta then downloads Gridman into his phone, and the higher specs of it allow for the final form to happen.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
upload gridman to the blockchain

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Gridman_email.exe

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
GridmanRV, his finisher is chucking Max at the enemy.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Well gently caress me for suggesting that maybe the ED is just an irrelevant and unrelated ED. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Y'all dealt with that just fine in DitF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ranzear posted:

Well gently caress me for suggesting that maybe the ED is just an irrelevant and unrelated ED. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Y'all dealt with that just fine in DitF.

except gridman is turning out to be a much more tightly directed product so it stands to reason the ED is significant too.